2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like business is strictly business for this company. Personally, I would suggest you treat it the same way. Tell them you're staying, keep your job secure. If life changes and you get off a waitlist then you let them know of the change. They don't seem to have a problem throwing you out if they find a better candidate, likewise if you get a better offer (medical school) you can chuck them as well. Most waitlist movement occurs earlier on (i.e. you likely won't be that one person who gets in the day before orientation), so you'll still be able to give notice and leave professionally. People generally overestimate how crucial they are to a company. I'm not saying you're not valuable, but if they needed to make budget cuts they would cut you and life would go on and if you leave in two weeks they'll hire someone and move on.
Agree. The only reason to be considerate of your employer's position is either A) it's a small business that would have difficulty replacing you, B) you have some significant personal attachment to the company or another employee, or C) it would be a breach of contract. Otherwise, you have to look out for your best interests.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So i get my last Post-interview decision tomorrow. I'm hoping for an acceptance!! But I think I may be content with a waitlist too. I spoke to the Dean of Admissions at a certain school, and she knows the admissions board at the school I'm hearing from tomorrow, and said she would call them on my behalf after I receive my post-interview decision. That has to be worth something right guys? Right????

Reactions: 7 users
Welp. My boss asked me if I were coming back to my position 100% and when I told him I was still waiting/wasn't 100% sure, he told me he was going to post my job until I could commit to the position. Basically, they would post it and if someone awesome came along and if I were still not 100% sure by then, they'd make a job offer and I'd have to leave. Sucks for the candidate going through this if I end up not getting into medical school since they'd go through the process for nothing, BUT wow, way to put me in a hard place to make a decision ASAP. Hopefully I'll know in the next month before HR wraps up hiring...

Seriously - why is this medical school process sooooooo long? I've been doing this since June 2013 and I still don't know what I'm doing next year. I swear I'm aging like 20 years every day I'm waiting...
My PI - "Of course you will get in somewhere this year but if not, you can stay another year and I will pay you"

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like business is strictly business for this company. Personally, I would suggest you treat it the same way. Tell them you're staying, keep your job secure. If life changes and you get off a waitlist then you let them know of the change. They don't seem to have a problem throwing you out if they find a better candidate, likewise if you get a better offer (medical school) you can chuck them as well. Most waitlist movement occurs earlier on (i.e. you likely won't be that one person who gets in the day before orientation), so you'll still be able to give notice and leave professionally. People generally overestimate how crucial they are to a company. I'm not saying you're not valuable, but if they needed to make budget cuts they would cut you and life would go on and if you leave in two weeks they'll hire someone and move on.
I agree. Just commit to the job. Once you get your acceptance, ****'em

Reactions: 4 users

I have heard of annoyed PI calling med school and have the acceptance rescinded, granted the situation was a bit different, someone committed two years and applied and got in after only the first cycle. So who knows...

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard of annoyed PI calling med school and have the acceptance rescinded, granted the situation was a bit different, someone committed two years and applied and got in after only the first cycle. So who knows...
Really? I feel like that's highly unlikely... and seriously unprofessional for a PI to sink someone's future because they're annoyed about having to get new research staff.

Haha I know, I would do this if this were ANY other job, but I've worked in this office for the past three years...and I don't want to burn any bridges in the industry :-/ Plus, I secretly (?) hate my job and the idea of staying for another year and working 70+ hours a week for little gratitude sucks/makes me more depressed. So a part of me is relieved that if I end up not getting in, I don't have to be in my current office ("hey, they didn't wait for me") and could potentially be at another/better location....it might make me happier. Ya know?

Also - does anyone waiting for a post-interview decision feel like the more they string you a long, the higher your hopes get? I'm like, oh man, I've held on to a potential acceptance all this time, it would SUCK to get a wait list notification like a day before May 15th or something. I can imagine how crappy that's going to feel...

Sitting on 3 waitlists for what has seemed like an eternity. Every day I feel a different set of emotions. Today I'm definitely feeling pumped/optimistic - Maybe it was after reading this (below), but I wanted to spread it to all those worrying/anxious in the Panic Thread. Happy Friday y'all!

motivation.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
I recently finished my last interview. I feel numb thinking the cycle has officially ended, and all I can do now is wait and send updates to the school that had deferred me. Having heard from all the schools in the past two weeks, I am super nervous each time I check my email knowing that my only reasonable hope of getting in lies in this pending decision. A part of me wants it to be May 15 so the waiting will alas be over, but a part of me finds comfort in not knowing because at this moment, I can still habor hope, even if it's the most unrealistic kind.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in there! I've been rooting for yah since you created the underdawgs thread!

Thanks man, I really appreciate that! It's kinda odd that even though I don't know any of you guys in real life, I still feel like I kinda know a lot of you. This thread and SDN in general has been really helpful over this application cycle. Thank you all!

Reactions: 3 users
To follow the earlier discussion about jobs, my boss just told me today that she can no longer guarantee me work over the summer. They've delayed hiring another instructor for ages because I wasn't sure if would be able to commit, but can't wait any longer because the summer classes will be starting soon. :( I will still have work in the Fall if I don't get in, just not for summer, but the wait is starting to feel really really harrowing. I'm taking this as a sign that the universe knows I don't need a summer job because med school will accept me.... :/

Members don't see this ad :)
To follow the earlier discussion about jobs, my boss just told me today that she can no longer guarantee me work over the summer. They've delayed hiring another instructor for ages because I wasn't sure if would be able to commit, but can't wait any longer because the summer classes will be starting soon. :( I will still have work in the Fall if I don't get in, just not for summer, but the wait is starting to feel really really harrowing. I'm taking this as a sign that the universe knows I don't need a summer job because med school will accept me.... :/

Love the optimism! Im sorry you are going through its. I honestly dont understand why med school application cycle is so long when all other graduate schools can do it in a few months at the most.

One more month until May 15th!

Reactions: 4 users
Wow reading this thread was honestly so therapeutic. It's so nice to know that other people are going through the same. I hate being in limbo right now and all of my volunteer/work supervisors have been asking me whether I'll be committing for the next year. Fortunately, they've been very understanding. I hate putting my life on hold just waiting for some finality that may be a rejection in the end, though. 4 unranked waitlists...

Reactions: 1 users
I should know in the next 1-2 days if I'm going to medical school @ my top choice! I can hardly breath.

Welp just got my first post interview rejection. I am now at
17 Schools
3 II
2 Waitlists
1 Post interview rejection

Even though this last interview was very late in the cycle it still stings to get the rejection after going through this process for so long. Hopefully I get off a waitlist, and if not I have a good plan for my gap year which I am excited for. I know one way or another I'll be a doctor someday. Good luck to everyone else in similar positions and don't lose hope!

18 schools
1 II
Rejected

Officially a reapplicant

18 schools
3 II
2 waitlists
1 defer likely to become waitlist.

More waiting and praying!

Welp. About time to go ahead and start joining the 2014-2015 application threads. You all will be in my prayers and good luck!! I bid you fine folks farewell

Anyone have any idea when the best time is to send updates? I'm on 4 waitlists and I drafted my update letter today. Trying to decide when would be the most strategic time to send them...now or closer to May?

Anyone have any idea when the best time is to send updates? I'm on 4 waitlists and I drafted my update letter today. Trying to decide when would be the most strategic time to send them...now or closer to May?

Ask the schools when they rank their waitlist then send it a week before or so around then. Some of the schools I'm waitlisted at already have a firm waitlist that is ranked and cannot change.

Sigh I want to send some updates so schools know I exist except I've been doing the same things since my last update in October

Is a 3rd author manuscript that was just submitted worth an update? I'm also expecting 2 or 3 first author papers to be submitted by the time I matriculate.

What if I mention these things with a letter of interest?

Last edited:
Thought I'd chime in too:

10 Secondaries
1 II
9 Pre-II Rejections
1 Waitlist

Just got rejected from my top choice, and only remaining silence, today! :arghh: But on the bright side, I like the school I have the waitlist at. Hopefully, I'll hear good news in a few weeks! :xf:

Sigh I want to send some updates so schools know I exist except I've been doing the same things since my last update in October

Is a 3rd author manuscript that was just submitted worth an update? I'm also expecting 2 or 3 first author papers to be submitted by the time I matriculate.

I'd send in a LOI if I were you! Perhaps you can find a new physician to shadow, and add that too. That way, you're getting experience in a new field of medicine and you have something new to update the schools about. Being persuasive and showing continuing interest is definitely a good thing! But try not to sound too sappy in the LOI. (I think I might have accidentally done that! Oh well.) :laugh:

LOL I'm still getting pre-interview rejections. At this point, I'm like "ha, I rejected you (mentally) before you rejected me!!"

Reactions: 8 users
Ask the schools when they rank their waitlist then send it a week before or so around then. Some of the schools I'm waitlisted at already have a firm waitlist that is ranked and cannot change.

Thanks, that's a good point to note. I know at least 3 of 4 of them have "unranked" waitlists though... so I guess all in all it's better sooner than later?

Updating:
15 schools
12 secondaries
5 II
4 WL (the latest of which came 7 months post-interview) and 1 decision pending.

#May15

Updating:
15 schools
12 secondaries
5 II
4 WL (the latest of which came 7 months post-interview) and 1 decision pending.

#May15
Just got deferred @ my top choice.

Oh, May 15! How I long for thee...

Blergh, 1 post-decision pending, and still nothing, even though everyone on the thread apparently heard back...

I thought this week would bring closure, but nope...

#thewaitinggamecontinues
#theoddsareneverinmyfavor

3rd and last application cycle

16 applications including abroad
16 secondaries
4 Interviews
2 rejections post interview
2 waitlists - at my top two choices so I guess that is good I guess
0 acceptances

15 secondaries
6 interviews
4 rejections
1 waitlist
1post interview hold

3 secondaries (financial problems)
1 pre interview rejection
1 ii = post interview rejection
1 waitlist ( DO school, no interview).... All my hope is in getting off of this waiting list!!!
But...
Planning to reapply more broadly and earlier. Also getting interview feedback.

EDIT: Update- Accepted!!! It still can happen, good luck guys!!

Last edited:
3rd and last application cycle

16 applications including abroad
16 secondaries
4 Interviews
2 rejections post interview
2 waitlists - at my top two choices so I guess that is good I guess
0 acceptances

I'm routing for you I hope you get into your top choices!!! Good luck!!!

I'm routing for you I hope you get into your top choices!!! Good luck!!!

Thanks! Top choice waitlisted me last year as well (most painful thing ever) and second choice interviewed me then rejected post-interview, both last year during my second application cycle.

Year before that, I only interviewed at my dead last school who rejected post-interview.

30 schools
2 II
1 WL
...now waiting, hoping, back up planning

For those on multiple waitlists, if you know the chances for each of those waitlists you can calculate your odds of acceptance to at least 1 school

For example, if you are on waitlist 1 that has 20% chance of acceptance and waitlist 2 that has a 35% chance:

1 - [(0.8 probabilty not accepted to waitlist 1) * (0.65 probability not accepted to waitlist 2)] = 48% chance of getting into 1 school

The issue comes from knowing your chances (reliably or otherwise) on each of the individual lists...
That's only if it's a random process. I'm pretty sure it's not...

True, but from the perspective of an individual applicant it might as well be random if you are unaware of your position on a ranked waitlist
The process has to actually be random for your formula to work. Still, it is normal to try to make sense out of the unknown.

The publication is a good update. Submitted won't count. LOI, unless welcomed, are routinely ignored.

For those on multiple waitlists, if you know the chances for each of those waitlists you can calculate your odds of acceptance to at least 1 school

For example, if you are on waitlist 1 that has 20% chance of acceptance and waitlist 2 that has a 35% chance:

1 - [(0.8 probabilty not accepted to waitlist 1) * (0.65 probability not accepted to waitlist 2)] = 48% chance of getting into 1 school

The issue comes from knowing your chances (reliably or otherwise) on each of the individual lists...

Med school adcoms are immune to your statistics. Based on my interviews, there was a 96+% chance of acceptance. n=1, but I'm sure that I'm not alone...

3 interviews: 1 rejection, 2 wait lists :(

All my committee letter stuff is due in a few days. I'm accepted to a DO school but I'm gonna request a new committee letter in case I decide to give MD one more go. I just didn't feel that same excitement about the DO schools as I did with the MD ones I interviewed at, and it's tough being so close to what I really want.

20 MD secondaries completed
5 interviews
3 waitlists
1 post-interview hold
1 decision pending (almost certain this will be a waitlist)