2008-2009 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I got denied a secondary from DMU. Ouch. I find it odd that they didn't at least wait till my second MCAT came out.

I got denied a secondary from DMU. Ouch. I find it odd that they didn't at least wait till my second MCAT came out.
was your MCAT lower than 24 (which i think is the cutoff)?

shouldnt they do that automatically if they know that it is coming? You should call the school and make sure they know.

edit: i didnt realize they screened.... what other DO schools screen?

shouldnt they do that automatically if they know that it is coming? You should call the school and make sure they know.

They do reevaluate you if you get a new mcat score, just contact them. They also have a gpa cutoff, a 3.0 i think for sciences and overall, and require bio chem now

I had a 25 on the first attempt. It was just a contrast to the 37s I was getting during my practice.

Hmmmm. I make all the cutoffs. I mean, the only other school I got denied from was VCU so far. I find it odd that Miami would give me a secondary but not DMU!''

I'd paste their reply, but it seems kind of whiny and lowball of me. It basically said I got checked out and I was deficient in something whether it was ECs, medical exposure, or grades. Although my ECs are fairly strong and I have well over 200 hours of shadowing as well as a father who is a physician...so who knows.

I had a 25 on the first attempt. It was just a contrast to the 37s I was getting during my practice.

Hmmmm. I make all the cutoffs. I mean, the only other school I got denied from was VCU so far. I find it odd that Miami would give me a secondary but not DMU!''

I'd paste their reply, but it seems kind of whiny and lowball of me. It basically said I got checked out and I was deficient in something whether it was ECs, medical exposure, or grades. Although my ECs are fairly strong and I have well over 200 hours of shadowing as well as a father who is a physician...so who knows.

seems fishy....i'd for sure check up on it if you are really intersted in DMU.

I emailed them. The lady is out of the office, so I guess I have to wait. It is one less secondary for now. I have quite a few to work on, so its not too much of a problem.

Hi everyone,

Do you guys think my chances are shot for DMU since I do not have a really clinical letter. I have an MD letter but it's from my research mentor. I believe I have other good letters but none are medical clinical letters.
DMU's not my top choice but I am still disheartened...

Thanks for any input!

Hi everyone,

Do you guys think my chances are shot for DMU since I do not have a really clinical letter. I have an MD letter but it's from my research mentor. I believe I have other good letters but none are medical clinical letters.

Thanks for any input!

Looking at the rest of your stats you are fine and probably good for an MD school as well. Just try and see.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any input!

what are you disheartened about? the lack of a clinical letter? it certainly isn't a plus, but the rest of your app is stellar. dont sweat it.

Mods: my fault-I forgot there was already a DMU thread. Merge please?
Thanks in advance--