2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted my apps. I am going to keep looking at the late breaking news, but here starts the waiting game again.

Members don't see this ad.

REALLY frustrated about sites pulling out of phase II. Glad I wasted hours of my life combing through brochures, crafting cover letters, networking, etc. Is there a way to opt in to receiving Match News via e-mail?

Thanks everyone.. good luck to everyone here as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Site: University of Mississippi Medical Center/V.A. Medical Center
Program #: 1403
TD Name: T. David Elkin, Ph.D., ABPP
TD Contact: [email protected] - 601-984-5855
Date/Time Added: Tuesday, February 25, 11:30am Eastern

The University of Mississippi Medical Center/V.A. Medical Center in Jackson, MS will NOT be participating in Phase II of the APPIC Match

Are there any others that dropped out of Phase II?

Thanks everyone.. good luck to everyone here as well.

Best of luck. I cannot imagine going thee this three times. Did you get any feedback, so you have something to work with?

Site: University of Mississippi Medical Center/V.A. Medical Center
Program #: 1403
TD Name: T. David Elkin, Ph.D., ABPP
TD Contact: [email protected] - 601-984-5855
Date/Time Added: Tuesday, February 25, 11:30am Eastern

The University of Mississippi Medical Center/V.A. Medical Center in Jackson, MS will NOT be participating in Phase II of the APPIC Match

Are there any others that dropped out of Phase II?

Probably not (at least not any on my list), sorry. That was a fit of frustration after I spent several hours on a cover letter, tailoring essays, etc. for that site in particular and was really hopeful about... only to see that when I got home from the gym. Distress Tolerance skills are only getting me so far these days lol especially when our time is at a premium

so, i can't believe I'm saying this but here goes round four! I didn't match last year in round one or two and i struck out again in round one this year. i know its not my interview skills cause i only got 1-2 interviews each time. and, trust me, I'm not applying outta my league. ugh....so tired and broke. sought feedback from dcts last year, improved my hours in xyz areas....fewer interviews than before. all my essays are multi professor reviewed and I'm kinda kick ass in hrs at this pt with the extra yr in.......

--lost and confused

I just submitted a large bundle of apps...I relate to some of the other posters that I am looking for a fairly generalist training opportunity for my internship year, so there actually were quite a few sites that I would be a good fit for me. I fully admit I limited myself geographically first round, and am now regretting that...guess we will see what happens over the next couple weeks :slap:

Best of luck. I cannot imagine going thee this three times. Did you get any feedback, so you have something to work with?
Thanks.. I did.. mostly very positive and "so sad to see you didn't match" but nothing useful/helpful (yet, anyway)... this has got to change!

so, i can't believe I'm saying this but here goes round four! I didn't match last year in round one or two and i struck out again in round one this year. i know its not my interview skills cause i only got 1-2 interviews each time. and, trust me, I'm not applying outta my league. ugh....so tired and broke. sought feedback from dcts last year, improved my hours in xyz areas....fewer interviews than before. all my essays are multi professor reviewed and I'm kinda kick ass in hrs at this pt with the extra yr in.......

--lost and confused

that stinks. Best of luck in this sound. What type of sites are you interested in?

--lost and confused
Ha! I can't even think about the credit card debt behind all this traveling for no reason.. the sting of not matching is so overwhelming! I feel you big time.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh...not to mention the month+ that I lost during which I could have been getting one step closer to finishing my dissertation! I only had 4 interviews so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but for some reason I was fairly confident I was going to match--I was the one telling others in my cohort to have faith. Oh the irony...

Members don't see this ad :)
This process sucks for all of us. My husband and I have both been graduate students while raising our four small children (constant chaos in our home). My mother passed away a few months ago and we have been looking after my dad since then. His health has taken a bad turn in the last few weeks, so I feel like one of the few people who actually narrowed my site selection process geographically from phase I to phase II. I wouldn't have it any other way, because every member of our family brings such meaning into our lives, but there are seven of us who are in limbo until this is resolved one way or another. We have had life threatening medical problems that are now resolved, and I keep trying to remind myself that compared to those issues, in the grand scheme of things, this is not the massive deal I sometimes feel it is. But at the end of the day, the whole imbalance issue really bites. :) Good luck to all of us and here's hoping for fantastic news on March 24!

This process sucks for all of us. My husband and I have both been graduate students while raising our four small children (constant chaos in our home). My mother passed away a few months ago and we have been looking after my dad since then. His health has taken a bad turn in the last few weeks, so I feel like one of the few people who actually narrowed my site selection process geographically from phase I to phase II. I wouldn't have it any other way, because every member of our family brings such meaning into our lives, but there are seven of us who are in limbo until this is resolved one way or another. We have had life threatening medical problems that are now resolved, and I keep trying to remind myself that compared to those issues, in the grand scheme of things, this is not the massive deal I sometimes feel it is. But at the end of the day, the whole imbalance issue really bites. :) Good luck to all of us and here's hoping for fantastic news on March 24!

I am so sorry about your father! Good luck to you.

Ugh...not to mention the month+ that I lost during which I could have been getting one step closer to finishing my dissertation! I only had 4 interviews so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but for some reason I was fairly confident I was going to match--I was the one telling others in my cohort to have faith. Oh the irony...

I totally relate. I was hoping to focus on my dissertation after match day, but now that I did not match, it is still on the back burner. I wonder when we will start to hear from sites. Last year, someone heard from one the same day the apps were due.

How broadly (geographically wise) do you plan on applying? There are sites in some states I could not imagine living in, and do not know if it would be worth matching there v taking off a year and re-applying.

How broadly (geographically wise) do you plan on applying? There are sites in some states I could not imagine living in, and do not know if it would be worth matching there v taking off a year and re-applying.

My general input has typically been, "it's only a year; you can live anywhere for a year." However, it's ultimately up to you. If you're fairly certain that living in these states is going to make you miserable, then foregoing those sites might be your best option (after all, neither you nor the staff at the training site want you to come in on a down note from day one). But I'll add to that by saying you might be surprised how much you can enjoy living somewhere that you might not have initially considered.

My husband will not be joining me so my only location criterion was that I needed to be within ~one hour of an airport which had flights to his city. Like AA said, I can live anywhere for a year... as long as he and I can get to each other in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm engaged and I'm applying wherever in the country I that fits my interest. As much as I would hate a long distance relationship. It is 1 year. Between his vacation and potential vacation on internship, Skype, phone, texting I think it will be okay. Ended up applying to 19 places (24 tracks)

I'm engaged and I'm applying wherever in the country I that fits my interest. As much as I would hate a long distance relationship. It is 1 year. Between his vacation and potential vacation on internship, Skype, phone, texting I think it will be okay. Ended up applying to 19 places (24 tracks)

For those in similar situations--about half of my internship class (as well as numerous folks I know from grad school) had significant others who were located in other states, and they all seemed to make it through completely unscathed. Having an internship class with whom you get along and can hang out definitely seems to help.

For those in similar situations--about half of my internship class (as well as numerous folks I know from grad school) had significant others who were located in other states, and they all seemed to make it through completely unscathed. Having an internship class with whom you get along and can hang out definitely seems to help.
Yeah we've already been living apart for a year and though there are still difficult moments, I have to be honest in that it hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected.. and the time has flown by! Modern technology helps quite a bit.

My husband will not be joining me so my only location criterion was that I needed to be within ~one hour of an airport which had flights to his city. Like AA said, I can live anywhere for a year... as long as he and I can get to each other in a reasonable amount of time.

I should come up with a one hour near airport criteria! My partner and I did long distance for four years and I finally moved back with him this year and am working on my dissertation remotely, since all of my coursework is done. I was hoping to match somewhere drivable, but that did no happen. I hate to go back to long distance again.

Last edited:
My general input has typically been, "it's only a year; you can live anywhere for a year." However, it's ultimately up to you. If you're fairly certain that living in these states is going to make you miserable, then foregoing those sites might be your best option (after all, neither you nor the staff at the training site want you to come in on a down note from day one). But I'll add to that by saying you might be surprised how much you can enjoy living somewhere that you might not have initially considered.

I will second this advice. A year goes by very quickly, and at most sites, you're going to be busy and also very broke. I was in a geographically desirable area, but most of my limited time outside of work was spent doing more work at home, doing work with friends at coffee shops, and occasionally going for walks and meeting friends for dinner - all of which I could have done just as easily in a small town, while paying substantially less rent. I didn't have time or money to check out most of the area attractions. I wouldn't have changed things, because I wanted to be at that internship site regardless of where it was located, but I wouldn't rule out other areas unless you're absolutely certain that you wouldn't live there.

Why do you think the State University of Kansas has four openings? This means that they did not fill any in Phase I. Do you think that is a red flag?

I don't know, it might be because they take half counseling half clinical in the past. Does seem really odd? Anyone in phase 1 know anything. Psychrat, if you find anything out let me know.

Also remember that some places may surprise you. I interviewed at one site I was expecting to hate the location and wound up ranking it highly because I feel like it was an incredible bargain given the low cost of living and more than enough to entertain me for a year (or even a few years). Internship isn't a lifelong commitment so I sort of took a "Why not try something new" approach. Obviously, some people have partner/family considerations that limit things, but barring that I'd say if the internship seems good it is at least worth a try.

I also can't imagine how American Lake VA ended up with four open spots. I keep waiting for someone to correct it!

I also can't imagine how American Lake VA ended up with four open spots. I keep waiting for someone to correct it!
Yeah - I'm surprised, but I'm going to chalk this one up to there being so many great VAs in the northwest and them not lucking out in the rankings this year. Let's face it - we're qualified candidates who weren't lucky enough to match so there must be programs in the same situation :)

Anyone applying to Alaska? My sister keeps telling me that she think it would be fascinating to live there for a year, but it seems so, so far that I do no think it is even worth applying.

Fellow Match 2 participant here. I wish all of you the best of luck! Question....is anyone else reapplying to a site that they applied to in Round 1? I am trying to but having difficulty locating the site. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions :)

Fellow Match 2 participant here. I wish all of you the best of luck! Question....is anyone else reapplying to a site that they applied to in Round 1? I am trying to but having difficulty locating the site. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions :)
None of my Phase I sites are available, but a friend of mine will be applying to several sites in Phase II that did not choose to interview her in Phase I.

Is anyone here applying to unaccredited internships in Phase II? I am applying to 2 accredited sites and 2 unaccredited, but I'm not sure if this is a waste of my time as I still have significant concerns regarding taking an unaccredited internship.

However, I'm also not sure if I have it in me to wait for another year and go through this process again. It's demoralizing!

KeepCalm ... I am considering this also. I really want APPIC accreditation at the very least but I also cannot afford the wait around another year option. I also think about the expense of relocating and wonder if there is any point in relocating for an unaccredited internship because one could just as easily find a paid position where a licensed psychologist is willing to supervise in the area. I am so very torn on many of these topics!

doasisay. I only have one I am considering reapplying to, but the site doesn't even appear to be available to me on the APPI site because I already applied to it during R1. Grrr... Lol

doasisay. I only have one I am considering reapplying to, but the site doesn't even appear to be available to me on the APPI site because I already applied to it during R1. Grrr... Lol

That's strange - did they perhaps pull out of Phase II? If you haven't already, maybe check the Late Breaking News to see?

I applied to two sites that didn't interview me and was able select it on the APPI

Is anyone here applying to unaccredited internships in Phase II? I am applying to 2 accredited sites and 2 unaccredited, but I'm not sure if this is a waste of my time as I still have significant concerns regarding taking an unaccredited internship.

However, I'm also not sure if I have it in me to wait for another year and go through this process again. It's demoralizing!

my program (a university based PhD program) requires that I do an APA accredited internship, so it limits me to less sites.

I would check the List of Participating Programs for Phase II again just to make sure that the site is, in fact, offering a position. I am re-applying to one site that I applied to in Phase 1 and was able to easily locate it through the search function after hitting "add new entry" on the program designations page. Hope this helps!

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check.

Anyone else still bogged down finishing cover letters?! My advisor suggested major changes to my essays and these cover letters are taking forever! It's going to be a looong night...

Anyone else still bogged down finishing cover letters?! My advisor suggested major changes to my essays and these cover letters are taking forever! It's going to be a looong night...

Did they change things relative to a couple years ago? When I was applying (2010 for the 2011-2012 training year), I'm pretty sure the Phase II instructions explicitly stated to only upload a single, more generic cover letter.

OMG...can anyone else confirm that that's what I am supposed to do?? That seems crazy...different programs fit with my training goals for different reasons and I can't IMAGINE writing one to satisfy all given the diversity of the programs I'm applying to!

OMG...can anyone else confirm that that's what I am supposed to do?? That seems crazy...different programs fit with my training goals for different reasons and I can't IMAGINE writing one to satisfy all given the diversity of the programs I'm applying to!

I think it was mentioned in one of the emails that went out after Phase I of the match. I could be mis-remembering things, though, but I believe the idea was to take some of the burden off of the Phase II applicants given the quick application turnaround.

OK...glad that moment of panic is over. Under the Phase II instructions it says:

"During Phase II, applicants are expected to tailor their cover letters to each site to which they are applying, describing the fit between the site and the applicant and highlighting the applicant's interests, background, and experience, just as they did during Phase I."

OK...glad that moment of panic is over. Under the Phase II instructions it says:

"During Phase II, applicants are expected to tailor their cover letters to each site to which they are applying, describing the fit between the site and the applicant and highlighting the applicant's interests, background, and experience, just as they did during Phase I."

Ahh, ok; sorry for inducing some panic. I either mis-remembered it from the year I applied, or they've since changed it (maybe they got feedback from the Phase II applicants back when I applied, who all said that tailored cover letters would've been preferred...?).

No problem, actually you inspired me to read the Phase II instructions carefully, which is probably a great idea! I skimmed them on Friday but was probably too distraught to properly take in all of the information...

I will second this advice. A year goes by very quickly, and at most sites, you're going to be busy and also very broke. I was in a geographically desirable area, but most of my limited time outside of work was spent doing more work at home, doing work with friends at coffee shops, and occasionally going for walks and meeting friends for dinner - all of which I could have done just as easily in a small town, while paying substantially less rent. I didn't have time or money to check out most of the area attractions. I wouldn't have changed things, because I wanted to be at that internship site regardless of where it was located, but I wouldn't rule out other areas unless you're absolutely certain that you wouldn't live there.

And on the flip side--I matched to a site in a small city surrounded by relatively rural areas, but had a great time on internship. Cost of living was very low and the workload was very reasonable, so my internship cohort and I got together on a weekly basis (and usually multiple times per week) to hang out. We also discovered that there were a surprisingly large number of things to do despite the city's relatively small size.