2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Will Mayo tell you when they have received your LORs?

Also, where is the information published that Mayo only requests LORs from 20% of its applicants? Just curious...

Will Mayo tell you when they have received your LORs?

Also, where is the information published that Mayo only requests LORs from 20% of its applicants? Just curious...

Yes to the first - there will be a separate email saying that they've received your LORs. Then there will be another email a few weeks later with an interview invite.

I got that information from last year's thread, which was reposted from the year before, which was found by a Mayo student (I believe, or from the Mayo Admissions office). Those are rough numbers based on the class of 2013, but it's good for an estimate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look like Mayo is offering way more LOR requests than last year?

What does Mayo think about update letters/letters of Intent

It is what it is, and barring someone actually communicating w/Mayo, it's all speculation...let's just hope for interview invites soon :luck:

Could be selection bias (this is SDN, afterall, home of top tier neurotic premeds). Alternatively, maybe it has more applicants this year due to its participation in USNWR?

It is what it is, and barring someone actually communicating w/Mayo, it's all speculation...let's just hope for interview invites soon :luck:

You first. :p

The proportions should still somewhat represent the general pop. So if only 20% of the gen pop gets a LOR request, maybe 50% of SDN does. Not somewhere around 90% lol.

Well there could be bias in that itself. People are more reluctant to post if they got the letters. It could therefore look like a lot of people are getting it. Sorry, I'm just trying to pump myself up on the LOR request. :laugh:

People are more likely to post about good news than bad.

People are more likely to post about good news than bad.

True. I haven't gotten an LoR request, and I haven't posted but once about it. I'm holding out hope, but I got my fee verified email on 6/22.

Members don't see this ad :)
(insert question/statement/declaration of love because I dislike seeing Mayo on the second page)

(insert question/statement/declaration of love because I dislike seeing Mayo on the second page)

I had a dream about mayo last night. There was way too much of it on my hamburger. Then I woke up really wishing I had been accepted to Mayo.

So, I got the letter request email today from Mayo. Within the email it said

"Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference"

If all my letters are uploaded through AMCAS and sent to Mayo via AMCAS, is it a big deal if my ID is not on the letter (the letter is still signed, official letterhead)? I know a few of my letters have this information but I don't know for certain if my other writers bothered putting the ID on the letter?

Thanks!

So, I got the letter request email today from Mayo. Within the email it said

"Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference"

If all my letters are uploaded through AMCAS and sent to Mayo via AMCAS, is it a big deal if my ID is not on the letter (the letter is still signed, official letterhead)? I know a few of my letters have this information but I don't know for certain if my other writers bothered putting the ID on the letter?

Thanks!
Merging with Mayo School-Specific Discussion Thread for this cycle.

When Mayo is retrieving letters, does that mean they're retrieving all of your letters in AMCAS? or only the ones you assign to them?

I'm just a little confused if I should be assigning any letters to them if they're just going to grab them all on their own. Thanks!

Letters only go to the schools that you assign them to.

Got my LOR request last night! Good luck to everyone else...I think there are a bunch more LOR requests going out this year though.

Got my LOR request last night! Good luck to everyone else...I think there are a bunch more LOR requests going out this year though.

Congrats! When did you get the Fee Received email? Just wondering if I still have hope :)

Just paid my fee and got the confirmation email . . . I love you Mayo, please love me back:love:

Has anyone received a confirmation that your LORs were received?

Hello everyone! I am excited to have you all to worry and discuss with this summer/fall. Good luck to everyone. Got my 2:30 am email with a LOR request! So incredibly excited:

Paid: 05/7
LOR request: 09/7

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I got an SDN account pretty much only to contribute to this thread. Mayo is my first choice, and I am excited to have you all to worry and discuss with this summer/fall. Good luck to everyone. Got my 2:30 am email with a LOR request! So incredibly excited:

mind sharing mcat/gpa?

:welcome:

Hello everyone! I got an SDN account pretty much only to contribute to this thread. Mayo is my first choice, and I am excited to have you all to worry and discuss with this summer/fall. Good luck to everyone. Got my 2:30 am email with a LOR request! So incredibly excited:

LOR request on a Sunday? :confused: Congrats!

In case anyone still needs a shred of hope, my payment was confirmed 6/22 and I just called the admissions office this morning and they said that my file is under review and I would hear within the next couple of weeks. Of course I could be rejected already and that's just when they send out rejections, but there is the chance that people who paid early are still "under review".

Do we expect to see Interveiw invites and rejections this week?

Do we expect to see Interveiw invites and rejections this week?

I don't think it'll be that soon, considering that Mayo apparently hasn't sent anyone a confirmation of receipt for LOR's yet :(

We can probably expect LOR received emails within 1-2 weeks, invites by the end of the month. This is all variable, of course, just the pattern from the last two years.

We can probably expect LOR received emails within 1-2 weeks, invites by the end of the month. This is all variable, of course, just the pattern from the last two years.

Maybe I'm imagining things but didn't invites come out in the middle of July?

They came out mid-July the year before last, but then not until late July last year. But you can't get an interview invite until they acknowledge receipt of your LORs.

Two years ago, one or two did, but last year there was nothing until the end of the month.

So, realistically, we could hear anything any day now, but probably not for another week or so.

Yeah. Mayo being included in the US News ranking is probably resulting in an increase of applicants from last year. Things will probably slow down just a bit.

Yeah. Mayo being included in the US News ranking is probably resulting in an increase of applicants from last year. Things will probably slow down just a bit.

Good point. I just wonder if they're going to interview more people now, or be more stringent in what they want.

Seriously, though - who doesn't know Mayo? If you're applying because they're ranked now, then you do not have enough Mayo Love.

If any Mayo person is reading this, I swear - I will name my firstborn after Mayo. Boy or girl - it's equally inappropriate and awesome.

Good point. I just wonder if they're going to interview more people now, or be more stringent in what they want.

Seriously, though - who doesn't know Mayo? If you're applying because they're ranked now, then you do not have enough Mayo Love.

If any Mayo person is reading this, I swear - I will name my firstborn after Mayo. Boy or girl - it's equally inappropriate and awesome.

Haha I was born at mayo...so hopfully that give my resume a lil boost

Haha I was born at mayo...so hopfully that give my resume a lil boost

I'm not jelly. Not at all.

At least you have a conversation starter! The only connection I have to Mayo is that the path lab couldn't recognize my cancer cells - but I don't suppose that I will be bringing up that nugget of information if I'm lucky enough to get an interview.

I'm not jelly. Not at all.

At least you have a conversation starter! The only connection I have to Mayo is that the path lab couldn't recognize my cancer cells - but I don't suppose that I will be bringing up that nugget of information if I'm lucky enough to get an interview.

Haha Imagine it would go something like this...

I LOVE MAYO,...OMG YOU GUYS ARE LIKE THE BESTIS....MAYO IS PERFECT

Oh hey BTWs you guys really fckd up with my whole cancer thing

Status
Not open for further replies.