2009-2010 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
same weight as the faculty. i hung out with a couple of students afterwards (one of them that interviews and gives tours and stuff). but thats just what i heard though

I would expect that at schools where the student interview isn't optional. But since it is at NJMS, I don't know what to make of it. I mean most people probably don't even schedule a student interview... so it would kind of be a non-uniform way of evaluating people.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how important the student interivew is?

I didn't have a student interview (I don't think anyone did on the day I was there). I guess my point is don't freak out if you DON'T get a student interview (I still got in).

As far as how important the student interview is (assuming you have one)... i duno :)

Got the call yesterday, interviewed 9/22. So unbelievably grateful and excited...Dean Heinrich was absolutely wonderful to talk to, he really picks the best parts of your application to discuss and compliment you on. Almost apathetic about the rest of this cycle now since UMDNJ is such an amazing place! Good luck everyone, message me if you have any questions about the school, the interview, etc. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone with a 10/1 interview has heard, does that mean anyone with an interview before 10/1 and hasnt gotten a call is for sure out of the running?

If someone with a 10/1 interview has heard, does that mean anyone with an interview before 10/1 and hasnt gotten a call is for sure out of the running?

I was concerned about that as well! I interviewed 9/29, but it looks like bluedevil heard after someone interviewed in Oct, so maybe all hope is not lost

...:xf:

Got the call yesterday, interviewed 9/22. So unbelievably grateful and excited...Dean Heinrich was absolutely wonderful to talk to, he really picks the best parts of your application to discuss and compliment you on. Almost apathetic about the rest of this cycle now since UMDNJ is such an amazing place! Good luck everyone, message me if you have any questions about the school, the interview, etc. :thumbup:

Congrats bluedevil! what time did you get the call? Also, how long does he talk to you guys for?

A friend of mine was waitlisted last cycle in January, she received a letter via snail mail so I'm assuming that holds true for rejections as well (she went on to get an acceptance phone call later that May :)).

As for the chronological discrepancy between the interview dates and when Dr. H gives you the "accepted" phone call...I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. I thought I was toast for sure when I read here that an October 1st interviewee was accepted, but then got a call two days later even though I had interviewed almost 2 weeks before. There could be a ranking system, it could simply go by undergraduate institution, could even go alphabetically - who knows.

The important thing is to not read so much into these random things and just keep busy. I definitely freaked out a little inside when I read about the 10/1 acceptance but I refused to let it consume me, so I went out and partied a bit with my friends, read a lot, watched a movie, etc., and of course, as always seems to be the case, I got the call when UMDNJ was the last thing on my mind. So don't freak out guys - we're all gonna end up just fine. :)

Congrats bluedevil! what time did you get the call? Also, how long does he talk to you guys for?

I got the call at exactly 2pm yesterday afternoon while I was taking an exit off the highway - definitely not the safest time to receive a phone call of that sort! I was getting honked at and flipped off as I frantically searched for a place to pull over, yet I somehow managed to reply to Dr. H with words that were damn close to coherent English. He talked to me for about 15 minutes, and brought up specific points from my personal statement that he enjoyed and other activities of mine that he recommended I keep pursuing throughout med school such as music, writing, etc. He speaks very calmly and intelligently, and goes to great lengths to describe how student-oriented the school is, a huge draw for me personally. He asked me what I enjoyed most about the NJMS tour, and that led to a discussion of their Humanism center. Then he discussed his rationale behind personally calling every accepted student, which was so well thought-out that I can't understand why it isn't the norm throughout the country! It was the best 15 minutes I've had in a long time, and I'm sure you'll experience it soon enough. :thumbup:

Interview 9/24. waitlist by snail mail 10/19

oh my, i had my interview the same day, did you have yours earlier in the day or after 12? there was nothing in the mail today for me, but i do live out in chicago, so maybe tomorrow? but anyways, good luck on the rest of your interviews

As someone else said - I think we need to figure out when they "stop" calling for the first batch of reviewed candidates. In general - don't give up hope just yet. I think someone told me that NJMS's waitlist moves pretty well - especially later in the cycle. So if you've got your heart set on this school - it ain't over yet :)

Does anyone know how the admissions process works at NJMS. Does the AdCom meet once a week to review interviewed applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the adcom meets once a week to decide on interviewed applicants. There was debate on last year's thread about the day, so I'm not sure. They could be reviewing interviewees from 2-8 weeks ago depending on how far into the cycle (the later, the longer). They do not necessarily review in the exact order that you interviewed. They need the (1 or 2) interviewer's report and other things (updates) that can change the order. If accepted, you will receive a call that night or in the next few days. Waitlist/rejections go in the mail. That's my understanding, check last year's thread for more info.

pretty sure they meet Thursday mornings...my interviewer mentioned it during my interview.

been complete for a month now - no answer :confused:

Does anyone know when they're booked until?

i got my big acceptance packet by snailmail today! so excited

i got my big acceptance packet by snailmail today! so excited

Don't get too excited (unless you haven't received a call yet--in that case Congrats!). It's full of tedious paperwork. They just don't want your doctor's note that you have these immunizations, they want antibody titer test, etc.

Anyone know if a standard insurance covers such things?

When do you guys make the acceptaance hold deposit and how much is it?

Don't get too excited (unless you haven't received a call yet--in that case Congrats!). It's full of tedious paperwork. They just don't want your doctor's note that you have these immunizations, they want antibody titer test, etc.

Yea seriously, this looks like a big headache. Ab titer tests, so many needles... aaaaaaaa!

(Yes I hate needles, yes I want to be a doctor. I'm good at sticking other people w/ needles, I just don't like getting stuck w/ one).

At least they give us till feb to ge the immunization stuff out.

So I know the $100 security deposit is refundable till like may or something (correct me if I'm wrong here).

What about that $85 fee that's also due w/in 2 weeks of receiving the packet? That's the background/security check fee. I'm guessing that one isn't refundable... does anyone know if that's true or not?

So I know the $100 security deposit is refundable till like may or something (correct me if I'm wrong here).

What about that $85 fee that's also due w/in 2 weeks of receiving the packet? That's the background/security check fee. I'm guessing that one isn't refundable... does anyone know if that's true or not?

I thought it said the $85 will be automatically added to your tuition bill?

where does it mention the 85 dollars? I can't find it in my packet. I only found 100 dollars, acceptance form and student info, disabilities and background form. Where does the 85 bucks appear and where do i send it? Thanks.

Have they started calling people that interviewed after Oct 1st yet? This thread has been devoid of acceptances for the past few days. Maybe they call in batches?

ughh I guess it will take a whileee to get to people interviewed on Oct 12

just received the call! IS: I (9/29)

Received a call yesterday. Interview date was October 6th. If anyone is curious my overall GPA was a 3.5 (3.8 in last 2 years of undergrad) my science GPA was a 3.3 (I think) and my MCAT score was a 35. Good luck to everyone else!

Thanks for posting the acceptances. It's good to know how far along they are in the review process.

yeah the paperwork is definitely tedious. it was still nice to get the official acceptance packet though. you know...just in case dr h made a mistake or something with the phone call haha

So, I think I might have gotten accepted tonight...had I been near my cell :/ Gotta call back tomorrow after 1 to talk to Dr. H.

thanks!!! Dr. H is a very nice man! I can't believe he personally calls everyone who's accepted. Today was a good day :)

where does it mention the 85 dollars? I can't find it in my packet. I only found 100 dollars, acceptance form and student info, disabilities and background form. Where does the 85 bucks appear and where do i send it? Thanks.

$85 is for the background check.

I don't think you have to send the $85 check. I remember reading somewhere that they just add it on to our tuition. not too sure tho...

added to tuition...thats what i got out of it

Hey guys,

I'm getting kind of worried,

I interviewed on 10/5...but no call yet...

should i call them and see if i have been reviewed yet? or should i sit tight for a few more weeks?

thanks =]

Hey guys,

should i call them and see if i have been reviewed yet? or should i sit tight for a few more weeks?

thanks =]

I interview 9/24 and havent heard anything yet...

Hey guys,

thanks =]

I really wouldn't get worried yet. I interviewed the same day, and according to Dr. H, apparently my interviewer who holds some measure of importance was impressed by my interview and so my app flew thru committee (his words, not mine). I don't think (not certain, but guessing) I had the normal turn-around. I'd wait another week or so before getting worried. I think it's dependent on who interviewed you.

Just my two cents though. Hold on and keep the faith! Gl!

Do they only call on weekends? I know a lot of calls were made on the 15th and a few days following the 15th but I don't see many people posting acceptances on weekdays anymore.

Honestly, I wouldn't call their office. You are supposed to give them up to 6 weeks to contact you. I started to get really anxious when I didn't hear from the office, but knew that people who interviewed after me were already being accepted. I doubt they read the applications in interview order. I got my call 3 days ago, but interviewed 9/29. I know it sucks to have to wait, but hopefully the waits will be worthwhile!:D

I really wouldn't get worried yet. I interviewed the same day, and according to Dr. H, apparently my interviewer who holds some measure of importance was impressed by my interview and so my app flew thru committee (his words, not mine). I don't think (not certain, but guessing) I had the normal turn-around. I'd wait another week or so before getting worried. I think it's dependent on who interviewed you.

Just my two cents though. Hold on and keep the faith! Gl!

who interviewed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.