You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 University of Utah Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
no news, my thinking is the best I can hope for now is to be waitlisted... this sucks. If the list was finalized yesterday and online portal didn't change, I doubt that I would receive an acceptance.
Im in the same boat and I kind of feel how you do but I am still hopeing for the best. Best of luck to you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the mail and a rejection.
Thanks you too!!! very nerve racking.... I think it is silly that they don't post all the decisions, rejection/waitlist/acceptance online... seems like it could save money. Hopefully we both get accepted and they just "forgot" to update online.Im in the same boat and I kind of feel how you do but I am still hopeing for the best. Best of luck to you!
Just a thought... We haven't heard about anyone getting an acceptance this week yet. That makes me think that no news is still good news! If some people were seeing portal updates and I still hadn't seem anything, then I would immediadely think wait list or rejection. From last year's thread, the final week showed a massive update to portal status all on one day, with those not seeing the update receiving waitlist notifications following...
None here, not sure what to expect at this point.
So last year it seemed the huge wave of acceptances went out on MONDAY, March 28. Perhaps they are just waiting for the weekend to hash out all the small details, and then update the portal this coming Monday? I think I am just overanalazying everything, it probably is just random. Food for thought though...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing online or in my mailbox today. I called earlier today to see if they could give me a hint (I want to know whether I need to fill out the supplemental financial aid form due this weekend). The lady I spoke with said all the letters would be mailed tomorrow (Friday).
Nothing online or in my mailbox today. I called earlier today to see if they could give me a hint (I want to know whether I need to fill out the supplemental financial aid form due this weekend). The lady I spoke with said all the letters would be mailed tomorrow (Friday).
Are you referring to the uform?
Are you referring to the uform?
No--the supplemental application (which has all of the scholarship applications), due April 1.
I called the admissions office today. They also told me that letters will be going out tomorrow, which she said will be the biggest mail group yet. She said the letters likely would not arrive until next week.
I would suspect then that online status will update for those accepted either tomorrow or Saturday. Good luck everyone and be sure t share news when you get it. My mail carrier usually doesn't get to my house until after 1:30 pm so I'm sure I will be posting later (barring online status change.)
I would suspect then that online status will update for those accepted either tomorrow or Saturday. Good luck everyone and be sure t share news when you get it. My mail carrier usually doesn't get to my house until after 1:30 pm so I'm sure I will be posting later (barring online status change.)
No mail either, I get mine around 2pm. Will keep you guys posted.
Nothing for me either.
Nothing here...
I am SO sick of their hokey notification process.
I decided to sign up and post...hopefully what I have to say will help someone out there. I am a practicing physician in Utah. I enrolled in my home state medical school 25+ years ago and currently have a son going through the application/decision process for medical school.
Here are a few things to consider. First, the University of Utah is just plain rude and arrogant with their application/admission process. Most (I would suggest almost all) other schools (public and private) have let their applicants know by now. All it would take is a simple leadership decision from the top (the dean/ dean of admissions) to change all of this. They will spout out reasons why they do it this way...it boils down to simple arrogance.
My son doesn't know...just like many of you. My own son has interviewed and been accepted to 3 other schools in the U.S... all private and a combo of M.D. or D.O. He will likely go to the U if he gets in simply because it is cheaper and easier...not because it is "better" than the other choices.
Good luck...don't worry. All will work out
Here are a few things to consider. First, the University of Utah is just plain rude and arrogant with their application/admission process. Most (I would suggest almost all) other schools (public and private) have let their applicants know by now. All it would take is a simple leadership decision from the top (the dean/ dean of admissions) to change all of this. They will spout out reasons why they do it this way...it boils down to simple arrogance.
My son doesn't know...just like many of you. My own son has interviewed and been accepted to 3 other schools in the U.S... all private and a combo of M.D. or D.O. He will likely go to the U if he gets in simply because it is cheaper and easier...not because it is "better" than the other choices.
Good luck...don't worry. All will work out
Sorry I meant to write a few more "positive" thoughts!!
1. You will enjoy taking care of patients...no matter where you went to school!
2. Admissions committees are made up of people who are biased...so don't take it personally!
3. Many MANY of the great doctors I work with every day...went to small private schools, other state schools, private D.O. schools, international schools...it's where you train/residency and what you DO with your future which define you...not your school!!
4. The woman who was named the "top medical student" at my state school... got in on her 4th try and had been told by the Dean of Admissions to give up because she just wasn't suited to be a doctor... sound familiar??
5. Many of the doctors I work with who attended the U Med School (I did not) tell me they did not enjoy it, their teachers were obnoxious and arrogant, and they would discourage their children from applying/attending...sounds like the U of U has a lot of work to do.
6. The legislature did not increase the class size this year because a "deal" was make behind the scenes... don't push it this year because they needed other funding for physical facilities... they sold you out but I believe the class sizes will increase in the future...sorry
Again... I say go where you get in...keep your debt load down as low as possible... enjoy your schooling and residency as much as you can!! You don't want to "waste" 7-9 years of your life being miserable! It is fulfilling, fun, exciting and rewarding to be in practice... you will get there!!
1. You will enjoy taking care of patients...no matter where you went to school!
2. Admissions committees are made up of people who are biased...so don't take it personally!
3. Many MANY of the great doctors I work with every day...went to small private schools, other state schools, private D.O. schools, international schools...it's where you train/residency and what you DO with your future which define you...not your school!!
4. The woman who was named the "top medical student" at my state school... got in on her 4th try and had been told by the Dean of Admissions to give up because she just wasn't suited to be a doctor... sound familiar??
5. Many of the doctors I work with who attended the U Med School (I did not) tell me they did not enjoy it, their teachers were obnoxious and arrogant, and they would discourage their children from applying/attending...sounds like the U of U has a lot of work to do.
6. The legislature did not increase the class size this year because a "deal" was make behind the scenes... don't push it this year because they needed other funding for physical facilities... they sold you out but I believe the class sizes will increase in the future...sorry
Again... I say go where you get in...keep your debt load down as low as possible... enjoy your schooling and residency as much as you can!! You don't want to "waste" 7-9 years of your life being miserable! It is fulfilling, fun, exciting and rewarding to be in practice... you will get there!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for thisSorry I meant to write a few more "positive" thoughts!!
1. You will enjoy taking care of patients...no matter where you went to school!
2. Admissions committees are made up of people who are biased...so don't take it personally!
3. Many MANY of the great doctors I work with every day...went to small private schools, other state schools, private D.O. schools, international schools...it's where you train/residency and what you DO with your future which define you...not your school!!
4. The woman who was named the "top medical student" at my state school... got in on her 4th try and had been told by the Dean of Admissions to give up because she just wasn't suited to be a doctor... sound familiar??
5. Many of the doctors I work with who attended the U Med School (I did not) tell me they did not enjoy it, their teachers were obnoxious and arrogant, and they would discourage their children from applying/attending...sounds like the U of U has a lot of work to do.
6. The legislature did not increase the class size this year because a "deal" was make behind the scenes... don't push it this year because they needed other funding for physical facilities... they sold you out but I believe the class sizes will increase in the future...sorry
Again... I say go where you get in...keep your debt load down as low as possible... enjoy your schooling and residency as much as you can!! You don't want to "waste" 7-9 years of your life being miserable! It is fulfilling, fun, exciting and rewarding to be in practice... you will get there!!
+1. Thank you for posting this.
Sorry I meant to write a few more "positive" thoughts!!
1. You will enjoy taking care of patients...no matter where you went to school!
2. Admissions committees are made up of people who are biased...so don't take it personally!
3. Many MANY of the great doctors I work with every day...went to small private schools, other state schools, private D.O. schools, international schools...it's where you train/residency and what you DO with your future which define you...not your school!!
4. The woman who was named the "top medical student" at my state school... got in on her 4th try and had been told by the Dean of Admissions to give up because she just wasn't suited to be a doctor... sound familiar??
5. Many of the doctors I work with who attended the U Med School (I did not) tell me they did not enjoy it, their teachers were obnoxious and arrogant, and they would discourage their children from applying/attending...sounds like the U of U has a lot of work to do.
6. The legislature did not increase the class size this year because a "deal" was make behind the scenes... don't push it this year because they needed other funding for physical facilities... they sold you out but I believe the class sizes will increase in the future...sorry
Again... I say go where you get in...keep your debt load down as low as possible... enjoy your schooling and residency as much as you can!! You don't want to "waste" 7-9 years of your life being miserable! It is fulfilling, fun, exciting and rewarding to be in practice... you will get there!!
items placed in the mail yesterday should have reached some utah residents today, no? anyone hear/receive anything?
Ogden resident, nothing in the mail today.
items placed in the mail yesterday should have reached some utah residents today, no? anyone hear/receive anything?
I didn't get anything today (I'm in Salt Lake county). They could have placed it in their mailbox after the postal service had already come by.
Hey all! Congrats to those who have been accepted! I want to start a facebook group for the 2016 class, which will make communication amongst us easier. Can someone who has been accepted and plans on attending the U this fall PM me with your name. In order for me to start a group, I have to have 1 additional member aside from myself. Then, I will post the link on this thread so others can join as they hear back! Gracias 🙂
Anyone else get this email?I just got a background check email......
I just got a background check email......
Thats a good thing, means you got accepted or wait-listed 😱
I just got a background check email......
From the U or from the AAMC? Have you been accepted or waitlisted elsewhere? I got one of those months ago when I got my first acceptance at another school.
ah, is there any change in any one's online portal? I didn't receive the background email, now I'm nervous to get the mail today

so if we haven't gotten one of those we've been rejected?The email was from aamc, and said I've been either accepted or waitlisted.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if we haven't gotten one of those we've been rejected?
I wouldn't look into it. The AAMC does their own thing once it gets a list of accepted/waitlisted students from any school (meaning that people accepted elsewhere could have already received it).
Just a few hours until the mail comes. Let's all take a deep breath and calm down.
I didn't get the email either. I sure hope that it isn't an indication that I got rejected. Has anyone checked the portal today?
I didn't get the email either. I sure hope that it isn't an indication that I got rejected. Has anyone checked the portal today?
Nothing new on the portal for me. I guess we should wait for the mail.
Nothing on the portal for me either, no AAMC e-mail and mail will be delivered in about 3 hours or so....I didn't get the email either. I sure hope that it isn't an indication that I got rejected. Has anyone checked the portal today?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K