2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found out I am waitlisted for UVa. I have sent an email inquiring about my current placement on the waiting list. I am hoping I am in high ranking because this school is my top choice. I am really worried because I have not heard anything official from other schools other than 2 rejections. I am really hoping this follows through!

This process is so draining :( but I still have hope!!

Always keep hope! If you don't mind, was this for the UVa clinical program through arts and aciences, or clinical and school psychology through the Curry School of Education?

Got a very nice email from the program coordinator that I was put on a wait list..definitely better than an outright rejection but I am dying to go to this school so I really hope something works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted at Catholic University of America (Clinical Psychology PhD) through an e-mail from my POI on 2/29. She made the mention that her lab was still interested in working with me and that I can expect to be contacted again by mid-March, so here's hoping for the best.

What is an appropriate response after receiving an email about being waitlisted from one's POI?

What is an appropriate response after receiving an email about being waitlisted from one's POI?

Depends upon your interest. :D

If I recall correctly (I've slept since then), I responded with appreciation for the update and expressed continued interest in their program if/when a position became available. I believe I also may have asked if they could provide me with information (if possible/available) regarding my placement on the waitlist and the likelihood of students being accepted from it based on previous years' performance (I only did this with one school that I reeeeally wanted an admissions offer--and they had a confusing 2 waitlists process at the time).

G'luck! :luck:

Got an email stating that I was an alternate at Tennessee State University Counseling PhD program. Post interview.

I was just informed that I am on the waitlist at a school that I really am interested in (School A), but I also have an offer at another school that was one of my top choices (School B). In the email from School A, the POI mentioned that I should "let her know" if I am seriously considering any other offers. I AM seriously considering School B, but I also WOULD consider School A if they made me an offer.

What is the right way to respond to an email like this? Tell her about School B, but also say that I am still interested in School A? Does having another offer make you more desirable/put some urgency on the situation, or does it make it seem like even if they DO give you an offer, you might say no? Ugh. And I thought the stressful part of this process was over!

I was just informed that I am on the waitlist at a school that I really am interested in (School A), but I also have an offer at another school that was one of my top choices (School B). In the email from School A, the POI mentioned that I should "let her know" if I am seriously considering any other offers. I AM seriously considering School B, but I also WOULD consider School A if they made me an offer.

What is the right way to respond to an email like this? Tell her about School B, but also say that I am still interested in School A? Does having another offer make you more desirable/put some urgency on the situation, or does it make it seem like even if they DO give you an offer, you might say no? Ugh. And I thought the stressful part of this process was over!

That seems like an unfair position for them to put you in.. =/

Waitlisted at University of North Texas
Email from DCT on 3/1

I just dealt with a very similar situation (I have outstanding offers but had not yet heard from my POI at a program high on my list after interviews). After asking for info on my status, I said something like "I only ask because I have been offered acceptances to other very strong programs and need to consider all my options. I hope my desire to not make any decisions until hearing back from you re-emphases my continued interest in your program"

That seems like an unfair position for them to put you in.. =/

The weirdest part is that I don't understand how it is relevant if I have another offer I'm considering or not...if there is no open spot for me, why does it matter to her? Is the process different for those who have offers elsewhere? Completely at a loss for an answer to this.

I think I'm just going to tell her the truth. Honesty is the best policy, right? Or at least I hope so.

waitlisted at the University of North Dakota, notified by e-mail from DCT, 3rd alternate

Members don't see this ad :)

My hunch is that your POI at School A wants to know if she should keep in greater touch with her first choice, because in case her #1 does not accept she wants you. She doesn't want to lose you because you pull out due to impatience with waiting. I mean, if it gets to be April 14th and her first choice bails, you may bail too, leaving her with...? I would say to let her know that her school is your top choice but you have another offer on the table as well.

My guess: There is a high chance that #1 (the accepted student) bails on School A for another acceptance since whatever makes em #1 there probably makes em #1 elsewhere. Perhaps the POI wants to rank at #2 another excellent candidate who would sooner choose to attend the program over someone who is going to hold the acceptance only to turn it down later; picking the latter potentially endangers the POI's chances of bringing in a good fit from the waitlist who at that point may have given up and accepted an offer elsewhere. Does that make sense?

Or... Perhaps your POI is just a bully. :smuggrin:

The chair of a psychology department basically told me that this is the case. They don't want to extend a second round offer to someone who is going to reject, because then they should just go to their 3rd choice candidate. If the 2nd choice candidate sits on the offer for too long, or even if the process of extending an offer takes a good chunk of time, then the 3rd choice candidate might be gone, and the POI could be left with their 6th or 7th choice, or potentially not getting a student that year at all.

This process is a calculated feeding frenzy from both sides.

The chair of a psychology department basically told me that this is the case. They don't want to extend a second round offer to someone who is going to reject, because then they should just go to their 3rd choice candidate. If the 2nd choice candidate sits on the offer for too long, or even if the process of extending an offer takes a good chunk of time, then the 3rd choice candidate might be gone, and the POI could be left with their 6th or 7th choice, or potentially not getting a student that year at all.

This process is a calculated feeding frenzy from both sides.

To offer an alternative perspective, I just got an email from my POI at one of the programs I have been fortunate enough to get an offer to. He/she asked about where else I had interviewed and received possible offers so that they could use that as leverage to try and provide me with a little extra funding that may be available. I only say this to point out that I don't think we can ever really know someone's motivation for wanting to know our application status at other programs.

Furthermore, this POI already knew/was able to actually list all of the other places I had interviewed. At least in my area of interest, these are usually small, well-connected circles of faculty researching the same things. Of course they're going to talk. I guess my position is one of transparency, but perhaps I would feel differently if I didn't already have a few options to consider.

This is my first year applying, and after attending 4 interviews for PhD, it appears that all of the programs have notified applicants who have been accepted/waitlisted. Is there a possibility of being notified that I have been waitlisted at a later date from a program? Or do most programs send out these notifications all at once? :confused:

Waitlisted at UT Austin for counseling. Notified via email from POI on 3/2. Really hoping the first pick rejects the offer, but I'm not optimistic.

This is my first year applying, and after attending 4 interviews for PhD, it appears that all of the programs have notified applicants who have been accepted/waitlisted. Is there a possibility of being notified that I have been waitlisted at a later date from a program? Or do most programs send out these notifications all at once? :confused:

Both programs that waitlisted me sent out their notifications at the same time they sent out acceptance notifications.

Just wanted to send out a word of encouragement to those of you on the waitlist at schools. I was in your position last year (had one offer that was too expensive for me to accept and waitlisted at two). I had to call some of the programs I interviewed at to find out that I had been either denied or waitlisted.

My biggest advice would be to keep in touch with your POI or the DCT at the school (whichever has been communicating with you regarding your position) enough so that you communicate your continued interest in working with them but NOT so much that you annoy the bejeezus out of them. :) I think I called once every 2-3 weeks or so if they hadn't contacted me. It's a stressful process for them, too, and one that makes everyone involved feel pretty helpless. Hopefully they're transparent with you regarding your place on the waitlist, but you should be okay to politely ask if people in your position on the waitlist have ultimately been offered a position in the past. Keep in mind that it's all speculation, though.

In regards to telling them about your other offers, I recommend doing it in a way that communicates your sincere interest in their program. Emphasize the fact that you would definitely prefer their program / to work with them (if that's the truth) and that you're willing to wait for the position to become available.

Remember, the person holding the spot that you desperately want is probably desperately wanting someone else's spot at another program!!! You may have to wait a week or two for people to finish getting offers, or you may have to wait (like I did) until April 13/14/15 when the dominoes start falling and the spots open up in a mad rush for the finish line.

Good luck and hang in there!! :xf:

Is it common for a program to send out waitlist notifications at the same time as offers? The reason I ask is because I have seen some of the schools that I have interviewed at extend offers but I have not received any information at all - so I'm not sure if this is cause of offers being given by individual POIs at their own pace or because us waitlisters will just have to wait a while before we know for sure that we are waitlisted. At what point is it okay to ask the POI/admissions faculty your admission status?

Is anyone else going absolutely bonkers waiting?? gah

I was blogging my whole experience back in 2007. I went back to read that blog and realized how "bonkers" the whole situation made me. Hang in there ! At the time I had little hope of an offer off the waitlists I was on. 3 weeks after interview weekend I called the program directors yet again to see if there was movement on the list. I had moved up to first alternate on one list, which was encouraging. Little movement on the other. Two days later on March 31st the program director woke me up out of a sound sleep with a phone call offering me a spot in their program and sent me an email with the official offer and funding details. I didn't accept out right, told him I would call him back after I reviewed the details of the offer. I then called the other program that had waitlisted me and asked them the chances of an offer off of their waitlist. They said chances were slim. So I told them I had another offer and they suggested I take it, and I did. The whole process was incredibly stressful but what I have seen over the last 5 years is a lot of incredibly qualified individuals waitlisted every year at my program. The number of applications for our program compared to number of positions available just means that very qualified people are being rejected and even more qualified people are being waitlisted. So hang in there folks !

The fact that I was not even waitlisted on both of the interviews I went made me feel bad. I am only waiting on one more interview. I feel that being waitlisted is still a recognition. Being completely thrown out of a wait list is almost insulting.
ahhh....
hard not to be obsessed about what I could have done better. This feeling is killing me, at times. :scared:

I fully understand. This year was my second year applying, and last year I was wait-listed at two schools and did not get an acceptance. This year I had four interviews and I loved three of the programs, but I got wait-listed at two again. BUT, just last week I received an offer from one of the schools off the wait-list and I accepted. For me it just helped to understand that is process is long, stressful, and in many ways very arbitrarily in the way decisions are made. I used the last year to increase both my regular GRE and Psych GREs, get more publication experience, more training where I worked, and just made sure I put myself in the best position to apply this year. Actually, the faculty member I accepted to this year said he was impressed by my application last year, I just did not choose him as a mentor so he did not have a say about bringing me in.

Just keep looking forward, keep improving what you can and you never know what can happen :)

Ok, I am officially going nuts!!!! :scared:

It's my second year applying and I only had 1 interview (out of 12). Last year, I had 2 interviews and 1 acceptance (which did not go through because my POI learned about the approval of his sabbatical request). For obvious reasons I was crushed. This time around, I re-applied with better "credentials" (better GRE scores, more research experience, and working on a publication) and I only got one interview.

I got an e-mail yesterday from my POI saying that I am on a short list of applicants and that he should know something more "concrete" soon and to please be patient. What does this mean????? Was someone else offered admission and he is just waiting to see what this student says? Or is it a funding issue? Any input is appreciated...:oops:

Is it appropriate to ask specific questions about this? Should I ask if I am being waitlisted or what are the reasons that are "complicating" the decision process?
:scared:

What do you think?

If this does not go through, it looks like it's going to be another year of applications and stress:(.

Today I got email that I am in alternate list:( , can any body tell me this is deference between waiting list and alternate list?

Until when we have to be wait to get our final result? how many percantage is to get addmission in alternate list?

Got an email stating that I was an alternate at Tennessee State University Counseling PhD program. Post interview.

Hey, wanted to let you know I declined my offer at TSU's Counseling Psychology program. I hope that opens up a spot for you! PM me and I'll let you know my POI's.

To anyone waitlisted at Indiana University's Counseling Psychology PhD program- I just removed my name from consideration from their waiting list so I hope someone else can benefit!!

I just removed myself as first alternate from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, so good luck to the next person!

I am on the wait-list at 3 places for clinical. (UW-Milwaukee, Mosack lab, Syracuse, Vanable lab, and UMSL, Taylor lab.) Slowly losing my mind.

Last edited:
Please kindly answer to my questions

Today I got email that I am in alternate list , can any body tell me this is deference between waiting list and alternate list?

Until when we have to be wait to get our final result? how many percantage is to get addmission in alternate list?

Waitlisted at Rugters PsyD program
notified via email from program admin 3/6/12
The letter said we could call and ask our ranking but when I called the woman said she didn't have rankings, only names.... Frustrating!!!

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for not posting this sooner! I was notified by e-mail on 02/22/12 that I am on a "short alternate list" at Georgia State University.

All the best,
Chris

Waitlisted at Rugters PsyD program
notified via email from program admin 3/6/12
The letter said we could call and ask our ranking but when I called the woman said she didn't have rankings, only names.... Frustrating!!!

Yeesh. I interviewed at Rutgers' PsyD this year too, and I haven't gotten ANY notifications...this is making me worry. >_< would it be a bad idea to call since I haven't received anything?

I got an email this afternoon from Yeshiva University/Ferkauf School-Clinical Child PsyD program.

They said they would contact waitlisted students in the order of their rank, but as of yet, no ranking system was in place.

So... we shall see! Should be super fun waiting until April!

Good luck everyone!

Please kindly answer to my questions

Today I got email that I am in alternate list , can any body tell me this is deference between waiting list and alternate list?

As far as I know, there is no difference between an alternate list and a waiting list. The deadline for decisions is April 15th, and the waiting time depends on how fast the applicants with offers respond to programs. I don't know the answer to your last question... but it would be nice to know!

I was waitlisted over a month ago with no interview at my top choice, and I've been given an offer elsewhere and I really want to accept them because they seem to really want me and they also want an answer soon...

Should I call my top choice? If I do, what should I ask?

Or.. Is it safe to say they probably won't take me?

I really want to give this school an answer soon!

I was waitlisted over a month ago with no interview at my top choice, and I've been given an offer elsewhere and I really want to accept them because they seem to really want me and they also want an answer soon...

Should I call my top choice? If I do, what should I ask?

Or.. Is it safe to say they probably won't take me?

I really want to give this school an answer soon!
If it was me I would call my top choice and inform them that I have another offer but they are still my top choice so should I continue to hold out. See if you can get a sense of their interest in you.

Hi all,

I am aware that a first round of acceptances has gone out but has anyone heard anything from Lehigh about being waitlisted, or anything along those lines? I'm trying to figure out my status - I haven't heard a peep post interview! :(

Called these guys just now to ask about my application status after seeing a member post their acceptance. Obviously I was told the first round of acceptances have been extended. Now the committee is reviewing applications to put together an alternates list. Supposedly it should be finished within the next week.