2008-2009 WashU Secondary Application Thread - Pt 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know if the adcom is meeting tonight? does anybody want to call the admissions office and find out? ... i want to know... :(

Members don't see this ad.

So I hung out with a bunch of M1 and 2s last night, and they have this to say:

SDN, stop being so crazy about WashU and panicking about acceptances. We have the complete list of students accepted, and its only about 1/3 of the usual number.

Now what kind of SDN would this be if we didn't do that?:confused:

One third of the usual number of matriculants, total acceptances, or acceptances by this time of year?:laugh::thumbup::luck:

Thanks for the heads up!

Acceptances :). I won't quote any numbers, but I was told that they haven't even accepted 1 class size worth of students yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptances :). I won't quote any numbers, but I was told that they haven't even accepted 1 class size worth of students yet.

So that means that they have accepted less than 110 people total, when they normally accept between 300 and 350 students. Just chill!

Any news this morning for anyone?

I figured if there was an adcom meeting last night as some had suggested the lucky ones would have received e-mails this morning.

Check your inboxes and let us know!

I think they might wait another week before they actually send out the emails

So that means that they have accepted less than 110 people total, when they normally accept between 300 and 350 students. Just chill!

That's actually reason to panic a little! That means there are waaaay more bomb-@$$ applicants not on SDN/mdapplicants than ON SDN/mdapplicants. That pokes holes in the theory that all the gunners are on SDN...

14 people accepted @ WashU on mdapps. Probably a few SDNers who were accepted and don't do mdapps. That means there are 80-90 bomb-@$$ gunners who we know nothing about but they are better than us (assuming 100-110 accepted right now...)

not to worry anyone too much though lol

I interviewed early October and have heard nothing.

edit: maybe the accepted students aren't gunners, but whoever they are we don't know anything about them and they are holding acceptances. Imagine how qualified they must be, if they can get into WashU without even having SDN cred! :scared:

Last edited:
I really didn't feel that WashU was a gunner haven (Hi Jennifer, if you read this. You read my post about my dad getting the wrong Dean Letter). The fact that they have a uncurved grading system, plus 1 year of pass fail seems to cut down seriously on at least "gun me down" gunners. I see nothing wrong with the "study really hard" gunner, and I think most medical students have a mentality like this. I think the only person that they risk hurting is themselves if they take the studying too far and not providing unwinding time and time to expand your experiences with friends, or even doing community service. I was actually happily surprised at how non "wash U stereotype" everyone was, and their schedule seems to keep everyone as relaxed as you could hope as a medical student. I was super impressed by the atmosphere there.

Last edited:
interviewed in mid october... and nada.:yawn:

I am coming to interview on January 27th! Anyone have any info on what happens interview day??? How late does it go, is it safe to take a 6:30 flight out????

Members don't see this ad :)
I am coming to interview on January 27th! Anyone have any info on what happens interview day??? How late does it go, is it safe to take a 6:30 flight out????

Interview day is pretty well structured. You'll have a nice breakfast with students, either 1 or two interviews, a tour, a pretty nice lunch (by interview standards) and some free time to explore. Its really relaxed, i think Wash U does a great job with their interview days. The day ends at like 3ish? My flight was at 4:20pm and I made it with 30 minutes left to spare, so I think you'll be fine. The light rail goes from the airport directly to the front door of the med school.

hey mdebear i guess ill see you on the 27th., which is also my birthday lol. i was so excited when i got my interview invite and the news of so few acceptances is great. i go to a "podunk" school and was worried that they would skip over us but i think wash u has come a long way to realizing that smart people go to other schools too.

so any tips on how to do well on the interview? is there any way to find out who my interviewers are before the interview? can i bring my parents to the interview?

hey mdebear i guess ill see you on the 27th., which is also my birthday lol. i was so excited when i got my interview invite and the news of so few acceptances is great. i go to a "podunk" school and was worried that they would skip over us but i think wash u has come a long way to realizing that smart people go to other schools too.

so any tips on how to do well on the interview? is there any way to find out who my interviewers are before the interview? can i bring my parents to the interview?

The interview is more conversational than any "conversational" interview you've ever had. They'll tell you who your interviewer is a few days before hand. As to your last question, I'm sure if they have a hotel that they'd like to stay in, that'd be fine so long as they don't hang out with you on interview day.:thumbup:

i'm starting to wish WashU was non-rolling and just told everyone on one specific day. I hate this waiting-- it's so torturous! Have there been any mid January acceptances?!

Judging by SDN and mdapps, I would bet that there have been ~zero mid-January acceptances extended by WashU. It is possible, but extremely unlikely, that a school like WashU would extend acceptances to a group of neurotic over-achievers without there being any evidence...

I think someone said that there was going to be a meeting this Thursday:

I don't know if they met yesterday (Jan. 9), but I was told at my interview that the med school adcom is meeting in two weeks from yesterday.

Rejected!

Pre-interview, complete in sept. Not a big surprise, my MCAT is far below their average...

Smallish envelope rec'd in mail on Saturday.

Rejected!

Pre-interview, complete in sept. Not a big surprise, my MCAT is far below their average...

Smallish envelope rec'd in mail on Saturday.

I'm sorry :(

Status page gets updated Saturdays at 6 AM according to some post in the old thread. No idea of the veracity of the statement though... Or the time zone.

gotcha. thanks :)

WashU is still sending out interview invitations. I got one today after being complete at the end of August (!). Surprised my (relatively) low MCAT didn't keep me out.

I just got an interview offer 3 days ago and am interviewing this friday. I applied along the the MSTP pathway, but I am doing two of the MD-only interviews that I received. Can anyone tell me what the interview consists of. I know what to expect for MSTP interviews, but I'm worried that MD-only interviews may be very different. What kind of questions do they usually ask at WashU?

I just got an interview offer 3 days ago and am interviewing this friday. I applied along the the MSTP pathway, but I am doing two of the MD-only interviews that I received. Can anyone tell me what the interview consists of. I know what to expect for MSTP interviews, but I'm worried that MD-only interviews may be very different. What kind of questions do they usually ask at WashU?

the interviews at WashU are nothing to worry about. They ask you the main questions they ask everywhere else: why doctor? why WashU? and just be ready to explain all of the activities listed on your AMCAS application.

dmargul, did you get a snail mail letter or did your status page get updated from 'complete?'

Does anyone have an guesstimate of what % of interviewees are accepted?

dmargul, did you get a snail mail letter or did your status page get updated from 'complete?'

I stopped checking my status page after I got rejected from their MSTP, so i'm not sure about that. I also don't know if they sent a letter home or not. I did receive an email though.

Interview invite today after being complete since July! It definitely put a smile on my face after the end of a looong day at work. :)

Interview invite today after being complete since July! It definitely put a smile on my face after the end of a looong day at work. :)

The same thing happened to me too! From looking at the available interview dates, it's possible that we could be the last batch. They didn't have anything open beyond the second week of February...

I also received an interview invite today. I was (technically) just complete today because my LOR's sent through Interfolio on 12/12 hadn't been matched. I emailed them last night, was notified it was straightened out and I was complete this morning, and had an interview invite in my inbox when I got home from class. Not a bad turn around time!

Is anybody else going to be there on 2/3?

31.187%

3062 applied, 1087 interviewed, 339 were accepted, 122 enrolled

Thanks for the stats! Odds could be better. I think I'm going to decline due to a serious lack of $$$! Good luck all!

Thanks for the stats! Odds could be better. I think I'm going to decline due to a serious lack of $$$! Good luck all!

On the contrary, those are good odds for a top 5 school! I flipped through a USA news and world report, and I believe that they accept almost twice that of most of the Top 10 (percentage wise). Apparently, a lot of people would rather impress patients than residency directors with their medical school :laugh:. One of the medical students mentioned to me that a lot of people flat out decide that they couldn't stand St. Louis, so that might also contribute.

Got a small envelope from WashU today in the mail. I had a heart attack! Turns out, it was the bill for my extra night at Olin Hall. Whew, dodged the bullet. :laugh:

On the contrary, those are good odds for a top 5 school! I flipped through a USA news and world report, and I believe that they accept almost twice that of most of the Top 10 (percentage wise). Apparently, a lot of people would rather impress patients than residency directors with their medical school :laugh:. One of the medical students mentioned to me that a lot of people flat out decide that they couldn't stand St. Louis, so that might also contribute.

Probably not good odds with a measly 34 MCAT :oops: I withdrew my application today.

I don't know if this has been settled but they are definitely only interviewing through the 2nd week of February this year. This was in the email I received from them this morning: "We are scheduling in the first and second week of February now, and then we will be finished for the year." When I just logged onto the calendar only the 12th and 13th still have interview spots.

Probably not good odds with a measly 34 MCAT :oops: I withdrew my application today.

I don't know if this has been settled but they are definitely only interviewing through the 2nd week of February this year. This was in the email I received from them this morning: "We are scheduling in the first and second week of February now, and then we will be finished for the year." When I just logged onto the calendar only the 12th and 13th still have interview spots.

For statistical purposes, this season (for them) has ended a week and a half earlier than last year.

I just got accepted! Got an email about the Olin Scholarship telling me I was accepted and should apply for that. Good luck to everyone else :luck:

Also, my status page has not updated.

I just got accepted! Got an email about the Olin Scholarship telling me I was accepted and should apply for that. Good luck to everyone else :luck:

Wow you are kicking a** and taking names this cycle. Congratulations!!!

Congratulations! I thought Wash U calls though. Does everyone get an email too?

Gratz skiqueen! When did you interview?

Gratz skiqueen! When did you interview?

I interviewed end of October. I got the feeling from the email that they are notifying people a little differently today because the deadline for the Olin scholarship is in 10 days. They said the committee met last night and that they wanted to send an email ASAP so people could still apply for the scholarship. I'm thinking it wouldn't be surprising if they only discussed females last night, but who knows.

I interviewed end of October. I got the feeling from the email that they are notifying people a little differently today because the deadline for the Olin scholarship is in 10 days. They said the committee met last night and that they wanted to send an email ASAP so people could still apply for the scholarship. I'm thinking it wouldn't be surprising if they only discussed females last night, but who knows.

grr. I am a male, "over represented minority" east asian. I wish I was a female caucasian or URM :(

Can you check your status page every day or two and tell us if/when its updated?

Oh, and to whoever asked about WashU calling, thats only if your personal interviewer decides to call you.

Status
Not open for further replies.