2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Smh this guy
You realize they are still people right?

How can you mix their stats with the general population? Once again apples to oranges.

Yea I agree. A disclaimer would be effective.

This is a good idea

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Right now, I am sitting on a 3.5/3.3 (actually slightly lower than 3.3) and 26 MCAT. If I can upgrade my MCAT by 2 points on the 22nd, then I can hopefully graduate from the underdog group?

Right now, I am sitting on a 3.5/3.3 (actually slightly lower than 3.3) and 26 MCAT. If I can upgrade my MCAT by 2 points on the 22nd, then I can hopefully graduate from the underdog group?

You're already an average applicant as is. An upgrade of 2 points however would benefit you greatly if you wish to apply to LECOM-B, NSU, CCOM, DMU, or Western.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're already an average applicant as is. An upgrade of 2 points however would benefit you greatly if you wish to apply to LECOM-B, NSU, CCOM, DMU, or Western.

I thought LECOM is not very competitive?

I thought LECOM is not very competitive?
It's fairly competitive, it's a mid ranking school. The advantage that it has is simply in the fact that the program is large and accepts many applicants.

It's fairly competitive, it's a mid ranking school. The advantage that it has is simply in the fact that the program is large and accepts many applicants.

Would a 28 make me significantly more competitive?

Would a 28 make me significantly more competitive?

A 28 probably won't exactly pump your app significantly, but it'll be an improvement. However if you get a 30 then you'll probably be hitting it home.

A 28 probably won't exactly pump your app significantly, but it'll be an improvement. However if you get a 30 then you'll probably be hitting it home.

I see. Well, I am scoring 31-33 on AAMC 3-7 so far, so a 30+ is not unreasonable.

I see. Well, I am scoring 31-33 on AAMC 3-7 so far, so a 30+ is not unreasonable.

That's pretty good, keep it up and you should be hitting it home.

Btw, got any tips on how to improve on Physics?

Hello all,

I am going to be applying this coming summer and have been reading this thread to mentally prepare myself for what the application process is like and to get a feel for what types of numbers each of these schools are looking for.

The question I have is that would the majority of you guys that have been accepted or gotten interviews consider yourselves an "atypical" candidate, meaning have you taken a couple years off, done a post-bac, have publications, or anything else that a typical candidate applying straight out of undergrad would most likely not have or not have gone through?

I ask this because I would consider myself pretty typical in terms of having a 3.3c, 3.7s, >400 hours of clinical experience as a Scribe, >300 hours volunteering, >100 hours of shadowing, >100 hours of research, etc etc and have not taken the MCAT yet, but am nervous as what my chances are. I dont know if I am being overly critical of myself or if I am indeed right? Another reason I am critical of my stats is because a lot of people just put up their numbers which can be below average at times, and don't really explain their story as to why they potentially may have gotten in.

For example: 3.0c, 3.0s, 24 mcat, Interviewed:--- Accepted:---

Supplying this information provides very little information and can be misleading if the person got in because lets say for example, they served in the military for X years before applying which could possibly transform the way the admissions officer would think of that applicant.

So just curious as to whether a lot of you underdogs are simply just underdogs applying out of undergrad or if a lot of you are underdogs that have a significant backstory that set you apart?

Thanks guys!

Hello all,

I am going to be applying this coming summer and have been reading this thread to mentally prepare myself for what the application process is like and to get a feel for what types of numbers each of these schools are looking for.

The question I have is that would the majority of you guys that have been accepted or gotten interviews consider yourselves an "atypical" candidate, meaning have you taken a couple years off, done a post-bac, have publications, or anything else that a typical candidate applying straight out of undergrad would most likely not have or not have gone through?

I ask this because I would consider myself pretty typical in terms of having a 3.3c, 3.7s, >400 hours of clinical experience as a Scribe, >300 hours volunteering, >100 hours of shadowing, >100 hours of research, etc etc and have not taken the MCAT yet, but am nervous as what my chances are. I dont know if I am being overly critical of myself or if I am indeed right? Another reason I am critical of my stats is because a lot of people just put up their numbers which can be below average at times, and don't really explain their story as to why they potentially may have gotten in.

For example: 3.0c, 3.0s, 24 mcat, Interviewed:--- Accepted:---

Supplying this information provides very little information and can be misleading if the person got in because lets say for example, they served in the military for X years before applying which could possibly transform the way the admissions officer would think of that applicant.

So just curious as to whether a lot of you underdogs are simply just underdogs applying out of undergrad or if a lot of you are underdogs that have a significant backstory that set you apart?

Thanks guys!

Getting just one acceptance is not difficult at all with your GPA as long as you don't fall asleep during your MCAT (<23). Go have fun.

Otherwise, what schools specifically would you like to get into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay well that takes some pressure off the table. So a 24> on the MCAT still gives you a good shot as long as you apply broadly then and have the right GPA?

As for what schools that I plan on applying to, I really don't know. I have a list of 15 or so DO schools that range from the higher end ones like KCUMB all the way to the newer ones like Marion and ACOM. One thing I have learned from this thread is to apply as broadly as possible and do not limit yourself to just the higher end schools. I still need to do a final run down on what some of these schools require in terms of pre-reqs like I know the Touros require you to have taken 6 semesters of a psychology or sociology which takes them out of contention.

Are there certain schools with the gpa and ec stats I have that I should definitely apply to? Or does it really depend on the MCAT?

Oh okay well that takes some pressure off the table. So a 24> on the MCAT still gives you a good shot as long as you apply broadly then and have the right GPA?

As for what schools that I plan on applying to, I really don't know. I have a list of 15 or so DO schools that range from the higher end ones like KCUMB all the way to the newer ones like Marion and ACOM. One thing I have learned from this thread is to apply as broadly as possible and do not limit yourself to just the higher end schools. I still need to do a final run down on what some of these schools require in terms of pre-reqs like I know the Touros require you to have taken 6 semesters of a psychology or sociology which takes them out of contention.

Are there certain schools with the gpa and ec stats I have that I should definitely apply to? Or does it really depend on the MCAT?
as long as you do not bomb the MCAT you should be able to get into one of those 15 schools

It really depends on your MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview to Touro NV today thankfully

Reactions: 1 users

Six semester hours is not so bad. It can be any behavioral science.

Just got an ii to Touro-NY...was definitely not expecting any more news this cycle

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an ii to Touro-NY...was definitely not expecting any more news this cycle
congrats but I would not get my hopes up. They seem to interview then waitlist a lot of people with lower numbers. Supposedly a couple years ago, their waitlist got too large or something, and out of nowhere their adcom decided to reject everyone with under 28 MCAT on it...

Thanks!

Congrats!

Ha, don't worry, I'm not. I figured it was for a low waitlist spot, but then I remembered they also have middletown to fill so there was a possibility it may be higher on the waitlist than I thought...but a waitlist spot nonetheless. I keep reading that the dean only likes MCATs with 10+ BS scores, if thats the case, I think I'm safe...

Regardless of the situation, I'm on spring break and was looking for an excuse to go home for a few days anyway.

congrats but I would not get my hopes up. They seem to interview then waitlist a lot of people with lower numbers. Supposedly a couple years ago, their waitlist got too large or something, and out of nowhere their adcom decided to reject everyone with under 28 MCAT on it...

True Underdog - Tips and advice appreciated

-B.S. Biology
-Played D1 college football
-I have been doing research for over a year in a genetics/neuroscience lab(20-30 hours/week) with 2 published papers thus far. 1 as a primary author. The area of research is addiction genetics, specifically cocaine. Also we are doing human DNA research in response to alcohol abuse. Up until I would leave for school I would have a job continuing doing this full time with another paper or 2 in the sights.
-3.02 cGPA
-3.00 sGPA
-MCAT scheduled for end of June.
-I have a pretty significant amount of volunteer hours through football and my own personal contributions.
-I also did a semester of research in a Human Cadaver lab for anatomy in which I completely dissected my own cadaver and compared tendon/ligament attachment position points between cadavers. Nothing published. I also ran a cadaver camp to teach dissection techniques over 2 weekends to high school anatomy teachers.
-I was a teaching assistant for Human Physiology lecture and lab and Human Anatomy for a year. (graded exams,quizzes,homework, and taught in an interactive learning environment. (SCALE-UP))
-I am currently setting up shadow hours to follow a family practice physician and have 2 different DO shadowing spots when I go home on two separate occasions.
-Other than that I have no clinical experience, but I do have a job and a Human Nutrition Research Center in which we do human diet studies and deal with overnight participants in the studies and check most of them in. (basic stuff : 10 hours a week for a 1.5 years).
- Have good LOR, one from the president of the University who was previously dean of 2 different University Medical Schools.

These are the basics of my application and I apologize for the likely snooze-fest if most didn't completely by-pass reading altogether.

QUESTIONS:

What would I need on my MCAT to have a shot/be competitive?

Does the Human Nutrition Center count as any degree of clinical experience?

Will the time shadowing be enough to be considered?

Is a LOR from an established faculty member (i.e. president and former medschool dean) "worth-a-squirt" or should I get someone who knows me slightly better with a lesser title?

Do athletics make a significant/minor difference on application strength.

QUESTIONS:

Is a LOR from an established faculty member (i.e. president and former medschool dean) "worth-a-squirt" or should I get someone who knows me slightly better with a lesser title?

1) You really need to score in the high 20's for a decent shot
2) Sounds like you were doing clinical testing, but you should begin shadowing or assisting in a practice/hospital. For your own interest, you need to see the insides of those places.
3) No, see #2.
4) You should have a few LORs. Include the one you have and work on more.
5) Minor.

I believe I may be capable of getting higher 20's. I am beginning shadowing next week through the next few months and when I go home in the summer I will shadow a different DO. I will be doing this around 6 hours a week, is that enough or should I ask for more hours?

2) Sounds like you were doing clinical testing, but you should begin shadowing or assisting in a practice/hospital. For your own interest, you need to see the insides of those places.
3) No, see #2.
5) Minor.

3) No, see #2.
5) Minor.
I agree with all of this. One slight modification: you should really aim to score 30+ on the MCAT to make up for your GPA -- you do have a lot of time to study, so that shouldn't be too hard if you're dedicated. However, a 27-29 could definitely get you in somewhere (if that's all you want).

Is the GPA as calculated by AACOMAS (i.e., re-takes factored in and math not included in sGPA)?

Last edited:
True Underdog - Tips and advice appreciated

-B.S. Biology
-Played D1 college football
-I have been doing research for over a year in a genetics/neuroscience lab(20-30 hours/week) with 2 published papers thus far. 1 as a primary author. The area of research is addiction genetics, specifically cocaine. Also we are doing human DNA research in response to alcohol abuse. Up until I would leave for school I would have a job continuing doing this full time with another paper or 2 in the sights.
-3.02 cGPA
-3.00 sGPA
-MCAT scheduled for end of June.
-I have a pretty significant amount of volunteer hours through football and my own personal contributions.
-I also did a semester of research in a Human Cadaver lab for anatomy in which I completely dissected my own cadaver and compared tendon/ligament attachment position points between cadavers. Nothing published. I also ran a cadaver camp to teach dissection techniques over 2 weekends to high school anatomy teachers.
-I was a teaching assistant for Human Physiology lecture and lab and Human Anatomy for a year. (graded exams,quizzes,homework, and taught in an interactive learning environment. (SCALE-UP))
-I am currently setting up shadow hours to follow a family practice physician and have 2 different DO shadowing spots when I go home on two separate occasions.
-Other than that I have no clinical experience, but I do have a job and a Human Nutrition Research Center in which we do human diet studies and deal with overnight participants in the studies and check most of them in. (basic stuff : 10 hours a week for a 1.5 years).
- Have good LOR, one from the president of the University who was previously dean of 2 different University Medical Schools.

These are the basics of my application and I apologize for the likely snooze-fest if most didn't completely by-pass reading altogether.

QUESTIONS:

I think you'll be fine as long as you hit 27+. Ogmora for example has similar GPA's to you with a 27 and received 4 ii's.

27+ seems to be good enough for all the DO schools. But isn't a 3.0 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA a bit low?

27+ seems to be good enough for all the DO schools. But isn't a 3.0 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA a bit low?
Well yes, but that was why he posted in this thread in the first place. I dont believe 3.0 is low enough to be screened out from the get go.

Not even 3.2 -- 3.02 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. It's definitely a bit low, but doable. My numbers were just slightly over this and I got into my first choice (with a good MCAT and better-than-average factors/experiences to compensate).

What sort of numbers did you have? If you dont mind me asking..

Not even 3.2 -- 3.02 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. It's definitely a bit low, but doable. My numbers were just slightly over this and I got into my first choice (with a good MCAT and better-than-average factors/experiences to compensate).

On a side note, I would really like to apply in July, as my MCAT is on July 2. I am not currently a student and work from 6am-3pm every day but my afternoons and evenings are always free to study so I'll be hitting it pretty hard.

With my sGPA at a 3.03 (based on an online calculator posted in a different thread; hoping I did it correctly), a single Entomology class is holding me back. If I retook this and got an A, the sGPA would rise to a 3.24.. (again based on my calculations).

Is it worth retaking in fall and applying very late, or take my chance with earlier application? (class isn'd offered in summer)

On a side note, I would really like to apply in July, as my MCAT is on July 2. I am not currently a student and work from 6am-3pm every day but my afternoons and evenings are always free to study so I'll be hitting it pretty hard.

With my sGPA at a 3.03 (based on an online calculator posted in a different thread; hoping I did it correctly), a single Entomology class is holding me back. If I retook this and got an A, the sGPA would rise to a 3.24.. (again based on my calculations).

Is it worth retaking in fall and applying very late, or take my chance with earlier application? (class isn'd offered in summer)

.21 sGPA is a significant difference. It's something I would consider if your situation were mine.

Applying late is never advised, esp. with a lower gpa of 3.0, 3.2, etc. Trust me; I did it and it held me back, I believe, from consideration from a few schools when I got my MCAT score back in mid Oct.

So no, in the short version.

I believe I may be capable of getting higher 20's. I am beginning shadowing next week through the next few months and when I go home in the summer I will shadow a different DO. I will be doing this around 6 hours a week, is that enough or should I ask for more hours?

That's great. There are alot of big numbers thrown around as far as what is the amount of hours you need, and some of the talk is impossible in real life. Some say 60, some say 250, some say 800 or 1000. It's not necessarily about the hours, the hours only reflect an interest and understanding of your suitability to spend a quarter million and 7-10 years perfecting a skill. Try to get some time in more than one place, if possible. I'm no expert, I can only tell you what worked for me. But having a large background of volunteer work and shadowing in a family practice and the ER gave me a great overview of medicine at work at the hands of a DO in lots of situations. You need to see for yourself that medicine, specifically medicine in X (ER, FP, Rad, etc) field as X (MD, DO, NP, etc) is what you really want to do. Don't do it to check off a box; do it because YOU need to know and love what you are about to get into.

Best of luck to you

I would apply early to schools that don't have GPA cut offs and then apply later to the higher tier ones with updated transcripts.

This will get your application verified earlier and you might even get an acceptance before updating. It will also help spread out your secondaries hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That's a pretty solid idea and I think I will take your advice. Luckily I have some close relationships with a few doctors who would gladly let me trail them when I have the time to so I may just hop around and get medium amounts of shadowing time in several different places. Thanks so much for the advice, I do really appreciate it.

I'm always willing to take more advice haha. Im in town here by myself so it's great to find a type of support system with so many positive people with the same major goal. Plus this is info is all much more helpful than any other source I've found so thanks again.

That's great. There are alot of big numbers thrown around as far as what is the amount of hours you need, and some of the talk is impossible in real life. Some say 60, some say 250, some say 800 or 1000. It's not necessarily about the hours, the hours only reflect an interest and understanding of your suitability to spend a quarter million and 7-10 years perfecting a skill. Try to get some time in more than one place, if possible. I'm no expert, I can only tell you what worked for me. But having a large background of volunteer work and shadowing in a family practice and the ER gave me a great overview of medicine at work at the hands of a DO in lots of situations. You need to see for yourself that medicine, specifically medicine in X (ER, FP, Rad, etc) field as X (MD, DO, NP, etc) is what you really want to do. Don't do it to check off a box; do it because YOU need to know and love what you are about to get into.

Best of luck to you

I'm new here but I know I definitely qualify-
GPA: BCPM-3.03 AO- 3.46 Cum- 3.25
MCAT: 9/12/13- 6PS/8VR/6BS= 20 yup I really did that badly. Inadequate time prepping and I suffer from massive test anxiety (get accommodations but didn't for MCAT) so timing was a major factor for VR and BS, plus I didn't study biology like I should have- I used EK for biology and thought it was totally inadequate.
VR- I basically just clicked answers on the last passage since I had 50 seconds to finish. PS- prob a fairly accurate score considering I had gotten 7-8 towards the end of my studying.
I'm a Nontrad mom at 35 with 3 kids: 14,11,7 and the middle one has major medical issues that resulted in 14 hospitalizations over the past 4yrs. Spouse Ad military 17.5yrs and deployed most of the time so I've raised the kids and gone to school as if I was a single mom.
Science GPA crummy from 17yr old F in a algebra class I took at community college for HS credit (wasn't college level math but Amcas still counts it) same with cum GPA old grades from HS dual credit.
I have extensive clinical experience (12yrs) as a medical assistant/EMT as well as higher level healthcare administrative experience and a veteran. Some volunteering and research but not much due to my sons illness.
Went back to school at 29- worked full time and took gen Ed classes and did well. Tried to do science classes (Chem 1 and 2) while working and got C's so I decided to quit work and pursue school full time plus take care of my son.
At my university- mainly science courses and my GPA is about 3.4-3.5 and graduating in May. Excellent LOR's.
Applied to one MD school because of my crappy MCAT and the dean told me not to expect an interview but to go ahead and apply anyway.
Got an II late in cycle and waiting to hear next week what the outcome is.
Truthfully I don't expect an acceptance but I did decent on my interview and I'm hoping to get an invite to their post bacc program which is 12mo- paid for by stipend and as long as you take 12 credit hours of science classes (Above Freshman level) you matriculate to the next years class.
I am absolutely planning on retaking MCAT though because that program is invite only.
I am URM(by descent but look very Caucasian)/grew up disadvantaged on welfare (mom disabled father out of picture).
Sorry for the extremely long post but I wanted to see if anyone with a 20 has ever gotten accepted in an MD program? And to give hope to those of you who have lower GPA's and MCAT scores that it is possible to attain your dream if you're willing to work hard for it. Things that helped me- age, adversity, clinical experience, and very large upward trend esp in science GPA at a university.
Take care- Corinn

Sorry for the extremely long post but I wanted to see if anyone with a 20 has ever gotten accepted in an MD program?
That post-bacc program sounds like a great option for you. If you do get into that MD program with a 20, be sure and let us know b/c that is a very rare accomplishment. I'm a somewhat older applicant as well with a similar GPA and a nondescript MCAT. I got in though, possessing all those wonderful things you mentioned - clinical experience, adversity, volunteer, EMT, etc. Best of luck to you, please keep us updated.

Ppl just find it easier to bash new schools it seems.
I think people are just curious, and rightfully so. Some are just jerks about it only b/c they think they know... well everything, I guess. For the most part, I think it is speculation and curiousity that drives most of the bashing... when in reality no one knows what's going to happen. A new school is a new school. If a new allopathic or osteopathic school opens, I am sure they will be looked at the same way. The fact that it is a faith based instution should really NOT be that big of a deal, as there are a number of faith based schools (Loma Linda, Creighton, Touro, Loyola, William Carey, Albert Einstein of Yeshiva, Campbell, Georgetown, Saint Louis, New York Medical...). Let the haters hate... I guess it will be that much sweeter when the school does well and quells all the ignorance and answers inquiring (and respectful) minds.
I am attending LUCOM.

The cycle is officially OVER for me today... I got accepted to a M.D. school in Puerto Rico... I also got an ii invite at a DO school, but will cancel because of COA that is so high--almost twice higher than the PR school. I am not Hispanic, but I do speak Spanish with no problem... Thanks to Ibn Alnafis, Hvilledoc, user3 and everyone for all your help... I will accept the MD acceptance and decline the DO ii... I will not reveal the name of the schools (MD/DO) because I don't want to give any clue regarding my identity.

My stats are: 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and 22 MCAT for people who want to know...

Reactions: 13 users
The cycle is officially OVER for me today... I got accepted to a M.D. school in Puerto Rico... I also got an ii invite at a DO school, but will cancel because of COA that is so high--almost twice higher than the PR school. I am not Hispanic, but I do speak Spanish with no problem... Thanks to Ibn Alnafis, Hvilledoc, user3 and everyone for all your help... I will accept the MD acceptance and decline the DO ii... I will not reveal the name of the schools (MD/DO) because I don't want to give any clue regarding my identity.

My stats are: 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and 22 MCAT for people who want to know...
Truly happy for you. If there's anyone who deserves this, it is you!