2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Anyone send in their fee just before the long weekend?? Hear anything yet?

By this I presume you mean whether we've gotten the LoR email?

I paid on 6/29 and got the "Fee Received" email on 6/30 and I haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad.

For everybody worried about the 2 semester OChem lab, I emailed them back because my school only has one semester of a 2 credit OChem lab and no corresponding lab with the second semester of OChem lecture. I responded to the email explaining, and they told me that the one semester lab should suffice and I got a LOR request shortly after.

For everybody worried about the 2 semester OChem lab, I emailed them back because my school only has one semester of a 2 credit OChem lab and no corresponding lab with the second semester of OChem lecture. I responded to the email explaining, and they told me that the one semester lab should suffice and I got a LOR request shortly after.

weird, i had a similar situation but they never replied

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Anyone send in their fee just before the long weekend?? Hear anything yet?

I paid online on Friday, July 1st and received an email confirmation within minutes, but have not heard anything else about my fees since then. I am assuming the 'Fees Received' email everyone is talking about is different from the payment confirmation email, right?

LoR Request just received, whew...that was a close one.

LOR request here! Fee received 6/22

Congrats!

I had a spam message that I hoped was an interview invite (my LOR request e-mail was in the spam folder), but it was an advertisement for male enhancement. Blast.

Congrats to everyone who has received it!

LeoGer, I too was spammed this morning, but instead it was by Princeton Review. No, I do not want to take a MCAT review course. Yes, I am completely serious.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOR request! Fee received 6/22

LOR request here too. Pleasantly surprised, I assumed it was a rejection.

Does anyone know when Mayo usually starts inviting for interviews? Seems like a ton of LOR requests have gone out so just curious. :)

Does anyone know when Mayo usually starts inviting for interviews? Seems like a ton of LOR requests have gone out so just curious. :)

The last two years, the first interview invites went out around the 17th of July.

In last year's Mayo thread, the first interview invite was July 31. But the year before that, the first interview invite was mid-July.

I believe the next step is the confirmation that your LOR have been received. Last year, that was the next e-mail I received

I believe the next step is the confirmation that your LOR have been received. Last year, that was the next e-mail I received

You're right, my bad. Confirmation last year was mid-July, invites by the end of July.

You're right, my bad. Confirmation last year was mid-July, invites by the end of July.
Great, thanks for the info. :thumbup: Guess we all have some waiting to do then!

Has anyone who submitted in June not received an LOR request? Just wondering about the value of the request, as nearly everyone seems to be getting them (everyone being the 15 people posting to this forum).

Has anyone who submitted in June not received an LOR request? Just wondering about the value of the request, as nearly everyone seems to be getting them (everyone being the 15 people posting to this forum).

in your boat dude

Maybe we're a really exceptional 15.

If it matters, I haven't received a LOR request either with a 3.9 37M fee paid day they sent the email. Cole (aka NickNaylor) didn't get one last year till the 14th of July with a 4.0 40... not sure whether to give up hope or not but i still think its a little early....

If it matters, I haven't received a LOR request either with a 3.9 37M fee paid day they sent the email. Cole (aka NickNaylor) didn't get one last year till the 14th of July with a 4.0 40... not sure whether to give up hope or not but i still think its a little early....

To add another data point, I paid the fee on 6/21 and have yet to receive a LOR request so they certainly aren't going to everyone.

Any ideas on whether more will go out late tonight?

I felt pretty special when I received mine, but seeing the deluge of everyone else made me think that Mayo has changed its game plan of only inviting 20% of people past this stage.

I felt pretty special when I received mine, but seeing the deluge of everyone else made me think that Mayo has changed its game plan of only inviting 20% of people past this stage.

Same here.

Maybe not...there are a lot of exceptional people on SDN.

Maybe not...there are a lot of exceptional people on SDN.

The proportions should still somewhat represent the general pop. So if only 20% of the gen pop gets a LOR request, maybe 50% of SDN does. Not somewhere around 90% lol.

I understand the desire for anonymity, but I wish you'd all create an MDapp. Just a general idea of everyone's GPA, MCAT and ECs would be helpful for comparative purposes.

I understand the desire for anonymity, but I wish you'd all create an MDapp. Just a general idea of everyone's GPA, MCAT and ECs would be helpful for comparative purposes.

+1. No LOR request here by the way. If I've learned anything from SDN, its that the admissions process is nuts and makes little logical sense. Good luck to everyone!

I don't know - I see MDapps and start fretting. :laugh:

+1. No LOR request here by the way. If I've learned anything from SDN, its that the admissions process is nuts and makes little logical sense. Good luck to everyone!

Agreed. Have a gander at the pandemonium on the GWU thread to get a sense of the randomness with the notion that pre-interview hold = pretty much screwed.

You've attended six different schools. I'm very impressed.

You've attended six different schools. I'm very impressed.

Thanks, I think. I was in the military for a while and tried to keep up on my emergency medicine by taking online courses from Western Carolina in emergency medicine, and AMCAS counts military schools as a separate institution, so that's two. I'm also so old that :smuggrin: I had to go back and re-take or take all of the medical school pre-reqs again at another institution. They add up quick when you bounce around a lot. AMCAS credits me with 260+ undergraduate credit hours. I'm pretty sure I could fail a semesters worth of courses and my GPA wouldn't move. Kind of ridiculous, actually.

Thanks, I think. I was in the military for a while and tried to keep up on my emergency medicine by taking online courses from Western Carolina in emergency medicine, and AMCAS counts military schools as a separate institution, so that's two. I'm also so old that :smuggrin: I had to go back and re-take or take all of the medical school pre-reqs again at another institution. They add up quick when you bounce around a lot. AMCAS credits me with 260+ undergraduate credit hours. I'm pretty sure I could fail a semesters worth of courses and my GPA wouldn't move. Kind of ridiculous, actually.

That's an extraordinary journey. Are you using a health professions scholarship to get you through med school?

That's an extraordinary journey. Are you using a health professions scholarship to get you through med school?

Thanks. :D. I am talking to a recruiter, but haven't committed to anything. Feeling it all out as it were.

Added my profile # just for you. ;)

Since you asked so nicely...

I was hoping to have ignited my first on-line relationship, but this day is filled with disappointment. You married tease.

Sorry to disappoint. Try craigslist, that's where I met him.

No LoR request here yet...sigh...then again, this was a long shot so I'm not terribly surprised. Keeping my :xf: for those waiting!

When I received the "Fee Received" email, it stated, "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS."

Anyone know if this is the equivalent of a LOR request? Or if they might have accessed my LORs but have not notified me because they were already in?

Thanks

When I received the "Fee Received" email, it stated, "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS."

Anyone know if this is the equivalent of a LOR request? Or if they might have accessed my LORs but have not notified me because they were already in?

Thanks

This is not equivalent. They send a separate email stating that they are requesting your letters.

Thanks

Sorry, but it's not the same.

Thanks

Nope, the LOR request looks different:

Dear Snuke,

Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference. Please note that if you have sent your letters to AMCAS prior to receiving this notification, you do not need to resend them. This email is letting you know that we will now begin retrieving your letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.