* * 2010 - 2011 * * Secondary Applications Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No its probably a combination of lack of sleep, stress, food in mexico and depression lol

I feel like crap and woke up drenched in sweat this morning, no bueno. Hardest part was having to tell my buddy I wasn't going to make his wedding.

feel better man. thats the worse, to have to miss out on a wedding. weddings are always good times especially when theres an open bar.

Just got a haircut. Most nervous I've ever been getting a haircut knowing it was gonna be my interview cut :p

haha i kno wut u mean. my usual cutter was out of town and i had to rush to find someone else. my cut is short and pretty straightforward but i wasnt the most confident when i had it cut

Thanks Traitorman! The interview went very well! for all of us The interview feedback is right on... :) I don't want to be stressed because this should be a great thing! But thinking about being in this situation and actually being in this situation is way different. Haha. I have so many plane tickets that I have yet to buy because I am unsure of what is going to happen after each interview. I just hate the unknown...

i feel u, i too panicked and even made a seperate thread about it haha. but im sure everythings gonna work out

Members don't see this ad.

No its probably a combination of lack of sleep, stress, food in mexico and depression lol

I feel like crap and woke up drenched in sweat this morning, no bueno. Hardest part was having to tell my buddy I wasn't going to make his wedding.

Don't be depressed! :( That is so sad... This needs to be a happy time for you. I was thinking to my self that you were holding up better than I thought in FL, considering.

HEY! I have some good news for those of us that have had LECOM interviews and are going to have AZCOM interviews in Sept... :) I dug around a few old threads from last year and found that people that had mid and late September interviews received their acceptances on Oct 1st. That would be just in time for our deposit for LECOM... Cutting it close, but just in time! :)

Check these MDapps out...

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=15775

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=17930

One of these people had an interview on the first day of interviews on Sept 18, which this year it is Sept 17th.

The other had an interview on the second week of interviews on Sept 25th.

They both got acceptances on 10/1!!! This makes me at least feel like there is a little hope to not have to pay a big deposit..... Hopefully they stay true to this timeline...

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY! I have some good news for those of us that have had LECOM interviews and are going to have AZCOM interviews in Sept... :) I dug around a few old threads from last year and found that people that had mid and late September interviews received their acceptances on Oct 1st. That would be just in time for our deposit for LECOM... Cutting it close, but just in time! :)

One of these people had an interview on the first day of interviews on Sept 18, which this year it is Sept 17th.

They both got acceptances on 10/1!!! This makes me at least feel like there is a little hope to not have to pay a big deposit..... Hopefully they stay true to this timeline...

:thumbup: I did the same thing when I got both interviews haha thats why I kept throwing that Oct 1st date out at dinner the other night. Hopefully its the same!! 3 more days until we can get the results.

I have gotten pretty good at putting up a front around other people and seeming happy. Much harder when you are sitting around at home alone lol

For those using UCLA LOR service, just submit your letter to Interfolio as a "School without Code" and with Special Handling. Turn in the Interfolio Document Request form to UCLA Career Center.

Interfolio is win: same-day electronic delivery (compared to 12 day processing time for UCLA).

Anyone else awkwardly anxious about tomorrow and interview invites that will inevitably come to other people on the forum. Granted I'm hoping that I get one as well but I'm expecting to actually hear about people (other than sedaniel, who is going to get an invite at every DO school) getting invites to NSU. Likely some more from Touro-Ca, NV should start soon, Western and PCOM should start soon. Exciting times lol

:thumbup: I did the same thing when I got both interviews haha thats why I kept throwing that Oct 1st date out at dinner the other night. Hopefully its the same!! 3 more days until we can get the results.

I have gotten pretty good at putting up a front around other people and seeming happy. Much harder when you are sitting around at home alone lol

Are there any particular reasons why you guys would choose AZCOM over LECOM? LECOM sounds like a good school to me, and it's definitely one of my top choices..Is there any cons about this school that I'm not aware of? well, just because of the $1500 deposit? Keep in mind that LECOM has super low tuitions..

Are there any particular reasons why you guys would choose AZCOM over LECOM? LECOM sounds like a good school to me, and it's definitely one of my top choices..Is there any cons about this school that I'm not aware of? well, just because of the $1500 deposit? Keep in mind that LECOM has super low tuitions..

Obviously LECOM's tuition makes it incredibly appealing. Each school has its pros and cons. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely go to LECOM but for me AZCOM definitely has some advantages.

AZCOM
Pros: Distance from home, CA rotations, Actual campus, Traditional cirriculum
Cons: Cost (probably others I can't come up with off the top of my head)

LECOM:
Pros: Freedom of learning, Amazing board scores, tution and cost of living are super low, great location
Cons: I could get distracted in PBL, single building campus, across the country from my family (including 5 year old brother)

Obviously LECOM's tuition makes it incredibly appealing. Each school has its pros and cons. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely go to LECOM but for me AZCOM definitely has some advantages.

AZCOM
Pros: Distance from home, CA rotations, Actual campus, Traditional cirriculum
Cons: Cost (probably others I can't come up with off the top of my head)

LECOM:
Pros: Freedom of learning, Amazing board scores, tution and cost of living are super low, great location
Cons: I could get distracted in PBL, single building campus, across the country from my family (including 5 year old brother)

I do agree with you about the location thing. I want to stay close to my family as well, but the COA really holds me back. I have been thinking a lot about which school I would go if I get multiple acceptances. It turns out that I might still choose Western at the end (haha, if I can get in of course). After my friend's sudden death, I don't want to have any regrets anymore. My family and friends are the most important things to me at this moment.

Haha, are you going to babysit your brother after you get into med school? I would love to if I have a 5 year old brother, lol..As the only child in my family, I never got a chance to babysit any kids. Growing up alone (without siblings) sucks :(

Yes, it's true that LECOM's tuition is really low… But you have to think, what are you really paying for? There are no classes per se, you really teach yourself the material, and this means that they have less faculty then they would if they had the usual courses taught in most med schools. Thereby keeping the tuition low… There were many pros of LECOM however, so to keep with DbDans theme, here are my opinions…

AZCOM
Pros:
--Actual campus, I will have to agree with this… I feel that I have worked very hard to get where I am, and when I walk onto my medical schools campus I want to take a deep breath and feel like I have finally made it. I want to feel that I am on a medical school campus basically. I think that AZCOM will allow me to feel the energy of a medical school that does research and has more than just a medical school on campus.
--Traditional curriculum, I look forward to taking real courses, also, I feel that my learning style fits well with a super structured environment.
--Very established school, it's been around for a while, many people that I know have gone here or go here now and I know it will be a great learning environment for me.
--very close to a big city, Phoenix

Cons:
--Cost, almost twice as much as LECOM
--Far from my family in Texas

LECOM:
Pros:
--Tuition, next to Texas, this is cheap cheap cheap!
--Everyone on campus was AMAZING. They were all so nice and really had pride in their school. The students seem to enjoy it there. The faculty really wants you to learn and they have a full open door policy for the students.
--Beach! Enough said…
--beautiful campus, serene and peaceful next to the lake.
--Bradenton is quiet and safe. The school is in the middle of a bunch of neighborhoods and has a family vibe.
--I have family in Sarasota

Cons:
--PBL as the sole source of learning, going into this interview, I thought they did PBL plus the main courses… I am good at learning things in a specific order, and then retaining this information forever. I always say, if it's organized in my mind, then I will always succeed. I feel that only doing case studies for two years and throwing in a few elective courses will not provide me an environment where I can do some serious learning… Though, if given the opportunity I would be able to do it, not sure if I would actually enjoy it…
--Building, when I walked onto the LECOM campus, I could tell that it is beautiful, but its just one building and kind of reminded me of community college in the way it was set up. As I said above, I want to feel that I am in med school every day I step foot on campus.
--RULES! Dress code, no food or drink on campus (not even bottled water!). I am freaking going to be 29 years old when I enter med school… I do not want to be told what to wear or when and where I can eat or drink… I feel that a professional school should not impose so many rules… We are not in high school…
--Library is only open until 11pm
--No patient contact experiences in the first two years. This is a big one for me, in fact, I feel like it is the biggest factor in my decision to pick another school over LECOM. They do simulated patients, but not real patients. There are no opportunities for shadowing, and one of the med students told me that she wants to go seek out physicians to shadow, but she is just too busy studying 10-15 hours a day because of PBL.
--Community outreach, when I asked a med student what type of community outreach they did, she said basically nothing as a whole… They do some with the different clubs however.
--New school, not as established, feels kind of sterile.

But you should remember, my con could be your pro in the overall outlook of the school. These are based on my opinions only… I would go to LECOM if I had to, and I might actually like it when I actually set roots there and start school, but my heart would be elsewhere… Also, I did not apply to LECOM in the past because it was not a school I could see myself at, and I was hoping that after getting on campus I would feel way differently. However, I felt the same when I left…

This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but you all realize that there is a dress code 3rd and 4th year at every school, right?

I do agree with you about the location thing. I want to stay close to my family as well, but the COA really holds me back. I have been thinking a lot about which school I would go if I get multiple acceptances. It turns out that I might still choose Western at the end (haha, if I can get in of course). After my friend's sudden death, I don't want to have any regrets anymore. My family and friends are the most important things to me at this moment.

Haha, are you going to babysit your brother after you get into med school? I would love to if I have a 5 year old brother, lol..As the only child in my family, I never got a chance to babysit any kids. Growing up alone (without siblings) sucks :(

Honestly, COA of Western vs. AZCOM vs. Touro-Ca are all about the same (unfortunately). I agree that I would love to go to western and yes, the COA of LECOM being 20k less is a total of 80k over your four years but you are also paying for the structure and security of true courses, etc. Its all about comfort at each of the schools and clinical opportunities for me. Basically, I'm going to try to find the school that fits me correctly. Honestly, I could go to AZCOM's interview and not like it and wind up going to LECOM. Who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but you all realize that there is a dress code 3rd and 4th year at every school, right?

Of course, while it doesn't bother me, the difference at LECOM is if you even want to go on campus just to study you have to dress w/ shirt and tie. For your 2 hours of PBL, shirt and tie. There is no jumping out of bed, throwing on sweats and heading to campus for a couple hours to study at LECOM.

The food/drink thing is more frustrating to me. Not even water allowed anywhere but the cafeteria. If I do go there I won't be studying on campus, thats for damn sure. I can't drink a gallon of water or more per day if I can't drink while I'm studying.

Yeah the water thing isn't that great, and the dress code for studying also isn't that great. I see your point.

I totally realize that :) For me, I can only study in the library... I have never been able to have the type of environment at home or anywhere else where I can study effectively. It’s really not so much the dress code itself that bothers me. It’s the fact that I can’t be comfortable when I study for 10 hours in the library on a day when I am not even in class! I’m sure I would get used to it… And I fully understand that they feel that dressing professionally on campus at all times is a way to create a professional environment, and it certainly does. But the amount of dressing up they require is not business casual! It is a rather formal dress code. Though, the students seemed to get around it a bit.

Still, my first two years are going to be filled with a heck of a lot of other things to worry about without having to worry about having pantyhose on with open toed heels. I mean really… If they in any way had clinical experiences in the first two years, I would buy into this rule, but when I am stuck in a library and not seeing anyone all day, there is no way I want to be dressed up…

I just realized you guys were talking about a different LECOM campus. I was talking about LECOM-E actually and PBL is absolutely not for me. I will choose Lecture-based learning pathway for sure if I end up going there. :)

Thank you so much for explaining the pros and cons of LECOM and AZCOM. I really appreciate your help :D

I just realized you guys were talking about a different LECOM campus. I was talking about LECOM-E actually and PBL is absolutely not for me. I will choose Lecture-based learning pathway for sure if I end up going there. :)

Thank you so much for explaining the pros and cons of LECOM and AZCOM. I really appreciate your help :D

Ya we interviewed at LECOM-B on Friday and hear back on Wednesday. That was the difference, regardless many of the same pro/cons remain true outside of the curriculum.

Damn.... after all of the anticipation for things to come today it is the first time I can remember that I haven't had a SINGLE e-mail hit my inbox all day.... ridiculous. At least I got my transcripts overnighted today (although it cost me an extra 30 bucks) and I wrote my update letters from summer grades. GPA will officially (AACOMAS verified) be 2.92/3.01 soon, maybe breaking the 3.0 barrier will get me an interview lol

Damn.... after all of the anticipation for things to come today it is the first time I can remember that I haven't had a SINGLE e-mail hit my inbox all day.... ridiculous. At least I got my transcripts overnighted today (although it cost me an extra 30 bucks) and I wrote my update letters from summer grades. GPA will officially (AACOMAS verified) be 2.92/3.01 soon, maybe breaking the 3.0 barrier will get me an interview lol

You and me both! Mondays are always slow for me though... Tuesdays pick up and by Thursday I have been getting at least word from one or two of the schools.

You and me both! Mondays are always slow for me though... Tuesdays pick up and by Thursday I have been getting at least word from one or two of the schools.

I never hear anything from any schools. Its pretty depressing actually. I'm currently in the process of calling every school in order to get their mailing address for where they want update letters sent. Pain in the ass :laugh:

I never hear anything from any schools. Its pretty depressing actually.

I'm right there with you. Everytime I get an email, I get excited thinking it's a med school. When I open my inbox though, it ends up being junk mail. It's so disappointing. I almost wish I could get ANYTHING in my inbox, even if it's a rejection because at least I would know something!

NSU update! Check your portals....I got an interview!

:( Nothing for me. Still decision pending. I'm thinking its a rejection. I don't have a 3.0 in both sGPA and cGPA though so I'm not entirely sure that they are going to even give me a shot to begin with. Probably better too, cost of flying to and from florida is expensive :laugh:

:( Nothing for me. Still decision pending. I'm thinking its a rejection. I don't have a 3.0 in both sGPA and cGPA though so I'm not entirely sure that they are going to even give me a shot to begin with. Probably better too, cost of flying to and from florida is expensive :laugh:

No change for me either. I wonder if they are just going to leave 'decision pending' forever, or if they will eventually put something like 'on hold' or 'rejected'.

No change for me either. I wonder if they are just going to leave 'decision pending' forever, or if they will eventually put something like 'on hold' or 'rejected'.

Denied is the word they choose. I've got it on my app from last year. Congrats to all of you that got interviews, sorry I can't join you.

NSU update! Check your portals....I got an interview!

Just checked my portal..still don't have the status box that everyone else is talking about..:( I called them about two weeks ago and they told me my application was complete..WHAT THE HELL is going on? :confused:

Denied is the word they choose. I've got it on my app from last year. Congrats to all of you that got interviews, sorry I can't join you.

Who says you won't? Cheer up dude, I'm sure you'll get an interview invite :)

I have no idea where to look for the status! I looked on the portal where I did the secondary but I don't see where an update would be... Anyone mind posting the link for me since I suck?

Same here!!:D

When are you going?

Just checked my portal..still don't have the status box that everyone else is talking about..:( I called them about two weeks ago and they told me my application was complete..WHAT THE HELL is going on? :confused:

Relax, did you check both application links on the portal? Did you get the email saying you were under review first?

Who says you won't? Cheer up dude, I'm sure you'll get an interview invite :)

Seconded, invites are coming in waves so just hang in there.

I have no idea where to look for the status! I looked on the portal where I did the secondary but I don't see where an update would be... Anyone mind posting the link for me since I suck?

Use megathunder's link above, log in and check in both of the two applications you see. One of them should potentially have a box that says "status". If neither do it just means you haven't gone to review yet, call them.

I'm SOOOO freaking out..Everyone else is getting more and more interview invites..

So far I only got two..What am I gonna do??????? Add more schools???

I feel your pain. So far I'm 0 for 2 today. Invites went out for both Touro-NV and NSU, but nothing for me.

The rational part of me says we just have to be patient. It's still early for interview invites. The other part of me is whining like a baby saying "where's mine? I want it now!!!!!"

Good luck.:luck::xf:

I'm SOOOO freaking out..Everyone else is getting more and more interview invites..

So far I only got two..What am I gonna do??????? Add more schools???

Only two? I got two last year. Its still early, two is still two more than alot of people. Give yourself a little time. What invites do you have btw? I've lost track of people's invites.

I feel your pain. So far I'm 0 for 2 today. Invites went out for both Touro-NV and NSU, but nothing for me.

The rational part of me says we just have to be patient. It's still early for interview invites. The other part of me is whining like a baby saying "where's mine? I want it now!!!!!"

Good luck.:luck::xf:

I hear ya on that too. I was 1/2 today but I'm still missing two that I really wanted in CCOM and NSU. Just be patient I suppose. Update when possible. Good luck. Just remember you have 3 already and all it takes is 1 to say yes and you're gonna be a doctor

Only two? I got two last year. Its still early, two is still two more than alot of people. Give yourself a little time. What invites do you have btw? I've lost track of people's invites.

DMU and LECOM-E

Oh boy, I feel like crying now :( I'm still waiting on Nova, Western, KCOM, PCOM's invites.

For MD schools, 6 rejections so far (5 pre-secondary, and 1 post-secondary), and 3 no response (no secondary). I'm not sure if the rest of 15 schools are going to give me some love and offer me some interviews..please please please..keep my fingers crossed!

And thank you for your encouragement, seap! We can do it! But I'm still feeling a little bit down though :(

DMU and LECOM-E

Oh boy, I feel like crying now :( I'm still waiting on Nova, Western, KCOM, PCOM's invites.

For MD schools, 6 rejections so far (5 pre-secondary, and 1 post-secondary), and 3 no response (no secondary). I'm not sure if the rest of 15 schools are going to give me some love and offer me some interviews..please please please..keep my fingers crossed!

And thank you for your encouragement, seap! We can do it! But I'm still feeling a little bit down though :(

No no no I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I am saying two is a good thing!!! You are way ahead of the game. Let put it this way. This time last year, I was still 3.5 weeks from being verified. I turned in my first secondary a month from now and didn't actually interview until 3.5 months from now.

We are all still very very early in the game. Just because others are hearing doesn't mean we won't. Keep your head up and like I said, send updates to schools when you have the opportunity. I just paid 50 bucks to get a transcript sent to my house and one sent to AACOMAS. AACOMAS will update to all of the schools but I'll be sending an update letter to every school I haven't already received an interview at. I'll also be sending to every MD school.

I'm sure you will be fine. LECOM-E and DMU are both great schools. PCOM and Western haven't even started inviting yet. KCOM has sent limited invites and NSU's first wave went out today. Take a deep breath. I promise it will work out. Focus on the interviews you have for now and like I said, it only takes 1

No status box on NSUs site... That was where I was looking to begin with, thanks for telling me what to look for though!

Touro-NV interview invite :)

Yay! Congrats!!! Only 5 more interview invites to go and I will have won the prediction I threw out there months ago! Hehe.

Don't panic you guys that did not get any interviews today! This process takes some time... Even getting one interview invite is enough to get you into medical school!

Sorry for acting like a baby whiner :rolleyes: I guess I'm having PMNS (Pre-Med Neurotic Syndrome) at this moment..

I easily get upset but I get over it very quickly as well..I will probably be fine in 15 min..DbDan, you have been of a great help on this forum and thank youuuuuuuu so much!!!!!!! :):):)

No status box on NSUs site... That was where I was looking to begin with, thanks for telling me what to look for though!

Yay! Congrats!!! Only 5 more interview invites to go and I will have won the prediction I threw out there months ago! Hehe.

Don't panic you guys that did not get any interviews today! This process takes some time... Even getting one interview invite is enough to get you into medical school!

Actually only 4 more, and 4 acceptances. I believe the prediction was 8 invites and 4 acceptances. Bold prediction but so far you are looking already. I'd be happy with just 1 acceptance haha

Sorry for acting like a baby whiner :rolleyes: I guess I'm having PMNS (Pre-Med Neurotic Syndrome) at this moment..

I easily get upset but I get over it very quickly as well..I will probably be fine in 15 min..DbDan, you have been of a great help on this forum and thank youuuuuuuu so much!!!!!!! :):):)

PMNS... I like it haha Don't worry, if I didn't get the Touro-NV invite I'd be sulking right now about NSU. Things take time. I sulked about AZCOM and then got it 3 days after the first wave.

Just got touro-nv, too. Time to start interview management.

You know what would be nice? If there was a system where all schools had until a set date to go through apps and then all give their interview decisions on one day. Flight scheduling is painful, and I haven't even heard back from PCOM, DMU, or CCOM yet :rolleyes:

CCOM's silence is eating at my insides lol..... but i am grateful for the 3 that i have so far...AZCOM/ATSU-SOMA/NSU but im not even sure ill be able to attend ATSU.

I just don't understand what the deal is with ccom...did i mess up some part of the application or have they just not gotten to it yet lol....i need to know :scared:

You know what would be nice? If there was a system where all schools had until a set date to go through apps and then all give their interview decisions on one day.

If they did that all the anxiety from all the applicants would collapse in on itself and cause a panic singularity, sucking the entire universe into it.

If they did that all the anxiety from all the applicants would collapse in on itself and cause a panic singularity, sucking the entire universe into it.

:laugh: Could you imagine the cluster**** that would ensue if they really did release all interviews at once.

Just got touro-nv, too. Time to start interview management.

You know what would be nice? If there was a system where all schools had until a set date to go through apps and then all give their interview decisions on one day. Flight scheduling is painful, and I haven't even heard back from PCOM, DMU, or CCOM yet :rolleyes:

I scheduled Touro-NV 10/5, they are one of the few I would schedule mid-week... only because they only offer them midweek. I try to schedule everything fridays because of work. Anyway, to the point...

I'm driving either Monday night or Tuesday morning. In fact, I have class Monday night in LA (assuming I don't drop it) so if you are scheduling for the same day we can carpool. Leave late Monday night, get in very late Monday, sleep in Tuesday, interview 1pm Tuesday until 6pm. Drive home Tuesday night.

Disclaimer: If I get into AZCOM before there is a strong chance I don't go to the Touro interview. :laugh:

Fuuuu...placed on hold at AZCOM :(

Stick with it. Like the advice I've given everyone else on hold, and you in the AZCOM thread. Its not a rejection, keep sending updates if you want to go there. No harm in trying, hang in there. You've got other interviews, stay strong.