2011-2012 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rolled up to the medical center Marriott. See you guys tomorrow!

MS-1 here. Good luck to all of you interviewing tomorrow! Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you guys are right. i'm pretty sure one of the reasons i got such a quick interview is because i'm oos. i def do not have an interview invite from my own state school, so don't start to worry just yet!

p.s. i hope texans are friendly! :)

yea its cause they start accepting OOS people 10/5, same with MD/PhD people

for those that interviewed today, how was the day/questions asked by interviewers/general atmosphere?

oh, and congrats!

for those that interviewed today, how was the day/questions asked by interviewers/general atmosphere?

oh, and congrats!

This school and atmosphere was super chill. The students all seem very friendly and happy. The interviews were not too difficult. I had one health care questions, but other than that we just talked about my activities and random topics.

The school is also in a nice area and not downtown which is nice.

This school and atmosphere was super chill. The students all seem very friendly and happy. The interviews were not too difficult. I had one health care questions, but other than that we just talked about my activities and random topics.

troll?

Just got back from this interview, and I agree with this poster. Almost everyone had one faculty and one student interviewer, and the questions were pretty straightforward.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad to hear good news about the interviews! I'm so excited for mine!
Did anyone stay with a med student the night before? I got an email about it today and I already have a hotel reservation. However, it is tempting to stay with a student.

for those that interviewed here already, there was no social the night before, right? in the housing email it mentioned that we would have social activities available to us, but no info was actually given in the interview e-mail, so just curious...thanks!

The only social thing they had at my interview was an hour-long cookies & coffee mixer in the lecture hall foyer after the interviews were over.

I'll be hosting students starting in September! Y'all should definitely consider staying with one.. most of all because it's free and a lot of fun! And we're always here to answer whatever questions you have and ease your nerves (which made a HUGE difference for me the night before my interview!)

The only social thing they had at my interview was an hour-long cookies & coffee mixer in the lecture hall foyer after the interviews were over.

ok, cool--yeah, i assume this is the mixer listed on the schedule from 3-4. just checking in case i was missing something. thanks for the info!

Are any of y'all interviewing this coming Monday? If so, I'll be there during your lunch and I hope to meet some of you!

Are any of y'all interviewing this coming Monday? If so, I'll be there during your lunch and I hope to meet some of you!

I'll be there! I'm looking forward to it!
I wish I had heard about the option of staying with current medical students earlier, because I already had a hotel reservation by the time I found out. I bet it would be very helpful!

So what did you 8/22 interviewees think? Were you as impressed as I was a couple weeks ago?

I hate wanting to go to one specific school so bad... I'm fairly confident I'll get in somewhere, but given how competitive and crap-shooty this process is, putting a lot of hope in one single school is very stress inducing. Come on Nov. 15...

So what did you 8/22 interviewees think? Were you as impressed as I was a couple weeks ago?

I hate wanting to go to one specific school so bad... I'm fairly confident I'll get in somewhere, but given how competitive and crap-shooty this process is, putting a lot of hope in one single school is very stress inducing. Come on Nov. 15...

I'm sure you'll be alright :thumbup: and yes November 15 is never going to arrive lol

Well, I didn't interview on 8/22, but I did happen to visit the school over the weekend.

I just got a really good vibe from the place. I really wasn't sure what to expect from the school, but I was very impressed.

for those that interviewed here already, there was no social the night before, right? in the housing email it mentioned that we would have social activities available to us, but no info was actually given in the interview e-mail, so just curious...thanks!

There is indeed something the night before. You would have received a separate email. It's from 7-9 the night before at a bar/pub called the Flying Saucer. There you can meet some current students in an informal setting and maybe grab a beer. I suggest you grab a beer. Hope that helps those who haven't interviewed yet.

so who else is gonna be interviewing this Monday? Will I see yall at the social the night before?

Anyone know if this school, together with UTHSC, take a long time to notify that they have received your primary app? Only UT Southwestern sent an email after the app was transmitted by TMDSAS.

So UTSW sent me an email 2 or 3 days after my primary was Transmitted by TMDSAS. Whereas UT SA took 4 or 5 days after my app was transmitted to send an email saying they received my application. After a week of being transmitted those are the only two schools so far who have sent email confirmations.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:

TMDSAS Transmitted: 8/16
Email from southwestern: 8/19
Email from San antonio: 8/22 (The next business day after Southwestern)

Last edited:

I interviewed here on 8/22 and I LOVED the school! I was so impressed and it seems to have some of the intangibles that are very important to me (especially the feel of the students as a whole and individually). I would be thrilled to end up here, and I had a very positive interview experience all around!

What's up with the school? I've gotten a bunch of interviews to Texas schools including BCM and UTSW but haven't heard from SA.

What's up with the school? I've gotten a bunch of interviews to Texas schools including BCM and UTSW but haven't heard from SA.

Join the club. Just because certain schools are lower ranked than others doesn't mean that they will automatically interview you. BCM and UTSW look like they place a higher emphasis on stats than the other Texas schools.

Join the club. Just because certain schools are lower ranked than others doesn't mean that they will automatically interview you. BCM and UTSW look like they place a higher emphasis on stats than the other Texas schools.

Right. San Antonio seeks for a lot of the "intangibles" in their candidates, and so the quality (not necessarily quantity) of volunteer work, outside interests, and other ECs as well as essays are perhaps given more weight than at other schools.

Other examples are the Techs--both Lubbock and El Paso--which look for applicants who have demonstrated or expressed an interest in primary care medicine or rural medicine, and especially those who would like to practice in West Texas.

The other thing to remember is that it is still pretty early in this whole process. It's not even September yet. A lot of people, even those who submitted TMDSAS very early, don't get interview invites until Oct/Nov.

First Interview Invite! September 12, I'm pretty pumped! I know I was always nervously looking for the stats of people getting interview invites so I figured I'd post mine:

GPA 3.4 sGPA 3.35 MCAT 34. TMDSAS transmitted like mid June but all of my support documents didn't get there until about a week ago.

Hopefully that's encouraging to some of the other low GPA / decent MCAT folks out there.

First Interview Invite! September 12, I'm pretty pumped! I know I was always nervously looking for the stats of people getting interview invites so I figured I'd post mine:

GPA 3.4 sGPA 3.35 MCAT 34. TMDSAS transmitted like mid June but all of my support documents didn't get there until about a week ago.

Hopefully that's encouraging to some of the other low GPA / decent MCAT folks out there.

Congrats!

+1 I'll see you there! :)

nice! I'm in the same boat 36 mcat 3.6/3.36 science, so expect more interviews soon! I transmitted about the same time as you but my documents all got there at the same time, and so far i have 4 (though not one from UTSA)

Another MS1 here. Committees were recently set up. So there will be pretty much always a Sunday night social before your Monday interview at The Flying Saucer! Only if you're over 21... (When I interviewed, I was under and got kicked out, sucked... but what can you do? There's a great ice cream place next door called Brindles though!)

Feel free to ask for housing before your interview! It'll be with an MS1 or MS2. Try not to do it like two days before your interview date because we might not be able to arrange that.

Interview schedule, it's basically... Sunday night social, Monday morning small mixer/greeting/coffee, presentations, lunch with MS1/MS2 student panel (totally relaxed guys!), interviews (good luck!), and another small mixer after, if you stay. The absolutely best thing about UTHSCSA is the people: faculty, staff, students. San Antonio may not be the coolest city, but the people here are great and very welcoming. Congratulations if you have an interview! And good luck! :)

And for whoever asked if Texans are friendly, (most) Texans are absolutely friendly! We're in a horrible drought in Central Texas though... D: I think it's only rained... maybe less than 10 times here THIS YEAR... and always less than 30 minutes. Boo.

[edit] Dr. Jones said this at the beginning of our interview, you already have an invite, so be proud of yourself! A 4.0 and a 45 MCAT really are excellent, but San Antonio looks at you overall. It's not JUST numbers. I had low GPA/decent MCAT. And for those still waiting, it's not even September! So good luck in your applications!

Last edited:
nice! I'm in the same boat 36 mcat 3.6/3.36 science, so expect more interviews soon! I transmitted about the same time as you but my documents all got there at the same time, and so far i have 4 (though not one from UTSA)
Four invites so far is pretty darn good. I bet you will hear from UTSA at some point.:luck:

Another MS1 here. Committees were recently set up. So there will be pretty much always a Sunday night social before your Monday interview at The Flying Saucer! Only if you're over 21... (When I interviewed, I was under and got kicked out, sucked... but what can you do? There's a great ice cream place next door called Brindles though!)

Feel free to ask for housing before your interview! It'll be with an MS1 or MS2. Try not to do it like two days before your interview date because we might not be able to arrange that.

Interview schedule, it's basically... Sunday night social, Monday morning small mixer/greeting/coffee, presentations, lunch with MS1/MS2 student panel (totally relaxed guys!), interviews (good luck!), and another small mixer after, if you stay. The absolutely best thing about UTHSCSA is the people: faculty, staff, students. San Antonio may not be the coolest city, but the people here are great and very welcoming. Congratulations if you have an interview! And good luck! :)

And for whoever asked if Texans are friendly, (most) Texans are absolutely friendly! We're in a horrible drought in Central Texas though... D: I think it's only rained... maybe less than 10 times here THIS YEAR... and always less than 30 minutes. Boo.

[edit] Dr. Jones said this at the beginning of our interview, you already have an invite, so be proud of yourself! A 4.0 and a 45 MCAT really are excellent, but San Antonio looks at you overall. It's not JUST numbers. I had low GPA/decent MCAT. And for those still waiting, it's not even September! So good luck in your applications!
:thumbup: of course we're friendly

haha i'm the one who asked if texans are friendly. i had my interview about 2-3 weeks ago at UTHSCSA, and everyone was extremely kind! (nice to know multiple people on this thread are also reassuring me that texans are extra-friendly!) as an OOS applicant, this is definitely one of my top choices thus far.

come onnnnnnn oct. 15! big money!

Interview invite for 09/15! Woot

haha i'm the one who asked if texans are friendly. i had my interview about 2-3 weeks ago at UTHSCSA, and everyone was extremely kind! (nice to know multiple people on this thread are also reassuring me that texans are extra-friendly!) as an OOS applicant, this is definitely one of my top choices thus far.

come onnnnnnn oct. 15! big money!

Interview invite for 09/15! Woot

Good luck on the 15th to everyone invited! Wish I could join yall..

just got an invite for sept 26th! I had kind of given up on UT San Antonio since I hadn't heard anything (while friends who submitted later had), but for those of you in the same situation don't give up hope!

just got an invite for sept 26th! I had kind of given up on UT San Antonio since I hadn't heard anything (while friends who submitted later had), but for those of you in the same situation don't give up hope!

Congrats! hopefully I will hear the good news soon. It's been a while for me too. :)

Another week, another round of no interviews.

Patiently waiting :)

Another week, another round of no interviews.

Patiently waiting :)

Me too. It's been a month since I've gotten any invites. I can't really complain since UTHSCSA, TCOM, and Tech-Lubbock have all interviewed me. But I'd really love to hear from a few others... namely A&M, UTMB, and (if I'm lucky) Baylor.

I was complete in MAY for TMDSAS schools... so it's a little saddening seeing all these people who submitted in August already getting invites. There's this sinking feeling that my app is just collecting dust in the bottom of a low priority cabinet somewhere...

Me too. It's been a month since I've gotten any invites. I can't really complain since UTHSCSA, TCOM, and Tech-Lubbock have all interviewed me. But I'd really love to hear from a few others... namely A&M, UTMB, and (if I'm lucky) Baylor.

I was complete in MAY for TMDSAS schools... so it's a little saddening seeing all these people who submitted in August already getting invites. There's this sinking feeling that my app is just collecting dust in the bottom of a low priority cabinet somewhere...

I know what you mean...the pre-med advisor at Rice always tells us that "you only need one interview to get into med school", so patience!

Last edited:
Give me some love San Antonio!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.