2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Similar case, would also appreciate some insight.

Schools won't look at the application if you don't have an MCAT score. But since you already have an MCAT score, you will be able to get your application submitted and verified at the same time as everyone else's. Even if you didn't have an MCAT score and took the test in late June (and got your results in late July) you would still be able to get verified, and would be getting secondaries with fairly early applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to update this:

Received another WL today. They are not saying anything about the ranking.

So
5 II
2 WL
3 Decision Pending
0 Acceptances :(

Another update:

Received WL at top choice...

SO
5 II
3 WL
2 Decision Pending
0 Acceptances :(

17 Schools
3 II
2 Waitlists
1 Decision Pending (Although very late interview)

I have already planned out a gap year and have begun studying for the MCAT again. Don't give up hope until things are definitely over, although its not a bad idea to plan for the worse. This waiting game is excruciatingly painful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
17 Schools
3 II
2 Waitlists
1 Decision Pending (Although very late interview)

I have already planned out a gap year and have begun studying for the MCAT again. Don't give up hope until things are definitely over, although its not a bad idea to plan for the worse. This waiting game is excruciatingly painful.

Dude... I'm literally in the same situation as you. Crazy!

3 II, 2 waitlist, 1 pending (late March interview)

It's like being kicked in the teeth.
Another acceptance last week, yet another school far away from where my spouse will be attending a phd program, and living with my kids.

I just want to live with my family :-\
All my schools are a long plane ride away

It's like being kicked in the teeth.
Another acceptance last week, yet another school far away from where my spouse will be attending a phd program, and living with my kids.

I just want to live with my family :-\
All my schools are a long plane ride away

FWIW - I only applied close to home so that I could stay near my wife and son. Despite a pretty solid application, I ended up not getting in anywhere. Now we're much worse off than we would have been if I had applied broadly from the get-go.

You made the right choice by applying to a wide range of schools. Hopefully you will land an acceptance closer to home, but if not I'm sure you will find a way to make things work.

Last edited:
Haha I must be the only idiot in the world that has a 34 MCAT >3.6 GPA and cant get into medical school TWICE!

lolzz

Reactions: 3 users
Haha I must be the only idiot in the world that has a 34 MCAT >3.6 GPA and cant get into medical school TWICE!

lolzz

no, you can put me in that group too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's crazy to think that its been 10 MONTHS since this ruthless process started!!

This does not need to be so insanely long. None of the other graduate schools have to wait this long.

Reactions: 5 users
Recently spoke to my anesthesiologist cousin who said the hardest part of medical school was getting in. Hang in there guys!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling I'm gonna be sitting on 5 waitlists by the end of this.

So far I've gotten 2 waitlists, 1 post-interview hold, 1 decision pending, and 1 final interview next week.

28 schools
7 II
2 rejections
2 waitlists
1 hold
2 pending

I have heard from more schools in the last week than I have in the last 6 months. LOL

05/15 cannot come fast enough for me either!!!

10 schools
7 rejections
2 holds
1 waiting to hear from-> most likely rejection
0 Hope.
10000000+ tears
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FMLFMFLMFLMFLMFLMLFMLFMLMFLMFLMFLFM!
Why did you only apply to 10 schools out of curiosity?

Why did you only apply to 10 schools out of curiosity?
Only ten schools? The average number of schools most ppl apply to is seven schools per app cycle.

How many schools did most of you apply to OR what do you think is a reasonable number?

Only ten schools? The average number of schools most ppl apply to is seven schools per app cycle.

How many schools did most of you apply to OR what do you think is a reasonable number?
Where did you find that average? According to AAMC, applicants apply to an average of 14 schools (https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/332944/wheretoapply.html). I think even that number is expected to rise over the next couple of years due to the increase in applicant pool. I applied to 30 schools, but I think 20 is a more reasonable number.

If you're from california and you're applying to 7 schools you're doing it wrong. Maybe if you're a ivy-level applicant in a state like Kansas or North Dakota

Where did you find that average? According to AAMC, applicants apply to an average of 14 schools (https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/332944/wheretoapply.html). I think even that number is expected to rise over the next couple of years due to the increase in applicant pool. I applied to 30 schools, but I think 20 is a more reasonable number.

My numbers must be completely out of date, but I still think 14 schools is SO many. Who seriously considers attending such a late number of schools? I know the mantra on sdn is to "apply early & broadly" but I just don't see how that amount of time and money is justified.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to apply to 30 schools?

My numbers must be completely out of date, but I still think 14 schools is SO many. Who seriously considers attending such a late number of schools? I know the mantra on sdn is to "apply early & broadly" but I just don't see how that amount of time and money is justified.

I personally applied to 15 but most of my classmates applied to 30+. Their application costs were in the thousands. I believe one person said they paid over 8,000.

I'm still trying to figure out how many to apply to this cycle. I'm a Tx resident so that's 9 of the schools I'm applying to. They are all really pretty easy to apply too bc of TMSDS.

I just don't know how many out of state MD and DO schools to apply to :/ I look up alot of the stats and it's just all so overwhelming

When you hear stories of upper class men who were relatively competitive (30-32 MCAT, 3.65 GPA) not get into a US medical school, you begin to scratch your head and you leave nothing to chance. As a CA resident, in-state schools are a crap shoot. Thus applying OOS is a necessity. Add 7 or so CA schools to the list. Then add a couple dream schools because what the hell... that's your dream.... throw in a couple reaches because you know you stand a chance and want to attend those schools..... then throw in safeties because you know the whole app cycle is a crap shoot. The result? An application to 20-30 schools and $$$$ outta the bank.

When you hear stories of upper class men who were relatively competitive (30-32 MCAT, 3.65 GPA) not get into a US medical school, you begin to scratch your head and you leave nothing to chance. As a CA resident, in-state schools are a crap shoot. Thus applying OOS is a necessity. Add 7 or so CA schools to the list. Then add a couple dream schools because what the hell... that's your dream.... throw in a couple reaches because you know you stand a chance and want to attend those schools..... then throw in safeties because you know the whole app cycle is a crap shoot. The result? An application to 20-30 schools and $$$$ outta the bank.

I am one of those unfortunate upper classmen:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/38-mcat-3-6-gpa-what-went-wrong.1060019/#post-15062892

My biggest regret is not applying more broadly. Applying only to the Western states was a huge mistake and a recipe for failure. CA is pretty rough. I think it would be wise to apply to as many as 15 schools outside of the state in addition to the half dozen or so UCs.

I seriously, seriously have no idea of what to make of the whole application process. I lowered my instate schools (CA applicant) compared to my last app and applied to a crap ton of OOS schools cause I figured I had no chance of staying in state. 26 schools this time around and lots of monies spent. I would greatly greatly consider applying to FAP even if you might not think you qualify.

I seriously, seriously have no idea of what to make of the whole application process. I lowered my instate schools (CA applicant) compared to my last app and applied to a crap ton of OOS schools cause I figured I had no chance of staying in state. 26 schools this time around and lots of monies spent. I would greatly greatly consider applying to FAP even if you might not think you qualify.

I thought that qualifying for FAP is pretty easy if your family income is 50k/year or lower. But yeah, FAP is a life saver for the application process.

I thought that qualifying for FAP is pretty easy if your family income is 50k/year or lower. But yeah, FAP is a life saver for the application process.

Yeah and family size too, so if one year there are 5 people in the family size but the next its down to 4 because your parent can no longer claim one of your siblings on their taxes then the limit changes. I learned that the hard way this year, but luckily I was able to get it changed after some pestering too AAMC.

Hang in there guys! I just got my first acceptance yesterday from a school I love after countless months of very painful waiting...It just takes one! Good luck to all of those waiting. Keep hope alive because it can still happen :)

Reactions: 12 users
Hang in there guys! I just got my first acceptance yesterday from a school I love after countless months of very painful waiting...It just takes one! Good luck to all of those waiting. Keep hope alive because it can still happen :)

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know and for the motivation.

One of my wait-list (4 WL; 1 pending) just informed me that i am in the top 1/3. Definitely good news but after this grueling cycle, I just cant seem to let myself be happy/excited. Just hurts too much when it doesn't work out....

Reactions: 6 users

Nice was this off a waitlist?

Accepted off of a wait list this morning! First acceptance! It is possible people! Hang in there! :thumbup:

15 secondaries
6 interviews
4 wait lists
1 acceptance!

Wait lists have started moving guys!!! Good luck :luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Accepted off of a wait list this morning! First acceptance! It is possible people! Hang in there! :thumbup:

15 schools
6 interviews
4 wait lists
1 acceptance!

Congratulations - I've been rooting for you!

15 schools
6 interviews
4 wait lists
1 acceptance!

Loving it! Take it and run haha!

As for me, working with 2 waitlists right now. Here is to a strong finish!

I'm hoping we all get through this cycle together! For those on waitlists it's tough but just hang on for another month (and week)! Then those POSs with 10 acceptances have to relinquish all but one and the waitlists will get moving! For those without any interviews keep that chin up and follow through with your back-up plan and possible re-app this year.

Adversity builds character and you will be stronger for it. Keep fighting the good fight and remember as Winston Churchill said,

“Never, ever ever ever ever give up."

Reactions: 8 users
Welp. My boss asked me if I were coming back to my position 100% and when I told him I was still waiting/wasn't 100% sure, he told me he was going to post my job until I could commit to the position. Basically, they would post it and if someone awesome came along and if I were still not 100% sure by then, they'd make a job offer and I'd have to leave. Sucks for the candidate going through this if I end up not getting into medical school since they'd go through the process for nothing, BUT wow, way to put me in a hard place to make a decision ASAP. Hopefully I'll know in the next month before HR wraps up hiring...

Seriously - why is this medical school process sooooooo long? I've been doing this since June 2013 and I still don't know what I'm doing next year. I swear I'm aging like 20 years every day I'm waiting...

Welp. My boss asked me if I were coming back to my position 100% and when I told him I was still waiting/wasn't 100% sure, he told me he was going to post my job until I could commit to the position. Basically, they would post it and if someone awesome came along and if I were still not 100% sure by then, they'd make a job offer and I'd have to leave. Sucks for the candidate going through this if I end up not getting into medical school since they'd go through the process for nothing, BUT wow, way to put me in a hard place to make a decision ASAP. Hopefully I'll know in the next month before HR wraps up hiring...

Seriously - why is this medical school process sooooooo long? I've been doing this since June 2013 and I still don't know what I'm doing next year. I swear I'm aging like 20 years every day I'm waiting...
Geeze... makes me so thankful to have a supportive boss. :confused:

I'm with you, I hadn't heard from any of the schools I applied to so I applied for a full time job, went through the whole process of applying for them (about 1 and a half months), did an out of state on-site interview for the position and then one morning was called and offered an interview. I was so excited about the interview. Then I got a phone call that same day (only 2 hours later) offering me the job. I would've started April 7th. Instead, I chose to defer hoping to hear good news from the school I applied to. Now I'm waitlisted. Luckily I have a solid summer job, but I've been out of school for over 4 months now and it's so dissatisfying to be doing nothing but nannying and tutoring. It feels like I'm back in high school, but I also don't want to commit to a full-time position anywhere and waste the company's time by just quitting a few months later.

It seems like business is strictly business for this company. Personally, I would suggest you treat it the same way. Tell them you're staying, keep your job secure. If life changes and you get off a waitlist then you let them know of the change. They don't seem to have a problem throwing you out if they find a better candidate, likewise if you get a better offer (medical school) you can chuck them as well. Most waitlist movement occurs earlier on (i.e. you likely won't be that one person who gets in the day before orientation), so you'll still be able to give notice and leave professionally. People generally overestimate how crucial they are to a company. I'm not saying you're not valuable, but if they needed to make budget cuts they would cut you and life would go on and if you leave in two weeks they'll hire someone and move on.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm with you, I hadn't heard from any of the schools I applied to so I applied for a full time job, went through the whole process of applying for them (about 1 and a half months), did an out of state on-site interview for the position and then one morning was called and offered an interview. I was so excited about the interview. Then I got a phone call that same day (only 2 hours later) offering me the job. I would've started April 7th. Instead, I chose to defer hoping to hear good news from the school I applied to. Now I'm waitlisted. Luckily I have a solid summer job, but I've been out of school for over 4 months now and it's so dissatisfying to be doing nothing but nannying and tutoring. It feels like I'm back in high school, but I also don't want to commit to a full-time position anywhere and waste the company's time by just quitting a few months later.

Agreed it's extremely frustrating. I have a two-year job offer lined up for my gap year and I am doing everything I can to stall until I know for sure I won't get in off a waitlist. It would be so much better if this process was a bit more concentrated and there wasn't so much up in the air. The end goal is being a doctor so I have to hold out until then. I'm also re-studying for the MCAT like its a full time job but its hard to stay motivated knowing there's a chance I never have to take the test again if I get in.