2012-2013 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have all merit scholarships been given out? Doesn't seem like many people reported receiving one compared to last year

Members don't see this ad.

Have all merit scholarships been given out? Doesn't seem like many people reported receiving one compared to last year

During SLWs, I've talked to many people who've received the 75% scholarship. I don't know of anyone who has gotten the full-tuition one(s), though.

Not sure when they'll be finished handing out all scholarships!

Because this is the #1 thing I look for on these forums:

I got my financial aid in the mail today (I live one state over). Small need-based scholarship, probably 65-70k in loans (per year). Better than the other packages I've gotten so far (not eligible for need-based aid according to the formula at 2 NYC schools) but still a little scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else gotten financial aid info? How is it looking?

I got the 75% tuition scholarship with no need-based aid as well. I actually got strictly need-based aid from several other schools that was better than Vandy's offer with the merit scholarship. Little surpising but it's all good.

Wow you guys must be pretty amazing. I wish I got a 75% tuition scholarship. How does need based aid at other schools beat that? I have pretty high need and my packages haven't been amazing.

Do you find out about 75% tuition in the aid award letter? I still haven't gotten mine yet.

I found out about the scholarship via phone call back in October when I was accepted. The scholarship is awesome, but it still leaves over 40k of the cost of attendance that has to be paid with loans. Some schools are more generous than others, and it just worked out for me that some other schools required smaller loans than that because they were either cheaper from the beginning or had more need-based scholarship. Anyways, I'm most likely withdrawing this week, so I hope one of you guys gets that money! Vandy was amazing on interview day and really seems like a special place to be.

did you get better award offers elsewhere? 75% scholarship is pretty good, considering the low cost of living in nashville..

yeah...and hence, i might have to turn vandy down :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the 75% tuition scholarship with no need-based aid as well. I actually got strictly need-based aid from several other schools that was better than Vandy's offer with the merit scholarship. Little surpising but it's all good.

Do u mind if I ask which schools those are?

All I can say is I am extremely jealous.If you got more than what vandy is offering, you essentially got full tuition or more. If one of you gave me your vandy scholarship I would be eternally grateful.

Can anyone who was able to go to second look summarize points students brought up during the curriculum Q&A, and how Vandy addressed them? I'm hesitant about going through a new curriculum when all of their matching/test performance data is based on their 2-yr curric. Also, how are rotations supposed to benefit us for step 1? I've heard very mixed reviews about this.

Some of you may find it interesting to know that Dean Rodgers, our very own Dean for Student Affairs, has been invited to the AAMC Western Regional Conference* to give a keynote speech on student wellness.

*The AAMC Western region includes all the MD schools from California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, British Columbia, Calgary, and Alberta.

Some of you may find it interesting to know that Dean Rodgers, our very own Dean for Student Affairs, has been invited to the AAMC Western Regional Conference* to give a keynote speech on student wellness.

*The AAMC Western region includes all the MD schools from California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, British Columbia, Calgary, and Alberta.

But... tennessee isn't in there.

The Vanderbilt program is being modeled by schools across the country. Here are some sources.

A comprehensive medical student wellness program--design and implementation at Vanderbilt School of Medicine.
Acad Med. 2010 Jan;85(1):103-10
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20042835

Vanderbilt Wellness Program: Model and Implementation Guide
AAMC Medical Education
https://www.mededportal.org/publication/9111

Improvements in medical school wellness and career counseling: A comparison of one-on-one advising to an Advisory College Program.
Medical Teacher. 2010;32(10):e429-35
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20854149

Anyone still haven't received any financial aid information yet? Are we suppose to get it through the mail?

Anyone still haven't received any financial aid information yet? Are we suppose to get it through the mail?

Yeah they send it via snail mail. However, you can call them and ask them to email it to you. This is what I did because I have moved twice in the past 4 months.

Yes I got mine a couple weeks ago. Have you filled out the FAFSA and NEEDS ACCESS?

Has anyone else accepted got any information from Vanderbilt? Some of my friends going to other schools are buying supplies (from lists they got) and getting immunizations and physicals? I am starting to worry that somehow I am missing information about what I need to be doing.

Has anyone else accepted got any information from Vanderbilt? Some of my friends going to other schools are buying supplies (from lists they got) and getting immunizations and physicals? I am starting to worry that somehow I am missing information about what I need to be doing.

They haven't sent out any info yet but I asked about this because I am leaving the country soon. You can see the requirements at:

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/timeline-important-dates

They are in the process of updating this page and this year's forms will be posted soon.

Last edited:
what's the dating scene like? are most vandy students already in a relationship?

Anyone know of any wait list movement yet? Also, any predications as to how many people Vandy will take off the wait list? I've heard 5-30 in the past, with numbers being lower recently. I don't know how the new curriculum will change things though.

anyone know of any wait list movement yet? Also, any predications as to how many people vandy will take off the wait list? I've heard 5-30 in the past, with numbers being lower recently. I don't know how the new curriculum will change things though.

+1

Is there any deposit that matriculating students need to put down?

There has not been a deposit required in the past, but you can always contact the admissions office to be sure. They will be glad to help.

Anyone know of any wait list movement yet? Also, any predications as to how many people Vandy will take off the wait list? I've heard 5-30 in the past, with numbers being lower recently. I don't know how the new curriculum will change things though.

The number of people taken off the waitlist depends on the number of people who decline their acceptances. The waitlist ratio is hard to guess for this year because of the new secondary/interview system in which far fewer interviews were given out. There will most likely be some activity around May 15th. How much is hard to say.

Is the financial aid determined yearly?

If you mean by this, that you will get a new financial aid package every year (keeps loans and such up to date with tuition changes basically), then yes. Some scholarships/loans are guaranteed for all four years as well.

has anyone who sent an update letter to [email protected] received confirmation of receipt? I have sent two and never received confrimation, just assuming they have been received... i also sent one to lindsay huddleston before and received an II soon after but i dont think that is the correct email for such things

Officially withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to all of you waiting to get off the waitlist. Congrats to those who have been accepted!

If you mean by this, that you will get a new financial aid package every year (keeps loans and such up to date with tuition changes basically), then yes. Some scholarships/loans are guaranteed for all four years as well.

I meant what if a family's income changes, could be for the better or worse, would the financial aid amount be adjusted, i.e. more scholarship or less?

I meant what if a family's income changes, could be for the better or worse, would the financial aid amount be adjusted, i.e. more scholarship or less?

If your expected family contribution goes down for one reason or another for a future year, I believe that your loans would be guaranteed to increase to cover the COA (assuming you haven't maxed out your federal loans already, which is in most cases unlikely), and your scholarships may or may not.

For specific questions or further clarification, feel free to contact the financial aid office. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST.

VUSM Office of Student Financial Services
303 Light Hall
Nashville, TN 37232-0740
(615) 343-6310
(615) 343-2312 (FAX)
[email protected]

Once we decide to matriculate, is there anything we have to do besides withdraw from our other acceptances? Do we need to let admissions know that we've decided to matriculate?

Another question...during 3rd and 4th year, what is the grading system like? Are immersion blocks pass/fail or graded?

Once we decide to matriculate, is there anything we have to do besides withdraw from our other acceptances? Do we need to let admissions know that we've decided to matriculate?

Email Dean Zic and let him know of your intentions to matriculate here

I got a response a few hours later says letter of intent received or something

While the admissions office will assume your intention to matriculate if you withdraw from all other schools, it is good to email them as Hail2theThief has said. This is a great opportunity to remind Dean Zic and the Committee how excited you are to come to Vanderbilt and remind them why they chose you over thousands of other students.

Status
Not open for further replies.