You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 University of Utah Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did ANYONE hear ANYTHING?
I hear (see) a lot of people freaking out over nothing.....
Roll Call Updated:
Please post whether you plan to accept or are still deciding. This will be especially helpful for out of state, Idaho, and waitlist candidates. Good luck everyone!
Please use the following format to be added:
Username - IS/ID/OOS - Interview Month - Decision (Date) Portal/Postal/Call/Etc.
Total Applicants - 35 Applied, 7 Accepted, 2 WL 12 Rejected, 14 No Decision
In State - 24 Applied, 3 Accepted, 0 WL, 8 Rejected, 13 No Decision
Idaho - 5 Applied, 2 Accepted, 2 WL, 1 Rejected, 0 No Decision
Out of State - 6 Applied, 2 Accepted, 0 WL, 3 Rejected, 1 No Decision
Confirmed Matriculating - 1 IS, 0 ID, 0 OOS
Artemis007 - IS - DEC - ND
blab - IS - Jan - ND
bholt1313 & Friend - IS - Nov/Oct - Accepted (1/10)
Bradalay - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/24)
CamIsRad - IS - NOV - ND
Chirality - IS - Feb - ND
cougardiver - IS - Feb - ND
crazysciencekid - ID - Feb - Waitlisted (3/26) postal
ctdawg103 - IS - Oct - Rejected (3/24)
Deadlywarber - OOS - Sep - Rejected (12/6)
Doctorc88 - IS - Sep -Rejected (3/24)
Epicdr - IS - Oct - ND
etfiedler - IS - Nov - Rejected (3/24)
flailingjester - OOS- Dec- accepted- call then email (2/27)
GrabSomePine - OOS - Nov - ND
H2Oski9 - IS - Nov - ND
Harmonia- OOS- Dec- Accepted- Online Status(1st)/Postal(1/15)
HealDreamer - OS - Dec - Rejected 3/26/12 vial mail
HJBYU - IS - Nov - ND
ipoo - IS - Jan - Rejected (3/24)
jbalinor - ID - OCT & NOV - Rejected (3/26)
keepwaiting - OOS - Nov - ND
kid Icarus 3 - ID - Nov - Admitted (2/23)
Littleman25 - ID - Oct - Waitlisted (3/26)
MaxHeptacity - ID - Feb - ND
mlnlb - IS - Sep - ND
MussMan - IS - Oct - ND
outdoorfanatic- IS - Sept - ND
rbrobbins-IS-Feb-ND
shoot3r - ID - Jan - Accepted - Online Status (3/22)
switchback - IS - Oct - Rejected (11/27)
thatguyfromutah - IS - Feb - ND
tryin2help - IS - Feb - Accepted & Matriculating - Online(1st)/ Postal(3/16)
UtahMD & Buddy - IS - Nov - Rejected (1/6)
3 other rejections listed by ctdawg103 on 2/8, not included in totals
Please post whether you plan to accept or are still deciding. This will be especially helpful for out of state, Idaho, and waitlist candidates. Good luck everyone!
Please use the following format to be added:
Username - IS/ID/OOS - Interview Month - Decision (Date) Portal/Postal/Call/Etc.
Total Applicants - 35 Applied, 7 Accepted, 2 WL 12 Rejected, 14 No Decision
In State - 24 Applied, 3 Accepted, 0 WL, 8 Rejected, 13 No Decision
Idaho - 5 Applied, 2 Accepted, 2 WL, 1 Rejected, 0 No Decision
Out of State - 6 Applied, 2 Accepted, 0 WL, 3 Rejected, 1 No Decision
Confirmed Matriculating - 1 IS, 0 ID, 0 OOS
Artemis007 - IS - DEC - ND
blab - IS - Jan - ND
bholt1313 & Friend - IS - Nov/Oct - Accepted (1/10)
Bradalay - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/24)
CamIsRad - IS - NOV - ND
Chirality - IS - Feb - ND
cougardiver - IS - Feb - ND
crazysciencekid - ID - Feb - Waitlisted (3/26) postal
ctdawg103 - IS - Oct - Rejected (3/24)
Deadlywarber - OOS - Sep - Rejected (12/6)
Doctorc88 - IS - Sep -Rejected (3/24)
Epicdr - IS - Oct - ND
etfiedler - IS - Nov - Rejected (3/24)
flailingjester - OOS- Dec- accepted- call then email (2/27)
GrabSomePine - OOS - Nov - ND
H2Oski9 - IS - Nov - ND
Harmonia- OOS- Dec- Accepted- Online Status(1st)/Postal(1/15)
HealDreamer - OS - Dec - Rejected 3/26/12 vial mail
HJBYU - IS - Nov - ND
ipoo - IS - Jan - Rejected (3/24)
jbalinor - ID - OCT & NOV - Rejected (3/26)
keepwaiting - OOS - Nov - ND
kid Icarus 3 - ID - Nov - Admitted (2/23)
Littleman25 - ID - Oct - Waitlisted (3/26)
MaxHeptacity - ID - Feb - ND
mlnlb - IS - Sep - ND
MussMan - IS - Oct - ND
outdoorfanatic- IS - Sept - ND
rbrobbins-IS-Feb-ND
shoot3r - ID - Jan - Accepted - Online Status (3/22)
switchback - IS - Oct - Rejected (11/27)
thatguyfromutah - IS - Feb - ND
tryin2help - IS - Feb - Accepted & Matriculating - Online(1st)/ Postal(3/16)
UtahMD & Buddy - IS - Nov - Rejected (1/6)
3 other rejections listed by ctdawg103 on 2/8, not included in totals
thank you for that, I'm not 'freaking' out just curiousI hear (see) a lot of people freaking out over nothing.....
thank you for that, I'm not 'freaking' out just curious
Your use of caps says otherwise. I'm not sure why it's so hard for folks to believe what they say at the end of the interview. End of March, and everyone will know. Why are people so bent out of shape about the online portal being down? Many receive a letter before their portal is updated, so the portal being down means nothing. Second guessing the adcom is only going to make you look silly. Obviously they're doing things how and when they see fit.
Your use of caps says otherwise. I'm not sure why it's so hard for folks to believe what they say at the end of the interview. End of March, and everyone will know. Why are people so bent out of shape about the online portal being down? Many receive a letter before their portal is updated, so the portal being down means nothing. Second guessing the adcom is only going to make you look silly. Obviously they're doing things how and when they see fit.
True, but only to a point, but the adcom has consistently (in the past two years) shown that they don't send most or all of the decisions on the last day. Also, the adcom says throughout the month of and by the end of March. We do believe what they said 🙂
No one is bent out of shape about the portal. Looking back to previous years, statuses were updated following such an event, so it was potentially exciting.
Its okay for people to be excited about going to Utah, and its okay to hope it happens sooner than the last day of the month...precedent says that it might...sorry we're stepping on your feet. We are super excited to be potential Utes.
True, but only to a point, but the adcom has consistently (in the past two years) shown that they don't send most or all of the decisions on the last day. Also, the adcom says throughout the month of and by the end of March. We do believe what they said 🙂
No one is bent out of shape about the portal. Looking back to previous years, statuses were updated following such an event, so it was potentially exciting.
Its okay for people to be excited about going to Utah, and its okay to hope it happens sooner than the last day of the month...precedent says that it might...sorry we're stepping on your feet. We are super excited to be potential Utes.
Hah. One kid saying he's going to go throw up somewhere and another saying he's wigging out. I'd say people are bent out of shape.
If you're so bugged do the rest of us a favor and stop logging on.
+1. I was going to say something similar earlier but I couldn't stop vomiting. 🙂If you're so bugged do the rest of us a favor and stop logging on.
If you're so bugged do the rest of us a favor and stop logging on.
OK, now that we can tell who the chillers and gunners are in this class...here's your civility pill. 😉
Let's just let folks do their thing, news will come when it comes anyway. Best wishes for everyone.
I stopped vomiting so I could +1.If you're so bugged do the rest of us a favor and stop logging on.
OK, now that we can tell who the chillers and gunners are in this class...here's your civility pill. 😉
Let's just let folks do their thing, news will come when it comes anyway. Best wishes for everyone.
Not quite sure how telling people to chill out makes me a gunner (especially since the U uses P/F) so there are no gunners but yes, news will come when it comes. That's what I've been saying the whole time. Más uno to you sir.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you're so bugged do the rest of us a favor and stop logging on.
+ 1
My online portal changed.
It looks a lot better
It looks a lot better
My online portal changed.
It looks a lot better
As in you're in, or as in they changed the graphic layout or something?
Just changed the layout, I was really excited when I first logged on-but it just looks different. Just wanted to mess with you guys a little bit. This is my fifth year going through this. First two years were quick rejections pre-interview. I started working on a master's degree and got interviews in 2009, 2010 and this year. In 2009 I interviewed at Utah in December and I got a waitlist letter the last week of march, 2010 I got a rejection letter early december just a few weeks after interviewing. This year I interviewed in February, and obviously still waiting like the rest of you. It's agonizing I know, every year I've sat and read the posts trying to determine when letters are coming out, and if a lot of people are getting rejections and I didn't have a letter I always thought it was good news coming but haven't gotten in yet. If it makes anyone feel any better, (Don't get me wrong here, I don't think doctors, or premeds are the smartest or greatest in the world by any means) I always look at it like we aren't competing against a bunch of idiots and if you have great grades, and test scores then you should be a shoe-in. The adcoms have a tough decision, trying to choose who they think will finish school, and ultimately go one to become a doctor who still cares about helping people and will remain in the state. They are choosing from a huge group of people who have 3.6+ GPA's, 29+ MCATs, and really great extracurriculars. In some respects I think they can probably do just as well choosing from a hat as they can by sitting down and trying to make decisions based on grades, e.c.'s and short interviews. I don't know how every other school makes decisions, but I was told that Utah changes the way they score applicants each year so one year higher grades mean more and the next year extra's mean more etc. I think they do this not only to study which students are most successful on boards and match, but also to ensure that they are provided a mix of physicians who will offer different strong points. I know that's quite a rant for no reason other than it's late and I'm still awake, but four years of being rejected, each year feeling like I've made it a little closer but not quite there, stings a little but not nearly as much when I put it in perspective.As in you're in, or as in they changed the graphic layout or something?
In case you wondered, my stats MCAT BS-12, PS-10, VR-8 (Disappointing), Undergrad Micro 3.6, Masters Biomedical Science 3.95 UT Resident
Sorry for the long post
Dang adventure, thanks for sharing your story. That's really surprising you haven't been accepted yet. Your stats look good to me. Good luck and keep fighting for what you love.Just changed the layout, I was really excited when I first logged on-but it just looks different. Just wanted to mess with you guys a little bit. This is my fifth year going through this. First two years were quick rejections pre-interview. I started working on a master's degree and got interviews in 2009, 2010 and this year. In 2009 I interviewed at Utah in December and I got a waitlist letter the last week of march, 2010 I got a rejection letter early december just a few weeks after interviewing. This year I interviewed in February, and obviously still waiting like the rest of you. It's agonizing I know, every year I've sat and read the posts trying to determine when letters are coming out, and if a lot of people are getting rejections and I didn't have a letter I always thought it was good news coming but haven't gotten in yet. If it makes anyone feel any better, (Don't get me wrong here, I don't think doctors, or premeds are the smartest or greatest in the world by any means) I always look at it like we aren't competing against a bunch of idiots and if you have great grades, and test scores then you should be a shoe-in. The adcoms have a tough decision, trying to choose who they think will finish school, and ultimately go one to become a doctor who still cares about helping people and will remain in the state. They are choosing from a huge group of people who have 3.6+ GPA's, 29+ MCATs, and really great extracurriculars. In some respects I think they can probably do just as well choosing from a hat as they can by sitting down and trying to make decisions based on grades, e.c.'s and short interviews. I don't know how every other school makes decisions, but I was told that Utah changes the way they score applicants each year so one year higher grades mean more and the next year extra's mean more etc. I think they do this not only to study which students are most successful on boards and match, but also to ensure that they are provided a mix of physicians who will offer different strong points. I know that's quite a rant for no reason other than it's late and I'm still awake, but four years of being rejected, each year feeling like I've made it a little closer but not quite there, stings a little but not nearly as much when I put it in perspective.
In case you wondered, my stats MCAT BS-12, PS-10, VR-8 (Disappointing), Undergrad Micro 3.6, Masters Biomedical Science 3.95 UT Resident
Sorry for the long post

Dang adventure, thanks for sharing your story. That's really surprising you haven't been accepted yet. Your stats look good to me. Good luck and keep fighting for what you love.![]()
+1
Adventure, have you been accepted somewhere for this cycle yet or is Utah your hope at this point?
Great story of perseverance.
Dr. Samuelson said "No news is good news" at this stage. Saw him Saturday. He also said the adcom is meeting one last time this Tuesday.
Well...the final meeting of the adcom has occurred. Our fates have been decided.
Just called admissions. She said decisions will likely be placed in the mail on the 28th.
I'm guessing this means status updates today also for those accepted?
Hey HomerJayBYU, who did you talk to? Was it Kathie or Goldie or someone else?
Hey HomerJayBYU, who did you talk to? Was it Kathie or Goldie or someone else?
I didn't ask who I was talking to.
I didn't ask who I was talking to.
No worries...thanks for posting back...
So the mailman is outside right now....I can't wait for him to leave so I can go check the mail!
Rejected by postal mail about 3 minutes ago. Dated 3/23. postmarked 3/26.
I'll do one final rollcall update and then someone else will need to take over.
Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
I'll do one final rollcall update and then someone else will need to take over.
Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
No worries...thanks for posting back...
So the mailman is outside right now....I can't wait for him to leave so I can go check the mail!
Well stethoscope, any news?
Roll Call Updated:
Please post whether you plan to accept or are still deciding. This will be especially helpful for out of state, Idaho, and waitlist candidates. Good luck everyone!
Please use the following format to be added:
Username - IS/ID/OOS - Interview Month - Decision (Date) Portal/Postal/Call/Etc.
Total Applicants - 35 Applied, 7 Accepted, 2 WL 14 Rejected, 12 No Decision
In State - 24 Applied, 3 Accepted, 0 WL, 10 Rejected, 11 No Decision
Idaho - 5 Applied, 2 Accepted, 2 WL, 1 Rejected, 0 No Decision
Out of State - 6 Applied, 2 Accepted, 0 WL, 3 Rejected, 1 No Decision
Confirmed Matriculating - 1 IS, 0 ID, 0 OOS
Artemis007 - IS - DEC - ND
blab - IS - Jan - ND
bholt1313 & Friend - IS - Nov/Oct - Accepted (1/10)
Bradalay - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/24)
CamIsRad - IS - NOV - ND
Chirality - IS - Feb - ND
cougardiver - IS - Feb - Rejected 3/28
crazysciencekid - ID - Feb - Waitlisted (3/26) postal
ctdawg103 - IS - Oct - Rejected (3/24)
Deadlywarber - OOS - Sep - Rejected (12/6)
Doctorc88 - IS - Sep -Rejected (3/24)
Epicdr - IS - Oct - ND
etfiedler - IS - Nov - Rejected (3/24)
flailingjester - OOS- Dec- accepted- call then email (2/27)
GrabSomePine - OOS - Nov - ND
H2Oski9 - IS - Nov - ND
Harmonia- OOS- Dec- Accepted- Online Status(1st)/Postal(1/15)
HealDreamer - OS - Dec - Rejected 3/26/12 vial mail
HJBYU - IS - Nov - ND
ipoo - IS - Jan - Rejected (3/24)
jbalinor - ID - OCT & NOV - Rejected (3/26)
keepwaiting - OOS - Nov - ND
kid Icarus 3 - ID - Nov - Admitted (2/23)
Littleman25 - ID - Oct - Waitlisted (3/26)
MaxHeptacity - ID - Feb - ND
mlnlb - IS - Sep - ND
MussMan - IS - Oct - ND
outdoorfanatic- IS - Sept - ND
rbrobbins-IS-Feb-ND
shoot3r - ID - Jan - Accepted - Online Status (3/22)
switchback - IS - Oct - Rejected (11/27)
thatguyfromutah - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/28)
tryin2help - IS - Feb - Accepted & Matriculating - Online(1st)/ Postal(3/16)
UtahMD & Buddy - IS - Nov - Rejected (1/6)
3 other rejections listed by ctdawg103 on 2/8, not included in totals
Please post whether you plan to accept or are still deciding. This will be especially helpful for out of state, Idaho, and waitlist candidates. Good luck everyone!
Please use the following format to be added:
Username - IS/ID/OOS - Interview Month - Decision (Date) Portal/Postal/Call/Etc.
Total Applicants - 35 Applied, 7 Accepted, 2 WL 14 Rejected, 12 No Decision
In State - 24 Applied, 3 Accepted, 0 WL, 10 Rejected, 11 No Decision
Idaho - 5 Applied, 2 Accepted, 2 WL, 1 Rejected, 0 No Decision
Out of State - 6 Applied, 2 Accepted, 0 WL, 3 Rejected, 1 No Decision
Confirmed Matriculating - 1 IS, 0 ID, 0 OOS
Artemis007 - IS - DEC - ND
blab - IS - Jan - ND
bholt1313 & Friend - IS - Nov/Oct - Accepted (1/10)
Bradalay - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/24)
CamIsRad - IS - NOV - ND
Chirality - IS - Feb - ND
cougardiver - IS - Feb - Rejected 3/28
crazysciencekid - ID - Feb - Waitlisted (3/26) postal
ctdawg103 - IS - Oct - Rejected (3/24)
Deadlywarber - OOS - Sep - Rejected (12/6)
Doctorc88 - IS - Sep -Rejected (3/24)
Epicdr - IS - Oct - ND
etfiedler - IS - Nov - Rejected (3/24)
flailingjester - OOS- Dec- accepted- call then email (2/27)
GrabSomePine - OOS - Nov - ND
H2Oski9 - IS - Nov - ND
Harmonia- OOS- Dec- Accepted- Online Status(1st)/Postal(1/15)
HealDreamer - OS - Dec - Rejected 3/26/12 vial mail
HJBYU - IS - Nov - ND
ipoo - IS - Jan - Rejected (3/24)
jbalinor - ID - OCT & NOV - Rejected (3/26)
keepwaiting - OOS - Nov - ND
kid Icarus 3 - ID - Nov - Admitted (2/23)
Littleman25 - ID - Oct - Waitlisted (3/26)
MaxHeptacity - ID - Feb - ND
mlnlb - IS - Sep - ND
MussMan - IS - Oct - ND
outdoorfanatic- IS - Sept - ND
rbrobbins-IS-Feb-ND
shoot3r - ID - Jan - Accepted - Online Status (3/22)
switchback - IS - Oct - Rejected (11/27)
thatguyfromutah - IS - Feb - Rejected (3/28)
tryin2help - IS - Feb - Accepted & Matriculating - Online(1st)/ Postal(3/16)
UtahMD & Buddy - IS - Nov - Rejected (1/6)
3 other rejections listed by ctdawg103 on 2/8, not included in totals
Last edited:
Rejected by postal mail about 3 minutes ago. Dated 3/23. postmarked 3/26.
I'll do one final rollcall update and then someone else will need to take over.
Dang! I'm sorry to hear that stethoscope. I was really rooting for you. I thought they were done with rejections and that we didn't need to worry anymore. Do you have plans for anywhere else?
Rejected by postal mail about 3 minutes ago. Dated 3/23. postmarked 3/26.
I'll do one final rollcall update and then someone else will need to take over.
Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
Really sorry to hear that 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dang! I'm sorry to hear that stethoscope. I was really rooting for you. I thought they were done with rejections and that we didn't need to worry anymore. Do you have plans for anywhere else?
Thanks. I'm pretty sorry to hear it too.
I was also sure there weren't many/any rejections left after last week's string.Right now, no other plans for this year. I have been admitted to AT Still KCOM for next year and am on the waitlist for this year. I have a couple other DO interviews as I keep pushing to get in somewhere for this year.
My wife's pretty bummed about having to move from Utah, and I'm bummed about not getting into Utah. I really connected with the school while I was there and really thought I had performed well enough to get in.
I've enjoyed sharing the journey with you all. Good luck in the final days.
Really sorry to hear that 🙁
Thanks. Good luck to you.
Cougardiver, when in Feb did you interview?
Feb 24th.
Thanks for keeping us all updated throughout the process cougardiver I'm sorry to hear you didn't get accepted. I am just hoping that I don't have a letter waiting for me in the mail today as well.
Thanks to you too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted!
Rejected via snail mail. Interviewed 2/14. I am really gutted but can now focus on Western U COMP-NW!
Waitlist at a DO school in Florida and I also have four applications in to schools in Ireland which I believe they start making decisions in the next month or two.+1
Adventure, have you been accepted somewhere for this cycle yet or is Utah your hope at this point?
Great story of perseverance.
Sorry to have just seen that you got the bad news this year. If you didn't know already you can talk to your premed adviser and they can get feedback from the adcom meeting about your application for you.
Waitlist at a DO school in Florida and I also have four applications in to schools in Ireland which I believe they start making decisions in the next month or two.
Sorry to have just seen that you got the bad news this year. If you didn't know already you can talk to your premed adviser and they can get feedback from the adcom meeting about your application for you.
Meaning John or Mayumi?
I talked to John last year but I think either one can do it, just depends on how they schedule your appointment.Meaning John or Mayumi?
I talked to John last year but I think either one can do it, just depends on how they schedule your appointment.
Cool. Thanks for the tip!
Sorry I'm a Noob, but would someone post a link to this online portal y'all are talking about?
https://secure.uuhsc.utah.edu/som/admissions/application/
Same link as your secondary. 🙂 Good luck.
Portal will show admission, not rejection or waitlist.
Geez. I'm freaking out. Can't concentrate at work.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kjbds1 - IS - Feb - Accepted (3/12)
Did this show up online?
Anyone accepted lately?
Thanks for the update UVU Guy, so sorry to hear the news. Best of luck to you and your friends in getting in to another school! I am way scared to get the mail tomorrow now.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K