2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:

Members don't see this ad.

Received email saying waitlisted at DePaul's clinical community PhD program. Does anyone know what they mean by "waitlist of unranked applicants"?

Wait-listed at UMass Boston via email today. I really hope this one works out!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've removed myself from the waitlists at Northern Illinois and UT Southwestern (both clinical) and declined my offer at Missouri-Columbia (counseling). I hope this will help somebody out there! Good luck, all!

Waitlisted for DePaul Clinical PhD Community Track 3/7

If I wrote to ask about my wait list status on Feb. 20th, and was told that the rankings would be done after the first round of admits responded, is it too soon to ask if there have been any changes to my status?

Received email saying waitlisted at DePaul's clinical community PhD program. Does anyone know what they mean by "waitlist of unranked applicants"?

I received the same email and also have no idea what that means.

It might mean that they follow a similar protocol as the university I am wait-listed at, which is that they don't rank wait-listed applicants until after the first round of admits respond. In other words, they don't bother ranking until they know for sure that the first choice isn't accepting.

I received the same email, I think it just means that the list has no particular order (ranking). I believe some people often ask what position they are on the list. In an unranked wait-list II believe they reassess each candidate again if a position opens up.
This is my understanding, although I'm not completely positive.

I just recently interviewed at the University of New Mexico and both of us invited for interview day have asked to be removed from consideration (we each took offers else where). There were 3rd and 4th choices (not at the interview) that the faculty member said would be invited in our place so good luck to anyone who is still waiting on a response from this school!

I've seen a bunch of waitlists posted now for DePaul Clinical Community PhD, but what about DePaul Clinical Child. Anyone heard anything there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recently interviewed at the University of New Mexico and both of us invited for interview day have asked to be removed from consideration (we each took offers else where). There were 3rd and 4th choices (not at the interview) that the faculty member said would be invited in our place so good luck to anyone who is still waiting on a response from this school!
Can you PM me who your POI was? I am waiting to hear from them!

I know people do get off of the waiting list, but how common is it? I'm on the waiting list at my favorite program and I don't know if I realistically have a chance of getting in :(

I know people do get off of the waiting list, but how common is it? I'm on the waiting list at my favorite program and I don't know if I realistically have a chance of getting in :(

I am having these same thoughts...

It really depends on the program, the year, the applicant's other offers, etc. One of the programs where I interviewed said they usually go 2-3 people down in the waitlist - they were less competitive. Another more competitive program mentioned they rarely go to the waitlist since most of their offers are accepted. Who knows.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I figured I'd try. I received an offer of admission from a program I really like! However, I haven't heard anything from 3 of the other programs I applied to, all of whom have better funding and have already extended interview invites. If I were to hear from one of them, I may pick them over my current offer. Should I assume that I've been unofficially rejected from these programs? Or is it possible that I've been waitlisted without an interview? I really want to accept my current offer, but am worried I'll get an offer with better funding later. Any advice would be helpful :)

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I figured I'd try. I received an offer of admission from a program I really like! However, I haven't heard anything from 3 of the other programs I applied to, all of whom have better funding and have already extended interview invites. If I were to hear from one of them, I may pick them over my current offer. Should I assume that I've been unofficially rejected from these programs? Or is it possible that I've been waitlisted without an interview? I really want to accept my current offer, but am worried I'll get an offer with better funding later. Any advice would be helpful :)

Personally, I would just call these programs and inquire about your status.

Hi everyone,

I just yanked myself off the waitlist at Northern Illinois and pulled out of the interview process at Illinois Institute of Technology--even though they were clear decisions for me, making the first big decision was still tough!

On another note, I'm definitely feeling the waitlist blues to a certain extent--while I have an offer from an awesome program, I'm holding out for my top choice, where I'm first on the waitlist. I know that this is a good situation to be in, relatively speaking, but I still don't feel like I can pull out the champagne when I don't know where I'll be next year. Good luck, everyone!

I've removed myself from the waitlists at Northern Illinois and UT Southwestern (both clinical) and declined my offer at Missouri-Columbia (counseling). I hope this will help somebody out there! Good luck, all!

This is a little creepy but I just got a call from POI offering acceptance off the alternate list at Missouri. Maybe it was your space that opened up :)

People DO get in off the waitlist so I hope this is encouraging to any others feeling bummed about being waitlisted.

This is a little creepy but I just got a call from POI offering acceptance off the alternate list at Missouri. Maybe it was your space that opened up :)

People DO get in off the waitlist so I hope this is encouraging to any others feeling bummed about being waitlisted.
Thanks so much for sharing this. A little bit of hope! :) Congratulations!

Did anyone else get the DePaul waitlist email without interviewing there? It seems pretty strange to be put on a waiting list without even interviewing which is what happened to me.

Did anyone else get the DePaul waitlist email without interviewing there? It seems pretty strange to be put on a waiting list without even interviewing which is what happened to me.
I agree. I also have been waitlisted at DePaul and really confused as I did not interview there. Seems weird and not holding my breath on this one...

Personally, I would just call these programs and inquire about your status.

That's what I did. And for the original poster, I was waitlisted without an interview so you may be, too.

Just made my first decision: turned down an offer from Marquette. I hope this helps someone here. My POI was appreciative of the "early" (her word) decision, so don't worry too much. Decisions are only beginning to be made, so there may be a small cascade of offers coming within the month.

As blue as this thread is, I really feel for the Phase II folks on the internship thread, too. It just doesn't seem to end ever, does it?

Is this clinical or counseling? Thanks!

I'm on the waitlist at my dream school. They have 3 spots and I'm number 4. I actively go between being hopeful and depressed on an hourly basis. So close but so far.

I'm on the waitlist at my dream school. They have 3 spots and I'm number 4. I actively go between being hopeful and depressed on an hourly basis. So close but so far.

That's crazy that you know such specifics! I feel like that's a much better chance than some of us other waitlisters. I know I'm wait listed at my top choice school, but I have no clue how high up I am and I didn't even interview there, so I feel like it's a long shot.

That's crazy that you know such specifics! I feel like that's a much better chance than some of us other waitlisters. I know I'm wait listed at my top choice school, but I have no clue how high up I am and I didn't even interview there, so I feel like it's a long shot.

Given that I would accept this offer in a second, I decided to email for more information. I was wondering if I was a high alternate or if there were others in front of me that would get the offer. Just wanted to know if I should keep my hopes up or move on. They provided all the information on # of spots/waitlist position. Sad pandas.

Given that I would accept this offer in a second, I decided to email for more information. I was wondering if I was a high alternate or if there were others in front of me that would get the offer. Just wanted to know if I should keep my hopes up or move on. They provided all the information on # of spots/waitlist position. Sad pandas.

I'm assuming you interviewed?

I'm assuming you interviewed?

Yup. Through this whole process, I've really kept myself from getting my hopes up about anything. I was just kind of taking things as they come and making decisions based on what happens (interview invites, acceptances, waitlists, rejections). However, my interview at this school was great and I admit, I kinda got my hopes up. Now I'm just crushed.

informed i'm on the waiting list via snail mail today (3/8)

what are my chances??!?!

my stomach almost untied of knots after first seeing a very thin envelope :confused:

Yup. Through this whole process, I've really kept myself from getting my hopes up about anything. I was just kind of taking things as they come and making decisions based on what happens (interview invites, acceptances, waitlists, rejections). However, my interview at this school was great and I admit, I kinda got my hopes up. Now I'm just crushed.

Well I wish you the very best of luck and hope you get in. :) Fingers crossed for you!

Wait listed at Yeshiva - Ferkauf (Clinical PhD - Health Emphasis) via email (03/08)

sigh...don't know whether to get my hopes up?! I have an acceptance somewhere else but would more than likely choose this program over it and don't want to keep the other school waiting for too long!

Wait listed at Yeshiva - Ferkauf (Clinical PhD - Health Emphasis) via email (03/08)

sigh...don't know whether to get my hopes up?! I have an acceptance somewhere else but would more than likely choose this program over it and don't want to keep the other school waiting for too long!
Don't give up yet and dont let any program force you to make a decision before the 15th. I am holding on to a Yeshiva PhD offer for the moment until my status on a preferred program clears up. The other school is telling me that the process may go all the way to the wire and I should just be prepared. I believe the person currently considering the offer I want is wait listed at another program they prefer and so it goes on and on :) There is going to be a last minute dash for sure but as soon as I know where I am going I will let Yeshiva know.

Don't give up yet and dont let any program force you to make a decision before the 15th. I am holding on to a Yeshiva PhD offer for the moment until my status on a preferred program clears up. The other school is telling me that the process may go all the way to the wire and I should just be prepared. I believe the person currently considering the offer I want is wait listed at another program they prefer and so it goes on and on :) There is going to be a last minute dash for sure but as soon as I know where I am going I will let Yeshiva know.

haha yeah I figured there are a lot of chain reactions about to happen in the coming weeks in regards to the wait listings. I hope your preferred (other) program comes through for you (being selfish) :laugh:

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the top 5 on the waitlist at my preferred program and the waiting may last until the last minute. I don't know if I even have a shot since the program is pretty competitive. I'm stressed just thinking about the possibility of waiting another month! And it's hard not to feel somewhat guilty for holding onto one acceptance for so long because I know other people are on the same position.

I was waitlisted over a month ago with no interview at my top choice, and I've been given an offer elsewhere and I really want to accept them because they seem to really want me and they also want an answer soon...

Should I call my top choice? If I do, what should I ask?

Or.. Is it safe to say they probably won't take me?

I really want to give this school an answer soon!

Are you officially on the waitlist? And is this a program that does offer interviews? I only ask because, while it's not impossible to get into a program that didn't interview you, it's highly unlikely, at least for clinical PhD programs. In my program, each POI tends to interview 4-5 people, and if none of those work out (either because they accepted offers elsewhere, or they weren't a good fit at the interview), the POI just doesn't take a student that year. While your other program certainly can't pressure you to accept their offer before the deadline, you also don't want to drag the process out unless your waitlist program indicates that you're near the top of their list. I think it's totally reasonable to ask them about this.

I was the one who was first on the waitlist at Florida International University (FIU) and the person in front of me took the spot, FYI

Also, if anyone was applying to Hawaii I withdrew myself from consideration after a really good interview with my POI. Hopefully, this helps someone out.

Hang in there guys!

I also know someone who is holding an offer from Yeshiva who will very likely accept somewhere else. Hang in there and good luck!

I also know someone who is holding an offer from Yeshiva who will very likely accept somewhere else. Hang in there and good luck!

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

I am officially on the waitlist but I do not know how high up. They do offer interviews, they had them 2 weeks ago today.

Are you officially on the waitlist? And is this a program that does offer interviews? I only ask because, while it's not impossible to get into a program that didn't interview you, it's highly unlikely, at least for clinical PhD programs. In my program, each POI tends to interview 4-5 people, and if none of those work out (either because they accepted offers elsewhere, or they weren't a good fit at the interview), the POI just doesn't take a student that year. While your other program certainly can't pressure you to accept their offer before the deadline, you also don't want to drag the process out unless your waitlist program indicates that you're near the top of their list. I think it's totally reasonable to ask them about this.

Is anyone on here on the wait list at University of Minnesota's Counseling PhD program?? (in the psycholgy department, not the program through the education school)

nope. I e-mailed my POI a good month post-phone interview and he said that I was rejected....the first offer must have accepted right away.

Is anyone on here on the wait list at University of Minnesota's Counseling PhD program?? (in the psycholgy department, not the program through the education school)

nope. I e-mailed my POI a good month post-phone interview and he said that I was rejected....the first offer must have accepted right away.

I visited last weekend for the welcome weekend and there were four of us who had been accepted, but none of us had officially accepted their offers yet. They implied that there was no wait list, and that the professors would not be taking any student if their first choice did not accept. However, I wasn't sure if this was the case because it was unclear if there was a wait list behind us.

The offer was REALLY hard to turn down, but I ended up taking a different offer. I just thought I would check to see if anyone else was on the wait list, in the hopes that it might help someone out to know a offer might be coming.

If it was me I would call my top choice and inform them that I have another offer but they are still my top choice so should I continue to hold out. See if you can get a sense of their interest in you.

When I do this (I plan on doing so today), should I contact the DCT directly? The letter waitlisting me had his signature on it and I also sent him an e-mail afterwards letting him know I was still interested.

When I do this (I plan on doing so today), should I contact the DCT directly? The letter waitlisting me had his signature on it and I also sent him an e-mail afterwards letting him know I was still interested.

Yes, definitely inform the DCT. It might be a good idea to contact your POI too.

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as me, sitting on a waitlist or two, and anxiously refreshing your email every few minutes. I am curious, if anyone out there has been through this before, does this process usually really go right up until April 15th when there is this massive shuffle? Or do people actually hear from waitlists in March and early April? It seems to me like the vast majority of schools have made their offers at this point and things should start domino-ing into place but it also seems like a very real possibility that nothing will happen until mid-April and we will have a groundhog's day -esque four more weeks of waiting... Just wondering if people have a general sense of how likely it is for us to hear any time soon.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as me, sitting on a waitlist or two, and anxiously refreshing your email every few minutes. I am curious, if anyone out there has been through this before, does this process usually really go right up until April 15th when there is this massive shuffle? Or do people actually hear from waitlists in March and early April? It seems to me like the vast majority of schools have made their offers at this point and things should start domino-ing into place but it also seems like a very real possibility that nothing will happen until mid-April and we will have a groundhog's day -esque four more weeks of waiting... Just wondering if people have a general sense of how likely it is for us to hear any time soon.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm wondering the same thing. I hope that things don't go until the last minute...