2009-2010 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man, i was hoping it was the same guy who interviewed me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey has anyone gotten in OOS? I interviewed 9/23 OOS but still haven't heard. Do OOS take longer since there are fewer of us?

Hey has anyone gotten in OOS? I interviewed 9/23 OOS but still haven't heard. Do OOS take longer since there are fewer of us?

Probably. UMDNJ does prioritize in-state applicants even though they encourage out of state applications. I don't know what kind of a time lag you're looking at though... sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'll give them a call if I haven't hear anything in the next two weeks. Crossing fingers

Hey guys, I'm a student at njms so I can tell you a bit about the adm. process. (I started in 2006).

The student interview is new and not mandatory. One of my friends does it and honestly, their opinion is not worth nearly what the adcom and faculty opinions are so don't sweat making sure you do one. The school gets way more qualified applicants than it has spots so it's just one more way to weed down applicants, nothing more.

The turnaround time from interview to acceptance call varies greatly. When I applied mid August was considered early and nowadays with the MCAT so much more readily available, that would be considered late. When I applied my turnaround time was about 10 days from interview to acceptance (keep in mind I was a re-applicant and all they were waiting on was a new MCAT score). Most of my classmates reported turnaround times of 1 week up to a 5 weeks give or take a couple of days. DISCLAIMER: the office of student affairs is in the process of moving to new offices. I'm not exactly sure if admissions are too but they are all in the same hallway/office area so that may be why there is a delay in responses.

I know in my year there were lots (about 15/170) of OOS students but that number has dropped considerably as med school apps get more competitive. The school has huge problems with corruption and scandals but hey that's NJ. The main thing is you get a decent basic science education and a great clinical education. Plus, the school is incredibly cheap compared to a lot of other med schools (another reason why it's so tough even for ISS). The average MCAT for last year's class was about a 31.

If you really are concerned about your app or your status, e-mail Heinrich. He is one of the few med school deans in the country who will take the time to converse with you and help you if he can. His attitude is pretty warm (which comes from being from a very wealthy family and sort of falling into medicine after being a musician I guess).

As for being a student here, we have gone though 2 president, 3 student affairs deans, 3 clicical course chairs, and still have an interim med school dean over the past 4 years. The last SA dean was forced to resign days before graduation ceremonies amid some lawsuit from a class of 2009er who alleged harassment and discrimination. Thankfully, that dean is gone now and the new SA dean, Dr. Hill, seems ok. Just be very careful about what you say and what you do at umdnj because the school is very aware of its poor reputation for integrity (look up the UMDNJ dental school some time) and so they deal with any possible "unprofessional" behavior very harshly. We had one kid who was kicked out of our class after 2nd year (he even aced his step 1) for some ongoing squabble he was having with a g/f, also in our class. There was also a student in the class above that who was suspended for unkown reasons. The sad part was it wasn't even cheating or anythng like that but they had their careers destroyed anyway. Yet, the faculty members and admin who were caught falsifying federal insurance documents and stealing from the hospital are still here (and still on staff!). Ironic but remember as students we are at the bottom of the totem pole.

Newark has come a long, long way since I first came in 2002 for college. It has a bad rep that is mostly undeserved now. There are plenty of safe, new places to see, eat, and tons of things to do now. Having a car is a definite help b/c the buses aren't that great time-wise and for some reason, the city's largest employer (UniversityHospital) does not have a subway stop. There are new dorms for grad/prof students if you want (they are crazy overpriced) and talk about putting in shops in the ground floor, but that talk been gonig on for 3 years now with nothing to show for it. Check out this site http://theheinrichmaneuver.net/ for more info.

God luck to you all and if you have any Q's, feel free to pm me. Welcome to NJMS!

Last edited:
It's been about a month, no call yet. A little discouraging.

Hey skep yea same heree its been about a month : /

It had been 6 weeks post-interview and being OOS, I was beginning to think it'd never come but I just got the call this afternoon!

I got the call! :) interviewed 10/12 oos

good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call. Interviewed first week of October.

Last edited:
Question for anyone/everyone: How do you feel about the NJMS matchlist in comparison to other schools that you've interviewed at (or applied to)?

Congratulation to all who got accept last night!!!!

Can you please post stat (mcat, gpa, undergradtualte school!!!).

God bless you!!!!

just got the call today interviewed on 10/13 good luck to everyone else

Do they send you a confirmatory email indicating that they've received the $100 deposit? Also, is this deposit refundable if you choose not to attend NJMS?

Last edited:
Do they send you a confirmatory email indicating that they've received the $100 deposit? Also, is this deposit refundable if you choose not to attend NJMS?

I called them to make sure they had received my deposit. Never received an e-mail or any sort of notification.

they send a letter in the mail saying the got your deposit

Congrats on all the acceptances!!! For those accepted, does anybody know about the student host days coming in the future?

Congrats on all the acceptances!!! For those accepted, does anybody know about the student host days coming in the future?

I think you may have to email them about this. There is a list of email addresses in the acceptance package.

interviewed 11/02. its only been 2 weeks but feels like an eternity! really hope i get a call!!!!!!!!! Congrats to all acceptees!

Interviewed 10/16, accepted 11/11 (my acceptance letter is dated Nov 2nd though)

Anyone know if mailing in the acceptance deposit means that you have to choose to attend NJMS?

Interviewed 10/16, accepted 11/11 (my acceptance letter is dated Nov 2nd though)

Anyone know if mailing in the acceptance deposit means that you have to choose to attend NJMS?

No. The deposit is to reserve your seat. It's fully refundable if you notify the school of a change in your intent to enroll by May 15th. It should say this somewhere in all the papers in your acceptance packet.

Congrats all for getting accepted! Awesome feeling. Perhaps i shall see you there as it is the school i will probably be attending!

i got a letter in the mail today from my interviewer. it was really long and went into detail about specific reasons why i should attend NJMS (she even referenced parts of my application!). it was very nice. did anyone else who was accepted get a letter like this?

i'm very impressed with the way NJMS is treating its applicants

i got a letter in the mail today from my interviewer. it was really long and went into detail about specific reasons why i should attend NJMS (she even referenced parts of my application!). it was very nice. did anyone else who was accepted get a letter like this?

i'm very impressed with the way NJMS is treating its applicants

Yeah, I got one from mine too! I thought it was a lovely touch - I really wasn't expecting it. I'm excited about the student day. I really want to see more of the institution and what it's like going there. I sort of wish the interview day was longer, but I guess that's what the student host day is for?

yah i got one also... It was extremely nice. Love this place

Yeah, I got one from mine too! I thought it was a lovely touch - I really wasn't expecting it. I'm excited about the student day. I really want to see more of the institution and what it's like going there. I sort of wish the interview day was longer, but I guess that's what the student host day is for?

Hey, when is the student day? I didn't get a letter in the mail, would be nice but all that matters is getting in! Is this anyone's top choice?

I don't know when it is or any details. My interviewer just said in the letter she sent me that I'd be receiving more information about it in the future.

Has anyone scheduled a student host day/second look type thing yet? I was wondering if the luncheon in January is meant to be the second look.

I got the call around noon when he called, Dean was very nice to talk to. I hope everyone is planning on attending the accepted student luncheon!

Those of you that got letters from your interviewers- were you previously accepted? I didn't get a letter so I'm a little nervous, but I only interviewed on 10/30!

I interviewed on 10/23 but have not received a call. Do you think I'm out of the running?

i interviewed 11/02 so it's only been about 4 and a half weeks for me. but i do have a friend who interviewed 9/17 and was then accepted 11/22, more than 9 weeks later! they did tell us 4-6 weeks but lets just hope for the best maybe they are a bit backed up right now!!!!!!!

There is always hope until they say NO!!! Time depends when interviewer present us to meeting..For some, it may long wait time unfortunately...Hope it is not too long wait!!!!!!

In last year forum, some people interview in Nov , got call in Jan/Feb!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.