You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
do you guys think I can make a 6pm flight if I leave straight after the interview? i want to avoid staying an extra day, especially since I cant find a host right now because of fall break (I think?)
yes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to apply to this school now and have a question. The UPenn website says that 10/15 is the last day to apply, but AMCAS says that the last date to apply is 11/1 and would allow me to apply there. Which one is it?
10/15 to add the school to AMCAS, 11/1 to turn in secondary
10/15 to add the school to AMCAS, 11/1 to turn in secondary
Looks like I missed it then 🙁
Anyone have any idea roughly what dates they are scheduling interviews for now? I've seen for some schools that they are already booking for December, and that gets me nervous given that some schools only interview till Jan/Feb :-/
I don't know what dates they're scheduling now, but this is a list of all the dates Penn interviews:
9/29, 10/5, 10/6, 10/7, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, 10/19, 10/20, 10/21, 1/26, 10/27, 11/2, 11/4, 11/9, 11/10, 11/11, 11/16, 11/16/ 11/17, 11/18, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/14, 12/15, 12/16, 1/4, 1/6, 1/11, 1/13, 1/18, 1/20
That's plenty. At my interview day there were like 24 applicants there.
9/29, 10/5, 10/6, 10/7, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, 10/19, 10/20, 10/21, 1/26, 10/27, 11/2, 11/4, 11/9, 11/10, 11/11, 11/16, 11/16/ 11/17, 11/18, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/14, 12/15, 12/16, 1/4, 1/6, 1/11, 1/13, 1/18, 1/20
That's plenty. At my interview day there were like 24 applicants there.
I don't know what dates they're scheduling now, but this is a list of all the dates Penn interviews:
9/29, 10/5, 10/6, 10/7, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, 10/19, 10/20, 10/21, 1/26, 10/27, 11/2, 11/4, 11/9, 11/10, 11/11, 11/16, 11/16/ 11/17, 11/18, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/14, 12/15, 12/16, 1/4, 1/6, 1/11, 1/13, 1/18, 1/20
That's plenty. At my interview day there were like 24 applicants there.
150 spots. Do the math kids.
Good luck 😉
150 spots. Do the math kids.
Good luck 😉
33*24 = 792. FYI.
I'm guessing (totally arbitrary) that they give out 200% of the spots they have, so.... 38%. Not terrible.
March is a long ways away... I absolutely LOVED the interview day and school here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At this point I'm doing the same for this school as I am for Mayo - assuming I didn't get in.
If I do get in it will be a very happy surprise. If not, no dashed hopes. 👍
33*24 = 792. FYI.
I'm guessing (totally arbitrary) that they give out 200% of the spots they have, so.... 38%. Not terrible.
March is a long ways away... I absolutely LOVED the interview day and school here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At this point I'm doing the same for this school as I am for Mayo - assuming I didn't get in.
If I do get in it will be a very happy surprise. If not, no dashed hopes. 👍
Not a bad estimate. Last year: 254 offers, 872 interviewed (29%).
Does anyone know if UPenn accepts file updates prior to an II? If so, in what format? Thank you!
Does anyone know if UPenn accepts file updates prior to an II? If so, in what format? Thank you!
On the application website, there's a place for correspondence, where you can also review whether your letters of rec have been received.
When I asked them about updates at the interview, this was how they suggested communicating with the admissions office.
On the application website, there's a place for correspondence, where you can also review whether your letters of rec have been received.
When I asked them about updates at the interview, this was how they suggested communicating with the admissions office.
Thank you!
Complete 10/10, interview invite today! (!!!)
Interviewing 11/18.. Anyone else interviewing that day?
Conrgats. I've been complete since 8/18 and heard nothing 🙁.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Conrgats. I've been complete since 8/18 and heard nothing 🙁.
Keep the faith! They seem to issue invites only 1-2 weeks beforehand, so it could come at any time..
Complete 10/10, interview invite today! (!!!)
Interviewing 11/18.. Anyone else interviewing that day?
Would you mind sharing stats?
Would you mind sharing stats?
I was fortunate to have done well on the MCAT and my undergraduate GPA was >3.8.
It does seem like the raw numbers make a big difference for interview invites, especially when applying late in the cycle like I did. The ECs and LORs increase in importance when during your application's final review post-interview. Haven't even gone on my first interview yet, though, so these are just my impressions. Good luck!
Interview invite! Super excited!
Anyone have any idea roughly what dates they are scheduling interviews for now? I've seen for some schools that they are already booking for December, and that gets me nervous given that some schools only interview till Jan/Feb :-/
They are scheduling November 16,17,18 I believe.
Complete 10/10, interview invite today! (!!!)
Interviewing 11/18.. Anyone else interviewing that day?
I was complete ~Sept 20, interview invite today
I am interviewing on the 18th too! You staying the night before and after? I am as I am traveling from a far!
😳
I was complete ~Sept 20, interview invite today
I am interviewing on the 18th too! You staying the night before and after? I am as I am traveling from a far!
😳
Congrats! You've been doing well!
Anyone interviewing on the 16th?
Congrats! You've been doing well!
thanks!!
I'm still waiting on so many schools! I applied later in the cycle (Sept-Oct) so I don't expect to hear too much yet. I've had 5 invites and attended 2 now.
🙂🙂
Good luck!!
Invite! Scheduled for the 16th
Do you mind sharing when you were complete? Thanks!
after perusing last year's thread...I realized we are rapidly approaching deferment D-Day...not to be a debbie downer...just trying to prepare myself and give anyone else in my shoes a heads up.
after perusing last year's thread...I realized we are rapidly approaching deferment D-Day...not to be a debbie downer...just trying to prepare myself and give anyone else in my shoes a heads up.
What exactly was that? Post-interview deferral, or application holds?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What exactly was that? Post-interview deferral, or application holds?
The majority of complete applicants who had not yet been invited to interview had status change to "complete-you have not been invited for interview but may be rereviewed at a later date" or the like. Pre-Interview hold... Silent rejection?
D
deleted401746
The majority of complete applicants who had not yet been invited to interview had status change to "complete-you have not been invited for interview but may be rereviewed at a later date" or the like. Pre-Interview hold... Silent rejection?
Hmm...I submitted my app in early July, and mine says:
Complete
Your application is now in the screening process. Complete applications will go through a series of competitive screenings. Interviews will begin in September and continue into January, 2012. Applicants invited for interviews will be notified via email. The Committee on Admissions will make all final decisions in March, 2012.
Looks like I missed it then 🙁
No, the secondary deadline is Nov 15th. HURRY, GOGOGO!
Hmm...I submitted my app in early July, and mine says:
Complete
Your application is now in the screening process. Complete applications will go through a series of competitive screenings. Interviews will begin in September and continue into January, 2012. Applicants invited for interviews will be notified via email. The Committee on Admissions will make all final decisions in March, 2012.
submitted late July and have the same message. penn has been silent for over 3 months now whereas ppl who have submitted after me like in september have interviews.... do u think this means i didnt make the cut? 🙁
Anyone who has interviewed know the process for being notified of acceptance/wl/rejected?
Also, anyone have any comments on the interviews themselves or the whole day?
Acceptances are posted on the website and mailed out March 15. Waitlists are also posted around january. Interviews are within a month of being complete (some rare exceptions apply)
The interviews are very laid back. You will get a professor and a third or fourth year student. You will be part of lab demonstrations, lectures and other presentations.
Acceptances are posted on the website and mailed out March 15. Waitlists are also posted around january. Interviews are within a month of being complete (some rare exceptions apply)
The interviews are very laid back. You will get a professor and a third or fourth year student. You will be part of lab demonstrations, lectures and other presentations.
1) This means people who hear nothing after Jan are either accepted or rejected?
2) I got a second year student.
I was complete mid september, not sure of exact date.
Congrats. As for me, I was complete early August, so are things not looking good for me? (i.e., silent rejection?)
If you interviewed:
1- No news until march 15 (acceptance, rejection) unless you get waitlisted.
2- Penn's waitlist is considered the "kiss of death" because they hardly accept anyone from it. If you get invited to Second Look and were waitlisted, it is a signal that you are very seriously being considered for admission and some people do get invited every year.
If you did not get an interview within a month or so of being complete, you will likely get a rejection in march. Very few people get invites after mid january.
Penn does not send rejections after interviews. You will either get waitlisted or hear something in march.
1- No news until march 15 (acceptance, rejection) unless you get waitlisted.
2- Penn's waitlist is considered the "kiss of death" because they hardly accept anyone from it. If you get invited to Second Look and were waitlisted, it is a signal that you are very seriously being considered for admission and some people do get invited every year.
If you did not get an interview within a month or so of being complete, you will likely get a rejection in march. Very few people get invites after mid january.
Penn does not send rejections after interviews. You will either get waitlisted or hear something in march.
Congrats. As for me, I was complete early August, so are things not looking good for me? (i.e., silent rejection?)
I wouldn't say that. I was complete back in July and just got an interview invite today. Nothing is written in stone.
Congratulations on your invite!
If you interviewed:
1- No news until march 15 (acceptance, rejection) unless you get waitlisted.
2- Penn's waitlist is considered the "kiss of death" because they hardly accept anyone from it. If you get invited to Second Look and were waitlisted, it is a signal that you are very seriously being considered for admission and some people do get invited every year.
If you did not get an interview within a month or so of being complete, you will likely get a rejection in march. Very few people get invites after mid january.
Penn does not send rejections after interviews. You will either get waitlisted or hear something in march.
I actually disagree with your comment about Penn's waitlist. I've met several people in the current first year class who came in off of the waitlist, myself included. Not saying like 20+, but definitely 5-10 that I know of.
I actually disagree with your comment about Penn's waitlist. I've met several people in the current first year class who came in off of the waitlist, myself included. Not saying like 20+, but definitely 5-10 that I know of.
Sorry, but I think that accepting less than 20 off the waitlist is close to "hardly any", especially considering the hundreds of students that Penn interviews. Some other schools waitlists are rather fluid and sometimes almost half of the admitted students may come from the waitlist.
Anyway, this year may be different.

The majority of complete applicants who had not yet been invited to interview had status change to "complete-you have not been invited for interview but may be rereviewed at a later date" or the like. Pre-Interview hold... Silent rejection?
Is this true? I (as well as the two people above me) have the "complete, in screening process status"
Is this true? I (as well as the two people above me) have the "complete, in screening process status"
My status remains the same also. I was just reading last year's thread and the discussion implied that on the 15th of November, and the week following, a good number of applicants' statuses changed from what we are reading now, to what I posted earlier. I was complete in mid august and have not heard anything. But I am not giving up hope!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I began reading on the bottom of the following page... right around November 15th 2010. Hope this helps. If you read through the next couple pages, some interviews seemed to have gone out. No sense in losing hope until there is nothing left to hope for.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728379&page=5
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728379&page=5
I stayed with my host for two nights (granted I had met him once before because he graduated from my undergrad institution). I ended up staying two because of a traveling complication though. Try asking. Many of the students are super nice and will let you, but they are also all very busy so don't be heartbroken if they don't.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K