2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which OSU, and clinical or counseling?

Imma take a wild stab, considering the area he is applying around (Memphis etc) imma guess its Oklahoma, also, if I remember correct isnt the OSU deadline not until like January something? So they def wouldnt sending that stuff out yet?

Nevermind, just looked and both deadlines are the 1st, but I am still willing to bet 10 pence its Oklahoma

Members don't see this ad.

Imma take a wild stab, considering the area he is applying around (Memphis etc) imma guess its Oklahoma, also, if I remember correct isnt the OSU deadline not until like January something? So they def wouldnt sending that stuff out yet?

Nevermind, just looked and both deadlines are the 1st, but I am still willing to bet 10 pence its Oklahoma

I'm pretty sure that Oklahoma's deadline is Jan. 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, not sure this will be relevant to an American board, BUT this is a fun experience, just got my Clearing House notification that I will be interviewing for (or not interviewing at) the following UK schools:
Interview: University College London, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
University of Cambridge, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology

Rejection: University of Oxford, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology

Interview weekend for this is negotiable, but interview weekend at the NIH is Feb 23-24 (fortunately I live here :) ) *NoteL This is a joint NIH/GPP programs, the deadlines for the GPP are not until Jan 1, but the Clearing House deadlines were Dec 1st.

Cheers! :)

well, not sure this will be relevant to an American board, BUT this is a fun experience, just got my Clearing House notification that I will be interviewing for (or not interviewing at) the following UK schools:
Interview: University College London, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
University of Cambridge, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology

Rejection: University of Oxford, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology

Interview weekend for this is negotiable, but interview weekend at the NIH is Feb 23-24 (fortunately I live here :) ) *NoteL This is a joint NIH/GPP programs, the deadlines for the GPP are not until Jan 1, but the Clearing House deadlines were Dec 1st.

Cheers! :)

sorry wrong board :( I am tired....

Should I feel badly for asking my LOR writers to complete so many forms? I feel like I am not giving them a break!

I decided to apply for some Master's programs but am a little uncomfortable to ask them for even more letters.

Should I feel badly for asking my LOR writers to complete so many forms? I feel like I am not giving them a break!

I decided to apply for some Master's programs but am a little uncomfortable to ask them for even more letters.

I felt a little bad about the number of forms I was giving my recommenders too... but I keep reminding myself that this is what they signed on for when they agreed to write my letters of recommendation. I think whatever minor inconvenience this will cause for your recommenders is completely justified by the potential benefit to you.

I "helped" my recommenders by filling in all the form information I could - i.e. addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.

I "helped" my recommenders by filling in all the form information I could - i.e. addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.

There is an understanding by (most) faculty that this is part of the process. Most supervisors/professors will not have a problem with the request, but try and be as organized as possible.

I am being lame - I just made myself some little Excel spreadsheets with when I might expect to hear on an interview from my various schools and when the interview dates have historically been, based on the last 3 years' Interview Invites threads....

I suppose my lack of life is good practice for grad school....

I am being lame - I just made myself some little Excel spreadsheets with when I might expect to hear on an interview from my various schools and when the interview dates have historically been, based on the last 3 years' Interview Invites threads....

I suppose my lack of life is good practice for grad school....

Haha, I've been surviving on spreadsheets too! I've been keeping track of all my schools on a 30-column sheet with every possible detail I might ever need to know about each program.

...I love spreadsheets. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I've been surviving on spreadsheets too! I've been keeping track of all my schools on a 30-column sheet with every possible detail I might ever need to know about each program.

...I love spreadsheets. :)

Yeah, I've got that, too! Although I recently consolidated some columns into simple Pros and cons...

For those of us currently in school, does anyone know if we have to resend transcripts after fall semester grades come in?

For most programs, not necessary (although your decision if you think an updated transcript will raise your GPA significantly --by now it shouldn't-- and they'll get it in time to review). When you do know where you're going, they are likely to ask for a final transcript after you've graduated.

For most programs, not necessary (although your decision if you think an updated transcript will raise your GPA significantly --by now it shouldn't-- and they'll get it in time to review). When you do know where you're going, they are likely to ask for a final transcript after you've graduated.

That's pretty much what I figured. Going into this semester with over 120 credits, my GPA budges only very slightly at this point.

Thanks!

almost everything is done. I mean all the applications are physically done...

I just need a few more references to get in. Some from Dec. 15th (one person has like 2-3 of them left for that date and already did the january ones). Just wondering if you think that really matters to get them in on time. I mean I know he will be finishing them the first week back to school, but I just hope that the schools left aren't really looking until after the holidays.

I was wondering what we are supposed to do in regards to fafsa and financial aid. Are we supposed to fill that out now, or wait until we hear from schools or not at all? I am just really unsure of how that factors in with our applications and what we are supposed to do.

How many of you are also getting really sick of explaining the application process to relatives/family friends that you see over the holidays??

Ughh... it's so annoying. I try giving short answers, but they always want more info. It's like, "what schools are you applying to?" "oh, well I'm applying to 10 schools all across the country... it's pretty intense" "oh, which schools... what's your top choice... when will you hear back... etc." I feel bad for those of you who applied to 20 schools!

I started to avoid saying I'm applying to phd programs and just talk about the master's program I'm in, but then, reliably, someone else would chime in with, "oh she's applying to phd programs" and then the same conversation starts again....

Sorry just had to vent about that!

How many of you are also getting really sick of explaining the application process to relatives/family friends that you see over the holidays??

Ughh... it's so annoying. I try giving short answers, but they always want more info. It's like, "what schools are you applying to?" "oh, well I'm applying to 10 schools all across the country... it's pretty intense" "oh, which schools... what's your top choice... when will you hear back... etc." I feel bad for those of you who applied to 20 schools!

I started to avoid saying I'm applying to phd programs and just talk about the master's program I'm in, but then, reliably, someone else would chime in with, "oh she's applying to phd programs" and then the same conversation starts again....

Ditto! I feel like I've explained the process to my own mother about 5 times. One of my cousins is applying to master's programs in another dicipline, so at least she kind of understands the process. That's a relief.

I think the worst is when you say "I'm applying to University of X" and someone says "Oh well you'll get in there for sure, that's a safety school right?"

Blech... At her Christmas party my mom introduced me as a "doctor" though she knows full well I've only just applied!

Blech... At her Christmas party my mom introduced me as a "doctor" though she knows full well I've only just applied!

LOL! Sounds like my mom; she's telling people I already have offers from programs, even though the most I've had is a pre-interview via phone at a couple programs. It's annoying, because if I don't get in my family's going to be confused!

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to prepare for a phone interview or what kinds of things a POI may typically ask about? I'm sure there is a great deal of variability in the questions since every POI uses different criteria for screening applicants but I really have no idea what to expect!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Be familiar with their research -- read their website. Also look for their pubs and be familiar with what they've done. Review your personal statement for that school and prepare a few questions about their work or the program.

Anyone else submit an application to a school you think you have pretty negligible chance at, and think "there goes $____"?. Then again, all of my interview invites so far have been at schools I think/thought of as reaches, and my rejection has been at one school where I thought I had a pretty decent chance of getting an interview at, so I guess you never know...

actually i do think one school i applied to was def a waste of $50
the prof told me that he/she won't know about funding until Feb
on top of that, it is already a super competitive school to begin with (250 plus applicants), so even if I was lucky enough to make it to the end of that, the prof would still have to get funding

I'm sure I wasted other $ along the way, but I do think I ended up spending less than a lot of other people

eh oh well
as long as I get in some place, I don't think I'm wasting any $

actually i do think one school i applied to was def a waste of $50
the prof told me that he/she won't know about funding until Feb
on top of that, it is already a super competitive school to begin with (250 plus applicants), so even if I was lucky enough to make it to the end of that, the prof would still have to get funding

I'm sure I wasted other $ along the way, but I do think I ended up spending less than a lot of other people

eh oh well
as long as I get in some place, I don't think I'm wasting any $

Its not a waste until retrospect, like "well duh i didnt get in there" but before that time there is no waste, if you really did your best putting together a solid application, then its definitely not a waste just a crapshoot

I applied to two programs only to decide not to apply. Paid the app fee but decided not to go through with submitting the supplemental forms and letters. Even so I consider only one of those a waste. Otherwise I agree with AJ -- there's a difference between a crapshoot and a waste of money but not everyone likes to gamble.

Anyone else submit an application to a school you think you have pretty negligible chance at, and think "there goes $____"?. Then again, all of my interview invites so far have been at schools I think/thought of as reaches, and my rejection has been at one school where I thought I had a pretty decent chance of getting an interview at, so I guess you never know...

My GRE score was waaaaay under the average for one of the schools I applied to, so I guess it might have been a waste of money

I just found out a paper I co-authored is going to be published. and soon I will receive my grade for a fall Stats course and I expect it to be very good.

Would it be a good idea to update schools I have applied to with this info?
If so, what would be the best way to do it? Is anyone else doing this?

I just found out a paper I co-authored is going to be published. and soon I will receive my grade for a fall Stats course and I expect it to be very good.

Congrats on the pub! :D I'm updating one of my schools by emailing in an updated CV.

I guess it couldn't hurt to send out an updated CV.

I would definitely do it. Worst case scenario is that your reviewers don't receive it. Congrats!

GAH! I just received a set of two emails from one of my schools, which had a deadline a month ago. Of course I thought maybe it was about an interview, but no. The first one said "Thanks for applying! Your application is complete for review purposes!" The second one said "The previous message was generated in error. Please disregard it." Why are they doing this to me!!!?!?! I checked on the website and I'm pretty sure everything did in fact get in on time. I've already emailed them back to get clarification, but I think I just had a minor heart attack.

Edit: Yeah, my application is complete, but no word on whether I have an interview. Unnecessary stress!

Last edited:

Thanks to all who responded. I realized I had included this pub as "under review" on my CV so I've decided to leave things as is. May mention it was accepted if I am lucky enough to get interviews.

Seems few to no (APA accredited) programs have deadlines later than January 15th, right? Anybody else still sitting on applications? I have two to go. Hard to believe there are only three days left in this first phase of application season...

^ yep. I have one that's due Jan 15th, but everything has already been sent in.

I have a Feb 1st deadline APA Accred. Clinical Psych PhD program. I did send my completed app though last month.

I'm down to my final application. I sent out two today and have only one left to go. It's weird waiting for interview invites with some schools while still working on apps with others.

Thought I'd be all done tonight, instead I failed to include a resume in one of the packets I sent today. The deadline is tomorrow... I'm going to have to call first thing tomorrow to see if they'll accept a fax or perhaps agree to another arrangement. :oops: