2013- 2014 Georgetown GEMS !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you to those who are sharing the awesome news about their invites! Good luck! For those who haven't heard, I'm keeping the hope alive for us all :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I believe those that live farther away will be called first. I live in Maryland,so I am still keeping the hope alive and trying to be patient :)....Dont forget you guys if God wants you to be in this program then it will happen. It does not matter if you are the first one to be called or the last :)

thanx for the encouragement!! you are absolutely right :) It is all in Gods hands, and if He wants it for us..it will happen :)

I submitted my application somewhere during Spring Break, 3/4-9/2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. Just wanted to say I got the call today. Don't give up hope! I submitted my app 3/21. PM me if you want more specifics. Good luck and I hope I'll see you guys on the 6th!

Uber excited for all of you

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone know whether to select Georgetown University or Georgetown University School of Medicine for the FAFSA?

Just got my rejection letter. Good luck to the rest of you!

Just got my rejection letter. Good luck to the rest of you!

I'm sorry to hear that. Never give-up! I'm still waiting to hear back, how did you receive your rejection letter.

Letter in the mail. Hopefully you'll here something soon

Seems like all the invites have been notified by now. good luck to all who have interviews, im really rooting for you guys. Everyone here has been very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody willing to share a hotel room? I'm a female interviewing May 6th.

Last edited:
Looks like the following will be interviewing on May 6th

1. Vachata
  2. Kimposibl
  3. Greendl45
  4. Woody 1989
  5. Thn1401
  6. NN88 ???? (maybe)

:highfive:

Would any of you be interested in meeting Sunday afternoon?

Also, did anyone else have the capability of opening their "GEMS interview form"? Mine wont open:cry:

did anyone get their invite this week? as in today or yesterday?

May 6th Interview

1. Vachata
  2. Kimposibl
  3. Greendl45
  4. Woody 1989
  5. Thn1401
  6. NN88 (maybe)
  7. Nerdswagger

May 6th Interview

1. Vachata
  2. Kimposibl
  3. Greendl45
  4. Woody 1989
  5. Thn1401
  6. NN88 (maybe)
  7. Nerdswagger

Congrats to those who've received interview invites. A few words of advice for the interview day.

1. Don't be late
2. Don't be late
3. Don't stress over the science exam administered during the interview day. It's used to gauge your knowledge level and has no bearing towards admissions.
4. Be enthusiastic and be ready for a long grueling day so get a good night's sleep the night before.
5. Be yourself, have fun and ask lots of questions. We're here to help :)
6. Don't schedule your flight home too close to the end of interview day (5:30-6:00) because that's rush hour and getting out of Georgetown is going to take awhile

See you all soon

Congrats to those who've received interview invites. A few words of advice for the interview day.

1. Don't be late
2. Don't be late
3. Don't stress over the science exam administered during the interview day. It's used to gauge your knowledge level and has no bearing towards admissions.
4. Be enthusiastic and be ready for a long grueling day so get a good night's sleep the night before.
5. Be yourself, have fun and ask lots of questions. We're here to help :)
6. Don't schedule your flight home too close to the end of interview day (5:30-6:00) because that's rush hour and getting out of Georgetown is going to take awhile

See you all soon

Thanks for the advice, Nicho!

First, congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! Just a quick question for those who are accepted, how many times did you all apply to medical school? More specifically, did you apply for one application cycle or were you a reapplicant? Thanks!!:)

So I still haven't heard anything back from GEMS. I haven't gotten a rejection letter in the mail and when I log on to the online application, it still says my application is "in review". Is it possible they are still reviewing apps?

First, congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! Just a quick question for those who are accepted, how many times did you all apply to medical school? More specifically, did you apply for one application cycle or were you a reapplicant? Thanks!!:)
This is cycle 3 for me...with roughly the same scores...If you really want to be an MD the key is persistence and know that admissions is a crap shoot. we have no idea what they are looking for and although very important mcat/gpa is not the end all be all...stay positive and never give up and you will get there.....

So I still haven't heard anything back from GEMS. I haven't gotten a rejection letter in the mail and when I log on to the online application, it still says my application is "in review". Is it possible they are still reviewing apps?

They updated the website 04/16 that says they've contacted everyone for an interview =/ So I'm sure what's going on.

may 6th interviewers....if you havent booked a room yet. was able to get a 4star hotel on hotwire 2 miles from campus....le meridien hotel for 74$...check it out

may 6th interviewers....if you havent booked a room yet. was able to get a 4star hotel on hotwire 2 miles from campus....le meridien hotel for 74$...check it out

What?!? Just checked Hotwire and it says $305!!! Can you send a direct link?

Okay, I went back and looked at the "hidden hotel" prices. Are you referring to the Arlington Falls location that says hotel is 0.7-6 miles away?

Last edited:
What?!? Just checked Hotwire and it says $305!!! Can you send a direct link?

Okay, I went back and looked at the "hidden hotel" prices. Are you referring to the Arlington Falls location that says hotel is 0.7-6 miles away?
yup, thats it..

Please add me to the list for May 6th interviews. Also, has anyone heard anything about the group exercise?

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow!!

Also, update to May 6 interview invites list:
1.Vachata
2,Kimposibl
3.Greendl45
4.Woody 1989
5.Thn1401
6.NN88 (maybe)
7.Nerdswagger
8.ByAnyMeans15

Looks like everyone on this thread is May 6th interview. I was really hoping to get a response from today's interview session.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how far/how long will it take for me to get from the metro station to campus? Is there a shuttle?

thanks!

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how far/how long will it take for me to get from the metro station to campus? Is there a shuttle?

thanks!

Foreclosure: I am by no means a pro in the D.C. transit system. I traveled there in November and stayed with a friend at Georgetown Med School. With his help and a few mishaps, I noted the best way to get to the school (within my range of expertise). I figured I would inform you to the best of my knowledge, at least until someone with more experience can answer.

1. From Union Station to Georgetown Medical School will at LEAST take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. (again, this is only from personal experience of around ~7 days of working in D.C. and traveling back and forth)

2. There is a circulator bus that runs form Union Station to Georgetown, however, this bus does not start running until 7am. Not allowing sufficient time to arrive at GMS on time.

3. There is a bus (D6 towards Sibley Hospital) at Massachusetts Avenue and Columbus Circle (~5 min walk from Union Station) that drops you off right in front of the medical school. I can't recall what time the bus starts operating (amazingly I looked in my computer bag this morning and somehow came across the circulator map, hence why I know it starts at 7am).

4. From Union Station you can take the subway to Dupont Circle (a lot faster than the bus), once you get off at Dupont, walk to NW 20th Street and NW O street (literally maybe 1-2 blocks) and take the same bus (D6 towards Sibley Hospital) and it's 15 stops to Georgetown Medical School.

-- These are from my recorded notes in my phone from November. For some reason when I was in the city (probably from constantly using the Map app), my battery drained quickly so I tried to use my phone efficiently.

Hope this helps!

Foreclosure: I am by no means a pro in the D.C. transit system. I traveled there in November and stayed with a friend at Georgetown Med School. With his help and a few mishaps, I noted the best way to get to the school (within my range of expertise). I figured I would inform you to the best of my knowledge, at least until someone with more experience can answer.

1. From Union Station to Georgetown Medical School will at LEAST take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. (again, this is only from personal experience of around ~7 days of working in D.C. and traveling back and forth)

2. There is a circulator bus that runs form Union Station to Georgetown, however, this bus does not start running until 7am. Not allowing sufficient time to arrive at GMS on time.

3. There is a bus (D6 towards Sibley Hospital) at Massachusetts Avenue and Columbus Circle (~5 min walk from Union Station) that drops you off right in front of the medical school. I can't recall what time the bus starts operating (amazingly I looked in my computer bag this morning and somehow came across the circulator map, hence why I know it starts at 7am).

4. From Union Station you can take the subway to Dupont Circle (a lot faster than the bus), once you get off at Dupont, walk to NW 20th Street and NW O street (literally maybe 1-2 blocks) and take the same bus (D6 towards Sibley Hospital) and it's 15 stops to Georgetown Medical School.

-- These are from my recorded notes in my phone from November. For some reason when I was in the city (probably from constantly using the Map app), my battery drained quickly so I tried to use my phone efficiently.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks very much for the information! I was wondering if you would also know the time it takes to arrive on campus by cab from union station on a weekday,7am (taking into account traffic/rush hour)?

Much thanks!

Who wants to meet up on Sunday?

I figured we could all meet up for dinner around 6-6:30 around Georgetown. I'll send out an email to the people interviewing, but if you have any ideas send them this way!

Wow, so no one has heard anything yet. Looking at past threads, around this time people starting hearing acceptances via phone. But she did say to wait until after the 20th. Kinda anxious and nervous

Hey, all! I actually heard about this site for the first time during my interview day from a fellow candidate and decided to check it out. :D

Last edited:
I am in need of housing as well from July and on..any suggestions, roomate info??

I'm looking as well. If anyone finds something and needs a roommate, please let me know. I will also post here if I find something and need a roommate.

Is it just me or have other applicants for the incoming gems class not received a decision yet post-interview? My online application still says "in review."

Just got my rejection letter today. Good luck to those still waiting for calls!

Does anyone who is familiar with the dc area know whether traveling by train or car from the petworth neighborhood is too far. Prices are cheap there and places I found seem nice. I'm willing to have a longer commute and a nicer place vs a great location but living in a dungeon.

Hey all, congrats on getting in! I'm a former GEMS, and my roommate and I are moving out next month from our apartment, which is a 10 min walk to campus. Here's some info about it:

2BR/2BA, ~1100 sq. ft. apartment in Foxhall, off MacArthur blvd. Rent is $2,200 total for the month, and includes all utilities (water, gas, and electric)- the only extra thing we added was cable internet which was ~$50/month each. It's a 10 minute walk to Georgetown School of Medicine, and has a laundry room in the building. My roommate and I, both former GEMS, lived in here since GEMS started and loved it, we've had many people over that love it, and the only reason we are moving is to get closer in proximity to other hospitals and metro lines. There are tons of med students, SMP's, and current GEMS students that live in the area. It's a very safe neighborhood. The lease for a new move begins June 23rd. If you'd like more information, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

Last edited:
I was also accepted to GEMS!

I've been looking at available housing and the better (nicer and more affordable) options I am finding are 2 bedroom apartments. If anyone is interested in a roommate let me know through PM.

Hi,

I want to apply to the GEMs post-bach program at Georgetown. Can someone please tell me, when completing an application to the GEMS program at Georgetown and something or document is missing in the application process after you submit (if it’s not complete after submission), Do they email you back to let you know what’s missing in the application before the deadline or do you have to call them to ask if the application is complete?

Thanks!

Hi,

I want to apply to the GEMs post-bach program at Georgetown. Can someone please tell me, when completing an application to the GEMS program at Georgetown and something or document is missing in the application process after you submit (if it’s not complete after submission), Do they email you back to let you know what’s missing in the application before the deadline or do you have to call them to ask if the application is complete?

Thanks!
Instead of asking us you could just take the time to make sure you turn in everything they ask for. If you cannot handle that, then the program probably isn't something that you are cut out for.

Hi,

Thanks!

I believe the only thing I had to mail in were the LORs using Interfolio. So it's not that difficult to keep track of.