-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Just checked OHSU's portal this morning and they are up to #41!! I also wonder what broke the downward trend of past years and why its moving so much faster but am super happy..... come on #45!!
It's at 42!
You guys think we'll still see some pretty good movement after Friday? I mean there has to be some people with low numbers on the list that who already had acceptances and didn't bother to mail in a response and will withdraw by default?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yayyyyy!!! 😀
Thanks, Lady!! I look forward to congratulating you next year, too!!
Congratulations everyone! So much good news lately! 🙂
In answer to this, I find it annoying that we are graded, but I don't feel like we're competitive at all. There is likely some competition among a few, but I think you'd always see that among the top few students, whether they are assigned grades or not. In general, it is a very cooperative class. We share study notes with each other and work together a lot.
The grading adds to my own personal stress, but I really don't see any competition or back stabbing.
Hope that helps!
Just got an acceptance email! Was ranked 17 on the alt list... I didn't even know that the list started moving.
Can any current students comment on the class diversity and on the 1st and 2nd year grading system? Does it make studying more stressful and foster a competitive atmosphere?
Thanks and good luck to you all on the alt list!
In answer to this, I find it annoying that we are graded, but I don't feel like we're competitive at all. There is likely some competition among a few, but I think you'd always see that among the top few students, whether they are assigned grades or not. In general, it is a very cooperative class. We share study notes with each other and work together a lot.
The grading adds to my own personal stress, but I really don't see any competition or back stabbing.
Hope that helps!
Do you not believe TheREAL61's explanation?😛
Somehow I missed the post by the user going by "TheREAL61." I was contacted by "TheREAL61" and I've edited my post... Obviously, this internet business is messy and who knows what to believe so I'd just rather not be involved in any of that drama... but good luck to all 🙂

I got accepted! I was number 46 on the waitlist! 😱
Hot diggity-dog! See you on facebook! (OHSU Med 2015)
(Congratulations! They must be impressed with your killer abs!)
Jut declined acceptance for WL spot 49. Congras to number 50 😉
So how long does OHSU give you to respond to the acceptance offer off the waitlist? Surprisingly my number is coming very close but I am trying to figure out what I am going to do.
😱
The portal says 51 now 😱
Jut declined acceptance for WL spot 49. Congras to number 50 😉
The portal says 51 now 😱
😱
The portal says 51 now 😱
Is your excitement for your other acceptance waining?
(duplicate)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is your excitement for your other acceptance waining?
Not really. I'm going to be really conflicted if they get to my number (and at this point I kinda think they will).
i am so over this whole process.
Not really. I'm going to be really conflicted if they get to my number (and at this point I kinda think they will).
i am so over this whole process.
I totally understand that! My reflux over the pins and needles of the months of waiting has been oppressive. At least, when they get there, it'll be in your hands what to do.
Not really. I'm going to be really conflicted if they get to my number (and at this point I kinda think they will).
i am so over this whole process.
Pick OHSU! We all know AZ is too hot!
wow the wait list is moving really quick - they will probably get pretty far into the list! I am pulling for a friend in the mid 50's, looks like he has a good shot. must've offered a lot of spots to out of staters
I suspect that dynasty12 has hit the nail on the head...
I've heard it from a reliable source (and also it's been discussed here on SDN... I think Chuck84 mentioned it as well) that OHSU is more willing to hand out acceptances to out of state applicants these days. But if they don't take those spots, that translates into a fast-moving waitlist.
I suspect that dynasty12 has hit the nail on the head...
I've heard it from a reliable source (and also it's been discussed here on SDN... I think Chuck84 mentioned it as well) that OHSU is more willing to hand out acceptances to out of state applicants these days. But if they don't take those spots, that translates into a fast-moving waitlist.
which I am glad of, since I am an out of stater...haha. Pulling for everyone though, and super excited to be at OHSU next year!
So happy that your number finally came up! 😀I got accepted! I was number 46 on the waitlist! 😱
I got accepted! I was number 46 on the waitlist! 😱
Hey congrats Gara!!! I bet it feels even better since you started out so pessimistic to be surprised with this win.
Good luck to everyone else still waiting, there is definitely still hope!
I got accepted! I was number 46 on the waitlist! 😱
Congrats, Gara! (I remember you from the UIC thread 😉.)
So happy that your number finally came up! 😀
Thanks! and good luck with your next round. Maybe I'll see you next year or maybe you'll end up somewhere sunny? 🙂
Hey congrats Gara!!! I bet it feels even better since you started out so pessimistic to be surprised with this win.
Good luck to everyone else still waiting, there is definitely still hope!
Hah expecting the worst has down well for me during the undergrad (not necessarily for my health though).
Thanks for the luck too. I mean... do you need it back right away? 😉
See you in August!
Congrats, Gara! (I remember you from the UIC thread 😉.)
Hah so glad I don't have to worry about that school anymore(and it's ~100K/year expenses). I just read on your MDapp that you're pretty sure you're going to get in there (if they ever make up their freaking minds) Either way congrats on your acceptances!
Anyone know where they're at on the waitlist?
Portal still says 51. I bet some of the students who received offers earlier this week will need a few days to decide. How long did they give you to respond?
Portal still says 51. I bet some of the students who received offers earlier this week will need a few days to decide. How long did they give you to respond?
It didn't actually give me any sort of time line. It only sort of alluded to forms which will be sent in the mail in the next few weeks. Other than that they only said nothing further is required on my part.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It didn't actually give me any sort of time line. It only sort of alluded to forms which will be sent in the mail in the next few weeks. Other than that they only said nothing further is required on my part.
That's what I got too. They said it would take about 4 weeks for me to get the papers. Why that much time is required is beyond me....
List is to 53 now. Please, one more person withdraw, I'm 54!
Nooooo! I don't like sunshine. I'll be hoping for somewhere rainy or foggy! 😍Thanks! and good luck with your next round. Maybe I'll see you next year or maybe you'll end up somewhere sunny? 🙂
That's what I got too. They said it would take about 4 weeks for me to get the papers. Why that much time is required is beyond me....
took me over 5 weeks to get the papers. once you get the contract, you have two weeks to respond.
Nooooo! I don't like sunshine. I'll be hoping for somewhere rainy or foggy! 😍
👍👍👍I had sunny and opted for rain!
We are a family of Fitzpatrick skin Type 1's!😛👍👍👍I had sunny and opted for rain!We are a family of Fitzpatrick skin Type 1's!😛
I had sun and 120 degree heat and I gave it up for Oregon but now I want it back because I refuse to wear a rain coat... I do enjoy fog though...
Accepted this morning! #60
Accepted this morning! #60
Cool! Are you taking it over AZ?
Accepted this morning! #60
Congrats!!
Anyone know how long the waitlist is?
Cool! Are you taking it over AZ?
Congrats!!
Thanks guys 😀 Looks like I'll be seeing you in August!
How do we schedule and exit interview?
Call Mae Culbertson at 503-494-9904 and leave a voicemail.How do we schedule and exit interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! #69
Many things actually... both in employment and in the school application.
First of all .. I have a Master's degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I have been applying to research positions at OHSU for MANY months, close to a year. So now I am volunteering in a lab where two (white) girls are employed who say the knew NOTHING about DNA when they first started working. So ... yeh, that hit a nerve. That's of course is not the only incident, I see many UNDER-qualified people being hired left and right.
My interviewer came 20 minutes late ! He was very unapologetic.
My second interviewer, after phishing to know my religious background (which is Muslim btw), spent about 15 minutes discussing whether I would be embarrassed working with male patients. I said no, I worked with male patients a lot, some where *exposed. She insisted on asking whether I'm okay with them getting erections. I blushed, I'm a virgin, and even if they do get an erection, I'm professional, I'll do what I need to do and leave.
Umm... what else...
or right...
discrimination against appearance. Almost all of the students who got accepted the previous years were thin or normal weight, some could be mistaken for models. I am visibly chubby.
So yeh... Race, Religion, Appearance.
If I don't get in, so be it. I am 100% sure I'll make it into a better school next year. But I am not going down with out a fight. I saw matriculation pics from the past years, and I can tell you that there isn't as much diversity, and when they do choose a minority, they pick asian (which is also light skinned ... and thin).
So yeh... Master's Degree in Biochemistry, ample research experience, 2 years volunteering in clinics, hospitals and shadowing ... and now I am 61 on the list and can't land a research job at OHSU.
What pisses me off the most is how a girl I knew last year got accepted with a 3.45 (undergraduate) GPA from Portland State (not exactly a difficult school, my GPA was 3.74).
-Excuse my spelling mistakes... I am at wit's ends right now.
Oh... and did I mention that I know 4 languages (Arabic, English, French and Spanish).
Very well traveled ... actually lived in and shadowed doctors in a foreign country (Egypt).
So yeh... I'm pretty bad-ass... I don't see a good explanation for landing as #61.
Hello angry person- you got in and now you need not complain any longer, time to put those over-developed credentials you have told us so much about to work in med school! Nice!
Hello angry person- you got in and now you need not complain any longer, time to put those over-developed credentials you have told us so much about to work in med school! Nice!
She actually made it clear that this was in fact someone else using her account.
She actually made it clear that this was in fact someone else using her account.
Must... resist... making... Rep. Weiner joke!

- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K
- Replies
- 730
- Views
- 223K
- Replies
- 444
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 664
- Views
- 172K
