2009 wreb exam takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just momani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all upcoming dentists for the next year of the wreb ....
they haven't started the online registration yet , hope everyone prepared for patient selection and ready for PATP assessment also :)
please do post any notes or comments anyone would like to share or even any questions about the whole thing ....

I'll start
I'm looking for my patients now and studying a bit :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really take four weeks to receive WREB results? Did any past WREB takers get their results sooner than that? Thanks.

Last year I got mine in exactly 2 weeks from completion of the exam. I think it also depends on the time of the year. Some months/weeks have multiple exams occuring.

2) Caries or not (2)? for the WREB you use BRAND NEW SHARP explorers. I had never used a brand new sharp explorer before (ours have been used and autoclaved a million times). The new sharp explorer seemed to STICK into everything and I was very unsure about what was caries/affected dentin and what wasn't. RECOMMENDATION: Practice operative on LIVE patients using NEW SHARP EXPLORER.

Dull the explorer before you send it with the patient to the graders. It can only help!

Does anyone know how critical are they on accepting endo teeth with the putty more than 1/4 recommended distance b/w the apex and CEJ?

My mounted molar has the putty just a bit over a half the distance and it's too late to remount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how critical are they on accepting endo teeth with the putty more than 1/4 recommended distance b/w the apex and CEJ?

My mounted molar has the putty just a bit over a half the distance and it's too late to remount.

I was concerned about the same thing. The putty on my premolar extended halfway up the distance from the apex to the CEJ. It was tricky mounting the tooth. I think the tooth sank a little bit into the putty as I was injecting the material. However, my sextant was approved.

I know of other classmates who submitted teeth with putty over 1/4 up the root but they were all approved. In fact, all of the endo teeth at my test site were approved.

You should be alright.

Urgent response needed!!!!

someone found me a class 3 pt (who i have not seen yet) finally. it is #10-ML but the pt has a root tip on the upper right that is clinically visible. its been there for years. do you think she may be rejected because of that? the wreb manual say there should be no pathology. i am worried. she will be my operative pt tomorrow.

your response is much appreciated.

Urgent response needed!!!!

someone found me a class 3 pt (who i have not seen yet) finally. it is #10-ML but the pt has a root tip on the upper right that is clinically visible. its been there for years. do you think she may be rejected because of that? the wreb manual say there should be no pathology. i am worried. she will be my operative pt tomorrow.

your response is much appreciated.

Which tooth # is the root tip? I think the WREB manual is referring to the tooth you are treating when it talks about "no pathology."

Which tooth # is the root tip? I think the WREB manual is referring to the tooth you are treating when it talks about "no pathology."

thats what i thought too. i just wanted to make sure and hope they dont make a big deal about it.

the root tip is from #7.

thanks for your response

As the other poster said, not a problem. They give that specific criteria so that the tooth doesn't fall out of the sextant while you work on it (more apex putty = less fixing gel to hold it in place!). Endo rejections rarely happen (really rarely!)

thats what i thought too. i just wanted to make sure and hope they dont make a big deal about it.

the root tip is from #7.

thanks for your response

1) a root tip isn't pathology. It's a root tip.
2) I also think they are referring to the tooth you are working on. In other words, you can't do an MO on a tooth that has a periapical radiolucency, because the tooth needs endo, not an MO filling.

You should be fine!

1) a root tip isn't pathology. It's a root tip.
2) I also think they are referring to the tooth you are working on. In other words, you can't do an MO on a tooth that has a periapical radiolucency, because the tooth needs endo, not an MO filling.

You should be fine!

thanks for the response Gavin.

i had my operative day today and they accepted the tooth. i had not seen this pt till yesterday and all i had seen was the x ray. so the tooth gets accepted and i numb her up. i start to prep the tooth and notice the tooth has a class 2 mobilty which completely freaked me out. i had no idea what to do(worried about the contact when i finished) but i went with it. ended up having OK contact and wrote a note to the examiner saying the contact maybe light due to mobility. they were really nice and everything ended up fine.

so the whole operative day was great. i had no modifications or pink slips so i am hoping i have passed the operative.

tomorrow i go for perio and endo. :eek:

thanks for the response Gavin.

i had my operative day today and they accepted the tooth. i had not seen this pt till yesterday and all i had seen was the x ray. so the tooth gets accepted and i numb her up. i start to prep the tooth and notice the tooth has a class 2 mobilty which completely freaked me out. i had no idea what to do(worried about the contact when i finished) but i went with it. ended up having OK contact and wrote a note to the examiner saying the contact maybe light due to mobility. they were really nice and everything ended up fine.

so the whole operative day was great. i had no modifications or pink slips so i am hoping i have passed the operative.

tomorrow i go for perio and endo. :eek:

Nice job! I know you've been through this before. Do your best!

Nice job! I know you've been through this before. Do your best!

well the perio portions went well i thought but i failed the molar endo. my pre op x ray looked good but no matter what i did i couldnt find the damn orfice for the ditals of #19. i could only find the MB and the whole floor was all calcified. i tried and tried but nothing. i finally quit and just tuned the damn thing. my anterior came out really nice but it wont matter.

i guess i'll be retaking the endo part somewhere in CA that is if i have passed both written sections.

the waiting game now begins.:(

I was concerned about the same thing. The putty on my premolar extended halfway up the distance from the apex to the CEJ. It was tricky mounting the tooth. I think the tooth sank a little bit into the putty as I was injecting the material. However, my sextant was approved.

I know of other classmates who submitted teeth with putty over 1/4 up the root but they were all approved. In fact, all of the endo teeth at my test site were approved.

You should be alright.

I had my molar remounted anyways and got everything accepted without problems. There were 8 people rejected due to restoration overlapping the pulp radiographicaly and super short roots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my last perio/endo section of the WREB. Did operative, both class II amal/comp yesterday. The lesions were just to the DEJ. Class II slot prep had went smooth without any mods. Class II amalgam had one modification even though the lesion looked on the border line of acceptance.

Endo went well, I think I finished 30 min before the time was up. Straight canals, no classifications. One of the classmates had a pulp stone that made 'em sweat a bit, but went fine at the end.

Same for perio, no rejections. I quad. Calculus got flying everywhere when I cranked my Cavitron up the full power. A huge chunk of calculus came off from the disto-lingal of #17 exposing carious dentin that got me a bit worried.

Hopefully it won't take 4 wks for the results to arrive. How long has it been for you guys?

2) Caries or not (2)? The new sharp explorer seemed to STICK into everything and I was very unsure about what was caries/affected dentin and what wasn't. RECOMMENDATION: Practice operative on LIVE patients using NEW SHARP EXPLORER.

True, but according to the manual, the cavity will be checked with "light" pressure. Definition of "light pressure" is slightly skewed for those using same explorers since SD1 :D

Last edited:
Just finished my last perio/endo section of the WREB. Did operative, both class II amal/comp yesterday. The lesions were just to the DEJ. Class II slot prep had went smooth without any mods. Class II amalgam had one modification even though the lesion looked on the border line of acceptance.

Endo went well, I think I finished 30 min before the time was up. Straight canals, no classifications. One of the classmates had a pulp stone that made 'em sweat a bit, but went fine at the end.

Same for perio, no rejections. I quad. Calculus got flying everywhere when I cranked my Cavitron up the full power. A huge chunk of calculus came off from the disto-lingal of #17 exposing carious dentin that got me a bit worried.

Hopefully it won't take 4 wks for the results to arrive. How long has it been for you guys?

i talked to bunch of guys that are students at Louisville and they said that last year it took 10 days for the results.

keep those fingers crossed and hope we get em soon. i am going to order my new sextants and hopefully find a better tooth this time.

[/COLOR]

i talked to bunch of guys that are students at Louisville and they said that last year it took 10 days for the results.

keep those fingers crossed and hope we get em soon. i am going to order my new sextants and hopefully find a better tooth this time.

If you look on the WREB website it looks like it's taking a little over 2 weeks for scores to be mailed out.

I thought that I had picked out a really easy tooth for my posterior endo but when I accessed it was another story.

Waiting is hard. :xf:

If you look on the WREB website it looks like it's taking a little over 2 weeks for scores to be mailed out.
I thought that I had picked out a really easy tooth for my posterior endo but when I accessed it was another story.

HAHA
i was about to write the same exact thing after looking at the wreb. i think it takes 4 weeks if you took it early but this late in the game they try to be faster.

i totally jinxed myself for the endo. i kept saying if everything else goes well i'll knock the endo part outta the park. i sat there in disbelief trying to find the damn canals. i was so frustrated that i destroyed the whole tooth looking for those bad boys. now i just hope that i only failed endo and not the 2 written parts. it would suck to have to retake the whole thing.

well good luck to you.

brings back the memories of when i applied to dental school and had to wait and wait for the mail man.

brings back the memories of when i applied to dental school and had to wait and wait for the mail man.

It's only been one week since the exam but it feels like it's been a month. I do hope the scores come soon.

I don't think I've ever gone through as much stress as I have with the WREB. My class II and perio patients were borderline-qualifying and I had no back-ups so just waiting for approval was crazy. A couple of my patients weren't as cooperative as I had hoped they would be, too, so that added some extra pressure.

Endo took forever because of the surprise upon access so I'm not feeling too well about my posterior endo but it's over, so whatever.

Good luck to you, too, Perfect. :thumbup:

does anyone know how retaking a section works and how much it costs?

the wreb site says you have to go through mail in app process. i'd like to retake the endo section at LL or USC in june and i am afraid those sites may be full by the time i get the results.

i totally jinxed myself for the endo. i kept saying if everything else goes well i'll knock the endo part outta the park. i sat there in disbelief trying to find the damn canals. i was so frustrated that i destroyed the whole tooth looking for those bad boys. now i just hope that i only failed endo and not the 2 written parts. it would suck to have to retake the whole thing.

well good luck to you.

Just because you didn't find the distal canal doesn't mean you failed. I thought I failed my endo this last time and passed! Go figure!

37% of the entire score--but we are talking about one tooth, which means if you get 0 access points for that tooth, you can still get 82% of the total possible endo points.

the only thing i could get for the molar would be the access points. since i couldnt find the canal to file or obturate i lose the 63% of the grade for that tooth. that is a big chunk of points to miss. my anterior looked really good and i feel i would get all the points for that.

if i pass it'll be a miracle.

p.s do they send the results through regular mail or ups/fedx??

some people took occlusal shots of the teeth with multiple canals and it actually showed where the canals were...kinda cool

the only thing i could get for the molar would be the access points. since i couldnt find the canal to file or obturate i lose the 63% of the grade for that tooth. that is a big chunk of points to miss. my anterior looked really good and i feel i would get all the points for that.

regular mail, usps

Dude, you're probably screwed. You'll get 0 points for obturation and probably get 0 points for access as well. Sorry to hear that's how it went. I thought you were filling the M canal and just couldn't find the D. I didn't realize your were filling the D and could only find the M. Too bad you couldn't change your plan and at least fill the M! Keep your fingers crossed, stranger things have happened!

It reminds me of both of my posterior endos, each time I took it. I went deep into the tooth looking for the canals. I swore they weren't there, but found them after 30 minutes each time. I think part of the problem is we are scared to perf and ruin the outline form.

i am OK with having to retake the endo part. what really pisses me off is that by the time i get my results back i would miss the deadlines for the schools offering the wreb in june. that means i'd have to retake it in Aug in vegas and that also means i lose 2 months of potential salary.

at this point i am hoping i have only failed endo and less than 3 parts.

the WREB website indicates that the scores for temple and missouri have been sent on april 30th... i wonder if the scores will arrive on saturday or monday?

:(
Got the results today passed in everything except prostho got 66.70 please can someone give me some advise about how to study for this session?
My other scores were
In endo 4.5
In operative 3.91
In perio 96.85%
In PATP 4.25

Ahhh I am so mad that this exam isnt over yet! Please I need some advise!

hi, sorry your not done yet.
so by prosth do u mean both parts of csw? u failed both prosth and perio part of the csw? both secitons are 50 questions, and if u get a 65% in one and 85 in the other, then you pass the entire csw. is this correct? or do you have to have atleast 75 in both prosth and perio sections of the csw to pass csw?
I wonder how you got a 96.85% in perio. one piece of calculus remaining is a 95, and the smallest percent deduction is 5 %; there is no 3.15% deduction, according to the manual. graders take the median number and not the mean, i thought.

hi, sorry your not done yet.
so by prosth do u mean both parts of csw? u failed both prosth and perio part of the csw? both secitons are 50 questions, and if u get a 65% in one and 85 in the other, then you pass the entire csw. is this correct? or do you have to have atleast 75 in both prosth and perio sections of the csw to pass csw?
I wonder how you got a 96.85% in perio. one piece of calculus remaining is a 95, and the smallest percent deduction is 5 %; there is no 3.15% deduction, according to the manual. graders take the median number and not the mean, i thought.

Everything must be above 75

This YEAR 2009 exam

50 CSW PERIO + PERIO PATIENT PROCEDURE = 96.85 ( I GOT 100% on THE PATIENT CLINICAL PROC. and 93.70 ON THE MULTIPLE CHOICE)

I FAILED ONLY THE THE 50 CSW PROSTHO SECTION looking for some help or materials please reply!:thumbup:

This YEAR 2009 exam

50 CSW PERIO + PERIO PATIENT PROCEDURE = 96.85 ( I GOT 100% on THE PATIENT CLINICAL PROC. and 93.70 ON THE MULTIPLE CHOICE)

I FAILED ONLY THE THE 50 CSW PROSTHO SECTION looking for some help or materials please reply!:thumbup:

All I can think of is what's in the candidate guide. They state the exam comes from the following.

1) McCracken's Removable Partial Prosthetics 10th edition
2) Clinical Removable Partial Prosthetics 2nd edition
3) Removable Partial denture design 5th edition
4) The textbook of complete dentures 5th edition
5) The glossary of prosthodontic terms 7th edition
6) Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics 3rd edition
7) Osteointegration in Dentistry

I haven't read any of these books, and haven't received my scores yet. Everyone I know says don't worry about it, don't study for it, you'll do fine. But a buddy of mine read the first book and said it was great for the exam. I thought the exam was very difficult and used every second available. He said he had 20 minutes left over. That book was the same one that was used in our removable course work at dental school.

This YEAR 2009 exam

I have some material. pm me your email address.

it took 3 weeks to get my results. I'd been worried I may have failed endo. I passed.

I ordered a score breakdown. just curious.

This YEAR 2009 exam

so do you have to retake just the prosth section of the CSW only or the whole CSW? sorry i am confused on how the retakes work.

good luck on the retake bud.