* * 2009-2010 Letter of Recommendation Thread * *

Started by mig2k
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know what kind of letters Western requires if one is not using a pre-med committee?
 
So ... I'm loosing my mind with how much I'm trying to do in life right now, and in the middle of it all, I can't remember when is the best time to send LOR's?? Post secondary, sometime between primary and secondary, with primary, etc?? Does it make a different. Say, for example, if I got them mailed after I submitted primaries and they got to schools before I was verified and sent to schools, would the schools just start a file and put the letters in them??
 
So ... I'm loosing my mind with how much I'm trying to do in life right now, and in the middle of it all, I can't remember when is the best time to send LOR's?? Post secondary, sometime between primary and secondary, with primary, etc?? Does it make a different. Say, for example, if I got them mailed after I submitted primaries and they got to schools before I was verified and sent to schools, would the schools just start a file and put the letters in them??

Chances are, if they don't have a file on you already, they may just misplace your letters and it'll just create a confusing situation. It's best to send them out with secondaries; in fact a lot of secondaries ask for LORs specifically.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Saw this just now on CCOM's website:


The full legal name and AACOMAS ID number of applicants must be on the front page of the recommendation. Please provide this information to the evaluators.
Letters must be sent directly from evaluators and must be printed on letterhead stationery, which includes the complete contact information for evaluators.
The academic degrees of evaluators must be listed (e.g., Ph.D., D.O., M.D.)

I've already had a few of my letters submitted without telling my writers to list my AACOMAS ID. How strict are schools on these policies?
 
Last edited:
I thought all LORs were sent via interfolio?!

The 2010 CIB states that they accept letters from Interfolio.

I'm just kinda sweatin' it now because I didn't think to have my AACOMAS ID placed on each of my letters by my evaluators. I don't want to have to go back and ask them to resubmit letters.

If anyone has any info on this, please share.
 
The 2010 CIB states that they accept letters from Interfolio.

I'm just kinda sweatin' it now because I didn't think to have my AACOMAS ID placed on each of my letters by my evaluators. I don't want to have to go back and ask them to resubmit letters.

If anyone has any info on this, please share.

I didn't do that either as I had my people writing the letters back in May. None of mine will have that. I may ask some of writers to add it in. However, I know my D.O. writer already printed off all of my copies and will not have time to add that stuff in. I may just give him an neat little white card with that information on it to staple to the letter or something. What do you think about that?
 
The 2010 CIB states that they accept letters from Interfolio.

I'm just kinda sweatin' it now because I didn't think to have my AACOMAS ID placed on each of my letters by my evaluators. I don't want to have to go back and ask them to resubmit letters.

If anyone has any info on this, please share.

Email/call CCOM and find out. My guess is that they're not as strict about this as they seem.
 
O man I need some help

So I've been shadowing this physician at my hospital through this volunteer program for a couple of months here and there

And this week, I asked him for a letter of rec but he turned me down. I could of sworn he would write me one!!

Now I am freaking out b/c I only have letters from teachers from school!!

WHAT DO I DO!!
 
I know that a lot of schools say they will take either a committee letter or 2-3 LORs from science professors. Luckily my school has such a committee who is writing me a letter, but would anybody suggest that I submit an additional letter from a science professor?! I have a DO letter as well, does anyone think that the committee letter and the DO letter will be enough?!
 
I know that a lot of schools say they will take either a committee letter or 2-3 LORs from science professors. Luckily my school has such a committee who is writing me a letter, but would anybody suggest that I submit an additional letter from a science professor?! I have a DO letter as well, does anyone think that the committee letter and the DO letter will be enough?!

Take the DO letter, take the science letter, put it all together with the pre-med committee packet, and have you school send it all out like that...if you can, that is. An extra science letter can't hurt.
 
HELP!

So I have shadowed two DO's, both offered to write me a LOR and were really nice about it. However, neither has come through. I have contacted both several times asking nicely and providing any info they may need, but still nothing.

How can I get them to get it done without being obnoxious about it?

Oh, and it was not easy to find someone to shadow, so just finding another one probably not a feasible option.
 
There are lots of threads by this title, but none are for this application year... I've submitted most of my secondary applications but am still waiting for my LOR from my committee. They said it would be done by the end of the month... and they said that is still plenty early.

I'm afraid the end of July is late. Is anyone else waiting on LORS? How long does it take to get an interview invite once your secondary is complete? Am I just being the typical pre-med type A stressing about getting it done this early, or is everyone else freaking out as much as I am right now?
 
There are lots of threads by this title, but none are for this application year... I've submitted most of my secondary applications but am still waiting for my LOR from my committee. They said it would be done by the end of the month... and they said that is still plenty early.

I'm afraid the end of July is late. Is anyone else waiting on LORS? How long does it take to get an interview invite once your secondary is complete? Am I just being the typical pre-med type A stressing about getting it done this early, or is everyone else freaking out as much as I am right now?

You're freaking out just like a neurotic pre-med should. 😀

End of July is still VERY early. The fact that you've already submitted most of your secondaries also puts you very early in this admissions cycle. My committee packet was finished at the end of October, and it all turned out great (keep in mind that you can still get interview invites without having LORs in). You'll be fine.
 
I know that a lot of schools say they will take either a committee letter or 2-3 LORs from science professors. Luckily my school has such a committee who is writing me a letter, but would anybody suggest that I submit an additional letter from a science professor?! I have a DO letter as well, does anyone think that the committee letter and the DO letter will be enough?!

For AACOMAS and AMCAS the extra letters are fine take the committee letter, science letter and DO letter, but if you are applying through TMDSAS they only want the requested letters, they will send a third but they state plainly on the website that most schools only desire to see the requested letters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HELP!

So I have shadowed two DO's, both offered to write me a LOR and were really nice about it. However, neither has come through. I have contacted both several times asking nicely and providing any info they may need, but still nothing.

How can I get them to get it done without being obnoxious about it?

Oh, and it was not easy to find someone to shadow, so just finding another one probably not a feasible option.

Oh man I completely relate to this, my first year applying my DO did not submit my letter until January even though I requested it in June. I tried a few things, I prepaid for an overnight shipping envelope for the Dr. to mail the letter in... thinking that he would note the sense of urgency I felt in paying for overnight shipping, six weeks later when he still hadn't sent the letter I brought by a "Thank You" gift for writing my letter, as a way of reminding him to do that.... and when that didn't work, I spoke with his nurse. Where I shadowed each doctor had his own nursing staff and so often it was the nurses that kept the doctors on top of their paperwork, I also had a copy of another one of my letters of recommendation and I gave her that to show it to him as an example of how to format the letter hoping that would get him started. Once I spoke with the nurse explaining that I couldn't even apply to medical school without that letter, she was very diligent in getting the Dr. to send it out.

This year I asked everyone I knew who might know a Dr. to introduce me... and I ended up having a family member of one of my friends write the letter. I sent him a copy of my application, my personal statement, and my CV.

Hope that helps!
 
I am waiting on my LORs too. Everyone (5 people) was on board in early May. I have not received a single letter yet. So yesterday, I sent out an email to all of them "reminding" them how to upload stuff to interfolio. In reality, it was a "hey, remember when I met with all of you and you promised me letters? F*%^$ing write 'em!" email in disguise. It was gentle and I got replies from most of them saying they were sorry and would hurry up asap.

Maybe that would help? I'm trying to figure out how to get money for 16 secondaries. I'm selling my whitewater kayak. Anyone on SDN looking for a kayak and gear? lol.
 
I am waiting on my LORs too. Everyone (5 people) was on board in early May. I have not received a single letter yet. So yesterday, I sent out an email to all of them "reminding" them how to upload stuff to interfolio. In reality, it was a "hey, remember when I met with all of you and you promised me letters? F*%^$ing write 'em!" email in disguise. It was gentle and I got replies from most of them saying they were sorry and would hurry up asap.

Maybe that would help? I'm trying to figure out how to get money for 16 secondaries. I'm selling my whitewater kayak. Anyone on SDN looking for a kayak and gear? lol.

Wow, they actually apologized to you? When I sent an email to a committee member politely reminding him to write the letter, he forwarded my email to my pre-med advisor and asked her to tell me not to contact him.
 
I had a bad response sending a reminder email to my committee as well. He not so gently reminded me that most of the professors on the committee were not under contract over the summer, and believe it or not writing my letter was not their number one priority. I had offered to send any additional information if they needed it, and he replied I already told you I would ask you for any information I needed. This sort of took me by surprise because I know all of the committee professors very well and they have all been so supportive.... so I'm guessing the committee probably gets inundated with "reminders" and I bet it gets annoying!

Thanks for re-assuring me that I am early! Early, early, early has been my motto this application season!
 
Uggg I'm in the same boat, sort of. I should be verified any day now, and have been working on whatever tentative secondaries I have been able to scrounge up on SDN, but my adviser said that my letter will be ready no later than August 31!!!!😱 I've tried emailing them, suggesting them to hurry up and whatnot, but have not gotten anywhere. It is releiving to know that schools will hand out interviews without LORs in hand.

bcgans, did you say that you are getting 5 separate LORs, or that there were 5 people on your pre-med board? I'm only getting a pre-med committee letter and a DO letter, should I seek more?!
 
I am getting 5 letters because we do not have a pre med committee at my school. I am getting LORs from:

1) Pre med advisor (also a science prof)
2) Anatomy prof (who teaches at my state med school)
3) A D.O. I'm close with
4) and 5) Two profs who I did diabetes research with at a residency clinic

Usually schools seem to need two science LORs (since I don't have a committee) and a D.O. letter. My last two letters are profs I worked with everyday for two years, while doing my master's in sociology. I wanted some letters to show that I was doing medically related research while in grad school.

I have heard 2 letters is absolutely fine, and on the opposite end I think ChocolateBear sent 6 or 8 letters. I would guess any more than that is just overwhelming for the adcoms, but that is just my opinion. Its all what you think, and how well you think your letters are written. Let me know if you need any help, I'll do the best I can!
 
Uggg I'm in the same boat, sort of. I should be verified any day now, and have been working on whatever tentative secondaries I have been able to scrounge up on SDN, but my adviser said that my letter will be ready no later than August 31!!!!😱 I've tried emailing them, suggesting them to hurry up and whatnot, but have not gotten anywhere. It is releiving to know that schools will hand out interviews without LORs in hand.

bcgans, did you say that you are getting 5 separate LORs, or that there were 5 people on your pre-med board? I'm only getting a pre-med committee letter and a DO letter, should I seek more?!

Don't worry about it; you don't need more than a committee and DO letter.
 
Is it possible for the DO letter to be incorporated into the composite/committee letter because I know my pre-med office just sends out one composite letter.
 
Is it possible for the DO letter to be incorporated into the composite/committee letter because I know my pre-med office just sends out one composite letter.

It depends on the school. My committee is stingy and refuses to include anything from outside sources (even professors!!). We have to fill out this insanely long questionaire and meet with the committee a few times.
 
There are lots of threads by this title, but none are for this application year... I've submitted most of my secondary applications but am still waiting for my LOR from my committee. They said it would be done by the end of the month... and they said that is still plenty early.

I'm afraid the end of July is late. Is anyone else waiting on LORS? How long does it take to get an interview invite once your secondary is complete? Am I just being the typical pre-med type A stressing about getting it done this early, or is everyone else freaking out as much as I am right now?

Yeah July is still plenty early. My pre-med advisor, who finishes up and sends out the committee letters, sends them out late July to mid-August. Si it's def within the norm.

She also showed an interesting chart, which had the data from AMCAS regarding when LORs were submitted. And the Majority of LORs were received in August, September, and October... with September being the biggest month of submission and October and August being about the same... So yeah no need to fret about it.. even if it's not in till August it's still plenty early!
 
It depends on the school. My committee is stingy and refuses to include anything from outside sources (even professors!!). We have to fill out this insanely long questionaire and meet with the committee a few times.

ohh gotcha, my committee just writes a composite letter based on: all the LORs I submit (which included 3 faculty LORs, 1 DO letter, and one letter from a volunteer program I was in), my personal statement, a questionaire, and an interview.
 
Yeah July is still plenty early. My pre-med advisor, who finishes up and sends out the committee letters, sends them out late July to mid-August. Si it's def within the norm.

She also showed an interesting chart, which had the data from AMCAS regarding when LORs were submitted. And the Majority of LORs were received in August, September, and October... with September being the biggest month of submission and October and August being about the same... So yeah no need to fret about it.. even if it's not in till August it's still plenty early!

Ooohhh what a handy chart! I'd love to see some of the data as to when most applications are submitted and what not... ooohhh I'd also love to see a chart comparing primary verification date, secondary receipt date, and matriculation... that's the statistics lover coming out in me... I'm sure there isn't but does anyone know of a place where some of this data might be found?
 
I was neurotic😳 and obtained 6 letters since my school doesn't have a committee but generally I have only sent out 2-3 of these letters to each school I have applied to (i.e. 2 science LORs, 1 D.O. LOR).
Hmm..I actually did not need so many letters but at the time, I wasn't sure what kind of letters each school would require.
 
Yeah, I work in post secondary ed and most of the teachers are gone for the summer (gone as in out of state/country).

It sucks waiting for LORs. I've been waiting a month and a half for my DO letters. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I work in post secondary ed and most of the teachers are gone for the summer (gone as in out of state/country).

It sucks waiting for LORs. I've been waiting a month and a half for my DO letters. 🙁
Yeah I feel your pain. It took almost 3 months to get my D.O. letter because he went on vacation for a month and his secretary lost the letter he had written so I had to wait for him to return and he was busy. Hang in there.
 
Yeah I feel your pain. It took almost 3 months to get my D.O. letter because he went on vacation for a month and his secretary lost the letter he had written so I had to wait for him to return and he was busy. Hang in there.

I'm a re-applicant and forgot how hard the waiting part of it is.... and it has only just begun... sheesh! I was reading the forum today and some students are still waiting to hear about the wait list status from last year.... I cringe just thinking about that level of anxiety...
 
I have a question about the LORs... I have an interfolio account that currently has letters from four people:
  • A DO that I shadowed
  • My Human Physiology professor
  • My supervisor at work (I am an EMT and an ambulance dispatcher... somewhat medical)
  • The provost of my college who is also a psychology professor. I spent a lot of time with him during my undergrad doing independent study (like doing science-based after school classes for young girls)

As you can see, there is only ONE science professor in there. I took Organic Chemistry last year and got A's across the board, so I asked that professor in May for a letter. He said he would write one but probably not until fall. At that time I didn't realize how early I would be receiving my secondaries (today!). I sent him an email asking if there is any way he can send it any earlier, but he's sort of grumpy and I'm worried he'll either not get back to me or just say he can't do it until September. Do you think I should send the other letters that I have and then send his when he gets to it? Or wait until he gets his done and send them all together? I'm kicking myself for not having gotten more letters throughout my undergrad, and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the head start that I have by turning in my primary app early. Any advice would be great!! Thank you!
 
Ooohhh what a handy chart! I'd love to see some of the data as to when most applications are submitted and what not... ooohhh I'd also love to see a chart comparing primary verification date, secondary receipt date, and matriculation... that's the statistics lover coming out in me... I'm sure there isn't but does anyone know of a place where some of this data might be found?

yeah it might be somewhere on the aamc site, I wasn't able to track it down tho... maybe it was a chart just sent to pre-health advisors? who knows lol
 
I sent him an email asking if there is any way he can send it any earlier, but he's sort of grumpy and I'm worried he'll either not get back to me or just say he can't do it until September. Do you think I should send the other letters that I have and then send his when he gets to it? Or wait until he gets his done and send them all together? I'm kicking myself for not having gotten more letters throughout my undergrad, and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the head start that I have by turning in my primary app early. Any advice would be great!! Thank you!

I would send them in without his letter. The schools will see that there is one letter missing, but maybe they'll start verifying it earlier? It certainly can't hurt...
 
I tried reading through all of this and searching, but I can't seem to find it.

I've shadowed this DO a few times and he said that he would be happy to write a letter on my behalf. I'm applying to several DO schools, included in that list is his Alma Mater, Nova.

Should I ask him for two letters? One specifically addressed to Nova and another just a general letter for the other schools?

Also, he asked me what he wants me to include in the letter. I'm not exactly sure what that meant. Is there some sort of criteria that must be met when writing a LOR? I did read in this thread about having him include my AACOMAS ID but as far as the content, I didn't see anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! 😀
 
I tried reading through all of this and searching, but I can't seem to find it.

I've shadowed this DO a few times and he said that he would be happy to write a letter on my behalf. I'm applying to several DO schools, included in that list is his Alma Mater, Nova.

Should I ask him for two letters? One specifically addressed to Nova and another just a general letter for the other schools?

Also, he asked me what he wants me to include in the letter. I'm not exactly sure what that meant. Is there some sort of criteria that must be met when writing a LOR? I did read in this thread about having him include my AACOMAS ID but as far as the content, I didn't see anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! 😀

I'd make it easier on him by NOT having him write two separate letters. He's doing you a favor here, and I'm not convinced the marginal benefit of his writing a specific letter to Nova will outweigh the annoyance of creating more work for him.

You really don't need him to include your AACOMAS ID.

You want the letter to be as personal as possible. Any specifics about YOU and YOUR APPLICATION are great, especially when used as examples towards proving the larger points, which include:

1. Why you will make a good doctor
2. What you have done to prove yourself as committed to the profession
3. How you will make improvements to the field of medicine (research, teaching experience, etc)
4. How you will help improve the world (do you volunteer your time, etc.?)
5. How you've shown that you can create a good rapport with patients
6. How you will contribute to your medical school class and school

Any and all of these would be good things to have in a letter, depending on how well the doc knows you. There are other things that would be good too--perhaps others can expand on what I've listed or you can brainstorm off of them. :luck:
 
You can't be the real CB! I heard he was 7 feet tall! And could shoot fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolts from his arse! He also sent in 20+ LORs, had a 46U MCAT, and was accepted pre-secondary to Stanford. He turned it down.

😀
 
You can't be the real CB! I heard he was 7 feet tall! And could shoot fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolts from his arse! He also sent in 20+ LORs, had a 46U MCAT, and was accepted pre-secondary to Stanford. He turned it down.

😀

Sounds like a superhero gunner douche. I'd hate to have *him* in my class... 👎
 
I know a Dr. that knows me well. He recently retired. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a LOR from him or someone else? I never actually shadowed him, but he knows me and my character pretty well. Does it matter that he's retired... Will they know if he's retired or not at all?
 
I know a Dr. that knows me well. He recently retired. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a LOR from him or someone else? I never actually shadowed him, but he knows me and my character pretty well. Does it matter that he's retired... Will they know if he's retired or not at all?

I'd say it doesn't matter that he's retired.

However, it's always nice to have your letter from someone you've shadowed, but if this guy knows you on a personal letter and can attest to your qualities that will make you a good doc, you should be very happy with this letter! 👍
 
I'd say it doesn't matter that he's retired.

However, it's always nice to have your letter from someone you've shadowed, but if this guy knows you on a personal letter and can attest to your qualities that will make you a good doc, you should be very happy with this letter! 👍

Agree. I'm [hopefully] going to have 2 D.O. letters. One from a shadowing experience and one from a D.O. I met while playing basketball. We've played together frequently the last 2 months and he offered to write me a letter. I was concerned about receiving one in that context but he interviews applicants at one of the D.O. schools and assured me it was not an issue.
 
I'm a re-applicant and forgot how hard the waiting part of it is.... and it has only just begun... sheesh! I was reading the forum today and some students are still waiting to hear about the wait list status from last year.... I cringe just thinking about that level of anxiety...
Hey I wish you the best:luck: I hope this is the lucky cycle for us:xf: This waiting game is terrible and I am eating too much ice cream and sweets these days from anxiety😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe that would help? I'm trying to figure out how to get money for 16 secondaries. I'm selling my whitewater kayak. Anyone on SDN looking for a kayak and gear? lol.

Oh...sad🙁 the sacrafices we make to get into med school!
 
Meh, its not all bad

I was only able to use it three times last year, and lugging it to med school would be a pain.

The only kicker is if I don't get in anywhere, and I'm out that money and no kayak to cheer me up.

I love the gambler I have become, rolling the dice for admission in 2010!
 
Hey guys,

I'm extremely confused about the delivery of letters. I have been shadowing a DO this whole week & today he will be giving me a letter. I have already had a committee letter written (just written, not sent) so I'm going to send this DO letter separately from the committee one. The committee letter is delivered by my pre-med advisor but I don't know how to submit the DO letter. The pre-med advisor is working from home this summer so I can't give it to him. Do I photocopy it & mail it directly to all schools? What do I do?
 
My prof. LORs are out of the country for the summer. Is it better to wait for them or apply now? I have an employer and MD letter. Trying to get a DO rec. I'm pretty much hoping for PCOM as I wouldn't have to move. Thoughts? Otherwise pretty good app., 30 and 3.5.