* * 2010 - 2011 * * Secondary Applications Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply everyone.

True that. Is it okay to submit secondaries and my committee LOR without my DO LOR? I know they won't process it until they actually get my DO LOR, but is it risky to send them in separately? I'm worried they may lose some of my files! haha. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

But anyway, I'll take your advice and submit them ASAP. At least I won't have to worry about it afterwards!! lol.

Thanks guys.

I agree, you need to get submitted as soon as you can and submit the DO letter when you get it. Do you have an MD letter? That will work for some schools as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question has been answered somewhere, but I could not find it. How much did you guys write for each question on the Western secondary? Thanks.

I know this question has been answered somewhere, but I could not find it. How much did you guys write for each question on the Western secondary? Thanks.

Roughly 3/4 of a page single spaced.

I'm back! Cancun was awesome. Gotta prep for interview on Friday and catch up on where all you guys have gotten your interviews! lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm back! Cancun was awesome. Gotta prep for interview on Friday and catch up on where all you guys have gotten your interviews! lol

welcome back to constantly checking email, mail boxes, and these forums :D

welcome back to constantly checking email, mail boxes, and these forums :D

No joke, man. I'm swearing off SDN for a bit, because it just makes it worse...

Welcome back, DbDan! Glad your trip was a good time!

Glad to hear you had fun dude. Good luck on your interview :)

Welcome back, how was cancun? I'm planning on going next spring break, either there or cabo.

Share some pics of the beaches Dan, so we can live vicariously through you haha

Share some pics of the beaches Dan, so we can live vicariously through you haha

;)
ae185h.jpg

:wow: that looks amaaazzzing. its like one of those photos you would see on a postcard or something. that is def a great way to get your mind off the application process!

This is more postcard-esque. I forgot to mention I went and toured Chitzen Itza, on of the new 7 wonders of the world

5esvi9.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
;)
http://i37.tinypic.com/ae185h.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="DbDan, post: 10081495"]This is more postcard-esque. I forgot to mention I went and toured Chitzen Itza, on of the new 7 wonders of the world

[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/5esvi9.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]

:eek:

That looks soooooooo nice

wow, and you had only been there..for..5 days? lol..I didn't know boys like to take pictures too..haha :smuggrin:

:laugh: I went with my GF. It was her camera. I took the pictures I posted (I like to take pictures of places and things and less of people) but she took way more than I did.

:laugh: I went with my GF. It was her camera. I took the pictures I posted (I like to take pictures of places and things and less of people) but she took way more than I did.

No wonder..and HOW CUTE! :p

I went to Miami with my family last year (stayed there for about 7 days). My camera had 200 pictures or so, and my mum's camera (including memory cards) had more than 800 pictures!!!! :eek:

I wanna go to Cancun toooooooooo! Hopefully I will be available during spring break or next summer, so I can visit Cancun before going to med school (if I can get in, lol) :D

This is more postcard-esque. I forgot to mention I went and toured Chitzen Itza, on of the new 7 wonders of the world

5esvi9.jpg

i always heard about that place but never had the chance to visit it. thats the place where you can see the serpent on the side of the temple right?

i definitley need a vacation

Thats the place. Its only on the solstice or whatever at a certain time. Pretty crazy. They had something like 30,000 people there to see it last year.

Thats the place. Its only on the solstice or whatever at a certain time. Pretty crazy. They had something like 30,000 people there to see it last year.

According to their calendar none of us will graduate medical school, because we'll be wiped out by one of their serpent gods on 12/22/12...

Did you go inside the temple?

According to their calendar none of us will graduate medical school, because we'll be wiped out by one of their serpent gods on 12/22/12...

Did you go inside the temple?

I wish! They don't let anyone inside the temple anymore because a few years ago they came back to continue restoration and excavation and found all kinds of graffiti and crap inside. ****ty. Everything is fenced off now.

Got the same email and checked my status..wahaha, I don't even have a status box..:rolleyes:

I wish! They don't let anyone inside the temple anymore because a few years ago they came back to continue restoration and excavation and found all kinds of graffiti and crap inside. ****ty. Everything is fenced off now.

That's a bummer, man. It would have been cool to see it.

That damn nova email tricked me good.

Yeah, that got me too...

Banana Republic has a 30% off in-store coupon that's good until Sunday for those of you that need interview clothing. They also donate 5% of your purchase to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so multiple people benefit from this :)

Check slickdeals for the coupon

Hey guys I have a question about the NSU secondary. For "list all health care related activities".... did you list with or without a description of the activity? I tried to describe shortly each of my activities but i ran out of room. Was there a format you used for each activity? Im quite lost so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

That damn nova email tricked me good.

:laugh: me too. i got excited for a second

Got the same email and checked my status..wahaha, I don't even have a status box..:rolleyes:

i only have a status box for TOEFL and visa but not the one everyone else seems to have

Banana Republic has a 30% off in-store coupon that's good until Sunday for those of you that need interview clothing. They also donate 5% of your purchase to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so multiple people benefit from this :)

:thumbup: used it yesterday to get a decent shirt and tie. really great deal. they also have some coupons for 40% off deals sept 1, 8, and 15th

Hey guys I have a question about the NSU secondary. For "list all health care related activities".... did you list with or without a description of the activity? I tried to describe shortly each of my activities but i ran out of room. Was there a format you used for each activity? Im quite lost so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

i forget, but i think i just listed'm

The man, as usual. I'm going today..

I didn't think this question deserved its own thread so figured I'd ask here...

So I do research that I'm not allowed to give away any specific details on. Basically all I can say is that I work on a cancer drug (that actually works!!) and call it by its code-name. I'm not allowed to say processes I do or chemical structures/names or anything like that. So when questions come up about my research in an interview setting, are my interviewers going to be completely unamused at the "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you" treatment? Or is this a common thing and they know not to ask people too detailed of questions? My AACOMAS description is vague as well, so I don't know if they'd naturally have more questions about it, but it seems like they would..

That's sooooo cool! I was at Cancun about a month and a half ago, and 1 of the hotels I stayed at was Le Meridien too! Haha that's funny. I also went to Chichen Itza. I know it's all fenced off, but me and my friends were able to sneak up one of the smaller pyramids when no one was watching. The Yucatan Peninsula also has awesome cenotes. I wish I were cave diving certified. That woulda been craaaazy.

Last edited:
And Im back! :) That was a long two days without SDN!!!

So I got home just now after my trip to Florida for the LECOM interview... Yes, I know its really late... Fun times though! Me and PeachyPhD almost missed our flight due to some unforseen traffic! It was crazy!

When I finally got to check my email, I found another Texas interview in my in box!!! So excited! Texas Tech El Paso this time... So interviews at both Techs... Eeek! But when I put it on my calander I realized that getting off work is going to be tricky to say the least... Ugh. Wish it was easier to schedule these interviews. It sucks when they all have designated days... I have 3 interviews in September, possibly four if I can get one of them to move the date around for me since I will be in town for another interview. Stressed.

FML, ucla LOR service website is down! WTF!!! that damn career center just keeps reminding me of the biggest mistake I've ever made by not using Interfolio!

So I got home just now after my trip to Florida for the LECOM interview... Yes, I know its really late... Fun times though! Me and PeachyPhD almost missed our flight due to some unforseen traffic! It was crazy!

When I finally got to check my email, I found another Texas interview in my in box!!! So excited! Texas Tech El Paso this time... So interviews at both Techs... Eeek! But when I put it on my calander I realized that getting off work is going to be tricky to say the least... Ugh. Wish it was easier to schedule these interviews. It sucks when they all have designated days... I have 3 interviews in September, possibly four if I can get one of them to move the date around for me since I will be in town for another interview. Stressed.

WHOO!! Congrats on your El Paso interview! Things are looking great for you this cycle! :)

I hope the LECOM Bradenton went well! I'm hoping to get an interview invite there soon, the campus architecture looks AMAZING from the online pictures I've seen!! :wow:

I got notification saying they are looking over my application right now. How long was it between the time they notified you they were looking over your app and the time you got an interview invite??

Congrats again!

welcome back! hope the interview went well for everybody. and congrats on ur invite!! don't feel stressed, a lotta people would love to be in that situation :)

@ Bigboosting: i honestly don't know what to do about that situation. im sure if they're familiar with the business, then they'd understand.

WHOO!! Congrats on your El Paso interview! Things are looking great for you this cycle! :)

I hope the LECOM Bradenton went well! I'm hoping to get an interview invite there soon, the campus architecture looks AMAZING from the online pictures I've seen!! :wow:

I got notification saying they are looking over my application right now. How long was it between the time they notified you they were looking over your app and the time you got an interview invite??

Congrats again!

Thanks!!! I'm sure you will be getting an interview soon now that they are looking at your application! And they do acceptances so quick... Haha. They told us that we would know by Wednesday! About a 5 day turn around. Wow.

My primary application was sent out on 6/6/10, my secondary was done on 6/18/10 right after they sent me the invite... And I got my interview invite on 6/29/10. The campus is AWESOME! But there were some weird things about the school that I didn't like... Still, the students were so happy to be there, and everyone was so nice. Their curriculum is very hard core in my opinion. I liked their PBL program, but it was VERY different than I thought from reading their curriculum on their website.

welcome back! hope the interview went well for everybody. and congrats on ur invite!! don't feel stressed, a lotta people would love to be in that situation :)

Thanks Traitorman! The interview went very well! for all of us The interview feedback is right on... :) I don't want to be stressed because this should be a great thing! But thinking about being in this situation and actually being in this situation is way different. Haha. I have so many plane tickets that I have yet to buy because I am unsure of what is going to happen after each interview. I just hate the unknown...

But there were some weird things about the school that I didn't like... Still, the students were so happy to be there, and everyone was so nice. Their curriculum is very hard core in my opinion. I liked their PBL program, but it was VERY different than I thought from reading their curriculum on their website.

Hmm... hard core in what way?

Hmm... hard core in what way?

Well... There are really no classes. None except a few short courses and an anatomy class. So... You have to learn on your own pretty much 100%. But that is not the thing that I didn't like actually, I could do that. The part that got me was how you have to bring all of your books pretty much every day, over 10 huge books, and you study random chapters every week in just about no order. I felt that my need for structured learning, and organization, would not lend itself to this type of studying. I mean, you just read random chapters in all of your 10 textbooks each week... I like to write out my notes and learn in a way that is so structured that I can remember everything, and understand everything logically.

But saying all of this... Their board scores are 100% passing, so their method speaks for itself! It's all personal preference and how much you know about how you study that determines how well you will do with this type of program. I read about PBL before going, and I understood it. The thing I didnt think about was that they meant they do PBL only. They don't do classes and PBL...

LECOM-B's curriculum really isn't for everyone. Its definitely very different from most other campuses. Now its just a waiting game though. The first acceptance will take such a huge weight off.

My body was not meant for these stresses apparently. I woke up today sick. So much for Western's preview day and buddy's wedding. Ugh

LECOM-B's curriculum really isn't for everyone. Its definitely very different from most other campuses. Now its just a waiting game though. The first acceptance will take such a huge weight off.

My body was not meant for these stresses apparently. I woke up today sick. So much for Western's preview day and buddy's wedding. Ugh

Aww, you are not going to either!? That sucks!!! I hope none of us made you sick!

FML, ucla LOR service website is down! WTF!!! that damn career center just keeps reminding me of the biggest mistake I've ever made by not using Interfolio!

haha, everyone is complaining about it. Luckily I got a friend who warned me early enough not to use their ridiculous service..lol..

Aww, you are not going to either!? That sucks!!! I hope none of us made you sick!

No its probably a combination of lack of sleep, stress, food in mexico and depression lol

I feel like crap and woke up drenched in sweat this morning, no bueno. Hardest part was having to tell my buddy I wasn't going to make his wedding.

Just got a haircut. Most nervous I've ever been getting a haircut knowing it was gonna be my interview cut :p