2010-2011 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome! really helped out oasis!

Members don't see this ad.

hey all. this is a little off topic from what y'all have been talking about recently, but I just had a question that I'm hoping someone can give me an opinion on.
I applied to Rush early on in the cycle, with my primary being complete in around july/august. Since then, I've retaken my MCAT in august (scores released in september) and I guess either i just didnt want to waste any more money, or didn't think I would get a good enough score to bother sending in the secondary for Rush. I did finish my instate applications to OSU-COM (osteopathic) and OU (allopathic) since the fees were generally pretty low and they were just so close to home (and cheaper). But since then, I've been continually getting emails from the recruiter from Rush saying that my primary is an outstanding application and that they look forward to receiving my secondary. I just got another one today saying that the deadline of De. 31st is approaching, and they would really like to see my outstanding secondary (lol). Do I really have a chance here applying this late, or is this a common email that they send out to everyone whose files arent complete around this time? thanks!

did anyone else get a post-interview call from rush? i was in my lab and couldnt get to my phone, but they didnt leave a message or anything. i kind of hate that they dont have a number you can call to directly reach the medical school. ahhhhh why did they caaallllll??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully today, my 6-7 wk wait post interview, ends
icon4.png

hey all. this is a little off topic from what y'all have been talking about recently, but I just had a question that I'm hoping someone can give me an opinion on.
I applied to Rush early on in the cycle, with my primary being complete in around july/august. Since then, I've retaken my MCAT in august (scores released in september) and I guess either i just didnt want to waste any more money, or didn't think I would get a good enough score to bother sending in the secondary for Rush. I did finish my instate applications to OSU-COM (osteopathic) and OU (allopathic) since the fees were generally pretty low and they were just so close to home (and cheaper). But since then, I've been continually getting emails from the recruiter from Rush saying that my primary is an outstanding application and that they look forward to receiving my secondary. I just got another one today saying that the deadline of De. 31st is approaching, and they would really like to see my outstanding secondary (lol). Do I really have a chance here applying this late, or is this a common email that they send out to everyone whose files arent complete around this time? thanks!

What have you got to lose besides an hour filling the secondary out and seventy bucks? Not sure about your chances, but call admissions and speak to Jill, Im sure she would be happy to help.

Interviewed at Rush this week. Great experience overall--from my student hosts and the other interviewees (speaks volumes to the type of students they're looking for) to the hospital and of course, Jill. Rush quickly won me over with its subtleties inlcluding, titling their interview day as "recruitment day." Also, their current hospital bulding is in the shape of an "H" and their new hospital has a unique rounded triangular shape to ensure that every single patient room has a window for direct sunlight--call me mushy, but I think its thoughtful and shows their focus on excellent patient care. Lastly, I love Chicago!

Now the wait begins...

Anybody know what day/time/how often Rush sends out decisions??

6.5 weeks post interview and DYING...:eek:

Anybody know what day/time/how often Rush sends out decisions??

6.5 weeks post interview and DYING...:eek:

yeesh 6.5 weeks?? It's only been like 4 days since I interviewed and i'm already becoming antsy :D

Members don't see this ad :)
yessir...hope they find a way to send our decisions out before the holiday break!

That would be nice, but i highly doubt it. I remember Jill saying at least 3 weeks on interview day, which btw, I was there too on the 8th :)

That would be nice, but i highly doubt it. I remember Jill saying at least 3 weeks on interview day, which btw, I was there too on the 8th :)

Yes! I was planning on meeting you but realized that I didn't know your name and didn't want to identify you by announcing your SDN username (hahahaha).

oh my gosh! i love your picture! outsourced AND gupta are my favorite!

oh my gosh! i love your picture! outsourced AND gupta are my favorite!

Thanks, I think he and the show are hilarious. I also really like Madhuri and think they should date lol.

What a great school and fast turn around ! :D

Interviewed on Dec. 1st
Complete late August

What a great school and fast turn around ! :D

Interviewed on Dec. 1st
Complete late August

Got my first two acceptances today. Thank you Rush for making this an awesome xmas!!

Interview 12/1 also...didn't they say at least 6 weeks to get a response?!?

They said 4-6 weeks...it took 7...BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT!! ACCEPTED :)

congratulations everyone!!! facebook group anyone?!?

Man...this makes me think I should've interviewed on Dec. 1st instead of a week later lol. Here's to hoping us Dec. 8th's hear next week :xf::xf:

Man...this makes me think I should've interviewed on Dec. 1st instead of a week later lol. Here's to hoping us Dec. 8th's hear next week :xf::xf:

this was the exact thought that crossed my mind when i saw these dec 1st postings :laugh:

looking back on last year's thread, they'll announce our decisions on the Tuesday after New Years - which happens to be my birthday :D

Questions for any M1's on the forum:

1. During the interview, they mentioned that they just transitioned into a systems based curriculum. But I can't remember whether it was block scheduling (there's only 1 exam at the end of each block) or if you will have exams every week. One of my family friends told me that she really liked her experience with block scheduling. Do you think it makes a difference?

2. Not clear on the insurance situation..I had the impression that all students need to get student insurance. So my parent's insurance wouldn't allow me to waive the insurance fee? Also, is the insurance part of the tuition or is it extra?

Got an interview invitation today! Happy New Year to me :)

1. During the interview, they mentioned that they just transitioned into a systems based curriculum. But I can't remember whether it was block scheduling (there's only 1 exam at the end of each block) or if you will have exams every week. One of my family friends told me that she really liked her experience with block scheduling. Do you think it makes a difference?

2. Not clear on the insurance situation..I had the impression that all students need to get student insurance. So my parent's insurance wouldn't allow me to waive the insurance fee? Also, is the insurance part of the tuition or is it extra?

love your avatar :D

Thanks! I was complete in mid-September. I got an email. The status on the Rush supp application page didn't change, but I did have a button to click on that showed me a calendar to reserve my interview date.

I am an M2 but it is block scheduling with one exam at the end of 4 weeks with some quizzes worth a small amount. Insurance is part of the tuition and you must get it but it covers a lot. If you need to see the doc you only ever have to pay a small co-pay i think its $10?

accepted 12/29/10!!!!!! super excited! interviewed on 12/8/10

That was oddly quick. Per last year's thread they didn't send out decisions until after the new year, probably because the school's on vacation. well, congrats. hopefully they'll send out some more this week :xf:

By the way, for those accepted from 12/8 so far, were you morning or afternoon interviewees?

Last edited:
Also accepted on 12/29 from the 12/8 interview group! :)
I remember some interviewers having 2-3 interviewees so maybe that makes a difference in how quickly they turn reports around? I don't think my interviewers had any other interviewees that day.
Good luck to those of you waiting!

Also accepted on 12/29 from the 12/8 interview group! :)
I remember some interviewers having 2-3 interviewees so maybe that makes a difference in how quickly they turn reports around? I don't think my interviewers had any other interviewees that day.
Good luck to those of you waiting!

Congrats to both of you! I hope I get some news soon... (also interviewed 12/8)

this was the exact thought that crossed my mind when i saw these dec 1st postings :laugh:

looking back on last year's thread, they'll announce our decisions on the Tuesday after New Years - which happens to be my birthday :D

zoinks

So I went down to Rush and turned my deposit in. When I was there I couldnt help but remember about a year ago when i applied to be a CNA at the hospital and failed there test in my interview. The test was stupid and it asked questions about how to comb wet hair and other patient care stuff.
Cant help but laugh now that I am accepted to their school! :laugh:

Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

anybody know how late they interview? any recent interview invites? I haven't heard anything, complete in late august.

anybody know how late they interview? any recent interview invites? I haven't heard anything, complete in late august.

I believe they interview into March. Fwiw, when I was there Jill told us that they plan on interviewing about 360 applicants, but how many they have interviewed so far says practically nothing about how many invites they've extended. However, don't loose hope. They're still handing them out, a friend of mine got one in April for a March interview last cycle.

I haven't received any information about my admission since I got my decision on 12/22. All I got was a piece of mail and email saying that they will send me more info in 2 days. And Rush replied to my emails. I just hope there are no time-sensitive documents that need to be sent back, except for the deposit, which I mailed last week. Is anyone else experiencing this??

I haven't received any information about my admission since I got my decision on 12/22. All I got was a piece of mail and email saying that they will send me more info in 2 days. And Rush replied to my emails. I just hope there are no time-sensitive documents that need to be sent back, except for the deposit, which I mailed last week. Is anyone else experiencing this??

I received confirmation of my deposit and then a letter in the mail with some student online login information that leads to a website with empty links. So pretty much nothing exciting.

Today they told us they interview for another 3 months, so until March? She also said they are interviewing 375 and will accept ~220.

It was an AMAZING interview day, and a really nice environment.

Today they told us they interview for another 3 months, so until March? She also said they are interviewing 375 and will accept ~220.

It was an AMAZING interview day, and a really nice environment.

ejw, would you mind sharing the types of ECs you have? Based on Rush's secondary it seems that they really value healthcare volunteer/work experience. I would love an interview but I'm not sure if I am standing out to them in the right way. Thanks!

ejw, would you mind sharing the types of ECs you have? Based on Rush's secondary it seems that they really value healthcare volunteer/work experience. I would love an interview but I'm not sure if I am standing out to them in the right way. Thanks!

Healthcare volunteer- Mental Health Facility 100hrs
Healthcare work- Pharmacy 14+ months

Not sure if that helps, I don't have any super stand-out EC's.
Jill told us they have a very holistic approach to offering interviews and look for those who are genuinely interested. So, maybe try a update/interest letter??

good luck!

Healthcare volunteer- Mental Health Facility 100hrs
Healthcare work- Pharmacy 14+ months

Not sure if that helps, I don't have any super stand-out EC's.
Jill told us they have a very holistic approach to offering interviews and look for those who are genuinely interested. So, maybe try a update/interest letter??

good luck!

They don't accept update/interest letters until all offers have been made. Then those on the waitlist are allowed to send them but only when requested. At least that's how it worked last year.

BTW, did Rush send out any acceptances/decisions today? I thought they did every wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.