2009 wreb exam takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just momani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all upcoming dentists for the next year of the wreb ....
they haven't started the online registration yet , hope everyone prepared for patient selection and ready for PATP assessment also :)
please do post any notes or comments anyone would like to share or even any questions about the whole thing ....

I'll start
I'm looking for my patients now and studying a bit :love:

Members don't see this ad.

If they are just barely to the DEJ, they will be fine. Trust me, I've taken the WREB twice and I freaked out (like most of us do) both times about radiographs. Both times I thought I had lesions that would not get accepted, but had no problems.

Thanks for the reassurance. So you took it twice? Can you give us any pointers for operative...what to do, not to do, instruments...and so on.

many wreb exams have been taken , but no one is posting his \ her experiences , any unusual things especially in PATP cases this year on computer ..... hope all done well and no surprises , but if you took the exam and want to share anything please do :)

Members don't see this ad :)
many wreb exams have been taken , but no one is posting his \ her experiences , any unusual things especially in PATP cases this year on computer ..... hope all done well and no surprises , but if you took the exam and want to share anything please do :)

Today is the last day of the WREB @ UCLA. I think aprox. 110 takers took the exam, some 2nd or even 3rd time. It’s hard to explain the individual experience, unless you took it at least once.

Today is the last day of the WREB @ UCLA. I think aprox. 110 takers took the exam, some 2nd or even 3rd time. It’s hard to explain the individual experience, unless you took it at least once.

did you take it as well?
how did it go for you? anything you can share would be appreciated.

Im taking WREB operative section in 3wks. So far, I have 3 good patients, reliable and all, but their class II's either just touching CEJ or a hair thin shy from it. Funny, but PA films show more prominent lesions than BW's on one of the pts. Next wk, I have my 1st candidate coming in for the last round of radiation, hopefully I'll see those clear triangles :luck:

Gavin, how come you took the wreb twice?

We have a "wreb/nerb" expert on the clinic floor, she thinks my lesions should be re-taken to make sure they qualify. Another doc from radiology says I should not worry and take a chill.

can't wait 'till it's all over

Today is the last day of the WREB @ UCLA. I think aprox. 110 takers took the exam, some 2nd or even 3rd time. It's hard to explain the individual experience, unless you took it at least once.

Atlanta, nice avatar! (gde ego vzjal?)

Im taking WREB operative section in 3wks. So far, I have 3 good patients, reliable and all, but their class II's either just touching CEJ or a hair thin shy from it. Funny, but PA films show more prominent lesions than BW's on one of the pts. Next wk, I have my 1st candidate coming in for the last round of radiation, hopefully I'll see those clear triangles :luck:

We have a "wreb/nerb" expert on the clinic floor, she thinks my lesions should be re-taken to make sure they qualify. Another doc from radiology says I should not worry and take a chill.

i am taking mine in 3 weeks in Louisville. where are you taking yours?
i have one good and reliable class 2, perio, and class 3 pt. i have a back up for restorative but havent seen the pt in clinics yet. with travelling to another state and assistant fee etc its costing me about $4500. i dont know what i'll do if i fail.

i cant wait for this part of my life to be over.

did you take it as well?
how did it go for you? anything you can share would be appreciated.

The process is tiring for you and even more for your patients. Getting good and reliable patients is the hardest part of this test.

You can read about my two WREB experiences, just do a search for my username and WREB and you'll find some decent stuff.

Thanks for the reassurance. So you took it twice? Can you give us any pointers for operative...what to do, not to do, instruments...and so on.

1st time I took it I thought I passed and I failed by less than a point (as I recall--check my previous threads about WREB for my actual score).

2nd time I thought I failed (or at least the endo portion for my GP being so frickin' far out the apex), but I passed with plenty of room to spare.

Those two experiences make no sense to me when I compare them. I WAS better prepared the second time because I knew what they were looking for when it comes to operative. I also think I managed my time better. Take time on your preps. Have small lesions that meet the requirements. From my previous experience I knew that those lesions are much bigger clinically than they are on the radiograph. You want a nice lesion, but don't get a rejection for it. My experience with all 4 cavities I submitted is that I thought they wouldn't get accepted, but they all did. They went right to the DEJ with a small dot of caries at the DEJ.

Above all, READ THE CANDIDATE GUIDE! It gives EXACT specs for preps and grades. Don't leave caries.

:

I took it twice because I failed the first time.

Use the PA that shows the lesions for sure to the DEJ. It only has to show on either the PA or BWX, not on both. Don't stress it if the PA clearly shows what is needed.

Radiographic calculus on the FMX for perio isn't required, but I do believe it makes the patient more likely to qualify. If it's radiographic they can't argue that it isn't there. If it is only detectable by explorer they could argue that they don't feel it or are feeling the CEJ or something ridiculous like that.

gavin you are absolutely right.

not only you should read the guide you should read it several times. i have read it wait i have lost count and i still carry it everywhere i go. i know this sounds crazy but i get myself so worked up about boards that i forget things.

last thing i want is to wait for the CFE to answer a question that i could have answered myself.

well, 2 1/2 weeks left. i cant wait till this part is behind me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my WREB about 2 weeks back. Everything went well except Perio. I had my perio approved by perio faculty who supposedly was good for exam criteria. Radiographically you could see in 2 spots, but clinically he said it was good so I went with it. It got rejected! I lost 10 percent I believe. So I resubmitted with another quadrant and it got approved. Hopefully everything goes well with it, but taking a 10 percent hit totally sucks!

I took my WREB about 2 weeks back. Everything went well except Perio. I had my perio approved by perio faculty who supposedly was good for exam criteria. Radiographically you could see in 2 spots, but clinically he said it was good so I went with it. It got rejected! I lost 10 percent I believe. So I resubmitted with another quadrant and it got approved. Hopefully everything goes well with it, but taking a 10 percent hit totally sucks!

It does suck. A note to other test-takers: faculty don't always know what they are talking about. I was told that my operative radiographs didn't demonstrate the proper criteria (told it 4 times for four patients), but I knew they did and used them. No rejections.

How was the prostho part of the CSW?

i am taking mine in 3 weeks in Louisville. where are you taking yours?
i have one good and reliable class 2, perio, and class 3 pt. i have a back up for restorative but havent seen the pt in clinics yet. with travelling to another state and assistant fee etc its costing me about $4500. i dont know what i'll do if i fail.

i cant wait for this part of my life to be over.

Perfect,
Im taking mine in Cleveland, OH at Case Dental. Yeah, traveling expense can add up, but it will all pay off as long as you get your precious license. It feels like 90% success depends on your qualified patient and 10% on you.
Hell with it, I'll swallow some vallium on the day of exam and will be all right :luck: Worked for my during my mock boards :D

what makes me mad is that i paid so much money to take this exam and the test site wont provide us a cavitron, curing light, resin, bonding agent, etch, etc. it sucks even more that i cannot rent the cavitron or curing light from my school either. i have to scramble and see where i could find one.

i think that all my pts are very reliable and feel good about my pts meeting the criteria. i hope i am right.

good luck buddy. they say it takes 4 weeks to find out the results. please let us know how long it took to get your results.

my perio pt has a ton of calculus the are both radiographic and clinically visible. what i like about the wreb is that you can take as long as you want to do your work. i am planning on running that cavitron for a long time to make sure all calculus is gone.

exactly 2 weeks left before i take mine.:eek:

Hi,

I have an office in Northern California and have set it up for multiple students to practice and also can provide techniques and ideas to pass your exam. I can let you take x-rays if needed, either digital or reg. processing. I also have seperate operatory room for you to bring in your patient for evaluation.

Thanks,

Serious inquiries only!

Where in Northern California? I am looking for perio patient since I am in Fla. Any tips are appreciated. Also is 6 weeks study time good enough for written exams? I took Fla. 1 yr. 1/2 ago. Help. I am getting concerned maybe I signed up too quick for exam.

took the wrebs 3 weeks ago @ NYU...still waiting for results. i guess it is going to take the full 4 weeks...

took the wrebs 3 weeks ago @ NYU...still waiting for results. i guess it is going to take the full 4 weeks...

good luck!

how did it go for ya? any tips you could share with us? how were the CFEs? were they nice/mean?

thanks

Thanks...all in all it went pretty well. I also had my perio patient rejected at the first submission, so I had to re submit with 2 quads, just like my buddy dental 916 (im pretty sure we were the only two with this problem @ nyu). Also, I had some coronal voids for the anterior endo. But everything else went pretty smooth, at least I think... The CFE's were really nice and easy to approach, however there was an incident where I had to correct one of the CFE regarding protocol for having a patient class II approved and prep/restoring on a different day...so basically they dont know everything! My advice is to rely on the candidate guide rather than trusting what they have to say...good luck to everyone!

also Go LAKERS! getting ready to watch the laker/memphis game!

I found all of my floor examiners to be very nice and knowledgeable. Your point is well taken that when push comes to shove it is YOUR exam and YOUR license that you are working towards. Study the candidate guide again and again to know ALL of the rules and criteria. You can't blame success or failure on anybody other than yourself.

if you do not pass does it come in a larger envelope with extra paperwork?

The size of the envelope is the same, however it is thicker from the extra paperwork...if you pass they only mail you the success card and one letter, whereas if you fail, you will get a detailed score sheet.

Hi CrazyJ116 congratulations:thumbup: in passing this exam it means a lot I took the exam at UCLA so I guess I have more 7 days to wait!
What is the color of the envelope white? or brown?
Besides the pt denial did you have any rejection in your modification request?
Let us know thanks!

Hi CrazyJ116 congratulations:thumbup: in passing this exam it means a lot I took the exam at UCLA so I guess I have more 7 days to wait!
What is the color of the envelope white? or brown?
Besides the pt denial did you have any rejection in your modification request?
Let us know thanks!

The results came in a standard letter size white envelope. And as I metioned previously, you will know if you passed even before you open the envelope..thin = pass :) , thick= fail :(
I was lucky to have great patients. I used the same patient for class II amalgam & composite (I couldnt find a good class III.) Overall, I only requested one modification on the class II amalgam, which was approved by the floor examiner. Other than that, I really had no issues. Without the detailed score sheet, I have no clue how I did for each section. I am somewhat curious how I did each section, and if I scored as I predicted, but its like $40 to order...I'm just relieved I passed. Good luck, hope you get a thin envelope!

Last edited:
The size of the envelope is the same, however it is thicker from the extra paperwork...if you pass they only mail you the success card and one letter, whereas if you fail, you will get a detailed score sheet.

1-2 extra sheets of paper that you get if you fail doesn't make the envelope any thicker.

An easier way to tell without opening it:

If you PASS, your name will show through the envelope window from your success card.

If you FAIL, your name will be printed on the outside of the envelope (no window).

Trust me, I know. :D

thanks people for your inputs concerning the thickness of the envolpe we'll get .... I think what we'll care about is hearing input about csw and PATP exam , just headlines people ? is it as the sample questions we all spread around , is there a referance we can use ?
for me i'm studying dentaldecks ?? please do share your input

Hi ,
My friend last question did you name came out in the windown envelope or your name was printed out on the envelope outside please let us know ! Thanks!

I just finished the exam at ucla, did not get any pink slips at all ! i thought it went ok! But in the endo I got 0.5mm away from the anatomic apex (o.5mm short) on both premolars and incisors no bubbles or voids however for the mesiodistal xray for the incisor I took the wrong projection then what I had taken before, I didnt have time to take another shot otherwise i would be late, my major mistake was that the facial lingual was in the same projection but my mesial-distal was " flopped" :(the other way but still disgnosable what do you think it will happen?
Please let me know!

I just finished the exam at ucla, did not get any pink slips at all ! i thought it went ok! But in the endo I got 0.5mm away from the anatomic apex (o.5mm short) on both premolars and incisors no bubbles or voids however for the mesiodistal xray for the incisor I took the wrong projection then what I had taken before, I didnt have time to take another shot otherwise i would be late, my major mistake was that the facial lingual was in the same projection but my mesial-distal was " flopped" :(the other way but still disgnosable what do you think it will happen?
Please let me know!

I am taking the exam in Loma Linda in June. I am looking for perio patient since I am in Florida. Any ideas? Is your perio patient available for me to do another quadrant? I will pay. Please let me know. Good luck!

Anybody knows anyone or can share a patient for June exam in Los Angeles area (LLU)?
I am in Florida and cannot afford paying Patient Finding Svcs.
Truly appreciate help.

Hi ,
My friend last question did you name came out in the windown envelope or your name was printed out on the envelope outside please let us know ! Thanks!

As ItsGavinC mentioned, I passed my exam so mine had a window envelope. Although, I believe the evnelope thickness was considerably noticable in comparing mine and my friend who failed, I agree, the easier way to know right away is check how your name appears on the envelope.

For CSW and PATP, I didnt really study much and relied on my general knowledge gained from clinical experience. The only advice I received for PATP was to NOT OVER DIAGNOS. I found 5 key items and stuck with that. Also, the recall matainence is based on perio and not operative.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

I recieved my score...PASS. That's all it says... no specifics. Glad its all over.

Hi My friend where did you take the exam? Did you have any complications?
How was everything overall?
Thanks!

:(
Got the results today passed in everything except prostho got 66.70 please can someone give me some advise about how to study for this session?
My other scores were
In endo 4.5
In operative 3.91
In perio 96.85%
In PATP 4.25

Ahhh I am so mad that this exam isnt over yet! Please I need some advise!

quick question for those who have taken the WREB or know this for sure.

my class 3 pt has a good size lesion on the mesial of #9 that is clinically visible on the lingual. however, when i take x rays you cannot see the lesion or the lesion extending to the DEJ. i read the manual and it says it caries must penetrate all the way to the DEJ on the required x ray. is that mean this pt will be rejected even though you can see caries (and looks like a good size to reach dej) clinically?

thanks for your reply

quick question for those who have taken the WREB or know this for sure.

my class 3 pt has a good size lesion on the mesial of #9 that is clinically visible on the lingual. however, when i take x rays you cannot see the lesion or the lesion extending to the DEJ. i read the manual and it says it caries must penetrate all the way to the DEJ on the required x ray. is that mean this pt will be rejected even though you can see caries (and looks like a good size to reach dej) clinically?

thanks for your reply

YES. It MUST be visible on the radiograph or they will be rejected.

thanks Gav.
i am gonna see the pt again on monday and try to take some more radiographs with increased Kv and hopefully be able to see it. i hate this scramble for pts.

Just finished WREB today. Thought I would share my mistakes for others not to repeat.

1) Caries or not? I realized that in school I haven't done much "detection" of caries. I look on the radiograph or find a stick and start cutting till I'm on sound tooth structure. If it seems questionable then I hit it with the slow speed round bur. That is not how the WREB works. You cut the ideal prep and then DETECT caries BEFORE extending outline form, internal form, etc. RECOMMENDATION: get in the habit of using your explorer and FEELING for caries BEFORE you extend outline form on operative.

2) Caries or not (2)? for the WREB you use BRAND NEW SHARP explorers. I had never used a brand new sharp explorer before (ours have been used and autoclaved a million times). The new sharp explorer seemed to STICK into everything and I was very unsure about what was caries/affected dentin and what wasn't. RECOMMENDATION: Practice operative on LIVE patients using NEW SHARP EXPLORER.

3) Dont count on memory: On my 2nd operative pt, I got a little rushed on time. I didn't floss my contact (it was too tight). RECOMMENDATION: before sending each procedure for grading, go down "ideal grading criteria" worksheet and check each criteria. That way you wont miss something easy.

Just finished WREB today. Thought I would share my mistakes for others not to repeat.

1) Caries or not? I realized that in school I haven't done much "detection" of caries. I look on the radiograph or find a stick and start cutting till I'm on sound tooth structure. If it seems questionable then I hit it with the slow speed round bur. That is not how the WREB works. You cut the ideal prep and then DETECT caries BEFORE extending outline form, internal form, etc. RECOMMENDATION: get in the habit of using your explorer and FEELING for caries BEFORE you extend outline form on operative.

2) Caries or not (2)? for the WREB you use BRAND NEW SHARP explorers. I had never used a brand new sharp explorer before (ours have been used and autoclaved a million times). The new sharp explorer seemed to STICK into everything and I was very unsure about what was caries/affected dentin and what wasn't. RECOMMENDATION: Practice operative on LIVE patients using NEW SHARP EXPLORER.

3) Dont count on memory: On my 2nd operative pt, I got a little rushed on time. I didn't floss my contact (it was too tight). RECOMMENDATION: before sending each procedure for grading, go down "ideal grading criteria" worksheet and check each criteria. That way you wont miss something easy.

thanks a lot bud. i really appreciate this. i'll be taking it in 5 days in Ky.

My job in Kansas is waiting for all this. I can start working the day after i pass this damn thing.

do you know where you heading after you are done?

a huge thanks for you dear :) hope you pass
i'm sure you got some more advices for us or tips :)
hope to hear from you soon, thank you from all of us i guess

Does it really take four weeks to receive WREB results? Did any past WREB takers get their results sooner than that? Thanks.