2009-2010 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They cash your check and apply it towards your tuition if you decide to matriculate. You get your money back if you withdraw before May 15.

So to answer your question: You won't be getting the money back.

What if we aren't paying tuition? (aka... on full scholarship or MD/PhD student?) o_O We're still not getting the money back?

Members don't see this ad.

What if we aren't paying tuition? (aka... on full scholarship or MD/PhD student?) o_O We're still not getting the money back?

What neuronix said. Unfortunately, nothing in life's free - not even an MD/PHD :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear anything today or over the weekend? anyone know if the post may 15th movement has already started or even ended?

Have you seen Borat? Shoot, I knew no one would get it. :(

I saw boart; hated it. Not my kinda comedy. Also not a fan of that Ron Burgundy kinda comedy.

So guess the reference went over my head :(

Did anyone else giggle with joy like a 12 yr old girl when they got the "Welcome to Penn Med" email this morning?

Because I know I did :laugh: I can't really figure out why I'm so excited about Penn; but all I know is I am and it's a good feeling :thumbup:

FYI: Transcripts need to be sent in to PennMed by June 15th

It's not very clear on the site, so I called to confirm that you do need to send them to suite 100 directly from your university; here's the full address:
University of Pennsylvania
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
Suite 100 Stemmler Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6056

[it's where you sent the deposit check]

Also on a side note, for the white coat ceremony - the "unofficial" limit to # of guests you can bring is 5. If you want to bring more, you should email someone at student affairs... I think her name is Nancy... something?

So I've got a question about finances, wondering if anyone can provide insight. If not, I'll end up contacting the folks at Penn, but since I just got done bothering them, I'll try here first for this query.

So I've heard that Penn's medical insurance is about 3,000 bucks. In the student budget, where is that 3,000 supposed to come from? Out of living expenses? On my financial aid award letter, there are 4 categories that total up to the total cost of attendanace; 'tuition and fees', 'miscellanous fees,' 'education expenses', and 'living expenses.'

Any ideas? Does that 3k come out of the 19k they have allotted for living expenses?

So I've got a question about finances, wondering if anyone can provide insight. If not, I'll end up contacting the folks at Penn, but since I just got done bothering them, I'll try here first for this query.

So I've heard that Penn's medical insurance is about 3,000 bucks. In the student budget, where is that 3,000 supposed to come from? Out of living expenses? On my financial aid award letter, there are 4 categories that total up to the total cost of attendanace; 'tuition and fees', 'miscellanous fees,' 'education expenses', and 'living expenses.'

Any ideas? Does that 3k come out of the 19k they have allotted for living expenses?

It comes out of "education expenses." You can see the breakdown here: http://www.med.upenn.edu/financialaid/budget.shtml.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its been a while since I have been on here but I was fortunate to receive a 21st Century Scholarship and will be matriculating at PENN. I'm looking forward to meeting some future peers!

Its been a while since I have been on here but I was fortunate to receive a 21st Century Scholarship and will be matriculating at PENN. I'm looking forward to meeting some future peers!

Congrats!

Wow.... people are not kidding when they say Penn has no name outside of medicine. Many people (out side of medicine) have recently asked where I'm heading to school. When I say "Penn" the majority respond with "oh," "I've never heard of it," "is it better than our state school?" And I live on the east coast.....:confused:

I went to a small undergrad and more people recognize it's name than Penn's! Looks like I'll need to stay in medicine (or business because of wharton) if I know what's good for me...

Wow.... people are not kidding when they say Penn has no name outside of medicine. Many people (out side of medicine) have recently asked where I'm heading to school. When I say "Penn" the majority respond with "oh," "I've never heard of it," "is it better than our state school?" And I live on the east coast.....:confused:

I went to a small undergrad and more people recognize it's name than Penn's! Looks like I'll need to stay in medicine (or business because of wharton) if I know what's good for me...

You and me both, friend. I tell people I'm going to Penn and most of the time their response is, "Penn State?" and when I told my mom I got into Penn she said, "Is that good?" My grandfather thinks Philadelphia is a state. But heck, they're all good people and I can't blame them for not knowing about something that has nothing to do with their day to day lives. Kind of off topic but once I was curious about who the other guy in Wham! was, so I texted my mom and within one minute she replied, "Andrew Ridgeley." Nice!

Elaborating to "University of Pennsylvania" might help, or #2 med school in the country, or an ivy league school.

All of those will get you the ooohs and ahhhs you're looking for. Otherwise just roll your eyes and keep it moving when they inevitably incorrectly refer to it as Penn State like everyone else.

Haha, I'm not looking for "oooohs" and "ahhhs." It really just surprised me that's all. I have elaborated to "University of Pennsylvania" which promoted a question about whether I got into my state school.

Haha... it sure helps to really love Penn. The questions don't dampen my spirit; they're just interesting :)

Elaborating to "University of Pennsylvania" might help, or #2 med school in the country, or an ivy league school.

All of those will get you the ooohs and ahhhs you're looking for. Otherwise just roll your eyes and keep it moving when they inevitably incorrectly refer to it as Penn State like everyone else.

Anyone know what a first year schedule is like? Trying to decide if its worth the 30 min walk/15 min bus ride to live in center city.

Is there down time during the day where I might want to go back to my apartment or are we in class/small groups for a solid chunk of time?

Haha I kinda get something similar when I say PennMed - "You mean Penn state?" And I have to elaborate to University of Pennsylvania. It seems those who's been through the university system (like my friends etc.) know UPenn. But some people from my parents' generation who didn't go through the university system don't really know the university names (outside of Harvard basically :smuggrin:).

But I do find it odd that people don't know UPenn considering it's one of the oldest universities in the nation :confused:

Meh, in those cases I just say - it's a good medical school and move on :laugh:

Anyone know what a first year schedule is like? Trying to decide if its worth the 30 min walk/15 min bus ride to live in center city.

Is there down time during the day where I might want to go back to my apartment or are we in class/small groups for a solid chunk of time?

I'm looking at the calendar they handed out when we were there for interviews. I'm looking at late sept/early oct and it seems we have class back to back from 8am to about 3 or sometimes 4pm. There's usually a small break (1/2 - 1 hour) around 1pm [hopefully for lunch :D]. On the days we have exams, we are done by lunch time. Or if there are two exams in one day, we have like 2-3 hours of a break in between (in the afternoon)

I'm assuming this is how the general schedule looks too (but I could be way off). But to answer your question - it doesn't look like we'll have a substantial break in the middle of the day where you'd be twiddling your thumbs enough to go home mid day... so it wouldn't really matter if it took you ~20 minutes to get home.

Live in Center City. Believe me, you won't regret it for a second.

You can sometimes find cheaper rent in West Philly, but to be honest, there's a weird monopoly of greedy renters out there that know Penn and Drexel students will pay to be close to campus....so the Center City housing prices end up being not too much different in the end. Slightly more, but really, not too much different. Most Penn Med students that I know who live in West Philly the first year...end up moving to Center City during M2.

It's really way more fun, and because Center City is so walkable...you're basically living in beautiful neighborhoods with fun stuff to do everywhere just a few blocks away. West Philly/U.City aren't bad persay, but it's a different scene....and it's definitely more annoying to go out to the fun parts of CC when you have to worry about the trek back across the river late at night. I personally wouldn't give this up to live closer to school. If anything, you'll appreciate being able to leave the "University City Island" and escape to the normalcy of Center City when you're not in class.

Just my two cents. BTW, if anyone is looking for a large house to share next year among 4 Penn Med students...I'm likely leaving mine August 15th. So if you can find temporary housing to move in a week or two after orientation, I'd totally give it to you (and to be honest, you'd love it).

It's a 4BR townhouse...right next to the South Street Bridge (which when it re-opens, means that you live in CC, but are only a 5 minute bike ride or 15 minute walk from the Hospital). You definitely could go home for lunch, I used to do this.

Brand new 5 years ago, roof deck, patios, marble countertops, huge bedrooms, includes free furniture that my landlord left and that we'll be leaving (50" TV, couches, bedframes, beds, office desks, tv stands, kitchen table, futon, etc.). Rent is between 600-800/monthly depending on whether or not you take the master suite or the other bedrooms.

Sorry...shameless plug. I told my landlord I'd try and find some people to replace us.

Bizarre question, but does anyone know if there are pet stores in West Philly that sell feeder rats?

Bizarre question, but does anyone know if there are pet stores in West Philly that sell feeder rats?

Yes. There definitely are! One of my friends owns a large snake and picks them up occasionally. Not sure which store, but he defintely gets them. ($2/rat I think). There is also a monthly reptile fair about an hour or so outside of the city. Bizarre, bizarre experiences.....

Yes. There definitely are! One of my friends owns a large snake and picks them up occasionally. Not sure which store, but he defintely gets them. ($2/rat I think). There is also a monthly reptile fair about an hour or so outside of the city. Bizarre, bizarre experiences.....

Thanks! The reptile fair sounds really cool... maybe I can get my snake a ladyfriend!

Hey md, my name is Phillip and I am going to be a first year at Penn this upcoming fall. I was wondering about the details of your current place. Could you send me a pm, as my current roommate and I would love to check it out.

... I haven't been around SDN that long; but I'm pretty sure this takes the trophy for the most "whoa, whoa what?!" question ever asked :lol:

Yea I was wondering if that's what he meant by feeder rats... Hirudo you've got a snake eh?

Btw this is why penn is awesome - some of their students have snakes.

... I haven't been around SDN that long; but I'm pretty sure this takes the trophy for the most "whoa, whoa what?!" question ever asked :lol:

I'm not gonna lie, I was seriously thrown for a loop for a second. Glad it wasn't just me.

Yea I was wondering if that's what he meant by feeder rats... Hirudo you've got a snake eh?

Btw this is why penn is awesome - some of their students have snakes.

You bet!

Last edited:
So I was a little concerned that my Status page showed my fafsa as "not received" and that my transcripts weren't received either.

- I emailed the financial aid office and they told me my fafsa has been received, even though the website says different.

- I called the admissions office, they checked their records and they have received 2/3 of my transcripts (again, even though the website says different). I know NYU's being really slow sending my transcript out - so that isn't Penn's problem.

Moral of the story - looks like Penn's getting a little... er... lax in updating our status pages with what's been received and what hasn't. So the best way to make sure they've got your paper work is to call or email them. And since the transcripts are due by June 15th (2 weeks from now) - if your status page hasn't updated yet - call them to make sure everything's set! :thumbup:

So on the Penn status website, on the "What's Next" Page, there is mention a student health form, requiring a student health history and immunizations. Says the info about this is supposed to go out after May 14th.

I haven't heard anything, and I lose my health insurance at the end of this month, so I want to take care of this now.

Anyone heard anything about this health info form?

So on the Penn status website, on the "What's Next" Page, there is mention a student health form, requiring a student health history and immunizations. Says the info about this is supposed to go out after May 14th.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think they want the form linked to from this site: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php

I haven't heard anything, and I lose my health insurance at the end of this month, so I want to take care of this now.

Anyone heard anything about this health info form?

Yea this info was just sent out today - w/ the whole list of stuff we've got to do before orientation. Looks like you can have all the forms filled out etc; but can't submit it till after you get your PennKey.

Here's the direct link for the health reqs:

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php

Hmm on the penn Med student page I have to select 2010 from the dropdown menu for "application year" before I can log in... because it defaults to 2011 now :eek:

Wow; can't believe a year's gone by since our app cycle - damn that was fast. Also - anyone check out the Summer Study assignment(s)? (Not the Better book). That's a lot of homework :D

Does anyone actually do that summer reading? For the love of god relax. What is the administration thinking?!

Also, do not buy books until consulting with students the year ahead of you. You don't need very many books, and you certainly don't need all of the ones recommended for most courses.

Does anyone actually do that summer reading? For the love of god relax. What is the administration thinking?!

Also, do not buy books until consulting with students the year ahead of you. You don't need very many books, and you certainly don't need all of the ones recommended for most courses.

Who said I was going to do the summer reading :ninja:. I had the same reaction as you did.. it seems like quite a bit of reading.

But they did give us another reading assignment too - the book Better by Atul Gawande. I've wanted to read that book & his other book - Checklist - for a while now; I figure this was a pretty good incentive to catch up on my (very short) reading list. It's actually a pretty good book!

And about the advise on buying textbooks - yea that's what I keep hearing. I think the student government site or whatever also has some good information on what the "absolute minimum" textbook requirements are for the different modules etc.

Eh. July's my vacation month; I'll worry about this stuff when I get there :thumbup: Although I do need to figure out my jacket size pretty soon :shifty:

Hey guys. Getting my stuff ready to move down to Philly (lease starts in July) and wondering what most Penn Kids do for note taking. Is is one of those things where they print out lecture slides for you and everyone takes notes on them? I know it sounds stupid but if that's the case I'll bring my binders from college because I'm broke and the idea of buying a whole new set of binders if I get to Philly and decide I need them is not exactly attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.