2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone here applying to unaccredited internships in Phase II? I am applying to 2 accredited sites and 2 unaccredited, but I'm not sure if this is a waste of my time as I still have significant concerns regarding taking an unaccredited internship.

However, I'm also not sure if I have it in me to wait for another year and go through this process again. It's demoralizing!
I am applying to one unaccredited site - it's very close to home so no relocation costs, and within the VA system so I would have their reciprocity. It's actually a shame that it isn't accredited yet, because it's an excellent match to my interests. I also have one that has only APPIC accreditation, but they're conducting their self-study for APA now so there's a chance of getting grandfathered into that.

I am applying to one site that didn't interview me, and rather awkwardly, to a site that didn't rank me. On the other hand I am also applying to a couple that I wouldn't have bothered applying to in Phase I because I would have assumed I had negative chance of getting an interview (I probably still do, but for free, I might as well...).

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto to the "rather awkward" reapplication to a site that didn't rank me :).

Ditto to the "rather awkward" reapplication to a site that didn't rank me :).
Remember that you could have been ranked for site that filled their Match 1 positions before they got to you---but they have new positions that are being offered in Match II. Sites can only offer in Match 1 positions they have guaranteed funding for as of their closing date. It is not unusual for funding to come through after that date which allows for new positions that are in Match II.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, ok; sorry for inducing some panic. I either mis-remembered it from the year I applied, or they've since changed it (maybe they got feedback from the Phase II applicants back when I applied, who all said that tailored cover letters would've been preferred...?).

They changed it for last year, partially (I think) because sites were getting too many applications from people who really didn't have great fit but were applying because they were panicked and it was easy to do so.

My husband will not be joining me so my only location criterion was that I needed to be within ~one hour of an airport which had flights to his city. Like AA said, I can live anywhere for a year... as long as he and I can get to each other in a reasonable amount of time.

My spouse and I live 1000 miles apart this year, and see each other once overy month or 2. It sucks, yes, but with Skype or FaceTime, you can make it work. If kids were involved I wouldn't say the same, but as a childless couple you can make it work! A year will fly, seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, I pushed the submit button. Feeling a bit nauseous but I'll spare you all the puking emoticon...

Okay, I pushed the submit button. Feeling a bit nauseous but I'll spare you all the puking emoticon...
I am not nauseous, but I am exhausted. This may be the first time in years I go to bed before the 11:00 news!

I have a horrible suspicion that I'm the only Phase 2-er still awake on the East Coast working on application materials... I probably spent too much time moping last weekend... Luckily just a few finishing touches and last proofread of the cover letters to go! Congrats to all of you that submitted your apps already!

Because I like to torture myself, I just read through SDN's thread from last year regarding Phase II. If interview invite trends repeat themselves, it looks like we can expect the bulk of invites to go out between next Monday and Friday (March 3 - 7), with some invites trickling in as late as March 12 (in several cases people received invites and interviewed same day for the late notifiers). Some sites in this phase will not send out rejections at all. Some sites will email notification that they intend to rank you. I have to say, reading through all of those posts regarding what sites had sent out interview invites when and if it was personalized versus generic was damn depressing. Now that applications are in (again) I guess it's time to prepare for what comes next. Good luck all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a horrible suspicion that I'm the only Phase 2-er still awake on the East Coast working on application materials... I probably spent too much time moping last weekend... Luckily just a few finishing touches and last proofread of the cover letters to go! Congrats to all of you that submitted your apps already!
I was a moper last weekend as well - good luck!

They changed it for last year, partially (I think) because sites were getting too many applications from people who really didn't have great fit but were applying because they were panicked and it was easy to do so.

Makes sense, thank ya for the info.

Its demoralizing to think that most places will only interview 10 people out of probably 200 applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
Its demoralizing to think that most places will only interview 10 people out of probably 200 applicants
Sites will not interview any more than they have to, but most are also likely to have fewer apps than Phase 1 as the field of candidates is smaller, and they are motivated as you are to complete the process. If you have selected likely fits and are far enough along re dissertation, your odds could be better than Phase 1. It is a crazy and demoralizing process. But Phase II can yield great matches.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted this morning at 3am...and am a little concerned that I didn't get an email confirming my submission. I know they sent those out during Phase I - did anyone get email confirmations??

And the waiting game...again! Lol. Good luck to everyone.

I submitted this morning at 3am...and am a little concerned that I didn't get an email confirming my submission. I know they sent those out during Phase I - did anyone get email confirmations??
There are no email confirmations in Phase II apparently, but if it was submitted correctly, it will appear in your "Designations" tab.

The lack of e-mail made me very nervous too! I'm don't think I'll feel 100% sure that my applications arrived safely until a first interview (hopefully) rolls in...

Good luck to you all! May the odds be in our favor (even if they're not so hot...)

I'm so happy you guys posted about the email thing cause I was just freak out majorly and then I saw your posts. Thanks for saving me from having a panic attack. I was super late last night too till like 4 in the morning so thought I messed up. But I think I'm feeling better. Well I guess I won't feel better too until I get an actually interview.

The lack of e-mail made me very nervous too! I'm don't think I'll feel 100% sure that my applications arrived safely until a first interview (hopefully) rolls in...

Good luck to you all! May the odds be in our favor (even if they're not so hot...)

I also can't imagine how American Lake VA ended up with four open spots. I keep waiting for someone to correct it!
I have an untested theory about this. I know many GREAT applicants who received interviews at some top notch VAs, but did NOT get an interview at this site. I wonder if this site was perhaps too selective in their application process (and maybe even their rankings-- perhaps did not rank all applicants). Perhaps all those students who they DID rank put another site higher (and ended up matching at that site??). That's the only way I can make sense of that amount of unfilled spots. (or.. additional funding after rankings were due??)

I have an untested theory about this. I know many GREAT applicants who received interviews at some top notch VAs, but did NOT get an interview at this site. I wonder if this site was perhaps too selective in their application process (and maybe even their rankings-- perhaps did not rank all applicants). Perhaps all those students who they DID rank put another site higher (and ended up matching at that site??). That's the only way I can make sense of that amount of unfilled spots. (or.. additional funding after rankings were due??)

From what I understand, they do not offer interviews, just an open house

Anybody find out any info about why K-state had 4 positions open?

I do not know why, but watched the video they have on their site about the internship, and the staff seems sweet

Sites will not interview any more than they have to, but most are also likely to have fewer apps than Phase 1 as the field of candidates is smaller, and they are motivated as you are to complete the process. If you have selected likely fits and are far enough along re dissertation, your odds could be better than Phase 1. It is a crazy and demoralizing process. But Phase II can yield great matches.

Some yes...some no. Attached here is last year's Phase 2 rejection email from Cincinnati VA. Hang in there, everyone.

"Dear Internship Applicant:
Regretfully, I am writing to inform you that our training committee at the Cincinnati VAMC cannot offer you an internship interview this year in Phase II of the APPIC Match. We received 176 applications for our single spot in Phase II, and given the time constraints we can only interview 10 applicants. We understand that this is not welcome news, but we want to give you this information now so that you can have a clearer picture of your options as you proceed with this challenging process.
We really appreciate the interest you have shown in our program. Good luck, and we do genuinely hope that you spend next year in an internship program that fulfills your training needs and interests.

Sincerely,
Brian Zinnbauer, Ph.D.
Chief, Psychology Program
Director, Psychology Training Program”

From what I understand, they do not offer interviews, just an open house
Yeah, but I never buy the 'open house' thing, particularly given that they send you a rejection/vs. invitation to the open house. I went to an "open house" at one VA, and they had the most individual interviews of any site I attended.

I'm sorry for the rejection. I think the applications per site is skewed due to the majority of sites being non APA accredited. They probably receive barely any apps while APA sites are receiving a crazy amount. It seem like last year it was averaging around 200 apps for an APA site with a single position from looking at the thread from last year.

Edit: just realized the rejection posted was from last year. So I just made the point that person made haha

I have the same theory. Someone in my cohort who matched to an even more competitive VA was told by American Lake that they would not be ranking her. She is beyond an all-star and the fit was great, so they must have been very particular about who they ranked this year. Oh well - it works in our favor now!

okay guys, i know this sounds crazy, but can we still send out more apps? like, right now? i sent as many as i could before 3am and then felt i needed at least a few hrs of sleep b4 work this morn. Im at 355est and i cked the portal and none of the sites seem to have actually shut off..... in phase one there was a red msg saying closed on sites that shut off their receipt.......... don't wanna work for nothing but there were a few sites i really wanted to get to but ran out of time........ ????

I would just try to apply and see what happens. I do know the list is no longer available on appic.

I'm sorry for the rejection. I think the applications per site is skewed due to the majority of sites being non APA accredited. They probably receive barely any apps while APA sites are receiving a crazy amount. It seem like last year it was averaging around 200 apps for an APA site with a single position from looking at the thread from last year.

Edit: just realized the rejection posted was from last year. So I just made the point that person made haha

where is the stat for APA sites? I just see that the average overall was 66. Please point it out. My brain if fried :/

I have the same theory. Someone in my cohort who matched to an even more competitive VA was told by American Lake that they would not be ranking her. She is beyond an all-star and the fit was great, so they must have been very particular about who they ranked this year. Oh well - it works in our favor now!

I wonder how many applications they received though. Two of my cohort members were ranked by them, but ranked other sites higher. I am going to ask them about their impressions since I will not be able to visit there at this point.

Some yes...some no. Attached here is last year's Phase 2 rejection email from Cincinnati VA. Hang in there, everyone.

"Dear Internship Applicant:
Regretfully, I am writing to inform you that our training committee at the Cincinnati VAMC cannot offer you an internship interview this year in Phase II of the APPIC Match. We received 176 applications for our single spot in Phase II, and given the time constraints we can only interview 10 applicants. We understand that this is not welcome news, but we want to give you this information now so that you can have a clearer picture of your options as you proceed with this challenging process.
We really appreciate the interest you have shown in our program. Good luck, and we do genuinely hope that you spend next year in an internship program that fulfills your training needs and interests.

Sincerely,
Brian Zinnbauer, Ph.D.
Chief, Psychology Program
Director, Psychology Training Program”

I'm glad you didn't post this before I started working on my applications. I would have lost all motivation.

Beatrice State Developmental Center sent out invites for a phone interview the 3rd and 4th. Looks like based on time slots they are interviewing 5 other people.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm glad you didn't post this before I started working on my applications. I would have lost all motivation.
Especially because this was one of my top sites in Phase I, and when I just browsed the post, I burst into tears thinking that this meant they didn't rank me at all. Then I realized it was from last year. *sigh* I'm starting to think that this whole process brings out our neuroses!

I wonder how many applications they received though. Two of my cohort members were ranked by them, but ranked other sites higher. I am going to ask them about their impressions since I will not be able to visit there at this point.
Just confirms my theory!!! :)

where is the stat for APA sites? I just see that the average overall was 66. Please point it out. My brain if fried :/
In Phase II they don't break it into APA vs non APA. If you look at last years thread, all the rejections from APA phase II sites had 175ish to over 200

Interview invite for New York Presbertyrian/Weill Cornell Med Center! Wasn't good enough for an interview the first time around, but now that they are desperate they jumped on my app right away. Go figure!

Reactions: 6 users
son of *!*$&%. i got one app prepped and ready and sent and then ..........i got a msg that no cover letter was attached. by the time i fixed it they had shut the system down. grrrrr!!!!

son of *!*$&%. i got one app prepped and ready and sent and then ..........i got a msg that no cover letter was attached. by the time i fixed it they had shut the system down. grrrrr!!!!

that is so something that would happen to me.

St. Louis Psychology Internship Consortium just sent a mass email requesting a case conceptualization and assessment report.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone here applying to unaccredited internships in Phase II? I am applying to 2 accredited sites and 2 unaccredited, but I'm not sure if this is a waste of my time as I still have significant concerns regarding taking an unaccredited internship.

However, I'm also not sure if I have it in me to wait for another year and go through this process again. It's demoralizing!

I honestly wouldn't apply for unaccredited sites. It's a significant career limiter and one you can't ever "re-do" or "make up."

Interview invite for New York Presbertyrian/Weill Cornell Med Center! Wasn't good enough for an interview the first time around, but now that they are desperate they jumped on my app right away. Go figure!

Personalized or mass email? I have a hard time believing they reviewed all applications today, but I'm wondering if they are sending invites as they review them, or perhaps they just weeded out most people based on their search criteria without reading the cover letters and essays.

Personalized or mass email? I have a hard time believing they reviewed all applications today, but I'm wondering if they are sending invites as they review them, or perhaps they just weeded out most people based on their search criteria without reading the cover letters and essays.

Yeah, I had the same thought that not all sites will review all the apps they receive.
It's unfortunate to think that our cover letters might not be read!

10. What if I receive a lot of applications in Phase II?

This is certainly possible, as there will be a lot of unmatched applicants. In Phase II of the 2013 Match, sites received an average of 66 applications (SD = 58, median = 44). Keep in mind that the AAPI Online service provides a number of convenient search and download options that can allow you to select applicants based on certain criteria. You may wish to use the six-day waiting period (between Phase I Match Day on February 21 and the re-opening of the selection portal on February 27) to re-familiarize yourself with the options available.

Did anyone have friends who participated in Phase II last year?
Wondering the average length of time it takes most programs to contact applicants about interviews.

Not all sites will review all the apps they receive.

This is certainly possible, as there will be a lot of unmatched applicants. In Phase II of the 2013 Match, sites received an average of 66 applications (SD = 58, median = 44). Keep in mind that the AAPI Online service provides a number of convenient search and download options that can allow you to select applicants based on certain criteria. You may wish to use the six-day waiting period (between Phase I Match Day on February 21 and the re-opening of the selection portal on February 27) to re-familiarize yourself with the options available.

Well duh, obviously, but a boy can hope. Yeesh. So many buzz kills.

I didn't hear anything yet either, although I also applied in phase I and was not offered an interview either. I feel like it is a good match, so wonder if they are screening people out using some arbitrary criteria.

Yeah, I had the same thought that not all sites will review all the apps they receive.
It's unfortunate to think that our cover letters might not be read!

Yeah. All we can do is hope that sites make time to weed through the stack. I hope I didn't lose all that sleep writing cover letters for nothing.

My site is planning on interviewing way more than 10 applicants. I think this will vary site-to-site. Don't make it seem bleaker than it is!!

Reactions: 2 users

Sites aren't necessarily desperate in Phase II. They know that there are many applicants who are of a high caliber! Maybe they saw it as a previous oversight on their part!