2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've considered deferring, but all of my friends keep telling me not to waste a year. I have been putting off doing anything for MSU, because I would much rather be an MD. To me, it seems that no one ever dreams of becoming a DO, they become DOs because they didn't get into an MD school. The DOs I know didn't even apply to MD schools because their stats weren't high enough. I don't want to be looked at that way. I started my MSU requirements because I don't want to be disenrolled while I make that decision. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I know a lot of smart people at MSUCOM, but I also know that they would've preferred an MD school had they had the option.

You're right about residencies and I don't think it would be very fun taking the COMLEX and USMLE!

Are you wait listed at Wayne too? What are your plans?
If you're not sold on the DO path, then don't do it. What kind of time constraints are you looking at? Are you under 30? Single? If so, then what's the rush? I have nothing against DOs and MSUCOM is a good program, but if you hope to enter a specialty you'll have a much easier time with an MD. And, if that is where your heart lies, take a year to strengthen your application and hopefully get in to a program you're excited about next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree it is so weird. Last year there was so much wait list movement and there really is none compared to last year.

offered a spot this morning

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the MD, DO debate, a lot of us on the waitlist are probably going through this right now but seriously there is no way in HELL im wasting another year of my life to re-apply. But that a personal choice of mine, im not saying I absolutely love going DO but its definitely a very reasonable and safe alternative.

I am in the same boat. I am currently on the wait list for Wayne State, Vanderbilt and Dartmouth. I am also accepted at MSUCOM.This is my second application cycle. If I do not get off the wait list anywhere, I will go to MSUCOM.
I spoke with a lot of practicing doctors and DO's in the US. All of them said that MSUCOM is a very good option.

I am in the same boat. I am currently on the wait list for Wayne State, Vanderbilt and Dartmouth. I am also accepted at MSUCOM.This is my second application cycle. If I do not get off the wait list anywhere, I will go to MSUCOM.
I spoke with a lot of practicing doctors and DO's in the US. All of them said that MSUCOM is a very good option.

I agree, and MSUCOM is a great school and program

Regarding the MD DO debate. It just depends..! I would definitely wait a year to get accepted to WSU over MSUCOM. Dont talk to current doctors, instead speak to current graduates that have applied for residencies. MDs have it a little easier. 1 year is nothing compared to the future of your entire life. Good luck in the next 7-12 years of your life if your complaining about 1 year. I got rejected to WSU and placed on a waitlist for MSU and i wish i was in your position.

Hey guys, so I'm going to interject about this MD/DO thing. I was in your same exact position last year (I'm a rising MS2 here at Wayne State).

I was waitlisted at WSU during the first interview cycle, but accepted at MSUCOM during their first acceptance cycle. Honestly, I thought about the MD/DO thing, but in reality the only people who care are people on SDN and some random MDs with ego issues. I was accepted off the waitlist at WSU about 2 weeks before orientation and that next day I hand delivered my acceptance of the seat to the admissions office and about 2 weeks after that (literally the day after my MSUCOM orientation was scheduled) I was accepted at MSUCHM and declined as I was already going to WSU.

I decided that it wasn't worth wasting a year for me just to get an MD, because with certain exceptions most residencies are just as obtainable. Considering I want to go into IM, I wasn't too concerned.

Moral of the story: While you can defer for a year at MSUCOM, for a chance you'll get taken off the waitlist is it really worth the year of doing nothing productive? I don't know about you, but when I was accepted to MSUCOM - I was super excited I would be going to medical school. I didn't sulk about how it wasn't an MD program.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!

Sileni, youre a good person but give yourself 2 more years. I have an older brother that just graduated at wsu and his best friends at msucom was also at your position but didnt get into wsu. They were so worried about waisting 1 year. They didnt get the radiology residency that they always wanted and were limited to others. He told me if i get rejected then accept a DO program. But if i get waitlisted. Just give it 1 more year. I love Msucom but there is a difference with MDs. They are 100% the same until you apply for residency. Its not about the letters after your name. Its about your career and future. The debate is not MD vs DO. Its that youre so close to get into MD but will attend a DO just because your worried about waisting 1 year.
irondude a few comments above this one explained it perfectly. there are other factors. but overall 1 year isnt much.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am actually surprised to see so many people in the same boat (in at MSUCOM, waitlisted at Wayne). It's been a tough situation for me because I really do want to go to Wayne and have worked through college to ensure my competitiveness. While applying I had a 4.0 GPA and all the expected extracurriculars, etc, aside from a very bad verbal MCAT sub-score.

I have had people tell me, "oh, what's a year, just retake the MCAT and reapply," while others have said, "just go, the end result is the same." What I want to say though is that the only person who knows what is best for you is yourself.

For anyone, whether you are in this situation or a similar derivative, ask yourself, "why did I apply to X school in the first place?" There had to have been something you liked about it or you would not have wasted time (insert any other opportunity cost) applying to said school.

Myself personally, I would love to go to WSU. I'd be honored and excited beyond belief. However, the future is not guaranteed and I do not know what will happen for sure in a year or so. Will I freak out and not get any sleep and bomb the verbal section on the MCAT even though all my practice scores were significantly higher, again? Questions like these have filled my mind over this application cycle.

As an aside, I also think about all the people still waitlisted at MSUCOM, as they would love to be in our positions.

What I do know now is I applied to COM, got in, have a guaranteed opportunity to become a doctor, and that this is something I am not willing to give up. COM saw something in me it liked, and perhaps Wayne will join them eventually. If Wayne does not come around I will be going to MSU.

Also, this is wishful thinking, but I really wish Wayne would be more transparent about their waitlist. I don't see how telling applicants who invested all this energy in applying to their medical school what section of the list they are on is bad.

That being said, good luck everyone, there is still plenty of time! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am actually surprised to see so many people in the same boat (in at MSUCOM, waitlisted at Wayne). It's been a tough situation for me because I really do want to go to Wayne and have worked through college to ensure my competitiveness. While applying I had a 4.0 GPA and all the expected extracurriculars, etc, aside from a very bad verbal MCAT sub-score.

I have had people tell me, "oh, what's a year, just retake the MCAT and reapply," while others have said, "just go, the end result is the same." What I want to say though is that the only person who knows what is best for you is yourself.

For anyone, whether you are in this situation or a similar derivative, ask yourself, "why did I apply to X school in the first place?" There had to have been something you liked about it or you would not have wasted time (insert any other opportunity cost) applying to said school.

Myself personally, I would love to go to WSU. I'd be honored and excited beyond belief. However, the future is not guaranteed and I do not know what will happen for sure in a year or so. Will I freak out and not get any sleep and bomb the verbal section on the MCAT even though all my practice scores were significantly higher, again? Questions like these have filled my mind over this application cycle.

As an aside, I also think about all the people still waitlisted at MSUCOM, as they would love to be in our positions.

What I do know now is I applied to COM, got in, have a guaranteed opportunity to become a doctor, and that this is something I am not willing to give up. COM saw something in me it liked, and perhaps Wayne will join them eventually. If Wayne does not come around I will be going to MSU.

Also, this is wishful thinking, but I really wish Wayne would be more transparent about their waitlist. I don't see how telling applicants who invested all this energy in applying to their medical school what section of the list they are on is bad.

That being said, good luck everyone, there is still plenty of time! :D

Well said. I am wait listed at WSU with an acceptance at CCOM and will definitely attend CCOM if wayne doesn't work out.

Good luck to all of us on the waitlist. For those of us with an acceptance, we should really be thankful since there are people out there applying for multiple years with no acceptances.

Those of you in your second or perhaps third application cycles, what did you do to strengthen your application? Was there a lot of focus on what you did to improve yourself? A lot of extra secondary questions?

Do whats best for your whole future..! Not whats best for you next year.

Sileni, youre a good person but give yourself 2 more years. I have an older brother that just graduated at wsu and his best friends at msucom was also at your position but didnt get into wsu. They were so worried about waisting 1 year. They didnt get the radiology residency that they always wanted and were limited to others. He told me if i get rejected then accept a DO program. But if i get waitlisted. Just give it 1 more year. I love Msucom but there is a difference with MDs. They are 100% the same until you apply for residency. Its not about the letters after your name. Its about your career and future. The debate is not MD vs DO. Its that youre so close to get into MD but will attend a DO just because your worried about waisting 1 year.
irondude a few comments above this one explained it perfectly. there are other factors. but overall 1 year isnt much.

I think you misread my post, I'm actually a rising year 2 student at Wayne State...

The truth of the matter is, there are DO radiology residencies, and the stigma towards DOs is going away with time. I guess someone would have to do the research with the matches (ACGME/AOA) and find out statistically what the difference is, but as we don't have the data it's pure speculation.

My point is, one shouldn't make this decisions so quick - I love it here at WSU and frankly couldn't imagine going anywhere else, but I was very lucky to get in. My purpose is to become a physician MD or DO is irrelevent.

My advice is to think about it long and hard. Personally, had I not gotten into WSU when I did, I would have just gone to MSUCOM.

If you study hard and do well on your tests, you will be able to do what you want to do.

Those of you in your second or perhaps third application cycles, what did you do to strengthen your application? Was there a lot of focus on what you did to improve yourself? A lot of extra secondary questions?

I'm on my third app cycle and this year was accepted to 4 schools, and am starting at Ohio State this fall. I volunteered on a hospital floor (basic stuff), volunteered again in a hospital, worked as a volunteer research assistant, and took the mcat again.
In almost every interview this year I was asked either what someone should do if they don't get in, or what I did to improve myself. Schools put a lot of weight on the fact that you look at your situation as a way to improve yourself and make yourself a better future physician. Re-applying seems like the worst thing imaginable, but I'm glad I had to because I was able to gain a lot of great experience and I think I'll be a better student and physician because of it. As long as you can show that you made an attempt to find out where you could improve yourself/your application and you worked toward that improvement, that's all adcoms really care about in my experience(s).

I would advise everyone to attend MSUCOM. Remember that even if you reapply you arent guaranteed to be accepted to Wayne. I was a reapplicant this year to WSU and was once again put on the wait list. The fact of the matter is that unless you already started boosting your app, it is too late to do so for this cycle which means you would have to waste 2 years instead of 1. Furthermore, even if you do improve your app you cant expect anything from Wayne! The first time I applied I had little clinical experience, no leadership experience and no research experience. I was able to get all of these things for the 2nd go around (9 months scribing, MCAT instructor, publication) and was still waitlisted for 7 months (just withdrew).

I agree that Wayne needs to work on their transparency. The reality is that you are nothing special for being on the waitlist. Wayne interviews 1000 people and will eventually accept 500 (including wait list acceptances). Since they do not reject post interview this means that there are at least 500 people initially on the waitlist (probably more like 700)! The odds just arent good, especially considering the slow waitlist movement this year.

I am not sure what MSUCOM's policies on deferment are but I cant imagine they hand them out like candy. If you turn down the acceptance this year you can pretty much guarantee yourself a rejection next time. This would be tragic if you fail to get into MD once again. MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools and cheapest for those of you who are in state. Dont listen to these stories about how so-and-so isnt a radiologist now because they went DO. Sure, its going to be harder to match into competitive specialties but its still possible if you work hard (which you are going to have to do no matter what type of medical school you go to). I am also willing to bet that so-and-so wouldnt have matched into radiology if they had been accepted to MD.

I would advise everyone to attend MSUCOM. Remember that even if you reapply you arent guaranteed to be accepted to Wayne. I was a reapplicant this year to WSU and was once again put on the wait list. The fact of the matter is that unless you already started boosting your app, it is too late to do so for this cycle which means you would have to waste 2 years instead of 1. Furthermore, even if you do improve your app you cant expect anything from Wayne! The first time I applied I had little clinical experience, no leadership experience and no research experience. I was able to get all of these things for the 2nd go around (9 months scribing, MCAT instructor, publication) and was still waitlisted for 7 months (just withdrew).

I agree that Wayne needs to work on their transparency. The reality is that you are nothing special for being on the waitlist. Wayne interviews 1000 people and will eventually accept 500 (including wait list acceptances). Since they do not reject post interview this means that there are at least 500 people initially on the waitlist (probably more like 700)! The odds just arent good, especially considering the slow waitlist movement this year.

I am not sure what MSUCOM's policies on deferment are but I cant imagine they hand them out like candy. If you turn down the acceptance this year you can pretty much guarantee yourself a rejection next time. This would be tragic if you fail to get into MD once again. MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools and cheapest for those of you who are in state. Dont listen to these stories about how so-and-so isnt a radiologist now because they went DO. Sure, its going to be harder to match into competitive specialties but its still possible if you work hard (which you are going to have to do no matter what type of medical school you go to). I am also willing to bet that so-and-so wouldnt have matched into radiology if they had been accepted to MD.

I like the cut of your jib good sir.

This is not a DO vs MD debate. Every1 reading this right now that is on a waitlist has a competitive application and we can handle medical school and be successful. If we werent we wouldve been rejected a few months ago. I got accepted to another DO institution but i will wait next year to attend MSUCOM if i dont get word from them this year. I got rejected from WSU.
This is just my opinion!!!!!! I would rather wait 1 year guaranteed into MSUCOM then to start at this other DO program this year for a few important reasons not bc i dont want to wait 1 year. MSUCOM is much better in regards to how the students perform on the board scores and its matching and other personal reasons.
Now once i got accepted to that other DO school. I was happy that im officially going to be a doctor. After i got word from msucom. I started to reevaluate my decision making and started to decide which program is best for me.
If i had to decide a guaranteed MSUCOM class of 2017 or waitlist class of 2016 wsu. I would never give up on wsu. I would wait it out until i get rejected from wsu. I respect DO schools 100% but i would not like to regret myself in the future recalling that moment ohh what if i have waited a few weeks and i wouldve got into wsu and had more opportunities in the long run. That is the reason why i will be attending msucom over the other DO. (other bc i dont want to debate whether or not the school is good lol) id rather take msucoms offer and wait 1 year over another school that i might regret. Im sorry but thats my opinion. Honestly if i was guaranteed u of m next year over wsu. Id take u of m. Its my opinion and i dont want to offend any1. Medical school journey is long and these decisions might impact you in the long run. Mine was msucom vs _com lol and yours is wsu vs msucom. Remember this is just my opinion.

*if you work hard youll get into any specialty you want.
You are not correct..! I respect DOs but thats not true. I will be attending an osteopathic school and the more competitive MD residencies will never accept a DO even if your scores are extremely competitive. I hope thall change in the near future lol but dont say that today.

You are not correct..! I respect DOs but thats not true. I will be attending an osteopathic school and the more competitive MD residencies will never accept a DO even if your scores are extremely competitive. I hope thall change in the near future lol but dont say that today.
I think the point is there are DO residencies for each of the specialties as well, so even if literally every MD residency for a particular field would never consider any DO (doubtful, but whatever) you could still get into a DO residency and enter that specialty.

I understand why you are choosing to wait in your situation when you have a guaranteed acceptance to MSUCOM next year, however this does not parallel the situation of those who are on the waitlist at Wayne. In fact, I was trying to illustrate the fact that reapplication to Wayne is far from a guarantee that you will be accepted next time, even if you improve your application.

And I never said if you work hard in DO school you can get whatever specialty you want nor did I say that you could get an MD residency. I said you could be a radiologist, which I stand by (google DO radiology if you dont believe me). Many people use going to DO school as a cop out for their own failures, and the person who blamed the inability to match into rad is just one example of this.

I understand why you are choosing to wait in your situation when you have a guaranteed acceptance to MSUCOM next year, however this does not parallel the situation of those who are on the waitlist at Wayne. In fact, I was trying to illustrate the fact that reapplication to Wayne is far from a guarantee that you will be accepted next time, even if you improve your application.

And I never said if you work hard in DO school you can get whatever specialty you want nor did I say that you could get an MD residency. I said you could be a radiologist, which I stand by (google DO radiology if you dont believe me). Many people use going to DO school as a cop out for their own failures, and the person who blamed the inability to match into rad is just one example of this.

Thank you for understanding. However, MSUCOM starts on the 13th. WSU i think starts in july. Idk if youre able to leave msucom once you start and i wouldnt even if i got accepted to wsu. But the majority of the students that are waitlisted to wsu were accepted to msucom already.
Once again its my opinion. I would defer msucom this week and wait 1 month to hear back from wsu. If not, i would reapply or try my best to get accepted to wsu. If i dont get in. No worries i will attend msucom and enjoy every moment of my life. I hope you understand what im trying to say. I love the DO program especially at msu. But wsu is a stronger institution that is amazing. This is a tough decision with many factors. Remember its a chance with wsu vs msu but at the same time you can defer if you want. If time is a factor then msucom is a no brainer. If you can hold a year, id give it a chance lol
Good luck

The most important thing you can do is critically examine your application with someone from admissions at at least one school, more if possible. Understand your weaknesses and take action to improve. That is the number one thing that admissions will be looking for in a re-applicant: Did you take the time to really understand and acknowledge the weaknesses in your application, and what action did you take to improve. It may be that you need more clinical experience, another letter of rec, or just write a stronger application. If you're planning to re-apply, just make sure you do something productive with the next year that is specifically geared toward improving your application.

accepted this week! oos
WSU SOM CLASS OF 2016

Hi,

I'm also on the wait list for WSU but have also been accepted to LECOM (an osteopathic school). I also put in my deposit for LECOM back in March. I know that the alternate list letter that WSU sent out said something along the lines of "you will not be considered if you have already matriculated into another medical school, osteopathic or allopathic". I was just wondering if sending my deposit in counts as "matriculating" and if I will still be considered as an applicant from the wait list. Any kind of help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm also on the wait list for WSU but have also been accepted to LECOM (an osteopathic school). I also put in my deposit for LECOM back in March. I know that the alternate list letter that WSU sent out said something along the lines of "you will not be considered if you have already matriculated into another medical school, osteopathic or allopathic". I was just wondering if sending my deposit in counts as "matriculating" and if I will still be considered as an applicant from the wait list. Any kind of help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have the exact same question as you. Thanks to anyone in advance who could shed some light on this!

I have the exact same question as you. Thanks to anyone in advance who could shed some light on this!

My alternate list letter did not say anything similar to what the previous poster mentioned. However, as far as what matriculation means, it is definitely not sending in your deposit. From what I understand, attending orientation for a school is regarded as matriculating at that specific school. For instance, people with multiple acceptances may have paid X, Y or Z in deposits to various schools, but are not matriculated at any single one until they go to (one) orientation.

Hope that helps!

Sending a deposit is NOT matriculating. Matriculation occurs during orientation/beginning of classes. Often people get in even after matriculation, despite the claims that some schools make about not considering these students.

I certainly hope you go to a DO school so that you can learn some humility. MSUCOM is an excellent institution. Your brother's friend didn't get into the residency program he wanted because he didn't work hard enough for it. If you don't believe me, take a look at MSUCOM's residency match list; it's spectacular to say the least. Medical students must be mature, humble, and realistic. This is something you will learn if you have a year off to reflect on your convictions.

Everyone gets exactly what they want in life. If you want something bad enough, you will work as hard as it takes to get it. If you don't get it, it simply means that you didn't want it bad enough. Think about it.

Regarding the MD DO debate. It just depends..! I would definitely wait a year to get accepted to WSU over MSUCOM. Dont talk to current doctors, instead speak to current graduates that have applied for residencies. MDs have it a little easier. 1 year is nothing compared to the future of your entire life. Good luck in the next 7-12 years of your life if your complaining about 1 year. I got rejected to WSU and placed on a waitlist for MSU and i wish i was in your position.

I certainly hope you go to a DO school so that you can learn some humility. MSUCOM is an excellent institution. Your brother's friend didn't get into the residency program he wanted because he didn't work hard enough for it. If you don't believe me, take a look at MSUCOM's residency match list; it's spectacular to say the least. Medical students must be mature, humble, and realistic. This is something you will learn if you have a year off to reflect on your convictions.

Everyone gets exactly what they want in life. If you want something bad enough, you will work as hard as it takes to get it. If you don't get it, it simply means that you didn't want it bad enough. Think about it.

So I had called the admissions office and explained that I might be starting at MSUCOM and I was wondering if there was any way I could remain on the waitlist because I would drop out of MSUCOM to attend WSU...she told me that they actually wouldn't know if I matriculated at a DO school..they only know if you matriculate at an allopathic school.

Are you IS or OOS
Hey..sorry for the delay. I'm OOS.

PS. for those who were accepted how long did it take from receiving the phone call to getting the email package?

I just withdrew my acceptance from WSU today. I just got off the wait list with another school. I received the call for that school on May 30th. Don't lose faith just yet. I'm sure that Wayne and other schools are experiencing a lot of turnover right now from students in similar situations as myself. I know there is 1 open spot in the class of 2016 at least ;). Good luck!

I just withdrew my acceptance from WSU today. I just got off the wait list with another school. I received the call for that school on May 30th. Don't lose faith just yet. I'm sure that Wayne and other schools are experiencing a lot of turnover right now from students in similar situations as myself. I know there is 1 open spot in the class of 2016 at least ;). Good luck!

Hey guys,
For those of you that withdraw or get accepted could you possibly state if you are IS OR OOS since both lists are different .

Thanks

Hey..sorry for the delay. I'm OOS.

PS. for those who were accepted how long did it take from receiving the phone call to getting the email package?
It took forever for me to get the packet. Like 2 weeks. I got my Access ID before I got the acceptance packet. They sent an email with the form to hold your spot if you didn't want to wait though.

EDIT - It might be faster for the wait list though. Didn't think of that when posting.

Last edited:
was accepted off waitlist and just withdrew today. will be attending MSUCHM :)
I hope this opens up a spot for one of the people still waiting. good luck!

just got the call from Dawn.
ACCEPTED :) :)
OOS (good ol' jersey)
stats in profile link.
omg. still in shock lol.

Last edited:
Just got the call!
Definitely rocking perma-grin for the next couple of weeks.

IS
29R
3.88 GPA
3.86 sGPA

not to be md/doing it in the middle of this thread but since many people had the question, i deferred my MSUCOM acceptance a year to reapply MD and am glad I did. applying earlier the second cycle allowed me to end up with multiple interviews and get to chose where i wanted to go. ended up where i wanted anyway, so your saying that "if you want something bad enough you will work as hard as it takes to get it" is true. and we all have anecdotal evidence one way or the other about the bias, so i will not add my own, but suffice to say that you have to be ok with what you're doing. its a long road, that goes pretty fast, and can be depressing. don't try and force it. MSU will fill your seat no problem. But i also agree with what others have said, if you are just going to apply with the same application don't bother. take your acceptance and get started.

Last edited:
Good point. But we were discussing waitlist WSU 2016 vs MSUCOM 2016 or 2017. I think I would sit a few weeks for WSU 2016 and have a guaranteed MSUCOM 2017. But some ppl disagree and would start MSUCOM ASAP regardless if they get accepted to WSU bc they don't want to "waste" 1 year. I never said to reapply to WSU. I said to wait for this cycle to end.

Are you a non traditional applicant?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SDN Mobile

So I had called the admissions office and explained that I might be starting at MSUCOM and I was wondering if there was any way I could remain on the waitlist because I would drop out of MSUCOM to attend WSU...she told me that they actually wouldn't know if I matriculated at a DO school..they only know if you matriculate at an allopathic school.

That might be true but it could also be against the rules since I clearly remember reading in multiple places that once you matriculate (start MSU) you cannot just drop out and start another school. They might not know but I don't think its a good idea to start off medical school by doing something thats against the rules. Risking both acceptances and a bad record for the future is not worth it imo.

Yup. And it's stupid as well. But the rules might not apply to an osteopathic school. Theyre 2 separate programs under 2 different policies. Aacomas vs AAMC. I know some people that withdrew their application a week before orientation of their DO school and they were accepted months ago into both that DO and their number 1 choice MD. Same applies to aadsas (dental) vs AAMC. Idk why these certain types of people wait, but its only my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.