2009-2010 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called penn and they said that if you assign you LORs today it will take a couple of days for them to update your app. Apparently we were supposed to allocate our letters to the schools we were applying to when we submitted our primary.

Members don't see this ad.

I just called penn and they said that if you assign you LORs today it will take a couple of days for them to update your app. Apparently we were supposed to allocate our letters to the schools we were applying to when we submitted our primary.

man that would be risky though, cause we cant remove letters...o well couple days is better than a few weeks like it says on the website

Also, when I click on my 3 activities of choice, I am getting no option of writing 1000 characters. Is anyone else having this problem?

I am. I called the office and they told me I needed to be using Internet Explorer 6 or higher, disable all pop-up blockers, and enable javascript (what it says under technical requirements on the website). But I think I did all those things and am still having trouble... so let me know if you figure it out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
it appears that the "secondary" will be up soon because I woke up this morning and they now have a 2010 option on the status page login. It wasn't there yesterday. So I expect those with verified applications will be getting an email with a temporary password later today. Good luck!

:) Thanks, sleepy!

I don't know where I got this idea but is Penn non-rolling?

Yep.

thank you for the answer! in that case, it wouldn't make much of a difference if i hold off penn for couple day right? I really want to finish chicago and gtown right now.

bahhh why did they have to add these mini-essays??

I was totally planning on submitting this in like 5 seconds before I actually saw it :(

thank you for the answer! in that case, it wouldn't make much of a difference if i hold off penn for couple day right? I really want to finish chicago and gtown right now.

If it's non-rolling I don't see how it would matter when you submit as long as it is reasonably before the deadline.

Am I wrong on this?

If it's non-rolling I don't see how it would matter when you submit as long as it is reasonably before the deadline.

Am I wrong on this?

Because interviews are given on a rolling basis, even if admissions aren't. The later you submit, the less likely you are to get into the pool of applicants who get interviews and thus have a chance at admission.

a few days won't make that much of a difference. even a couple of weeks won't be a problem

For the awards question, do you think getting an award from your undergraduate institution counts? Would you consider a university to be a national organization?

Members don't see this ad :)
do honor societies count as awards?

I'd say no. To me, national means anyone in the nation can win it.

Thanks and one more question on the awards thing. If I won awards in high school should I mention them?

I just hate the idea of leaving it blank...

I really don't think they expect most people to have stuff for this. I mean the general undergraduate population doesn't usually even apply for national awards, so how would they win them? I really really doubt leaving it blank would be that bad. But again, that's just my thought.

Yea, I have no intent of writing anything. I mean, AED is a national honors society, but that's not really an award. I wouldn't try to force anything in there.

I really don't think they expect most people to have stuff for this. I mean the general undergraduate population doesn't usually even apply for national awards, so how would they win them? I really really doubt leaving it blank would be that bad. But again, that's just my thought.

I second this. I think it would be far worse to look like you are trying to fill this space (with honors societies, college awards, etc.).

I second this. I think it would be far worse to look like you are trying to fill this space (with honors societies, college awards, etc.)

Alright you have all convinced me. Blank it is. Damn I am easily persuaded.

I was going to leave it blank because I haven't really won anything like that in college, but their mention of "regional" and "state" was enough for me to list some stuff. I honestly don't think it's an issue either way - what I listed probably won't impress anyone, but if they don't care they can just skip over the ~25 words I wrote haha.

Wait a minute, here's what it says:

Have you been nominated or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe.

My interpretation of that is that basically any award can be listed, since it only needs to be from a state or regional or national organization. Are you guys reading this differently?

Wait a minute, here's what it says:

My interpretation of that is that basically any award can be listed, since it only needs to be from a state or regional or national organization. Are you guys reading this differently?

Yeah, I am. I don't see a university as a state organization. I really think they mean awards that are state-wide, region-wide, or nationwide, not school awards. If they meant that, they'd just ask for any awards you've received.

sounds to me that ksmi is right, why would they care about any awards you've won unless its really impressive (such as state or national awards).

That being said, I don't think it's a huge deal if someone puts other awards. The question is confusing enough that they can't blame us for not understanding it.

if in doubt, id say just leave it blank. you def listed the award on your amcas, so they will know you got it.

so things like phi beta kappa wouldn't count?

I'm listing scholarships I've received. Whatever, I doubt it really matters that much.
Agreed.

ksmi117, should the awards question be added to the initial post? It's not really an essay, but that section and the activities section are really the only two parts of the secondary an applicant has to think about. There's that first question about your main activity for the year if not in school as well. Also, LOR requirements?

Last edited:
For the activity descriptions, are you guys assuming that the admission committee will still glance over the descriptions of the chosen activities from our AMCAS application.

I went pretty exhaustive in my AMCAS descriptions and am unsure if it alright to essentially repeat what I wrote there.

The part underneath your parents where it says "If this parent has any of the Penn School of Medicine affiliations listed above, please provide his or her address" what affiliations are they talking about?

I second the question about whether or not Phi Beta Kappa is considered national. Someone please post opinions. Thanks

Agreed.

ksmi117, should the awards question be added to the initial post? It's not really an essay, but that section and the activities section are really the only two parts of the secondary an applicant has to think about. There's that first question about your main activity for the year if not in school as well. Also, LOR requirements?

I generally don't put listing questions in the prompts. But it doesn't really matter. I didn't put LORs because I didn't look them up yet. So if someone wants to do that for me and post in here or PM me, that'd be awesome. Otherwise, give me a little while.

Ask and ye shall receive.

There are two options for LoR:

1.Committee letter/letter packet from a pre-health advisor or career service office, with or without, additional letters attached. Letters from your school's pre-health advisor or career services office are preferred.

2. A minimum of two letters from faculty members who know you well, at least one of whom represents a science department. Letters must be on official stationery and submitted to AMCAS by the recommender.

All required letters of recommendation must be received at AMCAS by November 15, 5:00 p.m. EST. Additional letters of recommendation can be submitted during the application process and will be posted to your status page upon receipt. Applicants who are re-applying for the 2010 application year must have the required letters of recommendation resubmitted and sent directly to AMCAS.

Ask and ye shall receive.

There are two options for LoR:

1.Committee letter/letter packet from a pre-health advisor or career service office, with or without, additional letters attached. Letters from your school's pre-health advisor or career services office are preferred.

2. A minimum of two letters from faculty members who know you well, at least one of whom represents a science department. Letters must be on official stationery and submitted to AMCAS by the recommender.

All required letters of recommendation must be received at AMCAS by November 15, 5:00 p.m. EST. Additional letters of recommendation can be submitted during the application process and will be posted to your status page upon receipt. Applicants who are re-applying for the 2010 application year must have the required letters of recommendation resubmitted and sent directly to AMCAS.

Thanks! :)

For the awards, what do you all think about putting down a fellowship award that I won but did not accept? It's from the American Cancer Society, so that looks really good, but I don't know if it's weird to put it down since I did not pursue the offer...

Thanks, and good luck!

For the awards, what do you all think about putting down a fellowship award that I won but did not accept? It's from the American Cancer Society, so that looks really good, but I don't know if it's weird to put it down since I did not pursue the offer...

Thanks, and good luck!

I'd think that's fine. I mean it asks for ones you were just nominated for. Maybe just say that you were offered the award?

As far as Phi Beta Kappa goes, I guess that would be considered a national HONOR, since it's a national honor society.

However, when they're referring to city/state/national organizations, that means organizations outside your university that cater to the city/state/nation. This would mean an award from your State DoD, or maybe a grant from the NIH, or an award from Americorps, or a statewide scholarship, etc. Basically stuff that operates on a broad level. Your university, believe it or not, has a pretty specified purpose and doesn't really work for the city/state/nation.

As far as Phi Beta Kappa goes, I guess that would be considered a national HONOR, since it's a national honor society.

However, when they're referring to city/state/national organizations, that means organizations outside your university that cater to the city/state/nation. This would mean an award from your State DoD, or maybe a grant from the NIH, or an award from Americorps, or a statewide scholarship, etc. Basically stuff that operates on a broad level. Your university, believe it or not, has a pretty specified purpose and doesn't really work for the city/state/nation.

Yeah, it's an honor, but I wouldn't say it's an award. If you include PBK here, you'd have to include all honor societies. I'm thinking a national award as far as PBK goes would be like winning a scholarship that the regional/national office offers. But again, I think we're all thinking too much about this. If it was meaningful, we put it on our AMCAS, and they'll see it there.

Yeah, it's an honor, but I wouldn't say it's an award. If you include PBK here, you'd have to include all honor societies. I'm thinking a national award as far as PBK goes would be like winning a scholarship that the regional/national office offers. But again, I think we're all thinking too much about this. If it was meaningful, we put it on our AMCAS, and they'll see it there.

agreed. If PBK is on your AMCAS, I don't think listing it here would help that much. Penn knows what PBK is; they don't need you to clarify for them that it is a national award. let them make that decision

After you guys submitted and paid the fee, did you receive an email confirmation? I, for one, did not

Also, am I the only one that can edit my supplementary, even after I have submitted?

Last edited:
After you guys submitted and paid the fee, did you receive an email confirmation? I, for one, did not

Also, am I the only one that can edit my supplementary, even after I have submitted?

No, no email, and we can edit the app until it's marked complete by Penn.

Can you still edit yours, JJ? Or like what does it say on your status page?

Hi. For the following question in Penn's supplement: Are there any special circumstances that the Committee on Admissions should be aware of in reviewing your application to Penn Med?

It mentions that the answer should be if siblings/relative at Penn. I am a Penn undergrad, should I mention that? Even though they already know from my application. Or would I just leave it blank?

Do you think it would be terrible to give 2 mini essays rather than 3? They do say check up to 3 activities and expand upon those...

Status
Not open for further replies.