2009-2010 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no email, and we can edit the app until it's marked complete by Penn.

Can you still edit yours, JJ? Or like what does it say on your status page?

UPenn said:
Complete

Your application is now in the screening process. Complete applications will go through a series of competitive screenings. Interviews will begin in October and continue into February, 2010. Applicants invited for interviews will be notified via email. The Committee on Admissions will make all final decisions in March, 2010.
ALL ADMISSIONS DECISIONS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AFTER MARCH 15.

I can't edit mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. For the following question in Penn's supplement: Are there any special circumstances that the Committee on Admissions should be aware of in reviewing your application to Penn Med?

It mentions that the answer should be if siblings/relative at Penn. I am a Penn undergrad, should I mention that? Even though they already know from my application. Or would I just leave it blank?

They would see the undergrad institution that you came from. I would say leave it blank..

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that are complete, does it say anything else? Anything about review status?

No, no email, and we can edit the app until it's marked complete by Penn.

Can you still edit yours, JJ? Or like what does it say on your status page?

Mine says incomplete: LOR not received yet (which makes sense, my advisors haven't done it yet)

But otherwise - everything else looks good - took them about 2 days I believe.

edit: forgot the most important part:

WOOT! :)

Last edited:
I can't apply until they let the available credit back up on my credit card... it's about $500 less than it should be right now, but I'm not going to attempt to max out the card just to pay an application fee...:(

Isn't penn non-rolling? so no news for a while

Their website saying something about the completed application taking 1-3 months for review. The admissions website says interviews begin in October, but the application website says they begin in September. Lots of waiting, I guess. I definitely need to work on being more patient!

Anyone know why Penn and other med schools keep asking about your parent's info? I don't think it's any of their business, so I leave those parts blank.

Is there some legitimate reason they have to ask that question that I am unaware of?:confused:

Anyone know why Penn and other med schools keep asking about your parent's info? I don't think it's any of their business, so I leave those parts blank.

Is there some legitimate reason they have to ask that question that I am unaware of?:confused:

money?

i'm complete, yay!

Really stupid question, but if anyone can answer that would be great:

I am an employee of the School of Medicine department of Psychiatry (doing research for 2 years prior to med school). The research is clinical and is sort of affiliated with a non-research based treatment center that is in the same building (and the PIs for my research are the doctors there).

Would I be considered an employee of the UPenn Health System? I can always ask at work on monday but I kind of wanted to submit this weekend!

And also, it would be a bad idea to include something like a National merit finalist award in the awards section since it was so long ago, right?

Really stupid question, but if anyone can answer that would be great:

I am an employee of the School of Medicine department of Psychiatry (doing research for 2 years prior to med school). The research is clinical and is sort of affiliated with a non-research based treatment center that is in the same building (and the PIs for my research are the doctors there).

Would I be considered an employee of the UPenn Health System? I can always ask at work on monday but I kind of wanted to submit this weekend!

Obviously you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are just posting that based on my explanation...I am not sure...I tried to search it and everywhere it says "UPenn Health system and UPenn school of medicine" as if they are separate...

if you are just posting that based on my explanation...I am not sure...I tried to search it and everywhere it says "UPenn Health system and UPenn school of medicine" as if they are separate...

U Penn SOM is part of U Penn Health System. U Penn Health System includes other hospitals and outpatient centers as well.

http://pennhealth.com/departments.html

You can clearly see on the website above that the Psychiatry dept is included in U Penn health system. Don't worry about this, just submit it if you're ready.

Cool...I got an email from Penn today with a brochure about their cirriculum. Hopefully that means they loved my primary and want me to hurry up and finish my sec so they can accept me! :D

I am so confused about what to write for the 3 experiences. My AMCAS experiences were really thorough. Did you guys repeat information on there or try to find something new about the experience?

Also, is it safe to assume that they will read the AMCAS description? If so, then it becomes easier to go into more detail building off what's already written.

I am so confused about what to write for the 3 experiences. My AMCAS experiences were really thorough. Did you guys repeat information on there or try to find something new about the experience?

Also, is it safe to assume that they will read the AMCAS description? If so, then it becomes easier to go into more detail building off what's already written.

I didn't talk about why they were meaningful in my AMCAS so much. Not enough room. So I did that here. And yes, they should read the AMCAS descriptions.

Secondary submitted! Muhahahaha!

never assume prior knowledge. Because this time it will only make an Ass out of you and they won't give a hoot.
The probably read your short statement in your AMCAS, but they cannot be expected to remember everything SO it is a good idea to remind them using key phrases to jog their memory.

But I also had the thought that they may just read the titles of your activities (like OVX rat research) and then go to the secondary to find out what activities you thought the admissions committee most wanted to know about. So they may or may not read it.

Last edited:
Question:
How are people writing these essays? are you:
A. giving a description of the activity and emphasizing on leadership and commitment (easy to read)
B. turning it into more of a narrative with with emphasis on leadership and commitment (maybe fun to read)
C. Emphasizing only the leadership and commitment portions (easy to read but requires prior knowledge)

Let me know what you all think

wow I can't even access the app until my LORs are all in -______-

Question:
A. giving a description of the activity and emphasizing on leadership and commitment (easy to read)
B. turning it into more of a narrative with with emphasis on leadership and commitment (maybe fun to read)
C. Emphasizing only the leadership and commitment portions (easy to read but requires prior knowledge)

I gave a brief description that added to what I wrote on the AMCAS... for example, one of my activities had only 24 participants because they were based on floors in our housing villages. While my AMCAS description explains exactly what we did, I emphasized the smallness of the group and my role in it on the mini-essays.

I tried to give a brief one sentence intro of what the activity was and then mostly focussed on the different things I tried to do (not mentioned on AMCAS) and what these experiences taught me in terms of the 'bigger picture'

You can't?!? That's ridic.

Yeah, I'm getting a page that says this when I log in:

You are not currently eligible to fill out the Supplemental Application.
  • Your AMCAS records did not indicate how you plan to fulfill the letters of recommendation requirement. Please return to your AMCAS application to complete this section and resubmit your application. Check this status page periodically throughout the next few weeks for updates on your eligibility status and to complete the supplemental application.

Anyone else getting this page? Is there any way around it without having to submit my letters, or do I just have to wait?

Yeah, I'm getting a page that says this when I log in:

You are not currently eligible to fill out the Supplemental Application.
  • Your AMCAS records did not indicate how you plan to fulfill the letters of recommendation requirement. Please return to your AMCAS application to complete this section and resubmit your application. Check this status page periodically throughout the next few weeks for updates on your eligibility status and to complete the supplemental application.

Anyone else getting this page? Is there any way around it without having to submit my letters, or do I just have to wait?

You just have to assign them...they don't need to be uploaded

I didn't talk about why they were meaningful in my AMCAS so much. Not enough room. So I did that here. And yes, they should read the AMCAS descriptions.

me too.

Question:

i did option B.

so is everyone getting complete emails or just status page changes?

So I work in a lab at Penn, and people here have been telling me the admission folks love it when applicants come over to admissions and get their names out there, basically suck up to get an interview.

At first I wasn't down with that, but I've changed my tune.

So you are saying that they love it when people show up to the admissions office and suck up? I mean, I'll drive to Philly if it really helps, but what should I say? Not that Philly is a particularly quick drive for me either. Haha

For the 3 essays what happens if the most important activities to me had nothing to do with leadership or commitment? For example one of mine would definitively be a month long service trip to Africa but there was not much leadership associated with this and commitment is kind of irrelevant since it was only a month long...

This is kind of the trend for me partly because I am lacking in the leadership department but partly because many of my most meaningful activities were service/exchange trips. Should I just not address the leadership part and answer the 'most important' part like that was the only thing asked?

For the 3 essays what happens if the most important activities to me had nothing to do with leadership or commitment? For example one of mine would definitively be a month long service trip to Africa but there was not much leadership associated with this and commitment is kind of irrelevant since it was only a month long...

This is kind of the trend for me partly because I am lacking in the leadership department but partly because many of my most meaningful activities were service/exchange trips. Should I just not address the leadership part and answer the 'most important' part like that was the only thing asked?

No, Address leadership somewhere.
You have two choices pick a different activity or be creative and find some type of leadership or commitment aspect. For example: some of the guys on my club hockey team in College asked me if I was disappointed that I wouldn't be a leader this year, having not been voted a captain. I told them, "just because I haven't been given a position doesn't mean I can't be a leader."

I think if you think really hard about africa there is something you could write about. Depending on where you were could mean the Africans were looking to you because you were foreign or your teammates (if applicable) saw how hard you worked, etc.

So I work in a lab at Penn, and people here have been telling me the admission folks love it when applicants come over to admissions and get their names out there, basically suck up to get an interview.

At first I wasn't down with that, but I've changed my tune.

I have noticed this about other schools as well. Do you think i should make an appointment with the Dean of Admissions or something. That is what I have done in the past to get interviews.

So should I email the admissions office asking for an appointment? This is currently my number one school so I'd really like to get in... Not that anyone else is that different.

i have no idea why it took me so long to get around to doing this one...but i just submitted and am complete! now for the long wait....

So you are saying that they love it when people show up to the admissions office and suck up? I mean, I'll drive to Philly if it really helps, but what should I say? Not that Philly is a particularly quick drive for me either. Haha

its not that far from brunswick dawg. philly parking sucks though. especially around the medical campus. parking wars is a great show.

i haven't gotten my secondary yet, but do you guys think it's just because my AMCAS was only verified 6 days ago (on july 27th)?

yes. they probably havent downloaded your app yet. give it time.

Does anyone still have the LORs as "Incomplete" on their secondary? I submitted my secondary here a week and a half ago, and other schools have already confirmed my LORS through AMCAS. Should I wait or contact them?

Does anyone still have the LORs as "Incomplete" on their secondary? I submitted my secondary here a week and a half ago, and other schools have already confirmed my LORS through AMCAS. Should I wait or contact them?

Ya contact them...they were very quick in updating complete statuses

According to my status page, they usually received my letters 1-2 days after AMCAS received them . It probably wouldn't hurt to call.

I finally got my secondary submitted yesterday! I'm excited. :)

Last edited:
Would it be okay to list a national/state award from high school or no?

sure, just list it. Guess what, if they don't care about it, it won't hurt you, it just won't help you either. I mean, on AMCAS last year, I listed two or three high school experiences (that I didn't continue into college). Sure, they said not to, but who cares, they're relevant. As a matter of fact, those experiences were the only clinical experiences I had, and most of the schools I applied to didn't have a problem with that.

So I don't think Penn will really have a problem with you listing major high school awards on their secondary (although the truth is, it probably won't help you much).

Speaking of awards, the only awards I got were relating to GPA and to being a varsity athlete. Is it worth it to list things like "All-academic team," "ITA scholar-athlete award," etc. I didn't actually have to do anything for these awards other than maintain a certain GPA while being on a team. Leaning towards leaving those out but I don't have anything else.

what about finalists for the Merage American Dream Fellowship? i was nominated by my school and one of the around 20 finalists, of which 12 were selected. if it's really not prestigious enough to mention being a finalist for, i would leave it off, but i can't figure out if it is or not.

Last edited:
what about finalists for the Merage American Dream Fellowship? i was nominated by my school and one of the around 20 finalists, of which 12 were selected. if it's really not prestigious enough to mention being a finalist for, i would leave it off, but i can't figure out if it is or not.

i was the exact same thing and i listed it.. I doubt it could really hurt to put it on

Status
Not open for further replies.