**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
11V 10 PS 10 BS WS N

I screwed up my first few years in school a long(> 10 years) ago because I had no focus. Since then Ive had a very strong upward trend and nearly straight A's post bacc(3.96) over the last 30 credit hours.

Im all ready to submit my primary aacomas app I just dont feel good about my PS yet. I dont have any volunteering experience. Im just starting to shadow, but other than that no patient care experience.

I am a non-trad with a family and work. Any suggestions on where to apply? Do you think that I have waited too long to submit? Will my lack of health care experience keep me from getting in?

My PS is mediocre right now. Is a killer PS critical?

Your PS is your chance to show the admissions personnel who you are. Other than your PS, your primary app only shows you as a set of numbers (especially with your lack of volunteer and clinical experience). I think your PS will actually be THE determining factor as to whether you receive any love from schools at all if you are planning on applying this cycle. Without any clinical experience, you really need to explain to them what it is that is driving you toward medicine and you need to convince them that you're sincere about this, despite not having the background to support it. I'm sure this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it isn't so much that your personal statement has to be immaculate; it's that you are going to need it to be more than just a personal statement in your particular case.

My personal opinion would be to wait until next cycle and garner some clinical volunteer work and community volunteer work, as well as some shadowing when you can. I know it's easier said than done while you're working a job and supporting a family. You already have the numbers, you're a non-trad, you bring unique experiences to the table and I think you're a very qualified applicant. If you are able to do this, I think it will definitely put you more at ease when writing your PS and make it much easier.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck! Let me know if you there is anything you think I can hep you with. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you everyone ^^. I am very motivated to take the exam again and I will not stop applying until I get into a DO school. I was never really interested in medical school until my advisor happened to tell me about DO and its been quite a journey since then haha. Good luck, hope everyone gets their dream job :D

11V 10 PS 10 BS WS N

I screwed up my first few years in school a long(> 10 years) ago because I had no focus. Since then Ive had a very strong upward trend and nearly straight A's post bacc(3.96) over the last 30 credit hours.

Im all ready to submit my primary aacomas app I just dont feel good about my PS yet. I dont have any volunteering experience. Im just starting to shadow, but other than that no patient care experience.

I am a non-trad with a family and work. Any suggestions on where to apply? Do you think that I have waited too long to submit? Will my lack of health care experience keep me from getting in?

My PS is mediocre right now. Is a killer PS critical?

I have almost the exact same stats as you (mine: 3.11 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 32 MCAT).

A question about the bolded...were those courses included into your cGPA you listed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Next year I'll be applying DO, my stats for DO schools are:

3.6cGPA
3.6sGPA

33 MCAT (11, 11, 11)

I have to stay in the area because of an illness in my family.

I am PA resident (philly). I want to go to PCOM, what can I do to improve my chances? I have OK clinical experience, which I am trying to remedy this year. I don't have shadowing or a DO letter, and I can't seem to find a DO doctor to shadow :(.

I'll keep trying, but if I can't, do you think I have a shot at PCOM? I'd also be able to go to LECOM - Seton Hill, UMDNJ, NYCOM, and VCOM as those being 'close enough', if I don't get into PCOM. Maybe Ohio U as well (Ogio and WV too expensive OOS I think).

Last edited:
Your worried about a 31MCAT? Please... DO schools look at each individual holistically, being that you are a non trad you don't have anything in your ENTIRE life that could count as volunteer or clinical experience? Getting those two items would be better than getting a higher grade in PS

I think he may mean ps = personal statement :).

Next year I'll be applying DO, my stats for DO schools are:

3.6cGPA
3.6sGPA

33 MCAT (11, 11, 11)

I have to stay in the area because of an illness in my family.

I am PA resident (philly). I want to go to PCOM, what can I do to improve my chances? I have OK clinical experience, which I am trying to remedy this year. I don't have shadowing or a DO letter, and I can't seem to find a DO doctor to shadow :(.

I'll keep trying, but if I can't, do you think I have a shot at PCOM? I'd also be able to go to LECOM - Seton Hill, UMDNJ, NYCOM, and VCOM as those being 'close enough', if I don't get into PCOM. Maybe Ohio U as well (Ogio and WV too expensive OOS I think).

If you haven't already, you might want to contact some of the DOs listed on this site. :)
http://osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main

My stats:
2.9-something sGPA
3.3-something cGPA
haven't yet taken the MCAT; read below
a little bit (120h) of volunteer work in a hospital w/ patient interaction

Here are my options, both are open choices, to be started this fall:
1) 1.5-year MPH, retaking an undergrad course or two at a JC to bump up sGPA, taking the MCAT in the Spring and applying next summer to enter in fall 2012.
2) 1-year SMP w/ med courses- they discourage taking the MCAT while in the program, meaning that I'll either be taking the MCAT and applying late summer/early fall 2011 or waiting to apply the following year (2012) for the class entering in 2013 and do something else while applying. This SMP has an 85% rate of eventual acceptance to med school.

I am currently enrolled in an undergrad course, Orgo II, that will overlap with the SMP by a week (they are aware of the situation- the course I'm taking is at the same school). Because the MPH program starts later, there is no overlap with that.
I do have an interest in Public Health but I want to base my decision on what is most likely to land me in med school.

Cost difference is not a major issue.

Last edited:
I have almost the exact same stats as you (mine: 3.11 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 32 MCAT).

A question about the bolded...were those courses included into your cGPA you listed?

Yah it is included in my cgpa. i had a crappy couple years over 10 years ago where I just bailed on classes. Quit going etc. SInce 2002 its been just A's and B's and then after graduating all A's except 1 A-

I think he may mean ps = personal statement :).

Assuming I can get that letter after shadowing, what do you think about my chances at one of those schools (I'd only apply to those)? Do I have a shot? My gpa for the last 60 science credits is a 4.0 including prereqs. Overall only 3.6 though.

Hey all,

I'm just about done with my AACOMAS... I'm having a nervous breakdown from all this stress! I don't feel that my application is strong enough, please give me some honest input:

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.62
nonscienceGPA: 3.50

MCAT: 27N

I have lots of leadership, some good community service, but only about 150 hours of clinical exposure. I'm going to be looking for a DO to shadow soon for a LOR.

I have a question... on AACOMAS, how close do you have to be to the correct number of hours? Example: I've done a TON of hours for one of my organizations I started, but I don't know exactly how much. I believe its close to 600 hours... I'm worried if adcoms will say "wow, 600 hours for a club, that's impossible! That LIAR!" when the truth is I really am that devoted to some clubs/tutoring I do.

Is this something they'll dismiss your application if they're suspicious? Or will they still invite you for an interview so you can explain it?

Also, I was wondering if ya'll could look over this list of schools i'm applying to. I'm a TX resident. Are there any bad OOS statistics or anything special (like Ohio's 5 year contract) I should know about??

AT.Still University Kirksville
ATSU – SOMA
AZCOM-MWU
CCOM
DMU
KCUMB
LECOM
LECOM Bradenton
LMU-DCOM
NSU (Nova)
OSU
PCOM
GA-PCOM
TUNCOM -
RVUCOM
VCOM –VC
VCOM-CC
Western U-COMP

Thanks for all ya'lls help! I love these forums.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm just about done with my AACOMAS... I'm having a nervous breakdown from all this stress! I don't feel that my application is strong enough, please give me some honest input:

MCAT: 27N

I have lots of leadership, some good community service, but only about 150 hours of clinical exposure. I'm going to be looking for a DO to shadow soon for a LOR.

I have a question... on AACOMAS, how close do you have to be to the correct number of hours? Example: I've done a TON of hours for one of my organizations I started, but I don't know exactly how much. I believe its close to 600 hours... I'm worried if adcoms will say "wow, 600 hours for a club, that's impossible! That LIAR!" when the truth is I really am that devoted to some clubs/tutoring I do.

Is this something they'll dismiss your application if they're suspicious? Or will they still invite you for an interview so you can explain it?

Also, I was wondering if ya'll could look over this list of schools i'm applying to. I'm a TX resident. Are there any bad OOS statistics or anything special (like Ohio's 5 year contract) I should know about??

ATSU – SOMA
AZCOM-MWU
CCOM
DMU
KCUMB
LECOM
LECOM Bradenton
LMU-DCOM
NSU (Nova)
OSU
PCOM
GA-PCOM
TUNCOM -
RVUCOM
VCOM –VC
VCOM-CC
Western U-COMP

Thanks for all ya'lls help! I love these forums.

WOW, we are nearly identical applicants. MCAT twins too. What I did for the clubs and organizations that I have hundreds and hundreds of hours logged into was just let the title speak for itself and leave the hours field blank. For instance I'm a premedical regional director for 5 states for the American Medical Student Association, and I explained everything that is involved with the position and then left the field blank. I did the same for a research team I was on for 3 years. I think that if they see you have been doing something for that long of a period and you include the things you've accomplished within it, they won't really care how many hours you have (and I'm sure they'll assume it was a lot), just that you were devoted.

As far as in-state bias: The VCOMs have a very high preference to applicants from the appalachian region (VA, Ohio, WV, Carolinas) but you may be able to sway them in your favor if you are from a very rural area.

PCOM isn't in-state biased per se, but they do favor students that they know are committed to benefitting the Philadelphia area.

Oklahoma State has a VERY high in-state bias and an outrageous out of state tuition from what I hear.

Let me know if you think there is anything else I can help you with and keep me up to date with your cycle! Good to see someone else with very similar stats around here.

Nice to meet you veetee! Thanks for the reply.

Hmm... I see your point about the hours. It makes sense. But would my application seem awkward to the adcoms if they see some of my ECs/leadership having hours inputted, and some not? Also... for some of the clubs I'm in, I was the founder... so I put in much more time than the average "President" would in creating the club. If I put "Founder" in the description would they get an idea how much time this took (so many hours AHH, I'm never starting a club again! haha), or would it be better to make an estimation?

I'm just worried when adcoms see my hours, they'll be suspicious that all my hours are rounded to nice numbers (600, 550, 200, 100, 50, etc.) and they'll think I'm just making stuff up. I had a nightmare last night my application was dismissed due to falsified information. A fate worse than death I must say!

Lol anyway, I will be sure to keep in touch VeeTee, and hope you do the same! How far are you in the app process?

And thank you to all you other SDNers!

Nice to meet you veetee! Thanks for the reply.

Hmm... I see your point about the hours. It makes sense. But would my application seem awkward to the adcoms if they see some of my ECs/leadership having hours inputted, and some not? Also... for some of the clubs I'm in, I was the founder... so I put in much more time than the average "President" would in creating the club. If I put "Founder" in the description would they get an idea how much time this took (so many hours AHH, I'm never starting a club again! haha), or would it be better to make an estimation?

I'm just worried when adcoms see my hours, they'll be suspicious that all my hours are rounded to nice numbers (600, 550, 200, 100, 50, etc.) and they'll think I'm just making stuff up. I had a nightmare last night my application was dismissed due to falsified information. A fate worse than death I must say!

Lol anyway, I will be sure to keep in touch VeeTee, and hope you do the same! How far are you in the app process?

And thank you to all you other SDNers!

Great to meet you too!

I assure you that everybody has their hours estimated to a nice number, all of mine pretty much end in 0's or 5's, or they were left blank. Unless you have a timesheet for certain things I wouldn't worry about it. If you put "Founder" in your description, make sure they know that you didn't just found something, call yourself president, and then let it die (which is a pretty common case). Definitely explain some of the things that you facilitated within the group, as well as events and whatnot and you'll be fine without hours. If it is over a long enough time for 600 hours to seem very reasonable (ie 2 years vs. 6 months) you should be fine to include the hours if you feel comfortable with it. A friend of mine was accepted at nearly everywhere he applied except some dream schools and he is matriculating to Georgetown next month. I got most of my AACOMAS advice from him and he more often than not just left the hours fields blank unless it was something that he had a concrete number of hours for.

I'm currently filling out and sending in secondaries. I'm actually on the last one that I have right now, and then I can get a head start on the 4 that I haven't received yet. Waiting on my last LoR though which is really getting frustrating because I still need the committee to write the letter after that. I'm getting worried that I won't be in the running for the first set of interviews that most places have in late Aug/early Sep.

Hope that helps, good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So after months of studying I found out devastating news that one of my family members had cancer. I found this out the day before my MCAT and it really affected my focus. I ended up getting a 24 O.

stats:

24 0 ps 7 WTF? worst I have ever done! 9 verbal 8 BS
3.25 cum 3.55 non science 2.81 science (for DO) over 3 (for MD because of Math)
2 years of volunteer research
4 months of externing for a DO
shadowed another DO
4 family members graduated from NYCOM

applied to every DO school

chances this cycle?

Which school do they get into? And what year was it?

In the end, it's your choice. Yes the MCAT is huge, but I have seen people with a 18MCAT/3.4GPA get in. By "people" i mean two. Some schools will cut you out without even looking at your app due to cutting out people with low mcats, but there are others who have a more holistic approach. If you have a good reason for scoring low on the MCAT, then maybe. If you have outstanding extra cirr, volunteer, and your GPA is great, then you might have a shot at those more holistic schools. I know that last year, I applied with a 22MCAT with a little lower GPA and received interest from a few schools, my extra cirr were lacking however, and in the end, I didn't make it anywhere. Retaking the MCAT and volunteering again this year, we'll see how I do. :)

You have to weigh the pros and cons. I know that if you took the MCAT again you would get a higher score, without a doubt. Whatever your choice, I wish you the best!

i realize that this belongs in the WAMC section and i did post there earlier, but i feel like this forum gets a lot more DO traffic than there, so i'm risking it and posting here as well. please don't kill me for posting twice.

so my stats are 26Q (my score breakdown is B7, P10, V9, Writing-Q), cGPA 3.55, sGPA3.48. i have 2 Cs (one in biochem and one in ochemI). otherwise, all Bs and mostly As. my last year they were all As and i took a very hefty upper level science class load for the last year. i chose to graduate in 3 years.

i have decent volunteering experiences, lots of shadowing (including 2 DOs) and am working on 2 clinical research projects at a major university (not my own undergrad) with one that should have a publication by the end of this year and the second one that will take me this whole year to complete.

i know my MCATs are low and GPA is average, so i wanted to have an idea about my chances from those of you who are already in DO (or even MD) med schools and those of you who might have (or have had) similar stats and what boat you're in currently.

i'm an ohio resident and OUCOM is my first preference but i'm also applying to:
Chicago COM
Kirksville COM
Philadelphia COM
New York COM
Lake Erie COM
Michigan State COM
Nova Southeastern COM
West Virginia COM
UMDNJ
Edward Via COM (in Virginia)
Des Moines
AZCOM
Kansas City
OK
TX

thanks a LOT!

I just graduated from a UC, and I have a 2.4 cumulative GPA. I took the MCAT once before and got a low score. I am taking it again at the end of August... and so far my practice scores are significantly better then the first real test.
I WANT to be a physician, but I don't have the numbers to get into any school.
Silly to ask but, do I have a shot anywhere?
What can I do to better my chances? Even Post-Bacs/SMPs require higher number than what I have.
ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated.

I just graduated from a UC, and I have a 2.4 cumulative GPA. I took the MCAT once before and got a low score. I am taking it again at the end of August... and so far my practice scores are significantly better then the first real test.
I WANT to be a physician, but I don't have the numbers to get into any school.
Silly to ask but, do I have a shot anywhere?
What can I do to better my chances? Even Post-Bacs/SMPs require higher number than what I have.
ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Right now your chances at 0. You're best shot is to do a post-bacc and get a 4.0 and thus it'll replace many of your science grades and boost your gpa. Afterward you'll need to study 3 months at the least for the mcat and score a 30+.
But in all honesty with a 2.4 gpa you either A) didn't study at all or B) have no aptitude for science. If the latter is the case then you should look for other career options. If its the former then you'll have to fight an uphill battle for over 2+ years to gets your gpa back to decent shape and that is under the impression you've figured out why you failed so horribly. If you have not figured out why you failed, please don't bother trying again because you'll just be wasting time.

Sorry if I'm being a bit hard but you need to realize you're in for a very rough uphill battle.

Good luck.

Hello SDN!

Long time lurker... first time poster. Lookin forward to hearing from ya'll.

MCAT: 27N (B10, P10, V7)
TX resident

ECs:
Lots of voluntary tutoring/lab TA-ing
Hospital Volunteering (delivered food/beverages, interacted with patients): ~120 hrs
Lots of leadership in community service and school organizations
No research (starting two student-run research project in the Fall for science clubs)
No shadowing :/

I know I must shadow a DO for the experience and LOR, which I'll be doing this Fall. After going through the CIB, here's my school list:

ATSU – SOMA
AZCOM-MWU
CCOM
DMU
KCUMB
LECOM
LECOM Bradenton

LMU-DCOM
NSU (Nova)
PCOM
GA-PCOM
TUNCOM
RVUCOM
VCOM –VC
VCOM-CC
Western U-COMP
TCOM (for TMDSAS)

My top choice is TCOM, but all the other bolded ones are my priorities. Please let me know if ya'll see anything I should be aware with these list of schools, given my stats. I suppose I should mention my grades are on a downward trend this past year (due to tragic incidents and deaths, travelling, etc.. which I described in my PS). I submitted my AACOMAS two days ago.

Thank chuu!

-Penguino

Undergrad Cum 3.28 Science 3.36
Non-trad student. Those grades include screw ups from basically having my head up you know where during those immature years.
Since then have had a lot of real life experience, including 2 years working in the hospital. 1 of 2 were spent working as an ER tech in a high volume ER as well as a post-surgical tech. Lots of hands on experience drawing blood, wound care, hard and soft splinting of orthopedic injuries, running ekgs, being involved in code blues, working on car accident victims, and a whole bunch of other stuff. i will have a solid LOR from a D.O. who was the chairperson of the ER department there.
taking the mcat in a few weeks. applying to Touro-COM Harlem, NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM.
what you think?

Last edited:
Hey,
Just wondering what my chances are with a 25O (8PS,7VR,10BS) with a 3.82 GPA (roughly for both science and cumulative). I applied to these schools:

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Hey,
Just wondering what my chances are with a 25O (8PS,7VR,10BS) with a 3.82 GPA (roughly for both science and cumulative). I applied to these schools:

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Where are you from?

California.

If you were from appalachia I would have said to add VCOM as you are exactly the applicant they look for: High GPA, MCAT 24+. I think you should definitely get some interviews from that list though, granted your ECs are in good standing. Good luck!

Hey all

Another Canadian:

3.43 cGPA (3.36 sGPA) from McGill Biochemistry with very strong upward trend. I had one D (advanced organic chem), retook the course and scored an A, which boosts by cGPA up to 3.51 using grade replacement. If not for my 2 C+'s second semester, I'd be sitting pretty.

I'm taking a year of independent undergraduate study, which will hopefully boost my GPA to 3.55-ish (3.6+ with grade rep). I have one W on my transcript from the same semester as my C+'s.

I also wrote the MCAT in 2008, and scored a 34O (12 PS, 9 VR, 13 BS).

My EC's are pretty standard: have been working/volunteering with intellectually handicapped/autistic children and adults since I was fourteen (like 1000+ hours), worked/shadowed at the Montreal Heart Institute for a full summer, coordinated a major on-campus event for 1000 people, traveled to Panama as part of a humanitarian medical mission (I also worked as the student liaison for the humanitarian group on campus the next year; I coordinated two trips). Should have solid letters of rec and will be pursuing a research project in the winter.

My problem: there are no DO's in Montreal (or at least none that I can find). I'm way below the averages for MD in Canada, likely won't be accepted to the US and can't afford Ireland. Without any DO shadowing, do I have any chance?

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Hey all

Another Canadian:

3.43 cGPA (3.36 sGPA) from McGill Biochemistry with very strong upward trend. I had one D (advanced organic chem), retook the course and scored an A, which boosts by cGPA up to 3.51 using grade replacement. If not for my 2 C+'s second semester, I'd be sitting pretty.

I'm taking a year of independent undergraduate study, which will hopefully boost my GPA to 3.55-ish (3.6+ with grade rep). I have one W on my transcript from the same semester as my C+'s.

I also wrote the MCAT in 2008, and scored a 34O (12 PS, 9 VR, 13 BS).

My EC's are pretty standard: have been working/volunteering with intellectually handicapped/autistic children and adults since I was fourteen (like 1000+ hours), worked/shadowed at the Montreal Heart Institute for a full summer, coordinated a major on-campus event for 1000 people, traveled to Panama as part of a humanitarian medical mission (I also worked as the student liaison for the humanitarian group on campus the next year; I coordinated two trips). Should have solid letters of rec and will be pursuing a research project in the winter.

My problem: there are no DO's in Montreal (or at least none that I can find). I'm way below the averages for MD in Canada, likely won't be accepted to the US and can't afford Ireland. Without any DO shadowing, do I have any chance?

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Montreal is a difficult region I think for DO's to get licensed due in part to the French language requirement. However I would consider doing a post-bacc and then applying june 1st next year for a lot of MD schools.

Montreal is a difficult region I think for DO's to get licensed due in part to the French language requirement. However I would consider doing a post-bacc and then applying june 1st next year for a lot of MD schools.

That's essentially what I'm doing right now, but even with a 3.55+ I'm still a relative longshot at most MD schools (I know no-one, aside form one student with absolutely ridiculous EC's, who was accepted at an American school with less than a 3.8 as a Canadian).

I guess I should look at grad schools. Thanks for your advice though, I think I'm on the right track, however steep it may be.

That's essentially what I'm doing right now, but even with a 3.55+ I'm still a relative longshot at most MD schools (I know no-one, aside form one student with absolutely ridiculous EC's, who was accepted at an American school with less than a 3.8 as a Canadian).

I guess I should look at grad schools. Thanks for your advice though, I think I'm on the right track, however steep it may be.

I believe Bannie got into 5 schools & got massive scholarships with a 3.7/33. However a 4.0 in a post-bacc is visible and will help you out massively. So I would say that with a good post-bacc or a masters you will be able to land an acceptance to a MD school.

My stats are stressing me out.. I need ur help...

MCAT 24M (p 8, b 9, v 7) English second language

sgpa 3.78
cgpa 3.82

2000 hrs volunteer, shadowing MD and DO... lots of medically related experience... applied to almost 14 D.O. schools..

What u think????

THNX

As long as you have a DO letter you'll likely be fine.

Hi everyone, i just wanted to get a feel for my chances at DO schools.

I graduated this year from a UC, and my cgpa is 3.43 and sgpa is 3.3ish. I have not taken my MCAT yet, but i am signed up for Sept2, and i'm only scoring around 27 right now on practice tests.

Work exp: peer tutoring for 2 quarters, shadowed MD, volunteer experience at hospital for about 200 hrs. I also did 2+ years of neurobio research, and got a paper published in an undergraduate journal, and got a summer award/grant.

Letters: 1 from MD, 1 from DO mentor, 1 from science prof/research, 1 from volunteer, possible 1 from tutoring job, possible 1 from statistics professor

I'm currently trying to finish up my PS, but people i asked to help me edit it are taking longer than expected, and also for some reason the transcript i sent from a college i took summer breadth classes in is taking forever to get to accomas.. i hope it isn't lost!

I know it is kind of late to be applying, so i am really worried about everything. My dream is to get into Western @ Pomona, especially since I live about 15 minutes away from there. But I will apply to all the schools I have a chance at. Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!

Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Educational Info: Biology major, cgpa 3.5, scigpa 3.7

Stats
1st try: 16N... B7,P6,V3
BTW: I offered a merp position in Ross u with this score but didn't accept it.
2nd try: 18Q...B5,P6,V7.

Ive been doing a lot of thinking and here is what i have come up with
1. Apply to 8 low tier allopathic US schools.. with some major faith..
2. Apply to 6 osteopathic schools.. Also with some major faith..
3. Apply to SGU and AUC.. Faith required..
4. Do a accelarated BSN somewhere
5. Apply for a PA somewhere

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

I am burnt outta ideas and sick of staying home. Really need help and advise.

Thank you

Unfortunately, you are really going to have an uphill battle with those scores. I would suggest that you take a class like Kaplan to improve your score. Other activities really won't help you unless you get at least low 20s with minimum of 7 in each section. For MD you will need minimum of 9 to be even considered. For better or worse that test is a gatekeeper of sorts! I studied 2 months morning noon and night for that test!
Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Stats

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

Thank you

Stats

Thank you
Your chances are slim to none at US med schools, even SGU and AUC for that matter. SGU has almost comparable average stats (3.3 cGPA and 27 MCAT) to US DO schools, and AUC average MCAT is almost in the mid 20's. Like the previous poster said, you should take a prep class like KAPLAN and retake the MCAT . Aim for a 24+ so you can be competitive at DO because you have good GPAs. Dont settle for PA or BSN because if your goal is to become a physician, you will never be happy as a PA/RN...and I have learned that. Worst mistake I have made myself!!! Study hard and retake the MCAT. You can do it... Good luck.

Last edited:
Your chances are slim to none at US med schools, even SGU and AUC for that matter. SGU has almost comparable average stats (3.3 cGPA and 27 MCAT) to US DO schools, and AUC average MCAT is almost in the mid 20's. Like the previous poster said, you should take a prep class like KAPLAN and retake the MCAT . Aim for a 24+ so you can be competitive at DO because you have good GPAs. Dont settle for PA or BSN because if your goal is to become a physician, you will never be happy as a PA/RN...and I have learned that. Worst mistake I have made myself!!! Study hard and retake the MCAT. You can do it... Good luck.

demayette is right. Never settle. You have the opportunity to be whatever you want to be. If this is your true passion, do whatever it takes to make it. Don't question yourself. Its not a matter of "if" you get accepted, its a matter of "when". It is ultimately a numbers game at first so retake the MCAT. I know you don't want to but you need to. Continue improving your EC's to counter lower MCAT scores. Good luck!

Stats

Thank you

I honestly don't think you're ready to apply yet. The main thing you need to concentrate on is raising your mcat - nothing else will help you.

Your gpa is good, so I agree with the others that you need to take an mcat course of some kind. You can bring your score up if you find the right study strategy. Look at Noshie - her first scores were in the teens and through perseverance she finally got her score where she wanted it.

PA schools are also not a good back up plan. They are very competitive to get into. And if your goal is to be a physician you would be miserable being a nurse. Neither option would help you get into med school at all.

mmk im sure everyone is used to this question by now but im asking it anyway lol. sooo what are my chances of getting in to any DO schools with these stats:

cumGPA (from UCIrvine) : 3.208
science gpa (according to my transcript) : ~3.1 ish
MCAT: 24Q (V:10 B:8 P:6)
I am also thinking of retaking the MCAT aug 5th.

2 years of research, 100+ hours at a free clinic, member of a couple clubs, dean's list a few times,shadowed a doc for 3 years, volunteeres at a state mental disabilities hospital

thanks for the help!

At this point, I'm going to say no. Your GPA is low, your MCAT is low. Either up the GPA or get the MCAT up 3 to 5 points, without a 27, you have a poor shot. If you apply broadly to the lower tier schools, you have a chance.

Should have taken the MERP, Neurome.

There's no significant advantage in going to SGU or AUC over Ross, except that SGU is better organized in getting you into your 3rd year clerkships.

My friend goes to Saba (one of the worse schools), and she made it through her first 2 years and the USMLE despite her MCAT being a 22. And honestly, I don't consider her bright at all. Just beware that there is a lot of people that don't pass the shelf exam.

Hi,

My bio GPA is 2.13 and overall is 2.3. Have had some major setbacks in life.

1). Self supportive.
2). Unstable Family situation (b/w me and my dad rest of my family).
3). No one to inspire motivation and inspiration.
4). No relatives in this country.
5). Dad had a brain surgery.

About to graduate in one semester from University of MI. Looking for post-bacc to enhance myself. Worked in ER for one year. Vast majority of people and even physicians suggested that I can become a good physician because I was fast, honest, and hard worker at my job.

All I am looking for is second chance but I have no idea where to begin? Any help will be great.

Thanks

You have a poor chance at any formal post bacc, delay graduation and retake the classes you received a B- or lower in.

In other words, your done....... or spend the next 3-4 years working your butt of, just to prove yourselves to Adcoms that your worth considering.

Actually, you should seriously considering applying to Caribbean schools, they take almost anybody, however, competition is stiff and only about 50% actually make it through to the end.

Also, graduates of Caribbean are less competitive for the top-notch specialities - I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is an uphill battle....

He has 0 chance at SGU, ROSS, SABA or AUC. Even Caribbean schools want a 2.5. I don't even know if the schools in the next tier down i.e. SMU, Spartan would even look at him.

I would retake classes and get As in them since DO schools replaces grades you should have a good shot if you spend a year or 2 replacing the C/D/Fs you got with As.

1) Stop being a victim.

2) Be your own advocate!!! A lot of us are supporting ourselves and lack familial support.

3) Retake your classes before you start applying to a post-bac. If you haven't mastered the college-level concepts, you won't be successful at trying to master upper-level and graduate level concepts.

4) Best wishes. Keep your chin up and work your butt off.

Like everyone else said. You have little to no shot of a formal post-bacc. I suggest you begin retaking courses immediately. Start with any high unit courses you got a C or worse in. With your GPA I'm sure there are actually courses that you had a C- or lower in. Retake those first.

Like PeachyPhD said, stop being a victim and work your butt off. Sorry to hear about your situation but you left yourself with a very long road ahead of you.

If you are looking for sympathy, I think you'll find this is not the place to come. Motivation though... I'd be willing to bet there are few here that just breezed through undergrad, scored well on MCAT, and were welcomed with open arms into medical school. Its a tough road and you have to proove that you can walk it. We all face hardships, as students, professionals, and in our personal lives. Thats what really makes you unique. Your drive and determination to get through the tough times. So quit feeling sorry for yourself and realize that yesterday is history and the future has a lot of potential if you want it to. But you have to WANT IT!

Take the solid advice from the people here. Do what will be best for you. Explore the different option and figure out if being a physician is really for you, and not just because a couple of people say so. Retake some classes, work hard with all you've got towards whatever it is you decide to do. Its not a race either, slow down and do it right the first time. Remember, not even New Jersey was built in a day.

begin retaking courses immediately. Start with any high unit courses you got a C or worse in. With your GPA I'm sure there are actually courses that you had a C- or lower in. Retake those first.

The best GPA fixing advice ever. And yet so simple.

Problem is obviously GPA, but you're going to be unable to do a SMP/post bacc. Honestly ... with a 2.0, I'd probably suggest trying to just get a second bachelors. You're going to have to retake SO many classes anyways, that course units on that level are going to be the only thing to get it up high enough.

How many F's and D's do you have? With such a low gpa you'll probably need to retake the majority of your classes. It's unfortunate but you'll be fighting an up hill battle. Are you an URM?