2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you times a million!!!!!! :) I was just asking people if they were going to do this in the Texas thread... I :love: you.

haha, you got it Noshi! I hope it goes to you! I'm staying in San Antonio for family reasons, Tech seemed like a great school. Good Luck!

I called today to make sure they have all my stuff and to see when I could be notified of a possible acceptance... Since I am MD/MBA I figured it would be a little different, and I completed my MBA thing a few weeks ago. They said they got my stuff, and they received everything from my MBA interview... But they already sent out all of the prematches on Monday and will have a few more batches until the end of December. Basically she told me I would still have to wait. Eeek! I am getting restless... I was kind of hoping she would give me some kind of specific answer! Haha. I wonder if they will rereview my application since I changed my program...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the great input guys, it has been really helpful. I am now considering Tech over UTH, mostly thanks to what I have heard on these boards - and from other Tech students. Thanks for clarifying the patient exposure aspect, as it was my only concern about Tech.

One more question - what would current students say are some of the bad things about Tech? I can't really think of anything from an outside view.

I'm going to re-emphasize what the others said about clinical learning, we have amazing teaching doctors here. What you get in Houston is probably a lot of doctors, many who are great teaching doctors, but many who wanted to work at a big-name medical center. What you get in Lubbock are doctors who WANT to be HERE and want to teach AT Tech. Nobody comes here for Lubbock the town, we're all aware of that (although, admittedly I do like it here a lot). The doctors you encounter here want to teach you. Another advantage over the big-name hospitals is that we have less residents and fellows overall. This means you get more first-hand experience. I would argue that doing things yourself is better clinical training than any thing else you can come up with. By the end first year we were all 100% confident doing a full physical and history with a real patient. By the middle of second year we're able to, at the very least, stumble our way through a physical with a spanish-speaking patient. By the end of second year we all should have learned from our preceptors how to present a patient and come up with a differential diagnosis. This is HUGE. We go into 3rd year with at least some knowledge of how to be 3rd years instead of sounding like idiots our first day on wards. I'm right with the others who commented, although The Texas Medical Center has a lot of allure in the way of being....big....and famous....you have to look at it from a student viewpoint. The less people in the operating room the more you get to do. The less people butting in, the more one on one time you get with your doctors.

Also, one hugely beneficial aspect of splitting the campuses is the fact that our rotation groups are TINY. This increases your one-on-one time with the doctor you are with greatly. The less people you have sharing your attending, the more your attending can focus on teaching you the things you want to learn.

As far as something bad about Tech....I mean....I hate that Lubbock is so far from Dallas and some of my family. I honestly cannot come up with things I hate about this program. We have half-day classes, recorded lectures, fabulous facilities, a brand new flippin' awesome simulation center, a state-of-the-art burn unit, Level I trauma center, some of the friendliest teaching doctors you'll ever meet and hugely diverse population of patients served.

I know we probably all come off as biased, but go read through some of the other school-specific threads. There are VERY few current med students at other schools who are as passionate about their school as the people who go to Tech (why would the three of us be in here going on and on about this school 2 days before a big exam if we weren't really sure this was the most underrated, as far as outside views go, medical school on the planet??).

(okay I also hate our ECE class, but from what I understand this is mandatory curriculum in Texas)

I'm going to re-emphasize what the others said about clinical learning, we have amazing teaching doctors here. What you get in Houston is probably a lot of doctors, many who are great teaching doctors, but many who wanted to work at a big-name medical center. What you get in Lubbock are doctors who WANT to be HERE and want to teach AT Tech. Nobody comes here for Lubbock the town, we're all aware of that (although, admittedly I do like it here a lot). The doctors you encounter here want to teach you. Another advantage over the big-name hospitals is that we have less residents and fellows overall. This means you get more first-hand experience. I would argue that doing things yourself is better clinical training than any thing else you can come up with. By the end first year we were all 100% confident doing a full physical and history with a real patient. By the middle of second year we're able to, at the very least, stumble our way through a physical with a spanish-speaking patient. By the end of second year we all should have learned from our preceptors how to present a patient and come up with a differential diagnosis. This is HUGE. We go into 3rd year with at least some knowledge of how to be 3rd years instead of sounding like idiots our first day on wards. I'm right with the others who commented, although The Texas Medical Center has a lot of allure in the way of being....big....and famous....you have to look at it from a student viewpoint. The less people in the operating room the more you get to do. The less people butting in, the more one on one time you get with your doctors.

Also, one hugely beneficial aspect of splitting the campuses is the fact that our rotation groups are TINY. This increases your one-on-one time with the doctor you are with greatly. The less people you have sharing your attending, the more your attending can focus on teaching you the things you want to learn.

As far as something bad about Tech....I mean....I hate that Lubbock is so far from Dallas and some of my family. I honestly cannot come up with things I hate about this program. We have half-day classes, recorded lectures, fabulous facilities, a brand new flippin' awesome simulation center, a state-of-the-art burn unit, Level I trauma center, some of the friendliest teaching doctors you'll ever meet and hugely diverse population of patients served.

I know we probably all come off as biased, but go read through some of the other school-specific threads. There are VERY few current med students at other schools who are as passionate about their school as the people who go to Tech (why would the three of us be in here going on and on about this school 2 days before a big exam if we weren't really sure this was the most underrated, as far as outside views go, medical school on the planet??).

(okay I also hate our ECE class, but from what I understand this is mandatory curriculum in Texas)

Wow! Okay, Sign me up !
Common Pre-match

Did it come via Email or what?

Yup. My co-worker who prematched to the MD/MBA program also got one, but it was for a larger amount. I didn't ask specifics, but I think they try to alleviate the cost of the 5th year.

Last edited:
Yup. My co-worker who prematched to the MD/MBA program also got one, but it was for a larger amount. I didn't ask specifics, but I think they try to alleviate the cost of the 5th year.

There is no 5th year for this program... They end up giving you a scholarship for the full MBA program's tuition... That way you are only paying for the MD like everyone else...

There is no 5th year for this program... They end up giving you a scholarship for the full MBA program's tuition... That way you are only paying for the MD like everyone else...

Ah, that makes sense. I turned my brain off while the MD/MBA guy was presenting his spiel because I had zero interest. The awesome 4-color pens didn't help much, either. :p

One more question - what would current students say are some of the bad things about Tech? I can't really think of anything from an outside view.

There honestly isn't much I can come up with for this one.

I don't like that if you get to the library after noon on an exam week for either MSI or MSII's it can be difficult to find a private study room. I wish they would build more but there are plenty of cubicles just not rooms with big tables and white boards. I do have an office at home I can use and there are many coffee shops here too.

I didn't like that anatomy disections in 1st year were 4 days a week (M/T/TH/F)- some friends at another school only had to go ever other day (2 groups shared a body) so half the disections were done for you and you just reviewed structures- but then again I want NOTHING to do with surgery!

I miss being close to a city for shopping but my parents who are in Amarillo just make it a priority to take a vacation every 5-6 months down to Dallas or Austin to shop and they work around my schedule and my brothers undergrad schedule so we are always included!

That's all I can come up with though- I love our faculty and am super excited to be here

A question to those who attend TT: now that Nov. 15th has passed, would you recommend to those without a pre-match offer from TT to send in updates/letters of interest before the match in February? Will they help? Are they welcomed? Some other applicants gave me some advice. I'd like to now hear back from the students. Thanks!

There honestly isn't much I can come up with for this one.

I don't like that if you get to the library after noon on an exam week for either MSI or MSII's it can be difficult to find a private study room. I wish they would build more but there are plenty of cubicles just not rooms with big tables and white boards. I do have an office at home I can use and there are many coffee shops here too.

I didn't like that anatomy disections in 1st year were 4 days a week (M/T/TH/F)- some friends at another school only had to go ever other day (2 groups shared a body) so half the disections were done for you and you just reviewed structures- but then again I want NOTHING to do with surgery!

I miss being close to a city for shopping but my parents who are in Amarillo just make it a priority to take a vacation every 5-6 months down to Dallas or Austin to shop and they work around my schedule and my brothers undergrad schedule so we are always included!

That's all I can come up with though- I love our faculty and am super excited to be here

Surprisingly, Lubbock is kind of a plus. I would rather be in a city like Dallas, but it is much better than Houston to me. It would be nice already being familiar with the city, I would think. Any word on lectures being video recorded as well as audio in the near future?

Surprisingly, Lubbock is kind of a plus. I would rather be in a city like Dallas, but it is much better than Houston to me. It would be nice already being familiar with the city, I would think. Any word on lectures being video recorded as well as audio in the near future?

They are "working on" that now- I have no idea at what point it will actually happen though- last year we were told hopefully this fall but I haven't heard an update in awhile. If you wanted more info then you could send an email to Dr. Simon Williams and ask him, he is the Dean of student currriculum and student affairs so he loves working with students and if he didn't know he would know who to message.

Members don't see this ad :)
A question to those who attend TT: now that Nov. 15th has passed, would you recommend to those without a pre-match offer from TT to send in updates/letters of interest before the match in February? Will they help? Are they welcomed? Some other applicants gave me some advice. I'd like to now hear back from the students. Thanks!

I don't have any official insight on this, but with Tech being so student friendly and having a tendency to accept people who are genuinely interested in the school I can't see any way it would hurt.

Received a pre-match today. Unbelievably excited, and still cannot believe that it happened!! :love:

Received a pre-match today. Unbelievably excited, and still cannot believe that it happened!! :love:
Seriously? Like the email got sent today? When did you interview?

This gives me hope. Hopefully it's not false hope:(

Seriously? Like the email got sent today? When did you interview?

This gives me hope. Hopefully it's not false hope:(

Yes, it was sent today, I was completely surprised. I interviewed in August. Good luck!!

Yes, it was sent today, I was completely surprised. I interviewed in August. Good luck!!

Congrats!!! How exciting! And you are definitely giving us all some much needed hope right now... :) Have you prematched anywhere else?

I pre-matched today, will be withdrawing

I got in! :D Got the email this morning at 11:42. I checked my phone and was thinking I just had some junk email, but checked it anyway and there it was! I was so happy I started to cry :laugh:

Stats:
Reapplicant
27Q
3.79/3.69
Interviewed on 10/22

Pre-matched today at 11:42am. :D
3.7/3.5 32MCAT
Interview: 8/9

So... They must have it all computerized... I wonder if people get prematched as other people withdraw from their acceptances online. :D

I got the acceptance email today at 12:01 pm.

I interviewed on October 8th.
3.97/4.0 GPA/sGPA, 34 MCAT, IS

I got accepted at noon :01 as well. Funny thing was it went directly to spam folder. Good thing I checked it before before deleting. 3.865 UGPA/3.8 sGPA, 34 MCAT, reapplicant, Interviewed on 09/17.

I actually applied for MD/MBA. Does the MBA acceptance come later or is the MD acceptance alone is their way of saying no MBA for me????

I got in! :D Got the email this morning at 11:42. I checked my phone and was thinking I just had some junk email, but checked it anyway and there it was! I was so happy I started to cry :laugh:

Stats:
Reapplicant
27Q
3.79/3.69
Interviewed on 10/22

haha same for me w/ my top choice, felt like such a baby

Congrats to everyone here who got accepted this week! Getting that email on Saturday was something I will never forget :D. Quick question: If we are accepting the offer, do we need to send in the 100 dollar fee to hold our place with the acceptance form or should I just wait for the info packet in the mail?

Congrats to everyone here who got accepted this week! Getting that email on Saturday was something I will never forget :D. Quick question: If we are accepting the offer, do we need to send in the 100 dollar fee to hold our place with the acceptance form or should I just wait for the info packet in the mail?

I was wondering the same thing. I think I'm going to send it with the acceptance form just to be safe. Congrats to you too!

Nowhere in the acceptances does it ask for deposit yet. I think you will have to do that after matching. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

It said in the letter in the packet they sent me that they will ask for the $100 deposit on your seat sometime in the spring, likely after you match... Makes sense because you don't want to have to pay money for a seat you could potentially match out of

It said in the letter in the packet they sent me that they will ask for the $100 deposit on your seat sometime in the spring, likely after you match... Makes sense because you don't want to have to pay money for a seat you could potentially match out of

Do we lose our chance at the scholarship if we don't send in the form by December 1?

Well, I think I have finally decided on Tech! And I am super excited about it. I can't wait to meet all of my fellow classmates this next fall. This means there will be a seat at UTHSCSA and UTH opening up now!

Well, I think I have finally decided on Tech! And I am super excited about it. I can't wait to meet all of my fellow classmates this next fall. This means there will be a seat at UTHSCSA and UTH opening up now!

I'm waiting for the TTUHSC Class of 2015 FB group, lol.

Thats awesome! I have interviews coming up at both of those schools before I make a final decision, but I am almost positive I will choose Tech. Did you find anything at San Antonio or Houston that jumped out at you over Tech?

Yep, I called today and asked and they said you don't have to send in the fee until February.

Thats awesome! I have interviews coming up at both of those schools before I make a final decision, but I am almost positive I will choose Tech. Did you find anything at San Antonio or Houston that jumped out at you over Tech?

Well, they are all, in my opinion very different. UTSA was a nice school, and all of the students loved being there. Their curriculum is system based, which is a huge draw for many, but I just wasn't a fan of it. There weren't any negatives for the school itself, just nothing that really struck me as awesome. Their Harlingen program is pretty sweet if you are Spanish speaking (or want to be) though. Other than that, there wasn't anything that made it great.

UTH is an awesome program. The Texas Medical Center is their biggest asset. If I was interested in research, this would be where I went. The students all seemed pretty happy and friendly. Their facilities were pretty nice, and their teaching hospital (Memorial Hermann) seems like a great place to learn. The negatives, for me, is that traffic and parking are miserable. University Housing is a definite plus, as they offer a free shuttle - but it seems like it could become a pain in the butt. Houston, as well as SA, are both really far from my friends and family, which is also a negative. Another negative is the block schedule. The "Test weeks of hell: seem miserable, and studying for that many classes at the same time would be tough. The students I talked to weren't too fond of it. I thought I would be choosing UTH over Tech for some time. It was only recently that Tech finally topped UTH.

For me, Tech was the best fit. I like the way they have their curriculum set up, but most of all I love the small class size. The amount of early clinical experience Tech offers is impressive, and the small amount of residents/upper level students is nice when trying to find someone to shadow. I like that Tech is the only school in Lubbock, and that there aren't a lot of residents to compete with. The Amarillo part is perfect for me (I am from Amarillo), and not having ANY surgical residents would be awesome. As a 4th year med student rotating through surgery you are treated like a resident.

That is a (kind of) brief run-down of how I saw the schools. I am biased, in that I went in not really wanting UTSA, so I am not nearly as passionate about it as the other two. Feel free to PM me or ask anything else you want - it took me a lot of research/asking around to make my decision. In the end, it comes down to what fits you best.

Does Texas Tech HSC email out acceptances on any specific day Friday or Saturday? Or do they get emailed out any day of the week? Thanks

hello everyone,

I am new to sdn and would like to be part of this community. I interviewed at tech in august but have not gotten the offer yet. Noshie, my gpa and mcat are pretty similar to yours and you have much better extracurriculars. I read your profile and was impressed. You wrote the letters of interest to schools and got an interview with tcom. I would appreciate your advice on how to approach this situation. I am really nervous since tech is the only interview i have gotten so far. thank you

Does Texas Tech HSC email out acceptances on any specific day Friday or Saturday? Or do they get emailed out any day of the week? Thanks

It has only been a week, so it is hard to see a pattern yet... But they did send them out this past Saturday, so maybe this will be a trend. Hopefully!

hello everyone,

I am new to sdn and would like to be part of this community. I interviewed at tech in august but have not gotten the offer yet. Noshie, my gpa and mcat are pretty similar to yours and you have much better extracurriculars. I read your profile and was impressed. You wrote the letters of interest to schools and got an interview with tcom. I would appreciate your advice on how to approach this situation. I am really nervous since tech is the only interview i have gotten so far. thank you

Aww, thanks for your kind words! I sent you a message with more information on the letters I sent. Good luck!

You know, it's kind of funny. I went into the interview process with my list of schools already ranked by preference. Seeing some of the Texas schools changed up my list almost entirely. I was sure San Antonio would be close to the top of my list, but it ended up dead bottom. Texas Tech moved way up. I still don't know what to make of UT Houston. Going up to New York was pretty cool. Still looking forward to Baylor because I keep hearing great things about it, but I'll be withdrawing from the other Texas schools and keeping my spot at Tech. I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating here unless I get an acceptance from Southwestern (where's my hometown love? :D still debating whether or not to send that letter).

Life takes you in crazy directions sometimes.

For current students, what does a typical day look like at Tech? A lot of the other schools have calendars posted for their MSI and MSIIs, and was wondering what it would look like for Tech.

MS1:

Anatomy
8:00-8:50 lecture
9:00-9:30 prelab
9:30-noon(ish) Lab
various lunch club meetings at noon
The rest of the day is yours to study, nap, shadow, etc.

One day a month you will have clinic from 1:00-5:00
also one or two days a month you will have ECE lecture or small group

The rest of first year:
9:00-12:00 lecture.
The rest of the day is yours :D (with lunch meetings and the occasional ECE/clinic mentioned above)

MS2:
10:00-12:00 class
1:00-3:00 class
or
nothing in the morning and
1:00-4:00 or 5:00 class

again 1 day a month clinic in the morning and 1 day a month lecture or smallgroup.
:thumbup: we really do only go to class for half of a day. (on the majority of days) So if you want to bring lunch and work straight till 7:00 pm you can, or you can go home for lunch, nap, and then work until late. Or you can work-out, get your oil changed, shop, shadow in the clinic during working hours, etc.

we stress that the majority of learning happens outside of the lecture. Most people can't "learn" something by just hearing it once, so we have ample time to draw pictures, make flash-cards, make tables, etc.

Hey y'all. So I got an email from TTUHSC inviting me to attend a football game after my interview. This was the first email I got from Tech. I quickly checked Merlin to make sure that I do indeed have an interview (I do!). However, after looking over posts in this thread it seems that I should have gotten a different email with suggested hotels, a coffee social, housing with med student, etc. Could somebody post that info here or pm it to me. My interview is on 12/10 and I really need to finalize my plans soon!

Thanks for your help, in advance.

That is strange, since our football season is over. It is definitely a different e-mail than I got.

Hey y'all. So I got an email from TTUHSC inviting me to attend a football game after my interview. This was the first email I got from Tech. I quickly checked Merlin to make sure that I do indeed have an interview (I do!). However, after looking over posts in this thread it seems that I should have gotten a different email with suggested hotels, a coffee social, housing with med student, etc. Could somebody post that info here or pm it to me. My interview is on 12/10 and I really need to finalize my plans soon!

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Just a reminder to all interviewees that Thursday, November 18th from 6:00 pm-8:00 pm there will be an informal, student only gathering at J&B coffee located at 26th and Boston. This is a great opportunity to talk to current medical students and relax a little bit the night before the interview. There will be FREE food and coffee. If transportation is a problem give me a call and we can arrange some for you. You do not need to stay the whole time. This is really a chance for you to relax and ask questions. Please RSVP to my email address, *&^(*&(& if you are interested. If you have already emailed me don't worry I have you down.

I do not want to post someone elses email addresses if you want the email address please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.