2011-2012 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you get an invite to go to Merlin for the Texas Tech schools? thanks!

Nope, you can go ahead and create your own Merlin account here: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/Merlin/Syste...?ReturnUrl=/merlin/System/Secure/Default.aspx

Once you create your account, you can log back in here: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/merlin/

Members don't see this ad.

Just sent my primary and payment to Texas schools. My MCAT scores won't be in until August 9, though. Is that too late since they're already viewing apps?

If you've already gotten all your primary apps in and if they will be finished processing by Aug 9th (which takes 5-6 weeks) then you're still ahead of the game! My apps were transmitted right around then and I had interviews in mid September which was still way early enough for me to get a couple pre-matches on Nov 15th. Don't fret! It's not as big of a deal as you think. As long as your apps are transmitted by Sept 1st you should be good :) but definitely finish the secondaries!!

So just some news from looking at the thread from last year

The invites really started to pour in once late july early august hit. so still time to go here. Although one person did get an invite during this time last year

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats all three of ya

Anyone know if this school, together with UTHSC, take a long time to notify that they have received your primary app? Only UT Southwestern sent an email after the app was transmitted by TMDSAS.

Anyone know if this school, together with UTHSC, take a long time to notify that they have received your primary app? Only UT Southwestern sent an email after the app was transmitted by TMDSAS.

When did you transmitt TMDSAS?

and UTHSC will not notify you about your app. Only southwestern and San Antonio

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite for 08/08 also!! Got it at work earlier, best surprise ever lol

Congrats!! Here's to hoping those of us that are waiting to get an interview get an invite tommorow. :xf:

Congrats everyone!!! Man, I hate the waiting game!

I was transmitted 6/22 and received notification from UTSA on 7/8. So it took a little over 2 weeks.

I have a few friends who applied around the same time as me. Some with higher stats, some with lower, some with about the same. Nobody I know in real life has recieved an interview invite yet to any Texas schools. On SDN, a lot of the same people are racking up invites. I think most of these people submitted mid to late May.

What is the status of some of you who transmitted on or around 6/10?

I submitted 5/25 and was transmitted on 6/2. I know that's earlier than you are asking for, but I just wanted to contribute something.

I have a few friends who applied around the same time as me. Some with higher stats, some with lower, some with about the same. Nobody I know in real life has recieved an interview invite yet to any Texas schools. On SDN, a lot of the same people are racking up invites. I think most of these people submitted mid to late May.

i submitted late may, but transcripts didnt get in till june 20th

I submitted thenish but didn't get transmitted till 7/5?

Congrats everyone on getting interviews. Looks like today has been an eventful day for interview invites throughout Texas!

anyone know when the interview day ends based on previous years? trying to book my flight right now before prices go up.

Congrats to y'all with the early interviews. I did research at UTHSCSA and live in SA. I am reapplying for a third time here. Let's hope I get an interview this year. I wouldn't mind stayin in SA for four more years, plus I have met some of the profs and students and they seemed to really want to help me become a student there.

i got my app transmitted 6/22.

got Paul L foster interview so far. A&m is "under review" on BAMF

That's comforting to know that none of your real life contacts have received an interview yet. Because I haven't either and I submitted in May. I'm keeping in mind that it's still very early in the season, and the schools are flooded with apps.

That's comforting to know that none of your real life contacts have received an interview yet. Because I haven't either and I submitted in May. I'm keeping in mind that it's still very early in the season, and the schools are flooded with apps.

When you apply has only a mild correlation to when you get an interview invite from what I've seen and been told over the years. I think some people assume that if people who submitted after them get an invite and they didnt that it means the school looked at their application and threw it out, which is often not the case.

Please give me an interview !!!:xf:

Is interview like, a deal breaker? For example, if you don't do well during interview, can you be rejected even though your whole application is really strong?

This whole processing is so long and stressful, to come to this pointing of waiting for interview is like feeling so close yet so far. Worried if mess up the interview, have to start all over again next year.

does san antonio do student housing? would love to stay with a student the night before

Is interview like, a deal breaker? For example, if you don't do well during interview, can you be rejected even though your whole application is really strong?

This whole processing is so long and stressful, to come to this pointing of waiting for interview is like feeling so close yet so far. Worried if mess up the interview, have to start all over again next year.

Kinda yes, kinda no. And it really depends on the school. Some schools only interview applicants they are very interested in based on their paper app and end up accepting 2/3+ of their interviewees. For these, the interview is basically just a social graces litmus test. Unless you are just way more weird/inappropriate/unprofessional or less interested than you seemed on paper, you're probably getting in.

Other schools take a different approach and are more generous with their invites. 1/4-1/3 of interviewees at these schools are offered acceptances. So these seem like they weight the interview more heavily and thus a lot more is riding on it.

Source: USNews profiles, which show these stats, for the the percentages. My interpretations of these numbers are my own, based on intuition, which may be wrong--so take that for what it's worth.

According to SDN feedback from 183 people previously interviewed at UTHSCSA, the average level of stress was a 2.93 (on a scale of 1-10). That might help you feel a bit better. A little stress is normal :)

anyone have any idea?

I believe there is an option to stay with a student. I know some first years in my class are interested but the orientation people said that they start involving first years a bit later, after they have acclimated to the school. But 2nd years are fair game:)
For those that don't want to stay with a student, I highly recommend Courtyard Marriott, its really close and nice. I stayed there for my interview and it took me 2 minutes to drive to campus. About $100 with tax.
Good luck on interview day!

I got two MDs for my interviews, both were after lunch. Some people got 4th years. Do not talk fast! Have a few questions prepared about the school.

And be nice to all the staff as you will be judged even while waiting for your interview.

Last edited:
I got two MDs for my interviews, both were after lunch. Some people got 4th years. Do not talk fast! Have a few questions prepared about the school.

And be nice to all the staff as you will be judged even while waiting for your interview.
Thank you for the input, and good luck regarding your acceptance. I hope to put your advice to good use :)

Got my date of 8/8. First interview of the season for me. I was hoping to be able to try out my skills on a school that was lower on my totem poll before going on this one but I'll just have to pray I get lucky.:D

Just got an interview invite for 8/22!! OOS so I'm pumped!!

I am starting my 1st day of class at UTSA tomorrow!
Lucky! Congrats:thumbup:
Got my date of 8/8. First interview of the season for me. I was hoping to be able to try out my skills on a school that was lower on my totem poll before going on this one but I'll just have to pray I get lucky.:D
I know what you mean, but I keep hearing that SA is low stress actually. Dress sharp and let us know how it goes! :luck:

I am starting my 1st day of class at UTSA tomorrow!

Congrats!!

Do you happen to remember how late in the day the interview day events ended? I am trying to decide whether I can drive or if I need to fly!

Congrats!!

Do you happen to remember how late in the day the interview day events ended? I am trying to decide whether I can drive or if I need to fly!

This is the schedule I received when I rsvp'd

8:30 – 9:00 AM Arrival/Registration

9:00 – 10:00 Welcome by Dr. David Jones, Professor of Anesthesiology and
Associate Dean for Medical School Admissions

10:15 – 11:00 Senior medical student (MS IV) panel

11:15 – 12:15 Tours of Medical School and University Hospital (MS IV’s)

12:15 – 1:00 Lunch with MS I, MS II, MS IV students

1:00 - 3:30 Interviews with Admission Committee members
(the last interviews will conclude by 3:30 PM)

3:00 - 4:00 MS I/MS II informal mixer or Multimedia Demonstration of how computers are utilized in MS I courses (MS I/MS II’s)
(refreshments served)

Status
Not open for further replies.