** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to write my secondary essays, and was wondering how much

overlap can I have from my primary application (i.e. 50%, 100%)?

I summed it up very well on my primary application of why I want to

become an osteopathic physician, and feel as if my secondary essays

won't be as strong as the primary unless I use the same material. Any

responses are appreciated.

Hmm that is a tough one. On my primary, I didn't focus as much on why I wanted to be a DO (did mention it though), but primarily on why I wanted to study medicine and become a physician. I knew the secondaries would ask the 'why DO' question, so I saved it for that. In your case, any overlap is really not a good idea. Put yourself in the shoes of the reader...would you want to read the same thing twice?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the responses, they were definitely helpful.

Another question I had was that on some of my secondary apps, there is a space to fill in who your D.O. letter writer is, but I'm currently in the process of finding a physician to shadow.

I finally received an e-mail back from a doc, who said that he would probably be able to accomodate me, but he has yet to confirm this.

Should I

A) Submit my secondary apps with his name on it (even though he has yet to confirm that he'll be my letter writer). Worst case scenario call schools and tell them my letter writer has changed??

Or

B) Wait to have confirmation on my D.O. letter writer (which results in delayed secondaries). ----On side note my MCAT scores are released on 10/14/08, so I'm looking at not being complete until 11/01 ish at most places----

Thanks for the responses, they were definitely helpful.

Another question I had was that on some of my secondary apps, there is a space to fill in who your D.O. letter writer is, but I'm currently in the process of finding a physician to shadow.

I finally received an e-mail back from a doc, who said that he would probably be able to accomodate me, but he has yet to confirm this.

Should I

A) Submit my secondary apps with his name on it (even though he has yet to confirm that he'll be my letter writer). Worst case scenario call schools and tell them my letter writer has changed??

Or

B) Wait to have confirmation on my D.O. letter writer (which results in delayed secondaries). ----On side note my MCAT scores are released on 10/14/08, so I'm looking at not being complete until 11/01 ish at most places----

Sounds like you have til 10/14 to lock down a letter writer. If it doesn't happen by then, I'd just put your most likely candidate down and change it later, if needed. DO NOT hold up secondaries for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a list of schools that only send secondaries via snail mail...if there is i apologize for the repeat question as I am unable to find an answer.

is there a list of schools that only send secondaries via snail mail...if there is i apologize for the repeat question as I am unable to find an answer.

I know that Touro NV and CA do, as well as the PCOMs. However, all four also have them posted online, too.

hey guys i didnt get to read all the 550+ posts in this, but how much scrutinization is gone into getting a secodnary? does it mean you made first cuts, or that they just screened to see if you made minimum requirements?

hey guys i didnt get to read all the 550+ posts in this, but how much scrutinization is gone into getting a secodnary? does it mean you made first cuts, or that they just screened to see if you made minimum requirements?

Only a few schools have any kind of pre secondary screen, and even less will do any more than glance at your numbers on your primary. I'm trying to come up with a list (there's a thread, so anyone can help), but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Western looks heavily at primaries.

NYCOM doesn't give you a secondary unless you get an interview.

Touros screen for GPA/MCAT, but I don't remember what the cutoffs are and don't have time to find them right now.

For most schools, you haven't even been looked at until you submit everything, including primary, secondary, and fee.

WVSOM doesn't give you a secondary until you get an interview.

released 9/24, MCAT score should be sent to schools by monday or tuesday...i have only received midwestern's secondary, how long should I expect until I receive more. I applied to midwestern, pikeville, touro-CA, wvcom, unecom, lmu, nova, chicago, msu

Hello everyone! when do the secondaries start trickling in? I've received a few and it has been 3 days since my apps have been verified and sent out. is there a time span I should be looking at? and if schools are not going to be sending secondaries to you will they let me know or do I have to call them?

released 9/24, MCAT score should be sent to schools by monday or tuesday...i have only received midwestern's secondary, how long should I expect until I receive more. I applied to midwestern, pikeville, touro-CA, wvcom, unecom, lmu, nova, chicago, msu

Hello everyone! when do the secondaries start trickling in? I've received a few and it has been 3 days since my apps have been verified and sent out. is there a time span I should be looking at? and if schools are not going to be sending secondaries to you will they let me know or do I have to call them?

Give it a couple of weeks after being released before you get too anxious. Give them a call or email, at that point, if you haven't received them.

I'm working on some secondary prompts while my apps getting verified.

I have no trouble answering why school X would best fit me.

But I'm having a hard time answering: "Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?" It's the osteopathic part that gets me. I shadowed a DO anesthesiologist and my first instinct is to say that they're exactly the same as their MD counterparts, but I think I have to somehow weave the osteopathic philosophy BS into it. What do you think? I've seen anesthesiologists and ER docs with one or the other degree doing the same thing, working the same job. I honestly haven't seen the osteopathic philosophy come into play in either situation.

Another question I'm having trouble with is: "Why should we accept you?"

I've put down my individual qualities so far but nothing else. Should I talk about how I like the weather? The proximity to a large city?

Maybe how AZCOM would benefit if they let me in...but how would I go about explaining it?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on some secondary prompts while my apps getting verified.

I have no trouble answering why school X would best fit me.

But I'm having a hard time answering: "Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?" It's the osteopathic part that gets me. I shadowed a DO anesthesiologist and my first instinct is to say that they're exactly the same as their MD counterparts, but I think I have to somehow weave the osteopathic philosophy BS into it. What do you think? I've seen anesthesiologists and ER docs with one or the other degree doing the same thing, working the same job. I honestly haven't seen the osteopathic philosophy come into play in either situation.

Another question I'm having trouble with is: "Why should we accept you?"

I've put down my individual qualities so far but nothing else. Should I talk about how I like the weather? The proximity to a large city?

Maybe how AZCOM would benefit if they let me in...but how would I go about explaining it?

:confused:

For "Why DO?", I took the focus off the philosophical stuff and answered it more like "Why medicine?" + "What has drawn you towards osteopathic medicine?"

For the latter, I focused on all of the positive/inspirational/respectable qualities of the DO I shadowed. If he inspired me as a physician, than why wouldn't I want to follow in his path, which happened to be osteopathic medicine???

That being said, I did hit on a couple of philosophical points when they fit into my story/argument. However, they were certainly not the main points of the essays.

Why should we accept you?: Individual qualities = good. Interests in the weather/city = bad--talk about that when they ask "What brings/draws you to X?" during an interview. If you have reasons why a school would benefit from letting you in, then by all means talk about that. If you plan to do research, teach, or something else that would contribute, they'd like to hear about it. If you have leadership experience, that would add something to your incoming class. Perhaps you've been a tutor/TA/etc. and love helping your peers--very useful and they love that stuff.

I had my primary for AACOMAS verified on September 1st, so I started receiving secondarys about a week or two after that. Since i had already been filling out applications for MD schools, these applications got pushed back a little on my schedule. i am finally starting to submit them, and hope to get em in by the end of this week or next week. im applying to PCOM, CCOM, TouroNYCOM, and UMDNJCOM. i was wondering if it is considered too late to be submitting them righ tnow. Thanks for your help!!

I had my primary for AACOMAS verified on September 1st, so I started receiving secondarys about a week or two after that. Since i had already been filling out applications for MD schools, these applications got pushed back a little on my schedule. i am finally starting to submit them, and hope to get em in by the end of this week or next week. im applying to PCOM, CCOM, TouroNYCOM, and UMDNJCOM. i was wondering if it is considered too late to be submitting them righ tnow. Thanks for your help!!

So you mean that the MD secondaries were more important??!! Well, we see how it is... :p

No, it's not too late. Submit them ASAP.

lol not that they were more important but my amcas got verified way earlier.. aacomas took so long!
but thnx for the response, hopefully ill be alrite

Hello,
I was verified by AACOMAS around the second week of September.
I received secondaries from Chicago and Ohio.
Yet I haven't received from UMDNJ/PCOM/TUCOM

Approximately, how long does it to take to receive the secondaries after being verified?
I am starting to get worried...

Hello,
I was verified by AACOMAS around the second week of September.
I received secondaries from Chicago and Ohio.
Yet I haven't received from UMDNJ/PCOM/TUCOM

Approximately, how long does it to take to receive the secondaries after being verified?
I am starting to get worried...

Well you get verified, then AACOMAS sends out your app up to a week later, then schools might take a couple of weeks to process it and send you a secondary. TUCOM is the only one that you haven't received that I know screens primaries for GPA/MCAT. That could take an extra 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

You could certainly contact the schools now to get the ball rolling. If you don't have them all in a week or two, I'd definitely be on the phone.

Koojo, congrats on the invite to WVSOM. have you already interviewed? can you (or anybody) post the secondary prompt here. thx

Koojo, congrats on the invite to WVSOM. have you already interviewed? can you (or anybody) post the secondary prompt here. thx

Here is the prompt: Please state your reasons for wishing to become an Osteopathic Physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year's class.

Please check out this thread for more info. I just had my interview today: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525689

So... potentially stupid question; I completed a search, but really haven't found a post equivalent yet.

Just how big of a deal is the two week proposed deadline? I'm going into week 5 and 6 on some of my secondaries... I really am trying, but I'm also trying to write the essays well.

My school finally got around to mailing out the ****ing committee packet after a month, so I'm officially complete now! The acceptances are gonna start pouring in!

is there a list of links to secondary applications anywhere? since it is taking 6weeks to processes apps i was wanting to get my secondaries finished up. is it possible to see the questions and work on them before you are processed or do you need to wait for an email invite to complete them?

is there a list of links to secondary applications anywhere? since it is taking 6weeks to processes apps i was wanting to get my secondaries finished up. is it possible to see the questions and work on them before you are processed or do you need to wait for an email invite to complete them?

This link adds WVSOM to the link posted above.

Hey did anyone with under a 23 mcat get a secondary from touro-ca? If so, did you submit the secondary? I'm suspicious of this whole screening process, it seems like they send everyone a secondary.

Hey did anyone with under a 23 mcat get a secondary from touro-ca? If so, did you submit the secondary? I'm suspicious of this whole screening process, it seems like they send everyone a secondary.

I recall some people saying they received a secondary, took the time to fill it out and submit, only to have it un-submitted once the school realized their scores were under 23. Seems like this was for NV, but CA would probably do the same.

If you got a secondary with a 23, I'd call before wasting your time filling it out.

Tells us about yourself...

The hardest question in the world...

Do they want to know that I like running, backpacking, fishing, and old movies?

Do they want to know why I decided to go to medical school?

Do they want to hear about my kids?

Do they want to know I play the piano?

What exactly is this question asking?

Probably, it means something different to everyone that answers it. I've got the rest of the secondary done, but would love any suggestions people might have, or ideas about the types of responses you've provided to this question.

Hey all I was just verified on thursday and Im really starting question if I should submit secondaries at all due to my low first mcat score (taken as practice, i know i know but its in the past) even though I marked on my primary that I would be retaking in january. My application otherwise shows that I have about 3000hrs in the ER as an EMT plus another 1500 hrs on a BLS ambulance and lastely 4.5 years at a vet clinic. I have minimal volunteer hrs due to working so many hours and my science GPA is 3.1. I applied originally because I didnt want to say to myself "what if" had I waited to apply until I recieve the new/better MCAT in january. What is everyone's opinion based on the rest of my application. P.S I also have great LOR from DO and two great professors.

15...buuuutt as said above that was a "practice" bad on my part yes but at the time I had not taken phy II, org II, genetics, or biochem...I have been studying 30 hrs a week since sept 1st and have finished all of those classes so I know I will do MUCH better but ya know...Im applying to 13 schools, none of which screen pre-secondary..unecom, vcom, oucom, lecom-b, pcom, pcom-ga, rvucom, dmu obviously there are others but im in the ER right now and cant recall.

Im doing my first aamc practice test this sunday since ive started studying in sep...ive planned 3 more between now and december and probably something like 5 more in december.

15...buuuutt as said above that was a "practice" bad on my part yes but at the time I had not taken phy II, org II, genetics, or biochem...I have been studying 30 hrs a week since sept 1st and have finished all of those classes so I know I will do MUCH better but ya know...Im applying to 13 schools, none of which screen pre-secondary..unecom, vcom, oucom, lecom-b, pcom, pcom-ga, rvucom, dmu obviously there are others but im in the ER right now and cant recall.

Are you taking practice tests and consistently scoring in your desired range? Or have you been making steady improvements and see yourself in the 26+ range by January?

If the answer is YES to either, I'd submit them. If the answer is NO or I DON'T KNOW, then I'd reevaluate my study habits with a quickness. If the answer didn't turn to YES soon, I'd expect to just wait until next May to apply.

tomorrow sunday yes...that will be the first practice one since ive started studying so I dont really have any statistics as of yet...my biggest concern is that I return the secondaries all paid for etc etc and then they see my wopping 15 and they hear the mario brothers game over music in their heads...so I guess im just not sure if the rest of my app. is going to have them saying "lets wait to see what his jan score is" before the shredder gets mentioned

and I see an A in biochem in my near semester ending future...sorry im just ecstatic biochem is coming along this easy for me

Realistically speaking, you won't get in with a 3.1 and a 15.

Will DO schools still accept the January MCAT for this application year? If they will, then you really don't need to apply until the deadline. They won't look at your app till then. So just wait and see how your practice tests are. Also, to be on the safe side, score 5 (or so) points higher on the practice tests than what you hope to get on the real thing. For myself and many others, that seemed to be the trend.

I just applied to AZCOM, Nova, KCUMB, Pikeville, Philadelphia (PCOM) last wednesday (10/8) when do secondaries come in for these? Are all these invite only secondaries or is their a link I can go to and fill out?

Just worried because I haven't heard anything yet...