2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got accepted!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! So excited!

IS, 27Q, 3.57s, 3.69 cumulative, interviewed 4/3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

MCAT 34O
GPA: 4.00 science, 3.99 cumulative

whats your race/ethnicity? jw cuz that makes a big difference too.

i was jw cuz i got alternate, interviewed 4/11, IS 3.70c 3.63s and 27q also so pretty similar stats

whats your race/ethnicity? jw cuz that makes a big difference too.

i was jw cuz i got alternate, interviewed 4/11, IS 3.70c 3.63s and 27q also so pretty similar stats
I'm a white female. Good luck with the waitlist, hopefully there will be some movement soon since the 15th is next week.

Hey guys,

For those of you who have already received your financial aid, can you tell me anything about the Board of Gov Scholarship-MED. I've searched the website but I can't find a reference to it. Is this a renewable scholarship or is it a one-time thing? Also, how much are you guys planning to take out in loans? I only received federal unsubsidized loans so I'm weary about taking out the whole amount. Thanks!!

For current international students - what resources are available to you/are you taking advantage of, since you are not eligible for any finaid ( I take this to include grant/scholarships) from Wayne?

What information is in the mailed letter packet and how long did it take to receive it?

How do we accept/decline an offer?

Hey guys,

For those of you who have already received your financial aid, can you tell me anything about the Board of Gov Scholarship-MED. I've searched the website but I can't find a reference to it. Is this a renewable scholarship or is it a one-time thing? Also, how much are you guys planning to take out in loans? I only received federal unsubsidized loans so I'm weary about taking out the whole amount. Thanks!!
I haven't gotten my fin aid yet but I do know that the govt got rid of all subsidized loans for grad students recently so that's why you only got unsubsidized.

i have a quetion that i am a doctor from india i finished my undergraduation.i want to know how to apply for an 1 year mph programme in usa and what are the requirements

Will be withdrawing today. Attending OUWB. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question about the board of governors scholarship so I called financial aid. They told me that it was a grant, not a scholarship, and I should not expect similar amounts in the future (considering I have to reapply every year). The amount is based on need, though, so through talking to current students I discovered that the amount typically (at least in my small sample of the three people I talked to) doesnt change year to year provided that your financial situation does not change and you dont qualify for other merit-based aid. That is, I believe that merit-based aid affects the amount you get of need-based, but other people might be able to speak on this better than I can.

Hey guys,

has anyone received any offers post- May 15? I wonder if they've started moving the WL yet...

Based on last year's thread it seems like they won't be much wait list movement till end of may and first week of june

Based on last year's thread it seems like they won't be much wait list movement till end of may and first week of june

i tried looking for the 2010-2011 thread... a few weeks ago... couldn't find it, can you post it if you still can see it?

im guessing there hasnt been any waitlist movement since the 15-16th ? or they just havent sent any offers out, any one know about this

Officially withdrew from Wayne State today. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Can any current student explain the grading system

Upcoming Year 2 - It's honors/pass/fail.

They use Z-scores (standard scores) to rate all the students where the mean is a 500. To get honors you must get a 600 which is one SD above mean, or you must be in the top 10 percent of the class. You get a z-score for every exam and then one for the class as a whole, the only thing that matters is your overall z-score.

Passing is a 75% but they sometimes lower it depending on how the class did, for first year the passing score for a class has never been above a 70%. The general rule is as long as your above 400 on the z-score (greater than or equal to 1 SD below mean) you're going to pass the class.

It's possible to never honor an exam and honor the class (because people can say Honor exam 1, but fail exam 2) you can also honor the year which works the same way as honoring the class if you honor every class chances are you will honor the year, but it's possible for you to honor the year but not any one class (this is, however, unlikely).

The follow-up I know is going to be asked is - does this make it competitive? Yes and no. There are some def gunners because of this, but you learn who they are and avoid them. The truth is pre-clinical grades aren't all that important as long as you pass, just do really well on step 1.

Hope this answered your question, if you have any others feel free to PM me.

Thanks a lot, I have a better understanding of it now. I absolutely loved wayne - I'm just hoping for some kind of scholarship and/or aid because I'm out of state and the tutition is ridiculous.

what happened to the waitlist movement that everyone was looking forward to post May 15th. Im guessing this year the waitlist is going to suck, anyone call the office and ask about this?

what happened to the waitlist movement that everyone was looking forward to post May 15th. Im guessing this year the waitlist is going to suck, anyone call the office and ask about this?

Doubt it. Probably delayed, given that they delayed the last decision date. Wayne CONSISTENTLY has considerable waitlist movement.

Doubt it. Probably delayed, given that they delayed the last decision date. Wayne CONSISTENTLY has considerable waitlist movement.

Yes, our class of 2015 had someone come in during the middle of orientation. We also had a lot of people accepted about a week before orientation.

The waitlist moves a lot here.

I read a post on the CHM board that said the Canadian applicants last day for multiple acceptances this year was later (May 29th or 30th), so schools that have a high number of Canadian applicants may be waiting for that to shake out. Could be a reason, since both WSU and CHM waitlists seem not to have moved thus far.

Is there any one here on the wait list that got accepted to MSU COM?

Is there any one here on the wait list that got accepted to MSU COM?

Hi! I'm new to SDN..I've been following this forum since the day I was wait listed and decided to finally join. To answer your question, yes I've been accepted to MSUCOM and wait listed at WSU. I started to prepare for MSU today as far as ordering my orientation materials and sorting my immunization records. I was hoping I wouldn't have to! :(

If you have been accepted to MSUCOM, go there. It is better to start at a school that you got into rather than decline and hope you get off the waitlist. If you are concerned because its a D.O. school than know this. There is no different between MDs and DOs in the United States. Many current residents and doctors will tell you that its not about your title, its about being a good doctor. MSUCOM has a great program.

I was worried about the DO thing at first, but I have spoken to doctors, current MD and DO students and they told me what you said...but WSU is my first choice and has been my first choice since high school. I went to WSU for undergrad and I have spent a lot of time in Detroit and at the med school and its where my heart is. I'm actually happy about MSU since its one of the top DO schools in the nation :).

MSUCOM does have a DMC campus... Also things can get tricky if you've already taken out loans and done all the prereq things that are needed to do to start school at MSU. It is also a decent size of money lost if you have already got an apartment in East Lansing to have to switch to one in Detroit/Metro.

Yeah I'm on the waiting list for DMC..I was placed at Macomb and since I live very close by..I won't be moving out so I don't have to worry about losing money for the apartment..and as far as loans go..I haven't accepted any yet and MSU gave me an extension for paying my tuition. All in all, I'm ok for now, no major losses, so I hope WSU's wait list has some movement soon.

Ah, nice. Seems to be that your minimizing your losses should you get into Wayne. You have about 2 weeks or so, good luck!

Yeah I'm on the waiting list for DMC..I was placed at Macomb and since I live very close by..I won't be moving out so I don't have to worry about losing money for the apartment..and as far as loans go..I haven't accepted any yet and MSU gave me an extension for paying my tuition. All in all, I'm ok for now, no major losses, so I hope WSU's wait list has some movement soon.

Have you considered deferring a year for MSUCOM? That would be safer. There is a bigger difference after medical school when you apply to certain residencies. Talk to osteopathic students that just graduated and the majority will tell you that it is a little harder to get MD residencies such as dermatology and others.

Yes, I've considered deferring, but all of my friends keep telling me not to waste a year. I have been putting off doing anything for MSU, because I would much rather be an MD. To me, it seems that no one ever dreams of becoming a DO, they become DOs because they didn't get into an MD school. The DOs I know didn't even apply to MD schools because their stats weren't high enough. I don't want to be looked at that way. I started my MSU requirements because I don't want to be disenrolled while I make that decision. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I know a lot of smart people at MSUCOM, but I also know that they would've preferred an MD school had they had the option.

You're right about residencies and I don't think it would be very fun taking the COMLEX and USMLE!

Are you wait listed at Wayne too? What are your plans?

Officially withdrew - good luck guys. I absolutely loved the school! Send them letters of interest!

So strange that there is no movement. Has anyone called the office to get any updates yet?

Called and was told that last week they sent out a few offers and that if they have any to send, they will likely send them tomorrow. The *if* part was slightly depressing...

I really dont understand whats going on. If the last day to choose one school was may 15, then shouldnt there be like a lot of movement since people that had multiple acceptances had to withdraw.

I called wayne a week ago (a week after the 15th if i remember) and was told that they sent a very few offers. I thought that with a class size of approx 300, there would be way more movement right after the May 15 deadline, guess I was wrong.

Not sure about the canadian comment above, but I doubt that will make a significant difference, arent there a lot of OOS students accepted.

Oh well, ive pretty much given up hope but ... w.e

Status
Not open for further replies.