2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rank List Question..

Anyone else having trouble choosing which Tech school (Lubbock or El Paso) to rank higher? I can't decide which one I would prefer to attend. If you have chosen one over the other, what led to your decision?

Here's why I am choosing Lubbock over El Paso and also why I'm putting El Paso last...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20021492-504083.html

Moreso a joke than anything, but now the real reasons:

Facilities: Lubbock
Atmosphere: Lubbock

Lubbock wins over El Paso in my opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

But like you said, Lubbock is much more established as a school, they have the lectures recorded so that you can pull up lectures whenever you want. They've got that brand new huge and awesome sim center.

So I know I'm biased and all, but for what it's worth I'm going to add my 2 cents. El Paso is a really, really great school. Unfortunately, it's very small (could be a pro for some I guess) and they have no Step scores as of yet so it's really not clear yet if their curriculum is effective (I'm SURE it is, though and they have some really bright students out there).

Also, the bolded portion above. I didn't know that El Paso doesn't have recordings. This is something you will value more than you know at this point. We did not start our first year with this and having it since last semester has greatly improved not only my grades, but also my quality of life. I can take time off any time I feel burned out without risking my grades. If there's a wedding, funeral, birthday party, etc. out of town that I don't want to miss I can go. If I'm sick or tired or whatever, I can listen to lecture from home without spreading around my germs. If I dazed out in class or a lecture was really difficult, I can listen to it again. It is invaluable to me to have access to recorded lectures.

Recorded lectures and half-days have made my medical school experience totally different than I was expecting (less stressful, more enjoyable and less sacrificial).

Admittedly, I know very little about El Paso as it's been over 2 years since I interviewed there, but I wanted to let you guys know how strongly I feel about the lecture recordings and half-days (I think many of my classmates would highly agree). Not trying to pressure you - just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. :) Who knows, El Paso could have recorded lectures by the time y'all matriculate so it may be a moot point. And I also have no idea how many hours/day they are in lecture so the half-day thing may be completely pointless as well. :)

I just wanted to kick off the excitement..... LESS THAN 2 WEEKS UNTIL PRE-MATCH DAY!!!

Let the mayhem begin...:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to kick off the excitement..... LESS THAN 2 WEEKS UNTIL PRE-MATCH DAY!!!

Speaking of....at the interview one of the admins (I think Ms. Prado but not sure) mentioned that the early acceptances may arrive via email as soon as 11/13 (with a snail-mailed letter to follow). I saw no mention of this on TMDSAS. Does anyone know about this? Do all of the TX schools do this or just Tech? Good luck to everyone!!

Paramed, I want to thank you for being so excited for all of us suckers that have to wait for the pre-match to find out if we got into Texas Tech... ;) I am so jealous!

Speaking of....at the interview one of the admins (I think Ms. Prado but not sure) mentioned that the early acceptances may arrive via email as soon as 11/13 (with a snail-mailed letter to follow). I saw no mention of this on TMDSAS. Does anyone know about this? Do all of the TX schools do this or just Tech? Good luck to everyone!!

Last year they did this, but it was only because 11/15 was on a Sunday... This year it is on a Monday, which makes 11/13 a Saturday. I may eat my words later, but I think they will not be sending out prematches on a Saturday... I have been wrong before though, and this would be amazing!

I have heard about other places doing that too. I heard that they have only done that in years where Nov 15 fell on a weekend though so people wouldnt have to wait longer than they were supposed to? But not sure.

Paramed, I want to thank you for being so excited for all of us suckers that have to wait for the pre-match to find out if we got into Texas Tech... ;) I am so jealous!

Lol how did your phone interview go, nosh??

Lol how did your phone interview go, nosh??

They haven't set it up yet! The MBA department emailed me and asked me when I am available during the next two weeks, I emailed them with the days I could do it... I'm free pretty much every day for the next two weeks except for next Tuesday when I have my TCOM interview. But she hasn't emailed me back yet! I think she may be figuring out all the details before emailing me... I did ask her to let me know what day and give me a block of time to set aside for the interview. That way I don't have to pick up my phone when I am driving or over at the hospital... My boss told me I could have one of the doctor's offices to do my interview so it will be quiet. The leather chair, big desk and medical degrees on the wall might help get me in the mood to rock my interview. :) I just want to get it overwith right now! The sooner I do it, the sooner I could get an acceptance... Then I probably wouldn't have to wait until November 15th! And I could be done with this whole crazy process... FOREVER!

Last edited:
Good luck Noshie! Looks like you have worked really hard to get this far! I had the same experience during my interview at Tech- pursue MBA or not. It seems like such a great opportunity, but I too was unsure of being able to handle that plus med school. I am sure you will do great!

Hi everyone

I still don't quite understand why Texas schools offer pre-match offers? What's the point if they have a match anyway? Regardless, I'm looking forward to mid-November. Anyone know what it takes to get a pre-match offer from a school like TT-Lubbock?

Hi everyone

I still don't quite understand why Texas schools offer pre-match offers? What's the point if they have a match anyway? Regardless, I'm looking forward to mid-November. Anyone know what it takes to get a pre-match offer from a school like TT-Lubbock?

As Noshie and others have said in different threads, the pre-match is to get Texas residents to stay in Texas. Before the pre-match era, many Texas residents were taking acceptances and putting down deposits for OOS schools, thus making their decision to leave Texas because of timing issues or impatience! OOS had the advantage by giving earlier acceptances before the pre-match. :D

Good luck Noshie! Looks like you have worked really hard to get this far! I had the same experience during my interview at Tech- pursue MBA or not. It seems like such a great opportunity, but I too was unsure of being able to handle that plus med school. I am sure you will do great!

Thanks Rayonrojo! :D

Hi everyone

I think it all started when they realized that waiting until February may put them at a disadvantage of getting the best students. All of the out of state schools accept in October, and the students with the higher stats more than likely get into med school way before the match. So then why did they keep the match, this is the better question. Well, likely because they hate change... But also because getting into you top choice means that the rest of the Texas schools will know where they stand. They will drop you on Feb 1st and move on to another candidate without having to wait for you to formally withdraw. I hate both and wish we could just be normal and start getting acceptances in October... Well, this is the price we pay for being awesome Texans.

Members don't see this ad :)
As Noshie and others have said in different threads, the pre-match is to get Texas residents to stay in Texas. Before the pre-match era, many Texas residents were taking acceptances and putting down deposits for OOS schools, thus making their decision to leave Texas because of timing issues or impatience! OOS had the advantage by giving earlier acceptances before the pre-match. :D

Haha, beat me to it! Darn typing on the iPad slows me down. Well said Ursa! :laugh:

They haven’t set it up yet! The MBA department emailed me and asked me when I am available during the next two weeks, I emailed them with the days I could do it... I’m free pretty much every day for the next two weeks except for next Tuesday when I have my TCOM interview. But she hasn’t emailed me back yet! I think she may be figuring out all the details before emailing me... I did ask her to let me know what day and give me a block of time to set aside for the interview. That way I don’t have to pick up my phone when I am driving or over at the hospital... My boss told me I could have one of the doctor’s offices to do my interview so it will be quiet. The leather chair, big desk and medical degrees on the wall might help get me in the mood to rock my interview. :) I just want to get it overwith right now! The sooner I do it, the sooner I could get an acceptance... Then I probably wouldn't have to wait until November 15th! And I could be done with this whole crazy process... FOREVER!

Wow, three posts in a row... How annoying am I? :laugh: Well, I have good reason! I just got an email for my MBA phone interview, it will be on Friday at 10am! I'm kind of nervous... Eeeekk! :scared: Kind of cool that I don't have to dress up though... :rolleyes: Should be an interesting interview...

Wow, three posts in a row... How annoying am I? :laugh: Well, I have good reason! I just got an email for my MBA phone interview, it will be on Friday at 10am! I'm kind of nervous... Eeeekk! :scared: Kind of cool that I don't have to dress up though... :rolleyes: Should be an interesting interview...

Rock it, nosh!

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info on the pre-match, guys. So does anyone have any idea how many pre-match offers TT-Lubbock will send out? And do these offers normally go to the higher stats people? Thanks again.

gaaaah I wish Lubbock wasn't so far away from everything.

I flew to Austin to visit my sister for 39 dollars each way last weekend. (southwest) I can often book flights to Houston to visit family for 69 or 88 dollars each way. You just have to be smart and book in advance (like REALLY advance). Southwest is great and if it turns out you don't want to fly anywhere you can always cancel your reservation and you get the money refunded and have 1 year to use it towards another flight.

Plus we are a lot closer to New mexico, mountains and skiing.

And.... don't forget you are in med school so most weekends will be filled with studying anyway.

Just my 2 cents. :)

noshie,

It looks like we have a big overlap in the schools we applied to... Sadly, I'm out of state and just want to become a texan :)

noshie,

It looks like we have a big overlap in the schools we applied to... Sadly, I'm out of state and just want to become a texan :)

With the intelligence of this statement I predict you are a most definitely smarter than some others and will be accepted to a Texas school as an OOS applicant. ;)

Has anyone gotten anymore interviews....*twittle thumbs* :scared:

Been refreshing my email everyday like a mad person....kind of counting how many interview days they have left which is not good mental stress

Has anyone gotten anymore interviews....*twittle thumbs* :scared:

Been refreshing my email everyday like a mad person....kind of counting how many interview days they have left which is not good mental stress

I have noticed that interviews for both Techs come in on Fridays... Around 2 or 3pm... There are definitely exceptions to this rule, but if I were you I wouldn't freak out every day, just on Fridays... :)

Every day of the week for me is agonizing because I wait for different schools to email me about interviews. I wouldn't have noticed there was a pattern in when they send them out without SDN... Darn you SDN! Making me crazy!

noshie,

Aww, I hope you get your wish! Texas is awesome!

I have noticed that interviews for both Techs come in on Fridays... Around 2 or 3pm... There are definitely exceptions to this rule, but if I were you I wouldn't freak out every day, just on Fridays... :)

That fits me... I got my TT interview on a Friday, around noon tho.

Hmmmmm. I got my invite on a Tuesday shortly before noon. Maybe I am the exception that proves the rule.

My Lubbock invite came on a Wednesday, my Foster invite was Friday.

MD/MBA interview = amazing. :D It went really good I think, even though it was on the phone I think it could not have been better. Ok, now I have to wait... This wait is going to seem like a lifetime!

MD/MBA interview = amazing. :D It went really good I think, even though it was on the phone I think it could not have been better. Ok, now I have to wait... This wait is going to seem like a lifetime!

Yay!! :D Go noshie, go noshie!!

Woooot for Nosh!

Well it's only like 10 days til pre-match day anyway:thumbup:

What's the deal with post-interview updates? Are they allowed, looked at? Do people update post-interview (e.g. new publication, volunteer, research)?

Thanks.

What's the deal with post-interview updates? Are they allowed, looked at? Do people update post-interview (e.g. new publication, volunteer, research)?

Thanks.

Anyone...anyone? I'm tempted to do this, but not sure if it would make a difference at this point. I guess at the very least it'll show them that I'm still interested.

Last edited:
Anyone...anyone? I'm tempted to do this, but not sure if it would make a difference at this point. I guess at the very least it'll show them that I'm still interested.

I am planning on writing a post interview letter, but not until after November 15th... I think writing it now will probably be useless... You need to save that ammunition for when you really need to sway their decision. If you do it now, it will make less of an impact. But if you do it after getting waitlisted... It will be much better and it will give them the impression that this is your top choice and you want them to change their mind... Just how I look at it… :)

I am planning on writing a post interview letter, but not until after November 15th... I think writing it now will probably be useless... You need to save that ammunition for when you really need to sway their decision. If you do it now, it will make less of an impact. But if you do it after getting waitlisted... It will be much better and it will give them the impression that this is your top choice and you want them to change their mind... Just how I look at it… :)

I plan to do this to a couple of schools after November 15 too. Do you think it's better to send the letter in the mail or to email the letter to admissions? The thing about snail mail that makes me hesitate is that I've had some things on the way to med school mailboxes get lost in the mail before and it's been very frustrating...

I plan to do this to a couple of schools after November 15 too. Do you think it's better to send the letter in the mail or to email the letter to admissions? The thing about snail mail that makes me hesitate is that I've had some things on the way to med school mailboxes get lost in the mail before and it's been very frustrating...

I did my letters of interest via snail mail... I am also worried some of them got lost! But, it is the mail... I mean, it’s been around forever, and if you address it correctly then it should get to them. I called each admissions office to make sure I got the correct address and "mail code". For those of you that have never worked at a huge university, the mail code is essential to make sure the letter gets to the department you want it to go to. It’s like an extra zip code... They didn’t have this listed on all of the admissions sites, so that was the main reason I called.

Email is probably good too though, quick, easy, fast and direct. They will have to read it...

I agree. Wait until after Nov. 15th. And I'm pretty sure you want to do it before match, but I'm not sure.

I agree. Wait until after Nov. 15th. And I'm pretty sure you want to do it before match, but I'm not sure.

Nahhh, definitely wait until after the match! :smack:

I'm just messing with you bigtruckguy!

In the interview feedback, many responses say Tech give you a portfolio and to not bring my own... True, False, Suggestions?

In the interview feedback, many responses say Tech give you a portfolio and to not bring my own... True, False, Suggestions?

True. It's a big, nice plastic portfolio with an expandable filing pocket and a legal pad attached to it.

True. But, bring a portfolio anyway, so you can keep your wallet stuff, and use notepad in it.

True. I didn't bring anything except a pen. The pen they gave me kinda sucked, so mine came in handy. The portfolio is nice, I don't think you'd need another one or anything else.

Thanks for the responses guys. So could we hear as early as this Friday on a pre-match offer?

Thanks for the responses guys. So could we hear as early as this Friday on a pre-match offer?

Nope, Monday the 15th, a week from today, is the first day they begin offering pre-matches.

Nope, Monday the 15th, a week from today, is the first day they begin offering pre-matches.

BLAH! Why they play this game with us? I'd love to know something before going into the weekend.

Good Luck All!! So excited to see which of you pre-match, it's always exciting when the students who really want to come here get in. :thumbup::thumbup:
:luck::luck:

Thanks.

doc - i would definitely not send anything out yet. I would even suggest waiting until after match day (feb 1st). Because if you send something out in December then have an amazing experience in January or March they won't know about it.

Also, certain schools will actually welcome and invite this. A&M is one who does for sure for anyone on their waitlist. Tech DOES use the match on feb 1st so even if you don't hear anything on nov. 15th you might still have scored high enough on your interview/MCAT/statement etc. In which case sending the update would be unnecessary.

Best of luck.

Good Luck All!! So excited to see which of you pre-match, it's always exciting when the students who really want to come here get in. :thumbup::thumbup:
:luck::luck:

Hopefully I'm one of em, after lots of thought I've decided to make Lubbock my top choice. I didn't feel the same camaraderie at any of the other school. Send me a prematch!

Please..
:xf:

Hopefully I'm one of em, after lots of thought I've decided to make Lubbock my top choice. I didn't feel the same camaraderie at any of the other school. Send me a prematch!

Please..
:xf:

If I had ANY say I'd totally send you a pre-match! :luck:

Hey guys! My interview is on Friday (freaking out!!!) Hopefully all goes well. Any advice?

Hey guys! My interview is on Friday (freaking out!!!) Hopefully all goes well. Any advice?

The school is great and the students and staff are very friendly, just enjoy it and congrats!

Just be yourself and don't worry about stuff. Nothing but the interview has any say in your acceptance, so enjoy the day and learn as much as you can about the school. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.