China and Eastern Asia 2012-2013 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

Started by SuperCJT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you already have someone who can probably compose and sing the class of 2017 anthem!!

and yea your own class cheerleaders would be sweet haha.

i think you can get accounting for dummies, no?

Class anthem? Ooooh I'm so up for this! I actually composed a satirical musical about premeds in JC (we have an equivalent to JC in the province I'm from), it was pretty awesome and we had a lot of fun doing it. Also, we should prolly also do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Mrlnh3vebSc#at=27
Pepper - I really hope you get in! You seem awesome, and I think we'd make a great team!
 
Class anthem? Ooooh I'm so up for this! I actually composed a satirical musical about premeds in JC (we have an equivalent to JC in the province I'm from), it was pretty awesome and we had a lot of fun doing it. Also, we should prolly also do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Mrlnh3vebSc#at=27
Pepper - I really hope you get in! You seem awesome, and I think we'd make a great team!

well thanks lol. hope i get in too. i think i saw the play you wrote a while ago. man, principal playwright? i cant even write a coherent sdn response usually.
 
aw man, did you use turbotax or something? taxes are annoying. haha. and IRS is scary.

oh where are you btw? i am in singapore now and the taxi is horrible. been standing around for two hrs and ignored. those that stopped had no manners, i was not done talking they simply drove away. wtf right. do i really look like a tourist 🙁

haha, i dont know anything about turbotax, but it sounds like it'll make things easier. will look into it. I simply plowed through the tax forms. It was super super super long and altho not difficult just plain annoying to have to spend time on it. I hate it when you fill out that main 1040 or ez form, and then you realize you have to fill out a dozen other ones too. ended up having to pay only about $500 USD.

i'm in Taiwan. haha the taxi lines are always freaking long, and i think you gotta find a taxi waiting area, or else they dont stop for you (right? i hope i know what im talkign about here). the bad manner happens in tw and soemtimes in boston too. I guess maybe it's just somethign about taxi drivers. maybe they just got out of traffic lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really?! Then how in the world did I get in? I have neither. (I only have one sem of research and a 3.5 GPA, although I have a lot of other artsy stuff that may have helped and am an opera singer)

But I am so grateful for this acceptance and am so excited to be moving to Singapore with my sweetheart! I love it there and the only problem is that I might get really really fat.... =/

Best of luck to Pepper.... miracles happen, I'm rooting for you!!! Remember how I thought I bombed my interview and was so sure I got rejected? Well I was right away accepted, not even wait-listed. And it was really late in the game too, I thought all hope was lost by now. So you really never know.... I only got my offer a few days ago, so they're still giving out offers. There is hope!!!

I hope they really dont see just my imperfect transcript only to determine my capabilities and my character (My GPA is really low) 😀
 
WAITLISTED.

Imma waitlist kitteh rite now.

Woo. Really excited...to reapply!!

Enjoying Koi Cafe Grass Jelly Milk Tea right now! Maybe that's why I'm not very upset. Milk tea cures everything.
 
Last edited:
WAITLISTED.

Imma waitlist kitteh rite now.

Woo. Really excited...to reapply!!

Enjoying Koi Cafe Grass Jelly Milk Tea right now! Maybe that's why I'm not very upset. Milk tea cures everything.

Don't give up yet! There is still chance you can get in 🙂
 
WAITLISTED.

Imma waitlist kitteh rite now.

Woo. Really excited...to reapply!!

Enjoying Koi Cafe Grass Jelly Milk Tea right now! Maybe that's why I'm not very upset. Milk tea cures everything.

Awww =(
I hope someone refuses the offer and gives you their spot. At least you weren't full-out rejected. Best of luck!
 
so guys on the waitlist train, what's your next plan?

thanks for the support guys. I plan to strengthen my clinical hrs and mcat. lol. oh and reapply.
 
So I've been reading other forums and it seems to me that Duke-NUS students are advising people NOT to go to Duke-NUS. Is this correct (although it is uncertain if they just said it because those students wanted to practice in the States for sure)? Any Duke-NUS students here who could give frank advice about the program? Do Duke-NUS students actually like the program?

This is a huge life decision and I don't want to make it lightly.
 
Don't give up yet! There is still chance you can get in 🙂

thanks <3

Green tea macchiato! Haha. Anw welcome on board. :/

what is that, i gots to try 😀

Got acceptance letter this morning! For those who are still waiting, don't give up your hope!

congrats!

Awww =(
I hope someone refuses the offer and gives you their spot. At least you weren't full-out rejected. Best of luck!

hopefully lol.
 
So I've been reading other forums and it seems to me that Duke-NUS students are advising people NOT to go to Duke-NUS. Is this correct (although it is uncertain if they just said it because those students wanted to practice in the States for sure)? Any Duke-NUS students here who could give frank advice about the program? Do Duke-NUS students actually like the program?

This is a huge life decision and I don't want to make it lightly.

Did u find the one on the premed forum? I think i've seen that one. I think most of them just want to bring to the attention of potential applicants some aspects of the program that they may not be aware of. When i met med students during my applicant day, they looked relatively happy. But some US students did voice concern about residency, considering that it's new and there are still kinks to work out. Take my words with a grain of salt tho. Its all impressions and i have no experience and inside knowledge about the program.

I would suggest that u investigate ur options for returning to practice in the US if that is what u want. Probably best just to email duke-nus about ur situation and career plans. They can probably provide the best/accurate info on how easy it is to return to the states in the long run.

I am curious how current students feel about the program too. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.
 
in regards to physiologist's concern, i have always assumed that foreigners are going to have more difficulties adjusting. most ppl i encountered dont even have basic english. its hot as hell here, and manners are...rare. dont flame me im not trying to paint a bad picture of singapore. youre gonna spend maybe 8 yrs here. any concerns now should be addressed.

no this is not an attempt to make you give up your spot haha 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The reason why you don't hear much is because noone knows. Things are changing fast in this school, so what we experienced might not be accurate for you guys. But if you want a US residency, you should go to a US med school.
 
in regards to physiologist's concern, i have always assumed that foreigners are going to have more difficulties adjusting. most ppl i encountered dont even have basic english. its hot as hell here, and manners are...rare. dont flame me im not trying to paint a bad picture of singapore. youre gonna spend maybe 8 yrs here. any concerns now should be addressed.

no this is not an attempt to make you give up your spot haha 😛

I'm not American, I'm Canadian, and Canadian med schools have cut and dry gpa cutoffs that I will never meet. I have lived in Singapore and I love it and don't mind living there permanently or long term. I love the weather, the food, the public transit, etc. I have a lot if Singaporean friends, and while my first few months was an adjustment, I learned to truly appreciate Singapore and Singaporeans. I'd rather live there than the US, but my family wants me to be closer to them so I want the option to practice open in case I feel compelled to come back. Neither me nor my fiancé have any roots in the US, even though he's a US citizen (his dad is American who lived 33 years in Sg and his mum is Sg). Living in Singapore is not a bad thing to us.

I spoke to Dr. Kamei, and he said that although moving back is complicated, it is not impossible and certainly won't be too difficult since I want to practice primary care.

So I think I made my decision unless my last post-interview decision at a US school is a positive one.
 
Last edited:
I'm not American, I'm Canadian, and Canadian med schools have cut and dry gpa cutoffs that I will never meet. I have lived in Singapore and I love it and don't mind living there permanently or long term. I love the weather, the food, the public transit, etc. I have a lot if Singaporean friends, and while my first few months was an adjustment, I learned to truly appreciate Singapore and Singaporeans. I'd rather live there than the US, but my family wants me to be closer to them so I want the option to practice open in case I feel compelled to come back. Neither me nor my fiancé have any roots in the US, even though he's a US citizen (his dad is American who lived 33 years in Sg and his mum is Sg). Living in Singapore is not a bad thing to us.

I spoke to Dr. Kamei, and he said that although moving back is complicated, it is not impossible and certainly won't be too difficult since I want to practice primary care.

So I think I made my decision unless my last post-interview decision at a US school is a positive one.

Sounds like a win! 👍

Good luck with ur US school tho!
 
Sounds like a win! 👍

Good luck with ur US school tho!

Thanks! And yeah, I really hope I get into that school, although my fiancé doesn't like the area (climate is too cold for him so he'd rather live in sg haha) - to be honest though I love that US school. The curriculum is not as appealing as Duke-NUS, but at least no service commitment and I could practice anywhere in the world without issue. It's also one of the very few US schools that is not either 1) Super-elite and impossible to get into for mere mortals; 2) In a really undesirable location (either in the middle of a dangerous gang-ridden ghetto/slum or in the middle of absolute nowhere). And it was the only school I interviewed at aside from Duke-NUS where my fellow interviewees were super-nice and friendly and not horribly standoffish and/or boring.
 
Thanks! And yeah, I really hope I get into that school, although my fiancé doesn't like the area (climate is too cold for him so he'd rather live in sg haha) - to be honest though I love that US school. The curriculum is not as appealing as Duke-NUS, but at least no service commitment and I could practice anywhere in the world without issue. It's also one of the very few US schools that is not either 1) Super-elite and impossible to get into for mere mortals; 2) In a really undesirable location (either in the middle of a dangerous gang-ridden ghetto/slum or in the middle of absolute nowhere). And it was the only school I interviewed at aside from Duke-NUS where my fellow interviewees were super-nice and friendly and not horribly standoffish and/or boring.

Which school is it? 🙂 best of luck. Hopefully you get both and then you can choose wisely. 🙂
 
Which school is it? 🙂 best of luck. Hopefully you get both and then you can choose wisely. 🙂

It wouldn't be a choice. I'd be going to Minnesota. It's a great school and would allow me to practice wherever I want, including Singapore. If I don't like Minnesota I am not forced to stay there- I can do residency somewhere else like California.

I doubt I'll get in though. It's really late in the game, and I still haven't heard back.

I'd be happy in Singapore though. I'd be happy at either of those places. There is just the service commitment issue and the fact that my fiancé/husband would have a hard time finding a job in Singapore as a foreigner.
 
Singapore actually recognizes only a relatively small number of US med schools ~30-40 schools, I believe. You'll have to google it to confirm. But then Singapore loves talent, so maybe there are exceptions and special circumstances.

Can someone elaborate on monthly expenses in Singapore? I found an expat website that kinda gives a good summary of what the expenses will add up to, but kinda wanna hear some confirmation from locals. Thx!
 
might be useful to those who are considering the possibility of practicing in Singapore after attending US med schools:

http://www.healthprofessionals.gov....eddoctor/international_medical_graduates.html

Minnesota isn't on there 🙁

Looks like my fiancé and I have to pick between our families. Somebody is going to get upset no matter what.

This stinks.

Edit: fiancé much prefers Singapore, as do I, if we have to choose. But he is strongly against our sons doing NS.
I hope we have all daughters.
But then again Minnesota is temporary and we could practice anywhere in the US or Canada with that degree so I'd choose that over Sg. It's a shame because I find myself a really good fit for duke-NUS.
 
Minnesota isn't on there 🙁

Looks like my fiancé and I have to pick between our families. Somebody is going to get upset no matter what.

This stinks.

Edit: fiancé much prefers Singapore, as do I, if we have to choose. But he is strongly against our sons doing NS.
I hope we have all daughters.
But then again Minnesota is temporary and we could practice anywhere in the US or Canada with that degree so I'd choose that over Sg. It's a shame because I find myself a really good fit for duke-NUS.


According to their website, there are two possibilities to be proved by the singapore medical council for a conditional registration: The first is to have a basic medical degree recognized by the SMC. The second is to have board cert recognized by the SMC.

My understanding is that if one attends a US med school not recognized by the SMC, as long as he or she continue to do residency in US (or somewhere else applicable) and get board certified (of course, this board cert need to be recognized by the SMC), he or she could still be able to do conditional registration in Singapore (if other requirements are met). (details about conditional registration is available through their website.)

The other senario is that if one attends a US med school that is recognized by the SMC, he or she should be able to apply for residency program in Singapore (although might be even more competitive as an IMG). My friends got their medical degree outside Singapore (recognized by the SMC) and now they are doing MOs in Singapore.

Of course, if one attends local Singapore med school, that will be totally different.
 
Minnesota isn't on there 🙁

Looks like my fiancé and I have to pick between our families. Somebody is going to get upset no matter what.

This stinks.

Edit: fiancé much prefers Singapore, as do I, if we have to choose. But he is strongly against our sons doing NS.
I hope we have all daughters.
But then again Minnesota is temporary and we could practice anywhere in the US or Canada with that degree so I'd choose that over Sg. It's a shame because I find myself a really good fit for duke-NUS.

There's certainly a lot to think about as one in your situation, phys.

Not sure about Canadians, but if an American couple has a kid in a foreign country, the kid gets US citizenship cuz the parent is a US citizen (I'll have to verify this). Singapore only allows one passport, so maybe you get to choose? And then they wont need to do NS w/o the Singapore citizenship? I didnt look into it much, so if you're interested you'll have to look more into that.
 
Actually we don't want our kid to have S'pore citizenship at all - we want dual Canadian-American. They can have a student pass to go to school. That is what my fiancé's parents did with him (his dad is American so he inherited that).

If the kid becomes a PR, they will have to serve NS. We're just going to have to avoid becoming PR.
 
Actually we don't want our kid to have S'pore citizenship at all - we want dual Canadian-American. They can have a student pass to go to school. That is what my fiancé's parents did with him (his dad is American so he inherited that).

If the kid becomes a PR, they will have to serve NS. We're just going to have to avoid becoming PR.

I'm not sure how that will work out given the long number of years you need to be here, unless of course you can do residency in the states. Maybe you can speak to the foreign students currently in duke-nus about the pr status? Yeah. The need to attend NS has been a concern and you aren't the only one, even though I don't really understand why. 😵
 
I'm not sure how that will work out given the long number of years you need to be here, unless of course you can do residency in the states. Maybe you can speak to the foreign students currently in duke-nus about the pr status? Yeah. The need to attend NS has been a concern and you aren't the only one, even though I don't really understand why. 😵

Maybe its just a difference in perspective. Americans dont have mandatory service so ppl expect a certain timeline to hitting certain milestones in life. NS will sort of delay that. But TW is like SG with the NS and it isnt that big of a deal to some locals here.

Plus, these timeline expectations are overrated 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe its just a difference in perspective. Americans dont have mandatory service so ppl expect a certain timeline to hitting certain milestones in life. NS will sort of delay that. But TW is like SG with the NS and it isnt that big of a deal to some locals here.

Plus, these timeline expectations are overrated 🙂

My fiancé was born in Singapore and lived there until age 18. His dad is a professor at NUS. His mum owns her own business. Both are PR but my fiancé never was.

And yet, he thinks mandatory army service is an affront to our right to choose as human beings. A human rights violation. I kind of agree on that - if they want to train for self-defence, why not integrate army training into primary/secondary/JC phys ed classes? The whole concept of being a slave for 2 years disturbs both of us as well as his parents and just about every foreigner I have spoken to at the American club.

I am open-minded, however, and am welcome to listening to perspectives. I have a lot of friends who were NSmen. About half liked it and half hated it. Those who hated it tend to be soft-hearted types who were ostracized for being warmhearted. They claim that it turns men into hard-hearted bitter machines who rat each other out and don't care about their fellow man. I'm glad my fiancé was never PR because he is the sweetest person ever, has the biggest heart, and I would hate to see that destroyed or hardened.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I admit I am a foreigner, and that I probably know nothing. I guess I will be educated when I get here, and I am open to that. I guess I'm used to living in the "land of the free" mentality. I see forced military as akin to slavery and abuse of a nation's citizens. I cannot help but see it that way from that perspective, and my fiancé was educated at the American school where foreigners as a whole unanimously despise NS. I do not mind living in Singapore as I love everything else about it but the military issue, which I see as avoidable if I just don't give my kid PR, go the same route as my in-laws did.
 
My fiancé was born in Singapore and lived there until age 18. His dad is a professor at NUS. His mum owns her own business. Both are PR but my fiancé never was.

And yet, he thinks mandatory army service is an affront to our right to choose as human beings. A human rights violation. I kind of agree on that - if they want to train for self-defence, why not integrate army training into primary/secondary/JC phys ed classes? The whole concept of being a slave for 2 years disturbs both of us as well as his parents and just about every foreigner I have spoken to at the American club.

I am open-minded, however, and am welcome to listening to perspectives. I have a lot of friends who were NSmen. About half liked it and half hated it. Those who hated it tend to be soft-hearted types who were ostracized for being warmhearted. They claim that it turns men into hard-hearted bitter machines who rat each other out and don't care about their fellow man. I'm glad my fiancé was never PR because he is the sweetest person ever, has the biggest heart, and I would hate to see that destroyed or hardened.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I admit I am a foreigner, and that I probably know nothing. I guess I will be educated when I get here, and I am open to that. I guess I'm used to living in the "land of the free" mentality. I see forced military as akin to slavery and abuse of a nation's citizens. I cannot help but see it that way from that perspective, and my fiancé was educated at the American school where foreigners as a whole unanimously despise NS. I do not mind living in Singapore as I love everything else about it but the military issue, which I see as avoidable if I just don't give my kid PR, go the same route as my in-laws did.
As a Singaporean, I'm mildly offended when foreigners despise NS. They aren't even the ones serving it! True, NS changes a person, but definitely not all change for the worse. In fact, almost all the locals I know despise people who avoid the mandatory NS (from the local point of view). It's almost like staying for the good things that Singapore offers, but running away as soon as being asked for something in return. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I love Singapore despite the shortcomings she may have and I feel very proud of our men who serve NS, locals or otherwise. But that's just my opinion. Also, you can't just include NS as part of PE. I don't even know how to start arguing about that because it's just too ridiculous. It's not just about training up your muscles.
 
Thats a pretty in-depth perspective into NS.
👍

Any comments on monthly expenses? Anyone?
It's not very expensive to survive in Singapore, the most of it come from your housing expenses. And I feel that taking the train/bus is a lot cheaper than cabbing around and quite convenient too, so excluding housing expenses I believe perhaps $300 would cover food and transport rather well, especially if you don't eat out too often and choose to eat at hawker centers or food courts rather than at cafes and restaurants.
 
As a Singaporean, I'm mildly offended when foreigners despise NS. They aren't even the ones serving it! True, NS changes a person, but definitely not all change for the worse. In fact, almost all the locals I know despise people who avoid the mandatory NS (from the local point of view). It's almost like staying for the good things that Singapore offers, but running away as soon as being asked for something in return. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I love Singapore despite the shortcomings she may have and I feel very proud of our men who serve NS, locals or otherwise. But that's just my opinion. Also, you can't just include NS as part of PE. I don't even know how to start arguing about that because it's just too ridiculous. It's not just about training up your muscles.

Probably a good place to just end that discussion.

It's not very expensive to survive in Singapore, the most of it come from your housing expenses. And I feel that taking the train/bus is a lot cheaper than cabbing around and quite convenient too, so excluding housing expenses I believe perhaps $300 would cover food and transport rather well, especially if you don't eat out too often and choose to eat at hawker centers or food courts rather than at cafes and restaurants.

Hey! Thanks for the input. That's pretty similar to my expenses while I was in Boston. And housing was freaking expensive like in Singapore 🙁

So far the agents I've contacted have been quoting $1,500 minimum for a one bedroom, and some of them keep giving me $2,500+/month condos when I'm asking for something more really sub-$1000/month rentals. Not exceedingly helpful so far, and most don't respond at all. Not sure if that's a common phenomenon in Singapore among agents, or I'm just experiencing something strange lol.
 
Probably a good place to just end that discussion.



Hey! Thanks for the input. That's pretty similar to my expenses while I was in Boston. And housing was freaking expensive like in Singapore 🙁

So far the agents I've contacted have been quoting $1,500 minimum for a one bedroom, and some of them keep giving me $2,500+/month condos when I'm asking for something more really sub-$1000/month rentals. Not exceedingly helpful so far, and most don't respond at all. Not sure if that's a common phenomenon in Singapore among agents, or I'm just experiencing something strange lol.

That's expensive! Trying looking at this http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/
Hope it helps 🙂
 
As a Singaporean, I'm mildly offended when foreigners despise NS. They aren't even the ones serving it! True, NS changes a person, but definitely not all change for the worse. In fact, almost all the locals I know despise people who avoid the mandatory NS (from the local point of view). It's almost like staying for the good things that Singapore offers, but running away as soon as being asked for something in return. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I love Singapore despite the shortcomings she may have and I feel very proud of our men who serve NS, locals or otherwise. But that's just my opinion. Also, you can't just include NS as part of PE. I don't even know how to start arguing about that because it's just too ridiculous. It's not just about training up your muscles.

We have other countries like Canada having similar benefits without NS. And women get these benefits without serving. So I don't see it as giving back, I see it as a system that doesn't have to exist.

But anyway, I digress. Case closed. I'll find out more when I get there and admit to being influenced by my very-biased fiancé who was likely in turn influenced by his very-biased schoolmates.

Like I said, I am open to different perspectives, especially since when I was in Singapore even the people who liked NS said they didn't think it should be mandatory. Obviously I've only seen one side of the coin.

I'm sorry if I have offended you. I was just saying what almost all foreigners secretly think but are too afraid to say to Singaporeans.

EDIT: wow, my fiancé wants to permanently relocate to Singapore and become PR; and as such is completing NS in the next intake. As much as he disagrees with it, he seems to be going in with a positive attitude.
 
Last edited:
We have other countries like Canada having similar benefits without NS. And women get these benefits without serving. So I don't see it as giving back, I see it as a system that doesn't have to exist.

But anyway, I digress. Case closed. I'll find out more when I get there and admit to being influenced by my very-biased fiancé who was likely in turn influenced by his very-biased schoolmates.

Like I said, I am open to different perspectives, especially since when I was in Singapore even the people who liked NS said they didn't think it should be mandatory. Obviously I've only seen one side of the coin.

I'm sorry if I have offended you. I was just saying what almost all foreigners secretly think but are too afraid to say to Singaporeans.

EDIT: wow, my fiancé wants to permanently relocate to Singapore and become PR; and as such is completing NS in the next intake. As much as he disagrees with it, he seems to be going in with a positive attitude.
A brave decision considering how most Singaporean men aren't terribly enthusiastic about national service. If he has any questions just fire away. Or check out www.ns.sg. Looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall.
 
I received a google group invite from Duke-NUS on April 23. It was in my junk mail so I actually didn't get it till today. It has a calendar with vacation/class dates and other info.
 
I received a google group invite from Duke-NUS on April 23. It was in my junk mail so I actually didn't get it till today. It has a calendar with vacation/class dates and other info.

😵 found it in my junk mail too lol. Looks like there's 22 (-1 w/ a duke-nus school mail) ppl in the group so far.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
currently at 34 total members w/ 2 owners (I'm guessing Admissions/Current Med students).

Oh and,
physiologist: i believe there isn't a FB group for the class of 2017.
 
Hi all - Tried to avoid SDN as much as possible to avoid the tension of the MS game (not been very successful but oh well) so rather late in the posting game but I recently received an acceptance offer for Duke-NUS MD/PhD as well as an Irish Medical School. I absolutely love both schools and both locations which doesn’t make things easy. Right now my decision is hinging on….WAIT FOR IT…. Of course the most extensively discussed bond period.

I love the idea of being a part of academic medicine (hopefully splitting time between research and the clinic) which from the sounds of it is starting to grow in Singapore and is already well established in the United States. Though I totally understand the reasoning behind the bond period, an MD/PhD particularly is a long commitment already and the bond period on top of that kind of (albeit loosely) seals potentially living in Singapore….for a long time if not forever. Going to try to squeeze in a visit now but if for whatever reason, I decide Singapore is not the place for me later on – an American residency+fellowship (if it all works of course) +returning to Singapore to complete my bond period sounds exhausting (apart from potentially having to repeat residencies – still need to do some more research on that topic though) while Dublin would allow me to keep my options open although not an MD/PhD offer. Ugh.

I am going to discuss it with the school but was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this particular situation or personal experience comparing Duke-NUS w/ Irish medical schools while making their decision? Any input would probably be helpful. Sounds like most of the folks going there as of right now are folks who are from the region or folks from north America who have strong ties.