2011-2012 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In mid-June of 2011, Cooper Medical School went AMCAS-live for the class of 2016, having cleared preliminary accreditation with the LCME. Cooper is a new state medical school in New Jersey associated with Rowan University.

-----

Prompts:
All 600 characters

What about our medical school attracted you to apply to CMSRU?
What specifically about you makes you a good choice in the inaugural class of a medical school?
What is your biggest concern about attending medical school?
What issues make healthcare a challenge in the CMSRU community and how can you contribute to a solution here?
Tell us something about you that does not come through in the AMCAS application.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
my best friend's dad is good friends with the dean and he told him that they're only going to accept 50 students for the inaugural class and approx half of them will be from rowan undergrad. the other half will mostly be from south/central jersey.

aren't any of you concerned about their requirements? physics and orgo are "recommended", not required. this seems odd. Is there a reason for this? How can anyone pass the MCAT without physics and orgo?
:confused: :confused::confused:

aren't any of you concerned about their requirements? physics and orgo are "recommended", not required. this seems odd. Is there a reason for this? How can anyone pass the MCAT without physics and orgo?

Ive heard this mentioned several times already. I mean if an applicant can do well on their MCATs without having taken those classes why would it matter? Not to mention most applicants they are going to get the first few years are going to have those prereqs done since they are more than likely applying to more than just Cooper.

And Im not too sure about the details exactly but isnt the new MCAT in 2015 not going to have orgo on it? Or focus on it a loss less? From what I hear the test has been having less and less orgo on it even now

my best friend's dad is good friends with the dean and he told him that they're only going to accept 50 students for the inaugural class and approx half of them will be from rowan undergrad. the other half will mostly be from south/central jersey.

that does not seem to make any sense whatsoever.

By that logic, I'm competing for 13 spots.

so its probably useless for a philly suburban resident to apply?

Well, this is unfortunate if it is true. :eyebrow:

its never useless to apply, if the world's information came from here-say it'd be a crazy, crazy place. Plus why wouldnt they take the most competitive students they can get especially if its their first class? Living in Philly now too and Im applying here. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused: :confused::confused:

Their requirements are more in line with the future MCAT. So, to phrase it another way, Cooper med seems to be 'ahead of its time' with this change.

so its probably useless for a philly suburban resident to apply?

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and got and submitted my secondary from them already. I am going to take my chances because it seems like it is going to be a really nice school.

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and got and submitted my secondary from them already. I am going to take my chances because it seems like it is going to be a really nice school.

At least you'll see a lot of penetrating trauma at CMC. :scared:

Hey, for anyone who already received the secondary, are there any prompts? Thanks!

Hey, for anyone who already received the secondary, are there any prompts? Thanks!

Yeah there are 5 prompts. Each of them have a 600 character limit. There is also a section where you have to show that you have all of their prerequisite classes by marking the course name, when you took it, the grade, etc. It's only a $50 application fee which is pretty cheap compared to most other schools! haha

Yeah there are 5 prompts. Each of them have a 600 character limit. There is also a section where you have to show that you have all of their prerequisite classes by marking the course name, when you took it, the grade, etc. It's only a $50 application fee which is pretty cheap compared to most other schools! haha

could you post the prompts?

All 600 characters

What about our medical school attracted you to apply to CMSRU? (600 characters)
What specifically about you makes you a good choice in the inaugural class of a medical school? (600 characters)
What is your biggest concern about attending medical school?
What issues make healthcare a challenge in the CMSRU community and how can you contribute to a solution here?
Tell us something about you that does not come through in the AMCAS application.

Thanks! Im really excited about this school!

Thanks! Im really excited about this school!
When did you submit your secondary? I submitted mine July 19th because I added this school in the AMCAS later and received the secondary late.

Interview invite!

Congratulations on the Interview! I'm hoping to get one too! I submitted my supplemental a couple of days after they sent it to me on July 19th. They mentioned in the email that they would prefer people to submit them within 2 weeks of receiving a secondary invite so I guess they are reviewing them in batches? Did anyone receive an interview that got their secondary on the 19th?

Come on Cooper, show me some love :luck:

Everyone with an interview so far, congrats!!! You mind if I ask what your stats are?

Anyone else want to share an update on this school ? And also share your stats, I want to apply to Copper next year, and it would nice to get some data on this school.

Anyone else want to share an update on this school ? And also share your stats, I want to apply to Copper next year, and it would nice to get some data on this school.
Received an interview invite 7/27.
33Q (8V, 12P, 13B), 3.82 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA.
NJ resident.

Just make sure you spell it right! xD

Hey guys. I'm a little confused...I just went to make my fee payment, and it took me to another page where it looks like I have to complete a whole application for graduate programs? Am I supposed to fill that out? I feel like that is not even the same application...Did you guys have this problem when you went to submit fee payment?

No, I didn't have that problem. I think I just submitted and that was it.

No, I didn't have that problem. I think I just submitted and that was it.

Yeah same thing for me. From what I remember it took you to another site where you enter your billing information and that was it. On a side note. Has anyone from out of NJ (specifically PA) received an interview yet?

NJ resident here. I was complete on 7/24, 31R and 3.45 gpa..still no invite :/

I just got this email....

Dear Firstname
We have been notified that a recent SunGard Systems software release has created an error in our payment system. We appreciate your patience as we update AMP to ensure that the payment process is fully compliant, and we will contact you with instructions as soon as all software upgrades are in place.
Please be reassured that you are still very early in the application process, and your file will be reviewed immediately upon resolution of this technical problem. Our system error will in no way have a negative impact on your application. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this delay may have caused you.

However, I still have not received a secondary yet. Probably because I am OOS and don't have the greatest MCAT, but this may be good news? I was verified on 7/15.

I think that they are still working out some kinks in their software program. There was a brief issue with my application. The staff is wonderfully helpful.

I just got this email today:

"We are happy to report that the payment system has been repaired, and you should now be able to complete your application. We regret this disruption in the process, and we appreciate your understanding as we navigate new software (including the errors present in our last correspondence with you)."

Anyone else that didn't get a secondary get this? The wording kind of sounds like they sent me a secondary already....

interview invite! excerpt from the email:
" Each interview date will be a Friday, and will be limited to 24 students. Once you have submitted your choice, you will receive an email confirming your selected dates.
Interviews will begin on September 16th!"

interview invite! excerpt from the email:
" Each interview date will be a Friday, and will be limited to 24 students. Once you have submitted your choice, you will receive an email confirming your selected dates.
Interviews will begin on September 16th!"
May I ask when you were complete?

Ok so I just checked my status online and under "action" it says "email interview." However, I haven't gotten an email! That was on 7/26th. I can't actually click on it like I can click on the other ones so I guess they just haven't gotten around to sending me the actual invite yet!?

someone make my day and tell me I'm been invited for an interview please! :laugh:

Ok so I just checked my status online and under "action" it says "email interview." However, I haven't gotten an email! That was on 7/26th. I can't actually click on it like I can click on the other ones so I guess they just haven't gotten around to sending me the actual invite yet!?

someone make my day and tell me I'm been invited for an interview please! :laugh:
maybe the email went to spam?

maybe the email went to spam?

That's what I originally thought but then I noticed that I was able to read all prior emails they have sent me on the site. this interview status was the only one I was not able to do that with. I'll have to call on Monday

Did you see the "action" menu on the same site as the secondary? When I log in there is no action menu, or any indication of what my status might be :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.