* * 2012-2013 Letter of Recommendation Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the way i look at it, if they say required, then it is required. If they say recommended, then it is also required.

Here is a hoop --> o <-- , jump through it. Get used to it. Mcat, comlex i & ii, boards, and forevermore working in the system. :)

dsoz

+1

Members don't see this ad.

Two reasons it is good to have a DO letter when applying to DO schools:

1) Not having a DO letter can limit what schools you can apply to since some require it. This may or may not be an issue for you, depending on where you want to apply.

2) A DO letter shows that you are serious about applying DO and that you didn't just throw in some DO apps as a backup and an afterthought.

I think it is pretty important. But with your scores, it may turn out okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also don't have a DO letter. I'm going to call my old PCP (D.O.) and ask for one, but he's pretty old and difficult to reach. He was good friends with my grandfather though, so hopefully he can do me a favor.

I'm limiting myself to schools that don't require/strongly recommend a letter. I'm applying to LECOM because I heard they'll set you up with a DO if you don't have a letter.

I also don't have a DO letter. I'm going to call my old PCP (D.O.) and ask for one, but he's pretty old and difficult to reach. He was good friends with my grandfather though, so hopefully he can do me a favor.

I'm limiting myself to schools that don't require/strongly recommend a letter. I'm applying to LECOM because I heard they'll set you up with a DO if you don't have a letter.

No DO letter. Chance at MSU-COM and Western (Ponoma)?

So my advisor uploaded my LORs and committee letters today into AMCAS and into interfolio. I noticed that I am able to see the full packet, including the evaluations and LORs I was under the impression that all of this had to remain confidential? Do I have an issue here or was I simply misinformed? Thanks.

To me it seems that ACCOMAS has been a bit more vague than AMCAS on instructions on filling out the primary application. I also cannot find a official instruction publication on what exactly do to to request your committee letter packet through Interfolio. Do I simply select "Confidential Letter of Recommendation"? I assumed I would put other document since committee letter wasn't listed but thats how I ended up with the non-confidential letter packet. Please help. If anyone knows exactly what to do link me or post below. Thanks.

Have you called Interfolio or your committee about this? Or are you just waiting for a brilliant answer here?

Have you called Interfolio or your committee about this? Or are you just waiting for a brilliant answer here?

Since there are thousands of us doing this everyday, figured someone had ran into this issue before. Is that unreasonable? Didn't think so. So yes waiting.

Since there are thousands of us doing this everyday, figured someone had ran into this issue before. Is that unreasonable? Didn't think so. So yes waiting.

With that said I have contacted my committee.

So my advisor uploaded my LORs and committee letters today into AMCAS and into interfolio. I noticed that I am able to see the full packet, including the evaluations and LORs I was under the impression that all of this had to remain confidential? Do I have an issue here or was I simply misinformed? Thanks.

To me it seems that ACCOMAS has been a bit more vague than AMCAS on instructions on filling out the primary application. I also cannot find a official instruction publication on what exactly do to to request your committee letter packet through Interfolio. Do I simply select "Confidential Letter of Recommendation"? I assumed I would put other document since committee letter wasn't listed but thats how I ended up with the non-confidential letter packet. Please help. If anyone knows exactly what to do link me or post below. Thanks.

did you ever get the fee waiver

Has nobody used interfolio to upload a committee letter? A quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has nobody used interfolio to upload a committee letter? A quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

So here is what I just did:

I logged into my Interfolio and started to request a letter just to see what the options were to refresh my memory. I think where you went wrong was by putting "Other Document" instead of "Confidential Letter of Recommendation," just as you said in your initial post.

I know you already called your committee, what did they say? IMHO I really think you need to call Interfolio because they are probably the only people that can change the status from "other document" to "confidential." If they can't do anything then you might have to start over again and be sure to select the appropriate tab from the drop-down menu. It is extra work on your part and your committee, but at least with Interfolio YOU have to personally send each of the letters to their respective destinations, as AACOMAS doesn't function in the same capacity as AMCAS regarding LORs.

So here is what I just did:

I logged into my Interfolio and started to request a letter just to see what the options were to refresh my memory. I think where you went wrong was by putting "Other Document" instead of "Confidential Letter of Recommendation," just as you said in your initial post.

I know you already called your committee, what did they say? IMHO I really think you need to call Interfolio because they are probably the only people that can change the status from "other document" to "confidential." If they can't do anything then you might have to start over again and be sure to select the appropriate tab from the drop-down menu. It is extra work on your part and your committee, but at least with Interfolio YOU have to personally send each of the letters to their respective destinations, as AACOMAS doesn't function in the same capacity as AMCAS regarding LORs.

They were disappointed in Interfolio because it didn't say anything one way or the other on the confidentially of the letter packet which they were submitting. They as well as my self assumed it would be confidential. I have worked on starting over and requesting it through the Confidential Letter of Recommendation.. but my god with so many people doing Committees these days couldn't they put an option for "Confidential Letter Packet" or "Confidential Committee Packet" Personally I think AMCAS is light years ahead of ACCOMAS in their application process, professionalism and concise instructions. With that said I love both allopathic and osteopathic medicine. :love: Thanks for helping me, it is gonna pose a problem when I have a 16 page letter packet under "confidential letter of recommendation" when I send it out to schools?

Hey guys,

When using Interfolio do we need to upload each letter separately when sending it to the respective DO school or can we send the 2-3 letters as one packet? Thanks

Hey guys,

When using Interfolio do we need to upload each letter separately when sending it to the respective DO school or can we send the 2-3 letters as one packet? Thanks

Great question +1

They were disappointed in Interfolio because it didn't say anything one way or the other on the confidentially of the letter packet which they were submitting. They as well as my self assumed it would be confidential. I have worked on starting over and requesting it through the Confidential Letter of Recommendation.. but my god with so many people doing Committees these days couldn't they put an option for "Confidential Letter Packet" or "Confidential Committee Packet" Personally I think AMCAS is light years ahead of ACCOMAS in their application process, professionalism and concise instructions. With that said I love both allopathic and osteopathic medicine. :love: Thanks for helping me, it is gonna pose a problem when I have a 16 page letter packet under "confidential letter of recommendation" when I send it out to schools?

When you select Confidential LOR make sure you give it a title like "Confidential Committee Packet" or something to that extent.

I know it is annoying to use Interfolio instead of AACOMAS picking up the slack but it is what it is for now.

In a nutshell: Unless you have a committee packet, you will need to have each letter uploaded to Interfolio separately. That being said, you can create your own "packet" when you enter the school you want to send your letters to. Technically you are sending them as individual letters, but since they are part of the same "delivery order" they will all be sent together, as they would in a single packet.

This topic comes up every year, so I suggest you do a search of the forum, particularly in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=915502, which is the Official LOR Thread. In fact, this thread will likely be moved by the mods to that thread. Below are instructions for sending letters as a "packet" within the same delivery order. You may already know how to do this, but at least by listing it here it will clear up any questions others might have.

Instructions:
1. When you log into Interfolio, go to the Home screen.
2. Click on "Start Delivery" tab. You will be directed to the "Add Delivery" page
3. On the Add Delivery page, begin entering the school to which you would like the letters sent.
4. Find your school and click on it.
5. Once you have selected the school, click on the "Add Documents" tab.
6. Once you have clicked on the "Add Documents" tab, you will be directed to the "Select and Order Documents" page.
7. Select which letters you would like to place in this order from the "Documents available for delivery" list. They will appear to the right of the list of your uploaded letters under "Documents in this delivery" Note: This "order" can be 1 letter or all of your letters.
8. Once you have all the letters you would like to send to a particular school/campus, you will need to click on the "Customize Delivery" tab below the "Documents available for delivery" list.
9. At the "Customize Delivery" page, make sure your AACOMAS ID is visible and selected (the correct number, of course- if you used Interfolio has a middle-man for AAMC, make sure your AAMC ID is NOT the one selected). If your AACOMAS ID is not visible, click on the "Add ID numbers" and add your AACOMAS ID.
10. Once the ID is selected, click on "Choose Shipping Method" which will allow you to review your order (make sure all the documents you wish to send are listed under "Documents" to the right.
11. Choose shipping method and click "Check Out"
12. Proceed to Check Out and finish.

Nice explanation neuro. I'm sure this will help a lot of people real soon. :)

Epic fail! My final letter, which I asked for back in March, from my biochem professor is not going to happen. I heard that he got arrested for spying on colleagues and has felony charges on him. Just emailed an old professor that I haven't talked to since 09 for a letter, but oh well. As of right now, I have 1 letter from a science prof, 1 DO, 1 MD, and according to my premed advisor they won't finish the committee letter till august (hopefully).

Epic fail! My final letter, which I asked for back in March, from my biochem professor is not going to happen. I heard that he got arrested for spying on colleagues and has felony charges on him. Just emailed an old professor that I haven't talked to since 09 for a letter, but oh well. As of right now, I have 1 letter from a science prof, 1 DO, 1 MD, and according to my premed advisor they won't finish the committee letter till august (hopefully).

Umm..ok?

:confused:

Whoa...thats crazy!

Bad luck...hope you can find a good replacement. :thumbup:

Right now I hate nothing more than "I'm working on it now. It'll be done by tomorrow" <-- That was on Thursday. Today is Monday. I sent this teacher 3 emails before he responded with the email above.. Then he didn't finish "tomorrow" (Friday) like he said. I did tell him to please submit by July 1, but I don't think he's going to submit it by then. Gah, I hate being in a position where I'm asking for something because I don't know how to keep asking without sounding like a jerk.

Right now I hate nothing more than "I'm working on it now. It'll be done by tomorrow" <-- That was on Thursday. Today is Monday. I sent this teacher 3 emails before he responded with the email above.. Then he didn't finish "tomorrow" (Friday) like he said. I did tell him to please submit by July 1, but I don't think he's going to submit it by then. Gah, I hate being in a position where I'm asking for something because I don't know how to keep asking without sounding like a jerk.

Yup. I'm going through that as well. I'm just relieved because I spoke with the premed advisor and the prof I was counting on to write my last letter is going to do it after all. I think I'm ok with 2 science letters, 1 DO, 1 MD, and then the committee letter.

Going through the same thing right now. I even called one of my professors and she said "should be in within the next couple of days"...it's been more than a week...not in yet...I guess I wait until tomorrow then I am about to start shooting some e-mails again.

I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I have all the letters I want to send when I get my secondaries. Want to be complete ASAP!

I am waiting on my department chair's letter, and my Red Cross supervisor (who actually took a picture of him holding my paper printed out because I harassed him that he'd lying and he didn't even start it yet [we're cool, I didn't really harass him lol, we're just playful] just has to upload his to Interfolio... and I am complete.

Received my other science prof's letter today, and my psychology prof's a week ago! :D

Going through the same thing right now. I even called one of my professors and she said "should be in within the next couple of days"...it's been more than a week...not in yet...I guess I wait until tomorrow then I am about to start shooting some e-mails again.

I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I have all the letters I want to send when I get my secondaries. Want to be complete ASAP!

Same. It sucks that we have to wait on other people before our application is complete.

Upon doing some research I have noticed that it's either mandatory or preferred that one submit a LOR from a D.O. Currently, I have a LOR from an MD but not a DO. However, my father is a DO, so I am very much aware of the profession and what its all about. Do you think this familiarity through my father is enough, or is a DO letter pretty much essential? I understand I am a little late in the game so if this letter is absolutely necessary I need to get on it ASAP. What do you guys think?

Upon doing some research I have noticed that it's either mandatory or preferred that one submit a LOR from a D.O. Currently, I have a LOR from an MD but not a DO. However, my father is a DO, so I am very much aware of the profession and what its all about. Do you think this familiarity through my father is enough, or is a DO letter pretty much essential? I understand I am a little late in the game so if this letter is absolutely necessary I need to get on it ASAP. What do you guys think?

Why not have your dad call a buddy and tell them to write a letter for his kid?

Is there any advantage to sending letters as a packet versus as multiple individual letters? My school doesn't do the committee letter but does offer to bundle them together into one package, but it costs $$ that I'd rather not spend if there's no point.

consider yourself very lucky as you have connections that rest of us don't. get your dad's colleague to write you a letter.

Hi,

this is not a related question, but I didnt want to open a new thread since my question relates to the LOR in general.

I shadowed a D.O. physician, and he wrote me a letter, and was then involved with a M.D. physician. When I asked the physician to write aletter, they were happy to do so. But apparently the physician hasnt written one before, and asked me to write one, or tell them what to include in it.

I was wondering if anyone would be awesome enough to give some suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi,

this is not a related question, but I didnt want to open a new thread since my question relates to the LOR in general.

I shadowed a D.O. physician, and he wrote me a letter, and was then involved with a M.D. physician. When I asked the physician to write aletter, they were happy to do so. But apparently the physician hasnt written one before, and asked me to write one, or tell them what to include in it.

Thanks,

http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/9780472031887-appendixg.pdf

Hi,

Thanks,

The above link provides good samples. You can also go to DMUs website and they have a bunch of suggestions for what to include in recommendation letters.

I know MedPR has talked about this previously, but I do not have a non-science letter of recommendation but do have 3 science letters... does anyone have a compiled list of DO schools that will accept a 3rd science letter in lieu of a non-science letter?

I know MedPR has talked about this previously, but I do not have a non-science letter of recommendation but do have 3 science letters... does anyone have a compiled list of DO schools that will accept a 3rd science letter in lieu of a non-science letter?

In the same predicament w/ the lack of a non science letter.

there is no such list, but according to my research only a handful of schools require a non science letter. For these schools, you should contact them directly and ask.

Is there any advantage to sending letters as a packet versus as multiple individual letters? My school doesn't do the committee letter but does offer to bundle them together into one package, but it costs $$ that I'd rather not spend if there's no point.

my school's letter services requires that all letters be sent out this way (wonder if went to the same undergrad). since its only a package of letters and not a committe letter, i highly doubt it would be a hindrance in any way.

I am waiting on my department chair's letter, and my Red Cross supervisor (who actually took a picture of him holding my paper printed out because I harassed him that he'd lying and he didn't even start it yet [we're cool, I didn't really harass him lol, we're just playful] just has to upload his to Interfolio... and I am complete.

Received my other science prof's letter today, and my psychology prof's a week ago! :D

Lol I wish all letter writers would do this. haha:D

I'm running into some minor issues with my letter writers too. The only DO I asked to write a letter decided to have her baby before she wrote it. The nerve! :)

I have an MD writing a letter for me too, but I probably cannot use that one in replacement of the DO one for schools that specifically ask for a DO letter.

I have a secondary completed that I cannot submit because of this annoying issue. I sympathize with you all.

:(

*edit:

Excelsior!!!! My DO got back to me and plans on finishing the letter this afternoon. Happy days!

**edit:

I just don't get it. DO said it would be done on Friday, and nothing was ever submitted. I think I am back to square one on this one.

Last edited:
MSU-COM

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk