2013- 2014 Georgetown GEMS !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJ89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)
I am interested in applying to the GEMS program this year, and would love to get feedback from previous or current GEMS students!
I am an URM and super passionate about caring for the underserved. I also come from an extremely impoverished background. My extracurricular's include everything from volunteering in inner city hospitals, to non profit organizations that work one-on-one with underserved families. I also have a host of other short term volunteering experiences working with the underserved. I participated in research, as well as clinical work from notable institutions.
In terms of my stats:
3.4 cum GPA,
3.1 Sci GPA,
18 MCAT

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this thread! Will be applying in Feb as well! Best of luck to you and everyone else we will eventually be seeing come Feb/March.

Def, good luck to you as well!!

Members don't see this ad :)
::taps on mic::
is this thing on?!
Will also be throwing my hat into the ring.
Good Luck to everyone applying!
:hardy:

Last edited:
I'm also applying. I was in DC in November and went and looked around, loved the area. Good luck to everyone!

To Current/Former GEMS

Has anyone applied to the program after graduating college >4 years prior or who are career changers?
Are there any specifications (or exclusions) given for LORs, as to who may write them?
Is there any advice for those applying who may not have readily available LORs from a committee or science professors?

I know applications will not be online for another week, but I would like to give myself time, in case I have to contact old professors.
Thank you for the assistance.

To Current/Former GEMS

Has anyone applied to the program after graduating college >4 years prior or who are career changers?
Are there any specifications (or exclusions) given for LORs, as to who may write them?
Is there any advice for those applying who may not have readily available LORs from a committee or science professors?

I know applications will not be online for another week, but I would like to give myself time, in case I have to contact old professors.
Thank you for the assistance.

Has anyone applied to the program after graduating college >4 years prior or who are career changers? Yes
Are there any specifications (or exclusions) given for LORs, as to who may write them? Generally just the same people that you request to write letters to medical schools
Is there any advice for those applying who may not have readily available LORs from a committee or science professors? Get someone who know your story and can help you highlight the strong points of your personal statement, to solidify your message to the adcom. Dont ask a relative, a neighbor (unless they have MD after their initials), etc as those letters will just get disregarded.

Anyone know if they accept Interfolio LOR?

Def, good luck to you as well!!

Has anyone applied to the program after graduating college >4 years prior or who are career changers? Yes
Are there any specifications (or exclusions) given for LORs, as to who may write them? Generally just the same people that you request to write letters to medical schools
Is there any advice for those applying who may not have readily available LORs from a committee or science professors? Get someone who know your story and can help you highlight the strong points of your personal statement, to solidify your message to the adcom. Dont ask a relative, a neighbor (unless they have MD after their initials), etc as those letters will just get disregarded.

Thanks for the info LovemyRam. I had previously targeted schools who encouraged non-traditional students, where non-committee/science LORs were acceptable.
Following a reply from the GEMS ad com, I have some outreach to do. :idea:

Hi everyone! *waves right hand*

I'll be applying as well!!!

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! *waves right hand*

I'll be applying as well!!!

Good luck everyone :)

I'm also applying. I was in DC in November and went and looked around, loved the area. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to you as well.
Application is up and running. Seems reasonable and fair. Or maybe because I read so many threads lol

Yeah, questions seem fair and thorough. Also, steep app fee @_@

Good luck! I know we all want to submit and be complete early, but always draft your responses and sit on them for a few days/ ask for fresh eyes!

Good thing we have a long weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'm also applying this cycle. Seems a little strange that there's not that much activity on this thread yet seeing as last year and the year before's cycle has quite a few more posts by this time. Oh well, I'm sure the traffic will pick up soon. Trying to finish the app by next weekend, but I heard that they don't even look at applications until after the deadline ends. Better safe than sorry though.

I also don't think there are as many applicants posting on the thread. There are only like 10 of us posting? It'd be cool to get more people to say hi!

I bet there's hundreds of people reading this thread hehe.

Please explain in detail...

Characters left in your response -123
:eek::cool:

:laugh: guess one sentence is enough. :laugh:

Just coming through to say hello... I guess everyone is busy working on that application. Good Luck to you all! :)

I'm not sure which two recommendations to choose. Here's what I have:
  • Organic Chem Prof
  • Gen Chem Prof
  • Biology Prof
  • High Ranking Military Officer
  • Classmate I studied with
  • Legendary College Football Coach
  • Non-Confidential Research MD / PhD

You'd have to choose any 2 professors, so your organic chem and gen chem, or bio prof.

I'm not sure which two recommendations to choose. Here's what I have:
  • Organic Chem Prof
  • Gen Chem Prof
  • Biology Prof
  • High Ranking Military Officer
  • Classmate I studied with
  • Legendary College Football Coach
  • Non-Confidential Research MD / PhD
I think you have to use science professors, correct? At least 2 science professors...am I mistaken?

hey everyone,

New to SDN, getting ready to send in my application soon. But I was also told that it is not rolling so maybe it makes sense to have more people look it over until mid march. Any thoughts?
anyone submit their app yet?

Last edited:
hey everyone,

New to SDN, getting ready to send in my application soon. But I was also told that it is not rolling so maybe it makes sense to have more people look it over until mid march. Any thoughts?

I confirmed that it's not rolling via email. They said everyone who submits their application is given equal consideration.

QUESTION: Does question # 24 refer to a univeristy you owe money to or the lender( Ex. AES, NELNET )?

QUESTION: Does question # 24 refer to a univeristy you owe money to or the lender( Ex. AES, NELNET )?

its in reference to being in bad standing with a university. A normal loan payment plan does not count as owing money to a school or being delinquent or defaulted.

hey everyone,

Ok good to know :) I haven't submitted yet but I'm about 3/4 way through in terms of the essays. I don't have very much to say about how I will financially support myself so I feel bad only having 2 sentences?

Ok good to know :) I haven't submitted yet but I'm about 3/4 way through in terms of the essays. I don't have very much to say about how I will financially support myself so I feel bad only having 2 sentences?

Felt the same way at first, but then realized there isn't much to be said about it. This is the plan and that just about it. When it comes to finances, what else can be said, even if it is to borrow from a rich uncle lol :shrug:

Yeah, I feel bad as well. My parents will not be helping, but that is a major factor in URM, right? So are they expecting for family contribution or will they be understanding most of us are poor (recently graduated) students who come from the lower socioeconomic status and will need to take out loans? Almost all med students pay their way through med school with loans. Like previously stated, I was in the area in November, so I talked to the Director of the program (or so I think?). She stated almost all students have a problem paying for the program and she said in November I should start pulling my credit report then. I guess to make sure I'm in good enough standing to take out a personal loan, but I don't see how that is possible coming straight from undergrad.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Are you putting family contributions or ?

This...I am applying to GEMS this cycle and currently working on my app as we speak. Couple questions....

1) Letter of recommendation wise. Do we have to resend our LOR's we sent in to AMCAS? Does the GEMS committee have access to those letters or do we have to send them the same letters that AMCAS received?

2) For those who have been through the GEMS program. Do you have to reapply and do a whole new AMCAS if you are just planning on Georgetown being your school of choice?

3) Oh I almost forgot this question, what if you a good ole southern boy like me and took the ACT instead of the SAT? How do you fill that section out?

Thanks in advance.

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Ive messaged some people who are in the program now and they seem to all have only written one or two sentences for the questions regarding how you will finance GEMS and Georgetown SOM.

Yeah, I feel bad as well. My parents will not be helping, but that is a major factor in URM, right? So are they expecting for family contribution or will they be understanding most of us are poor (recently graduated) students who come from the lower socioeconomic status and will need to take out loans? Almost all med students pay their way through med school with loans. Like previously stated, I was in the area in November, so I talked to the Director of the program (or so I think?). She stated almost all students have a problem paying for the program and she said in November I should start pulling my credit report then. I guess to make sure I'm in good enough standing to take out a personal loan, but I don't see how that is possible coming straight from undergrad.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Are you putting family contributions or ?

Thanks for your insight! Yeah, I can see how funding a post-bacc will be problematic for recent grads, especially if they never had a credit card.

This...I am applying to GEMS this cycle and currently working on my app as we speak. Couple questions....

1) Letter of recommendation wise. Do we have to resend our LOR's we sent in to AMCAS? Does the GEMS committee have access to those letters or do we have to send them the same letters that AMCAS received?

2) For those who have been through the GEMS program. Do you have to reapply and do a whole new AMCAS if you are just planning on Georgetown being your school of choice?

3) Oh I almost forgot this question, what if you a good ole southern boy like me and took the ACT instead of the SAT? How do you fill that section out?

Thanks in advance.

Good luck to everyone.

1) Do you have Interfolio? You will have to have Interfolio email GEMS your LOR's, or have your Letter Writer ssend it in themselves.

Sorry, I can't really answer questions #2 and #3. You'll probably have to email the program concerning #3.

Thanks for your insight! Yeah, I can see how funding a post-bacc will be problematic for recent grads, especially if they never had a credit card.

1) Do you have Interfolio? You will have to have Interfolio email GEMS your LOR's, or have your Letter Writer ssend it in themselves.

Sorry, I can't really answer questions #2 and #3. You'll probably have to email the program concerning #3.

Thank you!

Ive messaged some people who are in the program now and they seem to all have only written one or two sentences for the questions regarding how you will finance GEMS and Georgetown SOM.

Thanks for the input. I wonder how students financed last year? Did they say if they were able to secure student loans or private loans (via cosigner)?

Hey Vachata,

Most of the gems students (looking at previous threads) financed through a combination of personal savings, federal loans (filling out the fafsa) and private loans (mainly for living expenses). Most of the people are a bit older with established credit, but if you don't have credit see if you can become an authorized user on a parent's credit card. That way you'll build credit quickly as long as they make their payments on time. I'm sure you can get a loan through a co-signer though.

hey everyone,

I submitted. I edited my "Disadvantaged" essay at least 20 times. I'm glad it's done. Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit apps before our LOR are in? Also, is there a fee waiver available? Thanks! and good luck guys!:)

its ok, they just want to make sure you have some type of support in case you don't qualify for financial aid and need some type of back-up. Dont worry too much about this, just have a justified financial source.

1) Letter of recommendation wise. Do we have to resend our LOR's we sent in to AMCAS? Does the GEMS committee have access to those letters or do we have to send them the same letters that AMCAS received? No idea, the application has changed significantly, since I applied.

2) For those who have been through the GEMS program. Do you have to reapply and do a whole new AMCAS if you are just planning on Georgetown being your school of choice? yes, you will reapply next year while at Georgetown. Don't worry about this right now, all your questions will be explained on interview day in detail.

Thanks in advance..

Good luck to everyone.
l

Agreed

Hey Vachata,

Most of the gems students (looking at previous threads) financed through a combination of personal savings, federal loans (filling out the fafsa) and private loans (mainly for living expenses). Most of the people are a bit older with established credit, but if you don't have credit see if you can become an authorized user on a parent's credit card. That way you'll build credit quickly as long as they make their payments on time. I'm sure you can get a loan through a co-signer though.

Find a cosigner. You don't have to pay it back until you graduate which won't be until 2018.I was approved with co-signer instantly. They also tell you if you get declined right away.

Last edited:
Re: Short answers on financial section

I think I wrote three sentences out of pure guilt of what my English professors would say at the sight of a short paragraph.

Does anyone know how to remove letters of recommendation after they are received?
Thanks

Hi everyone!
Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit apps before our LOR are in? Also, is there a fee waiver available? Thanks! and good luck guys!:)

I submitted by LOR's before my application (which I have not yet submitted). Not sure about the fee waiver though, sorry.

has anyone received an 'application complete' email yet?

Can anyone follow up with this?

I have not but I noticed Interfolio did not actually send out my rec's. That's definitely something everyone should double check.

gemsapplicant, I just used interfolio to email by letters and I got a confirmation email within a couple hours from interfolio. I'll let anyone know if I receive a confirmation email from the program or anything.

:luck::luck:

wouldnt you be able to see on ur gems application when letters were received?