2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha Imagine it would go something like this...

I LOVE MAYO,...OMG YOU GUYS ARE LIKE THE BESTIS....MAYO IS PERFECT

Oh hey BTWs you guys really fckd up with my whole cancer thing

Nah, it wasn't so bad - they were one of six that couldn't figure it out. I had an atypical for an atypical juvenile melanoma - NYU eventually found it in an obscure reference book.

But yes, I shall definitely not mention it to Mayo. To NYU, though, maybe. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, it wasn't so bad - they were one of six that couldn't figure it out. I had an atypical for an atypical juvenile melanoma - NYU eventually found it in an obscure reference book.

But yes, I shall definitely not mention it to Mayo. To NYU, though, maybe. :laugh:

=) hopefully your ok!

=) hopefully your ok!

I am, thanks! All cleared up and everything, just watch your sunscreen and don't go to tanning salons! (Not that I did, but those are the typical risky behaviors).

Members don't see this ad :)
zzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Update

Quote Nick Naylor Last years thread
"Hey guys! I'm currently on the shuttle back to MSP from Rochester and thought I'd pass along some info that might be useful. My apologies if anything has been said before.

As far as the interview day goes, you'll have two interviews of 30 minutes; both will be with members of the admissions committee. There's also some "explore Mayo time" which is essentially free time, and everyone had about ~1.5 hours of this over the course of the day. Everyone seemed to agree that the interviews were VERY relaxed. Everyone's interviews were done at 2:30, and the last 30 minutes was a quick talk by the chair of the admissions committee (I left early to catch the shuttle, so if you're worried about transportation issues, just let the staff know).

For those of you that have interviewed, they shared some info that might be of use to you. They've sent out ~15 acceptances thus far; decisions go out biweekly, but the committee meets to review and rank people weekly. If you've interviewed and haven't been ranked, it's more than likely due to one of your interviewers being absent at the committee meeting. They won't discuss/rank you if one of your interviewers is absent. As far as the rest of the season goes, they're planning on sending out ~50 acceptances by the start of the new year. After that, all acceptances will be to replace those that withdraw (i.e., when one person withdraws, another acceptance will go out to replace that person). Marcy said they expect to send out ~75 acceptances total from the ~300 people that interview. As far as other numbers go, they received ~4200 applications and requested LORs from ~1600 applicants.

As far as my opinions/suggestions, I would DEFINITELY try and stay a couple of days and hang out with the students if at all possible and explore as much of Rochester as possible. That's really what sold me - Nerday and SortaBigDeal are incredible, so definitely try and meet them if you can (didn't get a chance to meet bamtuba). The insight from students is extremely valuable, and a lot of the stuff I talked about with them wasn't mentioned on the interview day."

So it looks like we vastly underestimated the number of LOR requests that go out

Good news, but that makes the interviews even more precious.

Great repost!

Thats what you get when applications make your neurotic

Tell me about it. I read most of last year's thread, but I stopped somewhere in the middle. Guess I shall take it up again. :p

Tell me about it. I read most of last year's thread, but I stopped somewhere in the middle. Guess I shall take it up again. :p

I started reading around oct 15th....Thats when the fun and motivating posts come

No LOR request lol.
But rejection ~~~:p

It was my top choice.
My MCAT 32M GPA 3.86

Congrats! Early morning email, like all the rest? - blife

Aw, sorry to hear that, Duon89! Good luck at your other schools. With your stats, your chances are quite good to get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
No LOR request lol.
But rejection ~~~:p

It was my top choice.
My MCAT 32M GPA 3.86

Dang! Your numbers are plenty good enough to get in somewhere else, FWIW, and unless you only applied to Mayo and the Canadian schools it's sure to be somewhere warmer. :)

35/3.9 rejected:p O well.

*gulp*

i guess welcome to the process, huh? it seems like trying to understand the patterns just results in fail... definitely worried now though :xf:

To clarify: I was rejected Pre-LOR. My MCAT score is unbalanced, though(14,12,9,M:() Not feeling too bad since Mayo was not one of my top choices anyway. Best of luck to the rest of you:luck:

From what I understand, Mayo cares less about a balanced MCAT and more about ECs.

Good luck - that's an interesting MCAT, but I'm sure you'll get in.

Also rejected 37M 3.9....maybe im not quite as well rounded an applicant as i thought i was...

To clarify: I was rejected Pre-LOR. My MCAT score is unbalanced, though(14,12,9,M:() Not feeling too bad since Mayo was not one of my top choices anyway. Best of luck to the rest of you:luck:

I also have 9 verbal..
Maybe they want a 10 or above each section

I also have 9 verbal..
Maybe they want a 10 or above each section

I had a 9 in verbal and got the LOR request last year and this year, so I don't think they have any hard cut-offs

:( to all those who got rejected today

ahh what the heck, i was fee received 6/22 and still havent heard back, just that im 'under review'. what could this meannnnn. i just want to know one way or the other lol

Is there a place we can check our status?? Or are you saying that you just received an email saying you were under review?

so if i haven't gotten a LOR request and i turned in my fee like 3 weeks ago does that mean i'm pretty much out?

Can't stand to see Mayo on the second page, AzDoc? :laugh:

I agree - still waiting for my LOR received email. It's been two weeks now, so hopefully it should come any day.

No, citrusguy, it doesn't mean anything other than they've received a lot more applications this year. With Mayo, no news is good news. They won't leave you in the dark.

I am applying to Mayo this year. Haven't received any email back.

I'm in the same position, but they do seem to be sending out rejections. So I'm trying not to lose hope, lol.

so if i haven't gotten a LOR request and i turned in my fee like 3 weeks ago does that mean i'm pretty much out?
I'm in the same position as you... Trying to fight the urge to call and see what's up
I'm in the same position, but they do seem to be sending out rejections. So I'm trying not to lose hope, lol.

You guys are not without hope. On last year's thread, there were several people who had to wait about two weeks (for some unknown reason) for LOR requests, and a few of them went on to get interview invitations. I suspect, with this year being ranked on USNEWS rankings, they're getting even more applications. The complete emails are also coming later.

We just need to take a breath. We're on Mayo time.

Last edited:
Do we expect a complete email on a night like this????? Maybe sometime soon?

AGGG I just want interviews to come out so I know whether to stop dreaming

For the record, last year I received the complete e-mail in the afternoon at 4:00pm

So I'm still not sure about this...can Mayo access my letters even if I haven't assigned them to Mayo?

So I'm still not sure about this...can Mayo access my letters even if I haven't assigned them to Mayo?

Mayo will get your letters only if you assign them to the school. Logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.