2008-2009 UMass Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as a Mass resident...you should go. It never hurts to have a financial safety available.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like no news today. :( That makes me a saaaaaaaaaaaaad panda

Hi, Linguini

I love ELF, it is one of the few movies I can watch over and over again, which I do with my son, and it always makes me laugh.

I love Elf too...obviously! I plan to watch it at least 3 times before the holiday season is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Elf too...obviously! I plan to watch it at least 3 times before the holiday season is over.
Yes, the holiday season is always an awesome excuse to watch Elf.
And it really does put you in the xmas spirit.:)

For all those that have been waiting for a while: cheer up! I have been complete since late September and just got my interview invite this evening. First interview too! I'm scheduled for next Tuesday, 12/9. Seems a bit short notice doesn't it? Anyway, I'm very excited. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear something.

thanks for this message, thompa. i've been complete since 10/20 (due to retaking the mcat in september) and was beginning to freak out. hopefully, they'll review my file soon.:xf:

Hey Guys,
Anyone know how long it takes UMASS to notify you of their decision? Also, do they do it via email?

Thanks!

How many interviews does Umass give out?

Also, guys dont be too down. During my interview, the admission lady said that half of the current 1st year class came off the waiting list.. everyone be hopeful!

Here are the stats from US News and World from Fall 2007:

803 applied, 470 interviewed, 183 were accepted, 103 enrolled

How many interviews does Umass give out?

Also, guys dont be too down. During my interview, the admission lady said that half of the current 1st year class came off the waiting list.. everyone be hopeful!

Hey Guys,
Anyone know how long it takes UMASS to notify you of their decision? Also, do they do it via email?

Thanks!

I had my interview on Tuesday. They said that some people hear within a few weeks, and others may not hear until May. So as a general rule, don't expect anything from UMASS anytime soon. If you get something soon, congrats, otherwise, don't panic. And yes, they inform you via email.

Anyone been accepted since 11/21? That was the Friday RIGHT after my interview so I wasn't expecting anything, but if there have been acceptances since that's another story altogether.

Umass is my only interview so far and has been my dream school since forever and was amazing when I interviewed. I give myself waaayy too many liberties imagining myself going to school there.

I bet something's gonna happen to someone today.:luck:

I bet something's gonna happen to someone today.:luck:

You mean besides a massive snowstorm? :p Let's just hope they get those acceptances out before the admissions office staff get sent home!! :luck:

You mean besides a massive snowstorm? :p Let's just hope they get those acceptances out before the admissions office staff get sent home!! :luck:

It's kind of sad that I was worried about the same thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete in early september and haven't heard anything at all yet. Anyone else in my boat? I wanted to let people who are in my position know that the first time I applied, which was in 2006 (2 cycles ago), I didn't hear ANYTHING until february, when I got an interview invite for March. Of course I didn't get in, so that might not be so uplifting, but it might help to know that just because you haven't had an invite yet doesn't mean you won't. *knock on wood, fingers crossed*

Also- I've been accepted at my other favorite med school so my story has a happy ending. :)

I was complete in early september and haven't heard anything at all yet. Anyone else in my boat? I wanted to let people who are in my position know that the first time I applied, which was in 2006 (2 cycles ago), I didn't hear ANYTHING until february, when I got an interview invite for March. Of course I didn't get in, so that might not be so uplifting, but it might help to know that just because you haven't had an invite yet doesn't mean you won't. *knock on wood, fingers crossed*

Also- I've been accepted at my other favorite med school so my story has a happy ending. :)

Thank you for your story / input. And I am happy to hear that is has a happy ending.

Here are the stats from US News and World from Fall 2007:

803 applied, 470 interviewed, 183 were accepted, 103 enrolled

I don't know if anyone told you guys, but those numbers are a bit outdated. The class of 2012 is 114 strong, and the class of 2013 will have 125 students. Since I doubt that the number of applications have increased by 25%, your odds are significantly better than a couple of years ago. Happy holidays!

I don't know if anyone told you guys, but those numbers are a bit outdated. The class of 2012 is 114 strong, and the class of 2013 will have 125 students. Since I doubt that the number of applications have increased by 25%, your odds are significantly better than a couple of years ago. Happy holidays!

Solid reasoning! And you are awesome for taking the time to tell us this. Thanks!

Congrats Ashley! Just wondering, you interviewed on a Friday?? (I interviewed Oct 21st, so I guess they have reviewed our applications already...)

scrubslover, I interviewed on a Wednesday (Oct 22nd), but I'm surprised I heard back so soon. I know they can drag out their acceptances because they can't over accept. Good luck!

Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiday guys!!

I have heard that a lot of people from last year didn't hear back from Umass until May. Is that generally true with Umass? Should I even be expecting anything from now til April or May? =T

I have heard that a lot of people from last year didn't hear back from Umass until May. Is that generally true with Umass? Should I even be expecting anything from now til April or May? =T

Expect? No. Hope? Yes. I remember from the interview that we may not hear anything until May, but I would certainly love to hear something before then. And, to make matters worse/more anxiety producing: they're expanding the class size to 125. But that won't happen until August. So there are going to be about 11 people or so who will get a phone call...in August, saying they're accepted. So pray you get accepted before then :).

Also, my December 9th interview isn't looking so hot if you two interviewed in October and still haven't heard anything.

Not to sound horribly depressing or anything, but today I think is the first day I have ever felt like just maybe I should throw in the towel. But don't worry, fans:laugh:, I am sure I will snap out of it.

Not to sound horribly depressing or anything, but today I think is the first day I have ever felt like just maybe I should throw in the towel. But don't worry, fans:laugh:, I am sure I will snap out of it.

Don't worry yet! I interviewed on December 10th and one of my interviewers told me that the adcom wouldn't meet in December because it was such a short month for interviews. He said that they would meet again in "mid to late January." Based on sdn, acceptances were given 10/17 and 11/21, the third Friday in those months. So I'm betting next Friday will be the next round of news :xf:

Don't worry yet! I interviewed on December 10th and one of my interviewers told me that the adcom wouldn't meet in December because it was such a short month for interviews. He said that they would meet again in "mid to late January." Based on sdn, acceptances were given 10/17 and 11/21, the third Friday in those months. So I'm betting next Friday will be the next round of news :xf:

Thanks!! Did he say if they review everyone then, or only people who interviewed from like November-Jan?

haven't heard anything from umass. I was complete in september. I'm assuming it's a loss at this point. I interview there last year. This year I have more experience but I guess they don't like me.

Thank you!! It is nice to have some concrete info...

haven't heard anything from umass. I was complete in september. I'm assuming it's a loss at this point. I interview there last year. This year I have more experience but I guess they don't like me.
I definitely wouldn't say it is a loss yet. It seems like they should have invited you already, but there are so many stories where they wait, wait, wait, and then that person ends up getting accepted a month after the interview, finally. They are always throwing curve balls. I would give it at least another month.

Thanks!! Did he say if they review everyone then, or only people who interviewed from like November-Jan?

Unfortunately, he didn't say. But the med students we met with talked about how UMass has to be so careful with the number they accept so they have a very organized / prioritized list once people have interviewed. One of my interviewers made it sound like everyone who has interviewed favorably since 11/21 (the last round of acceptances) will be presented by the interviewers to the adcom, and my educated guess is that ones who interviewed well before then are also reviewed -- but it's just a guess. As we all know UMass can only take 125, so they are really slow to give acceptances but they seem quicker to reject. My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that if you've made it this far without any news, you may be one of their top priorities.

Also, just about half of last year's class came from the waitlist, so there is still hope. A 1st year student I met said that if you even get an interview at UMass, they're seriously considering you. The way she explained it is that most of the time the only difference between getting accepted and waitlisted is simply that UMass can't accomodate all the qualified people -- if they could, they would accept a lot more, which is why they keep such a long waitlist. Anyways, I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, he didn't say. But the med students we met with talked about how UMass has to be so careful with the number they accept so they have a very organized / prioritized list once people have interviewed. One of my interviewers made it sound like everyone who has interviewed favorably since 11/21 (the last round of acceptances) will be presented by the interviewers to the adcom, and my educated guess is that ones who interviewed well before then are also reviewed -- but it's just a guess. As we all know UMass can only take 125, so they are really slow to give acceptances but they seem quicker to reject. My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that if you've made it this far without any news, you may be one of their top priorities.

Also, just about half of last year's class came from the waitlist, so there is still hope. A 1st year student I met said that if you even get an interview at UMass, they're seriously considering you. The way she explained it is that most of the time the only difference between getting accepted and waitlisted is simply that UMass can't accomodate all the qualified people -- if they could, they would accept a lot more, which is why they keep such a long waitlist. Anyways, I hope this helps!

you just made me feel a lot better! haha thanks!

haven't heard anything today, but i'm guessing the next round should be going out next week if we are going with that whole third friday of the month post from a few up. the first friday of this month was the 2nd, and i doubt that the school was in session then.

anyone else thinking the same thing?

haven't heard anything today, but i'm guessing the next round should be going out next week if we are going with that whole third friday of the month post from a few up. the first friday of this month was the 2nd, and i doubt that the school was in session then.

anyone else thinking the same thing?

I was wondering the same thing... I think it probably doesn't matter if school wasn't open on 1/2 though. I don't know.. either this week or next week.

(On a side note, next Friday is my birthday! Come on UMass, present please? :love:)

I was wondering the same thing... I think it probably doesn't matter if school wasn't open on 1/2 though. I don't know.. either this week or next week.

(On a side note, next Friday is my birthday! Come on UMass, present please? :love:)

hahahhaa well my birthday is tomorrow, so i'm just hoping UMass doesn't ruin it lol

How long does it take for UMASS to make decisions? I interviewed the first week of december and still nothing. I am also OOS and applied to the MD/PhD program if this changes anything.

How long does it take for UMASS to make decisions? I interviewed the first week of december and still nothing. I am also OOS and applied to the MD/PhD program if this changes anything.

Assuming the dual degree program is dealt with in a similar fashion as the MD program, then your guess is as good as anyone's at this point. I also interviewed first week of December, and so far nothing. I'm just straight MD, but they said it could be May before you hear any acceptance decisions. So cross your fingers for earlier, but don't be surprised if its still several more months.

hey Chessodoc,

May I ask who interviewed you?

I also applied MD/PhD, also in early December. One of my interviewers told me that the adcom reviews both MD-only and dual degree candidates at the same time and that "the top applicants should expect an acceptance in January." ... Here's to hoping that's us, ha!:xf:

As far as the wait goes, I'm hoping that now that the deadline has passed for the MD/PhD secondary, they will start handing out decisions. I haven't heard of any acceptances to date, but that could also be because they generally matriculate about 7-10 students, so maybe they want to at least see everyone on paper before they go handing acceptances out?

The one piece of bad news for OOS applicants is that because the school (and consequently, the MD/PhD program) is funded by the commonwealth, they are capped at 3-4 OOS applicants per year. Anne Michelson explained that it's because the school has to pick up the tab for OOS-ers, whereas the state technically pays for IS students. :cool:

Well here's to hoping that scrubslover's birthday is a good one for us all! :D

I also applied MD/PhD, also in early December. One of my interviewers told me that the adcom reviews both MD-only and dual degree candidates at the same time and that "the top applicants should expect an acceptance in January." ... Here's to hoping that's us, ha!:xf:

As far as the wait goes, I'm hoping that now that the deadline has passed for the MD/PhD secondary, they will start handing out decisions. I haven't heard of any acceptances to date, but that could also be because they generally matriculate about 7-10 students, so maybe they want to at least see everyone on paper before they go handing acceptances out?

The one piece of bad news for OOS applicants is that because the school (and consequently, the MD/PhD program) is funded by the commonwealth, they are capped at 3-4 OOS applicants per year. Anne Michelson explained that it's because the school has to pick up the tab for OOS-ers, whereas the state technically pays for IS students. :cool:

Well here's to hoping that scrubslover's birthday is a good one for us all! :D

I hope you had a good birthday eleven!!

Also, I was looking at last year's acceptance thread and it seems that a few people who interviewed all the way back in September were accepted in January. So who knows when we hear!! (I interviewed in October and they said we could hear as late as April... boo)

So yeah, let's hope for Friday!! :)

Can't remember from the finaid presentation but does UMass have any institutional aid (need or merit) since it's so cheap to begin with?

Can't remember from the finaid presentation but does UMass have any institutional aid (need or merit) since it's so cheap to begin with?

From what I remember, they have some need aid (if you provide both your parents' tax returns (If they are divorced, I think.)) I don't remember anything about merit.

From what I remember, they have some need aid (if you provide both your parents' tax returns (If they are divorced, I think.)) I don't remember anything about merit.

The UMass catalog says

"Students and their families ... share the major responsibility of financing undergraduate medical education. Because the majority of financial assistance available to medical students is loan aid, UMMS encourages only those students who are unable to fund their own education to apply for financial aid....

To be eligible for financial assistance ... they must owe neither a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Grant, or a State Student Incentive Grant, nor be in default on a Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan ... (etc.) received for study at any post-secondary institution. "

The link is http://www.umassmed.edu/uploadedFiles/umsom_5_tuition_aid.pdf if anyone wants to read the rest. I wonder if that second section applies to students who are undergrads now, since we would still be considered students and therefore should still be able to defer the loans, even though UMass makes it sound that at least the first type must be repaid.

The website also describes gift aid (although it seems pretty limited) and loan repayment programs. If you guys are planning on staying in MA to practice, it's also worth looking into loan forgiveness programs. Information on the Learning Contract at UMass (paying back with service) can be found at http://www.umassmed.edu/financialaid/learn_contract/index.aspx

All this third friday of the month thing is making me tweak out twice as hard about tomorrow. Here's to good news for all of us in the morning!

All this third friday of the month thing is making me tweak out twice as hard about tomorrow. Here's to good news for all of us in the morning!

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!!!

I don't even know if it's true, I just happened to notice that's what happened in October and November ... just tell yourself it's a coincidence, and that there will be no decisions made tomorrow. At least that's what I'm trying to do ... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.