2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there's enough time to catch a 4:45 pm bus at 1001 Howard street (the Greyhound station) right after 2nd look ends?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! Welcome to WSU. I am a female med student @ WSU looking for a female roommate to share my place. Please PM if interested. Thank you!

Are there any more interviews left? Should I consider St. George's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up yet people! I got accepted the day after whatever the cut-off in May was. This was after a 500$ deposit to another school. Oh well.

Where did everyone get this this flyer? On pipeline or amcas email?

AMCAS email for me. But maybe not everyone received it. My flyer said: "We have been notified by AMCAS that you are currently holding an acceptance at more than one medical school."

Can you confirm it with Dawn gujudoc? When I sent him my response I got an away-from-office reply from him.

Also, I got the email on March 16th.

Well I completed my application here back in early October and I just received an interview invite this morning. I was told that the only interview dates left were May 2 and 3, and she only listed off about five times. I'm really surprised that they would even interview so late. I'm wondering how fast they could get back to us with a decision, and if we are accepted how quickly could we get financial aid info, etc. I have a couple acceptances, but none in-state, so this is tempting. However, that would be a lot of information to process in a short amount of time to decide on a school. I'm really happy to get an interview, though.

Well I completed my application here back in early October and I just received an interview invite this morning. I was told that the only interview dates left were May 2 and 3, and she only listed off about five times. I'm really surprised that they would even interview so late. I'm wondering how fast they could get back to us with a decision, and if we are accepted how quickly could we get financial aid info, etc. I have a couple acceptances, but none in-state, so this is tempting. However, that would be a lot of information to process in a short amount of time to decide on a school. I'm really happy to get an interview, though.

I would go.

Really hoping for an invite as well :xf:

Gujudoc, what do you mean when you say that the adcom accepts in sevenths?

Gujudoc, what do you mean when you say that the adcom accepts in sevenths?

There are seven decision dates per application cycle where they tell everyone their status. Each decision date 1/7 of the total acceptances are given, therefore the people who interview in May have the same odds as someone who interviewed in October to get an acceptance, the only difference being they are compared to a larger group (all interviewees up until that point).

For those who are going (not many judging by the lack of posts?), see you at 2nd look tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I don't seem to have it noted from 2nd visit. How much free time do we have to study for step 1 at Wayne at the end of second year?

Hm, I don't seem to have it noted from 2nd visit. How much free time do we have to study for step 1 at Wayne at the end of second year?

2nd year finished around mid-May, you have to take the test by the end of June. I would say you have about 6 weeks. Year III orientation starts around July 1.

rejected :( pre interview

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Are they still sending out interview invites ? Or was that done long time ago.

No official word on that yet but a person from a few posts up said that he/she received an interview invite around April 9th (I think it was) and the only interviews left were May 2nd and 3rd with very few slots open then.

Are they still sending out interview invites ? Or was that done long time ago.

No official word on that yet but a person from a few posts up said that he/she received an interview invite around April 9th (I think it was) and the only interviews left were May 2nd and 3rd with very few slots open then.

Oh okay thanks for the heads up.

To those that were accepted, was there any mention in your acceptance letters of what grades you needed to maintain for your last semester in undergrad (ie C's and above)?

To those that were accepted, was there any mention in your acceptance letters of what grades you needed to maintain for your last semester in undergrad (ie C's and above)?

They say that the acceptance is "contingent upon the satisfactory completion of any remaining academic work" and the completion of your bachelor's degree.

to repost from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739&page=34&highlight=wayne

JoeCool Wrote:
House for rent in Grosse Pointe Park

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm graduating and moving out of the house I've rented in Grosse Pointe Park for the past 4 years. If anyone is interested in renting a 4 bedroom house with 2 car garage near corner of kercheval and maryland for $950/mo, PM me and I'll pass along the landlord's contact info.

I'm also familiar with that house/landlord...
feel free to contact me if you would like the landlord's contact information.

For anyone not familiar, the Grosse Pointes are a nice area to live... far more route down to Scott Hall than from Royal Oak, so traffic is less of an issue.
Plus you are close to the East side hospitals.

Once again, contact me for any additional information

I interviewed in October and have been on the alternate list ever since. I sent in an update letter in November as well as an additional recommendation letter in December. Nothing earth-shattering has happened since then but I'm wondering if I should send something to indicate I'm still very interested. And if so, should I send before the last decision date or before May 15? Thoughts?

I interviewed in October and have been on the alternate list ever since. I sent in an update letter in November as well as an additional recommendation letter in December. Nothing earth-shattering has happened since then but I'm wondering if I should send something to indicate I'm still very interested. And if so, should I send before the last decision date or before May 15? Thoughts?

Doubt it would hurt anything.
Who knows if it would help anthing... my guess is that it would not make any difference.

I was in a similar boat as you are in years past. Despite what some people may have said in this thread, unless you have something completely earth-shatteringly new to your application, there's never really any point to EVER sending in an update letter to Wayne, except maybe after May 15. MAYBE.

Wayne ranks its waitlist, with each applicant getting a score, at the admissions committee meeting following your interview. Year after year, they know which scores are going to be accepted and which will not. They won't ever tell you, so your best bet is to hold tight.

They're not going to do anything until after May 15 (two weeks from Tuesday). That's when it really picks up (I was accepted off the waitlist on May 17 last year; May 15 was on a Sunday).

There's heavy movement in May and June, with a little in July. One person in our class was pulled off of the waitlist during orientation. Hold tight people. Your day will come.

I will be an M2 in a few weeks, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot them my way.

I was in a similar boat as you are in years past. Despite what some people may have said in this thread, unless you have something completely earth-shatteringly new to your application, there's never really any point to EVER sending in an update letter to Wayne, except maybe after May 15. MAYBE.

Wayne ranks its waitlist, with each applicant getting a score, at the admissions committee meeting following your interview. Year after year, they know which scores are going to be accepted and which will not. They won't ever tell you, so your best bet is to hold tight.

They're not going to do anything until after May 15 (two weeks from Tuesday). That's when it really picks up (I was accepted off the waitlist on May 17 last year; May 15 was on a Sunday).

There's heavy movement in May and June, with a little in July. One person in our class was pulled off of the waitlist during orientation. Hold tight people. Your day will come.

I will be an M2 in a few weeks, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot them my way.

You may get pulled of the wait list on the next decision date (I believe it is the 9th). They pull people off the wait list every decision date as long as their score is higher than the scores of the newly interviewed students. I got pulled off in December, so keep your head up, the list does move!

They said an email would be sent out May 9th… Good luck to all :)
I interviewed on April 3 and they gave me a sheet that said interviewees should know no later than 2:00pm ET on May 2.

I interviewed on April 3 and they gave me a sheet that said interviewees should know no later than 2:00pm ET on May 2.

Unless we got different sheets, mine says May 9th, 2012.. just double-checked.

Unless we got different sheets, mine says May 9th, 2012.. just double-checked.

I just interviewed on April 26th and they said they had to add an extra week of interviews and that pushed back the last notification date

I just interviewed on April 26th and they said they had to add an extra week of interviews and that pushed back the last notification date
Thanks for the clarification, now I know I can hold off on neurotically checking my email for one more week.

That's unusual. In years past, the last decision date was right before the May 15 deadline (to hold more than one acceptance). I guess they're cutting it close.

Don't worry folks. Just watch these forums and make sure your contact information is up to date.

I just withdrew my acceptance today, good luck to everybody on the waitlist/still waiting to hear back! I was waitlisted until August last year and ultimately rejected (Wayne was the only interview I had), but afterwards I called Dawn and she reviewed my application with me for an hour! I can honestly say that she is the reason I had a successful application this time around, so even if you don't get in make sure you give her a call... she is absolutely awesome!

This email I just received explains it:

Unfortunately the Admissions Committee has been delayed in their process. The 7th round of offers will be on Wednesday, May 9th. You will be notified via email no later than 2:00 p.m. next Wednesday. Thank you for your patience and continued interest in our medical school.

Sincerely,

Dawn

Got accepted to Michigan State University CHM! So I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from Wayne. GL

bizarre decision

LOL. So says the guy who was trashing MSUs admissions because he "knows people" (probably you) who was rejected. I could go on for a long time about how this was a very easy decision, and how I couldn't be more sure of it, but I will not go out of my way to put down Wayne.

LOL. So says the guy who was trashing MSUs admissions because he "knows people" (probably you) who was rejected. I could go on for a long time about how this was a very easy decision, and how I couldn't be more sure of it, but I will not go out of my way to put down Wayne.

Just out of sheer curiosity, what were the reasons you chose MSU CHM over Wayne?

how much does the wait list move traditionally?

D'oh
Just got the email. Was waitlisted Q_Q
Hopefully the rest of you SDNers got some good news!

I'm waitlisted as well. I'm wondering how many applicants were interviewed, get accepted, and waitlisted this year?

ive been waitlisted since december and just got the email and still no change in status. Seems like they waitlist every one and no one comes off this damn list :(

I'm waitlisted too. Hopefully we get some good news in the next couple weeks.

Has anybody received any good news today? For some reason I have not received an answer yet I called just yesterday to confirm my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.