2012-2013 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found it! https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/registrar/vms-i-academic-calendar#13-14

Orientation starts on July 17. White coat ceremony on July 26, 2013. Summer break begins on July 26, 2014 after just over 1 full year of classes. Long first year :p

oh awesome!! thanks for posting this!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
So, I really want to attend second look, but I am not sure if I will be able to. Would it be ok to RSVP since the deadline is coming up, and then cancel if I end up not being able to attend? I feel like I shouldn't RSVP if I am not 100% going, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Hey everyone,
So, I really want to attend second look, but I am not sure if I will be able to. Would it be ok to RSVP since the deadline is coming up, and then cancel if I end up not being able to attend? I feel like I shouldn't RSVP if I am not 100% going, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

I would call admissions on Monday and ask them what you should do. Just explain your situation and ask how you should proceed. I'm sure they've come across this in the past!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Yeah I am in the same situation and have no idea. Still waiting to find out if I can get out of work...

Ahhhhh I want more than anything to meet you guys at second look! Here's to still hoping they're accepting more January interviewees! :/

Have most of the January interviewees heard back decisions from Vandy?

Nothing here, I thought this interview went really well too

Nothing here, I thought this interview went really well too

+1. I thought it was probably my best interview experience of the season. In response to others on the thread, i've seen multiple January people get in, but not a ton. I wonder if they are running out of spots to give late in the season as compared to earlier. I know on the application portal website they said that it was to our advantage to apply early. Hopefully it doesn't put as at too much of a disadvantage. Good luck to you all!! I'm with you in this waiting game...

Ahhhhh I want more than anything to meet you guys at second look! Here's to still hoping they're accepting more January interviewees! :/

I want nothing more than to be able to go to second look, especially after hearing about how amazing it is. Unfortunately, I still don't know if I can get out of work (maybe they still haven't forgiven me for taking so many days off for interviews), and either way, airfare is looking like it would cost me around $450 :(

If any current students can answer -- will there be other resources for those of us who can't make it to second look that will provide info on finding housing, roommates, etc. later on?

i did that survey that was due by 3/5. seems too early to have to RSVP and have made decisions.

i did that survey that was due by 3/5. seems too early to have to RSVP and have made decisions.

That wasn't a survey, it was to RSVP. You aren't supposed to submit it if you aren't going to second look

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess that means that if you haven't heard back yet, it's probably WL or reject. Doesn't make sense to have their 2nd look RSVP due before people get acceptances.

This is killing my sanity. Mid January interview. We are just nearing the end of that 4-6 week period that they gave us, but it feels like the ship has already sailed.

When will WL and rejections start flowing? This is the last school I'm holding out for. Dying to know either way.

I guess that means that if you haven't heard back yet, it's probably WL or reject. Doesn't make sense to have their 2nd look RSVP due before people get acceptances.

It's possible (I know of another place that does this) that there will be a new RSVP date for people accepted after today. If there is a lot of decision making to be made in March (both by the school and, possibly, people withdrawing) they might just want to get as many people registered as early as possible. The RSVP thing has ranking surveys for lunch breakout sessions and tours, so it might be too much organizing/planning to save for the week before second look. But again, no idea if that's what they're up to.

Also, the admissions department and Dr. Zic are all really friendly and seem really receptive to communication, so if there's anyone on the fence about calling and asking a question about whether or not to RSVP, I'd go for it.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and I hope to see you all at second look!

If any current students can answer -- will there be other resources for those of us who can't make it to second look that will provide info on finding housing, roommates, etc. later on?

Not a current student, but there is an off-campus housing referral website Vanderbilt offers for searching for housing and roommates that should be accessible to any accepted applicant. I'm also pretty sure a facebook group is in the works.

I hope you can make it, though!

I want nothing more than to be able to go to second look, especially after hearing about how amazing it is. Unfortunately, I still don't know if I can get out of work (maybe they still haven't forgiven me for taking so many days off for interviews), and either way, airfare is looking like it would cost me around $450 :(

There are also current first years looking for roommates for the next year, including myself. Housing should not be a big issue if you decide to come.

Not a current student, but there is an off-campus housing referral website Vanderbilt offers for searching for housing and roommates that should be accessible to any accepted applicant. I'm also pretty sure a facebook group is in the works.

I hope you can make it, though!

+1 and I hope they get the Facebook group up and running soon!

+1 and I hope they get the Facebook group up and running soon!

There is a facebook group set up to go for the incoming class, but only a few current students are included in it for various purposes. So the second look weekend will be the best way to interact with most current students.

There is a facebook group set up to go for the incoming class, but only a few current students are included in it for various purposes. So the second look weekend will be the best way to interact with most current students.
is there one already made?? how do we join the Facebook group? :)

Does anyone know if we should send parents' tax returns to the financial aid office? It doesn't mention it on the financial aid application, so I just wanted to check with you guys. Thanks.

I called today, they said it is not necessary (though for some schools it is, so make sure to check if you have other schools!)

Bear's roommate here:

Has Vandy waitlisted/rejected interviewed people yet? Or has it only been acceptances so far? Been waiting a few months now with no word...

is there guaranteed housing at vanderbilt or must students find apartments? thanks.

There is no on-campus housing for any of Vanderbilt's graduate programs, including us in the medical school. However, the large majority of students live very close to campus. You can also live farther away, but you'll have to drive to school.

Is it realistic to live in downtown Nashville and commute to school. Realistic as in financially (less than 1k), socially (other students doing it), and geographically (commutable via free shuttle, bike, walk, hitchhike)?

Is it realistic to live in downtown Nashville and commute to school. Realistic as in financially (less than 1k), socially (other students doing it), and geographically (commutable via free shuttle, bike, walk, hitchhike)?

You would have to drive. The public bus system is not reliable. I don't know how much it costs. Some people do live in that area though.

This is killing my sanity. Mid January interview. We are just nearing the end of that 4-6 week period that they gave us, but it feels like the ship has already sailed.

When will WL and rejections start flowing? This is the last school I'm holding out for. Dying to know either way.

Vandy, stop the silence. Just break our hearts or make our days. I'm with all you mid-January interviewees who haven't received a word either way. Anyone think there's still a chance that they're still giving out acceptances? or is it just waitlist/rejections at this point? After such an incredible interview day and feedback from my interviewer, I feel a little bit teased :(

FINGERS CROSSED.

So I looked back into last years thread. Seems like at this point, almost all of the acceptances were given out (with the exception of a couple Feb interviews). If the trend continues, we can all expect snail mail waitlists in the next week or so.

Leh wah.

Does anyone know when a facebook page will be made? i hate to say it, but i cant help but get a little more excited about other schools I have been accepted to that already have one!

Do we think there will be more calls from Dr. Zic tomorrow?

Well I called this one. Waitlist letter just came in mail

Status
Not open for further replies.