2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update....
3 iis
2 MD (PR)... Already accepted to 1 MD. Will decline the other MD ii scheduled for next week .
1 DO .......... Was waitlisted (alternate list) post interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a general question about MCAT scores... sorry if its been asked before:

When scores expire do schools still count the retakes negatively? I know they can still see them but do they still matter much to the adcoms after they expire?

Gearing up to reapply and retake the mcat (maybe even retake a course or two from undergrad)! :( ... still on 1 waiting list but my hope is fading fast!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a general question about MCAT scores... sorry if its been asked before:

When scores expire do schools still count the retakes negatively? I know they can still see them but do they still matter much to the adcoms after they expire?

Gearing up to reapply and retake the mcat (maybe even retake a course or two from undergrad)! :( ... still on 1 waiting list but my hope is fading fast!

I took the MCAT more than once and the schools didn't care too much. They were very interested when I explained to them how I narrowed down my trouble issues and fixed them.

Don't worry too much about having to retake as long as you do better and you can explain what you learned from it. A lot of people take the MCAT more than once.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT more than once and the schools didn't care too much. They were very interested when I explained to them how I narrowed down my trouble issues and fixed them.

Don't worry too much about having to retake as long as you do better and you can explain what you learned from it. A lot of people take the MCAT more than once.

I've retaken before 22 to 26, I figured I would try to get 28+ and apply earlier and more broadly in order to help my chances... I'm getting old (I'm 26) so I really have to get in next cycle :( ... I hope taking the mcat again won't be a negative since the 22 will be expired.

I've retaken before 22 to 26, I figured I would try to get 28+ and apply earlier and more broadly in order to help my chances... I'm getting old (I'm 26) so I really have to get in next cycle :( ... I hope taking the mcat again won't be a negative since the 22 will be expired.
Good luck -- I ended up taking the MCAT 3 times before being happy with my score (and no schools ever questioned me having 3 scores). I'm still rooting for you to get in to MSU-COM this current season... if not, hopefully this upcoming year! :)

Trust me, they don't care (at least not the schools I interviewed at).

I don't remember your GPA but 26 isn't a bad score and should have landed you an acceptance this year. Did you apply too top heavy or something?

I do not think you need to retake. Are you URM? If you were good enough to make the waitlist at MSUCOM, the rest of your app must be pretty decent. If you apply to 15+ schools on June 1, I think you could easily nail a few acceptances next year.

A 26 should suffice. Two takes of the MCAT are generally acceptable. I've heard worries happen when you hit 3+. I don't think the 22 will hinder you. Play up how you learned new study strategies and these paid off with 4 points on the MCAT. Anyone can respect that.

As for being counted, most DO schools take either the highest MCAT or the most recent. I think TouroCA is the only one that averages your scores, but I'd suggest contacting schools you are interested in. If I were an ADCOM, I'd ignore an expired score, be it 45 or 15.

Trust me, they don't care (at least not the schools I interviewed at).

I don't remember your GPA but 26 isn't a bad score and should have landed you an acceptance this year. Did you apply too top heavy or something?

I applied last mintue (secondaries out in Nov.) and only sent out 3 secondaries bc I was low on money (MSUCOM, MSUCHM, CCOM) I'm IS in Michigan so I think that's why I got an interview at MSUCHM (MD) but I got rejected post interview, CCOM rejected me pre interview and I'm wait listed at MSUCOM ... so I know I have to apply early and more broadly

Oh forgot gpa: 3.8 grad, 3.16cgpa, 3.1 sgpa I had a low undergrad gpa but there's a story behind why still low is low :(

I do not think you need to retake. Are you URM? If you were good enough to make the waitlist at MSUCOM, the rest of your app must be pretty decent. If you apply to 15+ schools on June 1, I think you could easily nail a few acceptances next year.

Yes I'm URM, African American and I hope you're right!

A 26 should suffice. Two takes of the MCAT are generally acceptable. I've heard worries happen when you hit 3+. I don't think the 22 will hinder you. Play up how you learned new study strategies and these paid off with 4 points on the MCAT. Anyone can respect that.

As for being counted, most DO schools take either the highest MCAT or the most recent. I think TouroCA is the only one that averages your scores, but I'd suggest contacting schools you are interested in. If I were an ADCOM, I'd ignore an expired score, be it 45 or 15.

Thank you I will for sure take your advice! Thanks guys for your replies, super helpful!

Cycle is pretty much over. The thread had a decent run.

I'm still hoping to hear good news at PCOM-GA! They have me on hold I'm hoping after the 30th when deposits are due they will start making decisions. I bet there are other underdogs in the same situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last mintue (secondaries out in Nov.) and only sent out 3 secondaries bc I was low on money (MSUCOM, MSUCHM, CCOM) I'm IS in Michigan so I think that's why I got an interview at MSUCHM (MD) but I got rejected post interview, CCOM rejected me pre interview and I'm wait listed at MSUCOM ... so I know I have to apply early and more broadly

Oh forgot gpa: 3.8 grad, 3.16cgpa, 3.1 sgpa I had a low undergrad gpa but there's a story behind why still low is low :(

Yes I'm URM, African American and I hope you're right!

Thank you I will for sure take your advice! Thanks guys for your replies, super helpful!
I think you also have a shot at MD next year if you apply more broadly

Thanks for curating the thread this year!

No problem. Admittedly, I kinda wish I used the strategy they use in the 2014-2015 for updating people. But it's a learning process I guess.

The thread is long from dead. I want to see the waitlist people getting in until classes start.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you also have a shot at MD next year if you apply more broadly

Idk I feel my mcat has to be at least 3 points higher so we'll see, either way applying more broadly is in the plan!

Guys, thoughts on this: Would it be okay/appropriate to make an "UNDERDAWG SUCCESS LIST" with the UD stats? So people can see, first hand, that UDs can rock it? Like add in the stats, ii, acceptance, and where you're ultimately matriculating? I figure, with the new 2014-2015 UD thread up, us oldies could give them some hope in our success stories. What do you think?

I could make the thread, if you all wanted.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys, thoughts on this: Would it be okay/appropriate to make an "UNDERDAWG SUCCESS LIST" with the UD stats? So people can see, first hand, that UDs can rock it? Like add in the stats, ii, acceptance, and where you're ultimately matriculating? I figure, with the new 2014-2015 UD thread up, us oldies could give them some hope in our success stories. What do you think?

Yes, I love this. Make it inclusive of all cycles, but people should specify what year they were doing. They should also add if they had re-applicant status.

Yah, that would be pretty solid.

2 acceptances so far! it can be done! lecom , wvsom

praying everyday my post interview deferred decision at pcom turns into an acceptance!

paging people on the original list we haven't heard from:

@akumar29
@alakermsu23
@Albein
@CajunMedic
@Cookiesncreamm
@dedicated2be
@Drmo0ose
@DrOne
@DrSFU
@dxu
@gamebl0uses
@GIpremed
@GregoryMD
@Hunterthekidd
@Imrizzle
@jsky
@kmann11
@kp11
@Melomare17
@MIDOHopeful
@Owl1414
@PastNastificate
@piii
@Points
@Ponderer313
@PSimon
@RN26
@rupyness
@scrubsman
@shinytofu
@sillybiogirl38
@verynice

please update us regarding how your application cycle has been (any interviews, acceptances, etc). would also be curious to know where you applied.

Thank you ahead of time to any of you that responds.

Reactions: 1 users
Didnt get in anywhere, no interviews, nothing. Applied to 10 DO schools.. back to the drawing board.

Got into AZCOM, PCOM-GA and CUSOM. Applied to 14 DO schools. Still not sure what I am going to pick.

I have been very frustrated with the lack of response. hopefully this will help

Lol frustrated. Even if all of these people respond it's not a statistic.

But sure it'll be interesting to look at.

Haha bossy but effective; I was planning to update once I was 100% in for this year

Applied to 12 schools, was complete late in ~November for most schools
ii to ATSU-SOMA, Marian
Rejected from Marian
Accepted "pending open seat" to ATSU-SOMA

I think I might, over the summer, take the time to make a giant excel spreadsheet that will have all this information in one place from multiple years... and make it more accessable and more easily searchable in the future. Good idea/bad idea?

I think I might, over the summer, take the time to make a giant excel spreadsheet that will have all this information in one place from multiple years... and make it more accessable and more easily searchable in the future. Good idea/bad idea?

Go for it, the problem is that the information as a whole is not all that useful when the AOA puts out the average rejected/ accepted stats at the end of the year.

Never completed my DO app. However, I did complete AMCAS, applied to 4 schools, got 3 interviews and got accepted at 2 MD schools.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wasn't put on the list but I got one interview and got out on the wait list for that school, WVSOM.

Last edited:
Finished up with a 3.43 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA.MCAT retake was a 24 (10V/6B/8P). Interviewed at ACOM, LMU-DCOM, and WCUCOM. rejected at ACOM, waitlisted at LMU-DCOM and pending ADCOM results on the 2nd of May for WCUCOM.

Okay update

Studying going well, practice exams averaging right around a 30. I am shooting for a 32+. Time will tell.

Okay update

Studying going well, practice exams averaging right around a 30. I am shooting for a 32+. Time will tell.
I don't think that your problem was your 26 MCAT score... That <3.0 GPA was your main problem IMO... You should retake a few classes so you can bring that GPA up.

I don't think that your problem was your 26 MCAT score... That <3.0 GPA was your main problem IMO... You should retake a few classes so you can bring that GPA up.

Based on my latest calculations, it will probably take me two years, including summers, of full time courses to raise my GPA to a competitive range. I am considering all my options right now. I am not averse to that time but I would be a liar if I said Ross and SGU are not in my mind. But I am not sold on those either.

I have actually decided to pursue dentistry, it was on the back of my head for a long time, got experience in it, and found it a way better fit for me personally. Hope everyone else's cycle went well!

Since we're in the spirit of updating, I just took a look at my AACOMAS app and for some reason my GPA was way off from where I thought it was...

2.94/3.13/27 (8/9/10) Interview: ACOM, Nova, Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM Acceptance: ACOM