2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :poke:
haha, I remember that feeling all too well. But at least you have some major distractions (in the way of the holidays). Enjoy them and stress again afterward ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My heart skips a beat every time my phone rings, and I don't even have all my applications in yet. This is going to be a fun few months...

Last edited:
I am actually really enjoying this time. Apps are 95% done. Just have to take care of a couple payments tom'w.

Appreciating the relative downtime. and I can still fantasize I will be getting in to the school of my choice because it is too soon for any news. No news is good news as I have a feeling I won't be one of those "shoo-ins" who hear super early. But that is okay by me.

in retrospect, I did not feel this process was that bad. I needed the reflection that it initiated and admittance or not, I feel like I accomplished something.

Keep in mind I ended up only applying to 8 schools and I am older so I have had more opportunities for stressful periods in life!

I'm with you, hamsterpants- I have one more personal statement to write, and some things to mail out, and then I am DONE! I am a little anxious to find out where I get in, but I am open to all possibilities (even not getting in anywhere), and knowing that I worked hard and did my best is fulfilling. Plus, I am really looking forward to the holidays and knowing that this part of the process is over, and out of my control now. :)

I finally got all the Ph.D apps completely FINISHED! That brings my total to 10/13 with just a few Psy.D apps that aren't due until the first week of Jan...I'll take a little break before getting started on those! Wait nevermind, it isn't going to be much of a break since I have finals this week :scared:....

when will it ever end?! :laugh:

It's like a constant refrain in my head... I didn't apply to enough schools, I didn't apply to enough schools, didn'tapplytoenoughschoolsdidn'tapplytoenoughschools.......

However, I would be happy to attend any of the 8 I applied to, and past that number, I was both out of funds and not as enthusiastic about the programs.

I just need ONE. Just ONE.

I'm toe tapping. Have one interview so far but I know it won't be until January before I hear on anywhere else. Watched pots and all that...

I'm toe tapping. Have one interview so far but I know it won't be until January before I hear on anywhere else. Watched pots and all that...

I got a couple of pre-Christmas invites last year...completely unexpected and a truly lovely surprise. Also got a couple of pre-interview phone interviews before the New Year so who knows, good news could be on the way before you know it. :luck::xf:

It's like a constant refrain in my head... I didn't apply to enough schools, I didn't apply to enough schools, didn'tapplytoenoughschoolsdidn'tapplytoenoughschools.......

However, I would be happy to attend any of the 8 I applied to, and past that number, I was both out of funds and not as enthusiastic about the programs.

I just need ONE. Just ONE.

I could have written this myself!! Just ONE interview would make for a fantastic Christmas...(and of course, to actually get accepted would make for a fantastic new year!) Still waiting, checking this site every day, refreshing my emails every ten minutes, and freaking out every time an unknown number flashes up on my phone. I don't think I'll last the next couple of months!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much done with all of my apps, I just need to make sure the letters of rec get in. I wish this waiting part would go by faster, though. Although, I have to admit, it is an exciting time.

13 down, 4 to go; hoping to knock them out within the week...

Maybe once all my apps are in, and finals/my thesis defense are over, I'll feel better about this application stress. One of my programs said they'd give out interview invites *sometime* this week, and I've been trying to avoid obsessively checking my email.

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you (for the most part). 12/13 apps completely submitted. The last one isn't due until January.

Because a few others have gotten interviews already, I've already started getting a bit nervous that I haven't heard anything yet. I know this is totally irrational so early in the game, but it doesn't stop me from having sneaky little bad thoughts every so often.

Yikes. Good thing Google doesn't charge me for every time I check my gmail. ;-)

Pretty much done with all of my apps, I just need to make sure the letters of rec get in. I wish this waiting part would go by faster, though. Although, I have to admit, it is an exciting time.

Got my first application out yesterday with LORs. I am in the same situation, I had all of my stuff submitted about two months ago, just compulsively checking my app status to see if my letter writers are getting them in alright.

So I just tracked one of the application packets I sent last week, for an application that's due today. It was supposed to have been delivered a couple days ago -- but apparently the postal service tried to deliver after 5:00, and nobody was there to receive it. The tracking website says they left a notice, but now I have no idea whether it ever was, or will be, received.

I tried calling the department, and the guy on the phone was really unhelpful. I looked into having it redelivered, but it turns out that has to be done from the recipient's end. I don't know what else to do. Waaaaah!

So I just tracked one of the application packets I sent last week, for an application that's due today. It was supposed to have been delivered a couple days ago -- but apparently the postal service tried to deliver after 5:00, and nobody was there to receive it. The tracking website says they left a notice, but now I have no idea whether it ever was, or will be, received.

I tried calling the department, and the guy on the phone was really unhelpful. I looked into having it redelivered, but it turns out that has to be done from the recipient's end. I don't know what else to do. Waaaaah!

This has happened to me a few times especially around Thanksgiving or weekends since no one was there to sign for it. It'll be delivered the next time the post office makes deliveries. When was the notice left? It should probably be the next business day. The online tracking is usually not updated immediately either. Hope this helps!

This has happened to me a few times especially around Thanksgiving or weekends since no one was there to sign for it. It'll be delivered the next time the post office makes deliveries. When was the notice left? It should probably be the next business day. The online tracking is usually not updated immediately either. Hope this helps!

That does make me feel a little better, but the notice was left 3 days ago (Saturday) -- so it's had two business days to get delivered and posted on the website. The wording on the website makes it sound like they're not going to try delivering it again, which is what's worrying me. Sigh. Hopefully you're right and the tracking info just hasn't been updated yet.

That does make me feel a little better, but the notice was left 3 days ago (Saturday) -- so it's had two business days to get delivered and posted on the website. The wording on the website makes it sound like they're not going to try delivering it again, which is what's worrying me. Sigh. Hopefully you're right and the tracking info just hasn't been updated yet.

Yep, the online tracking updates can take a bit. I think that's it.

I had one application packet that was never recorded as being received! The first post office I went to said they couldn't really do anything about it (and this was 2 weeks after it was sent) and to give it another few days. I called the post office it was last tracked at. The person I talked to was very helpful but still couldn't find the packet.

After calling the program, it had been delivered on time w/o being updated in the computer. I would have been much more nervous except that I had sent it out about 3-4 weeks early.

I'm sure it'll get resolved. If the program got a notice by the deadline, then they know they should have received it on time and should accept it.

I had one application packet that was never recorded as being received! The first post office I went to said they couldn't really do anything about it (and this was 2 weeks after it was sent) and to give it another few days. I called the post office it was last tracked at. The person I talked to was very helpful but still couldn't find the packet.

After calling the program, it had been delivered on time w/o being updated in the computer. I would have been much more nervous except that I had sent it out about 3-4 weeks early.

I'm sure it'll get resolved. If the program got a notice by the deadline, then they know they should have received it on time and should accept it.

a somewhat similar thing happened to me, and it didn't get updated under after the deadline but all is ok now. The people in the admissions office were fantastic though and let me know it would be fine. I do feel for them, their jobs must be sooo stressful right now.

ugh just got a call at work and the caller ID said florida....got all excited...but nope, an actual work call :bang:

ME ME ME ME!! I'm doing all I can to keep myself from being too anxious!!:eek:

Me too! I'm also waiting to hear from USC (they sent interview invites on the 17th last year I believe). I keep telling myself that they could always be doing things differently this year but I keep worrying!

Does anyone know off-hand which schools usually give pre-Christmas invites? I don't even have all my apps in yet and I'm already anxious!

Is it me or do other people have those wavering feelings of hopefulness...and defeat?
AH!

Last year, George Mason sent out invites and some rejections before Christmas.

Looking at last year's interview thread, these clinical PhD programs also had pre-Xmas invites:

Florida State University
Sam Houston State University - Forensic
University of California Santa Barbara (CCSP)
University of Connecticut -Child Clinical
University of Georgia
University of Kansas
University of Southern California
University of Tulsa
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

Thank you! Very helpful.

I got a thick envelope from Howard today and got really excited... until I read the letter saying they needed one more letter of rec.
:bang:

yeah I can vouch for SHSU and CUNY John Jay (both forensic clinical) this year... read my post on the interview thread though kinda funny, or nerve-racking if you are me

You all will hear soon enough, remember not hearing is better than reading rejection

Justin

so i got a strange response from OSU... they said i wasn't invited for an interview, but i'm in a small second pool of applicants and shouldn't discount it yet... So to everyone out there... they're sending out the interviews...

I just want to know from my other schools! Anyone hear about Memphis, Knoxville, or South Carolina yet?

so i got a strange response from OSU... they said i wasn't invited for an interview, but i'm in a small second pool of applicants and shouldn't discount it yet... So to everyone out there... they're sending out the interviews...

I just want to know from my other schools! Anyone hear about Memphis, Knoxville, or South Carolina yet?

Ohio State University or Oklahoma State University? Which OSU?

Which OSU, and clinical or counseling?