2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The cycle is officially OVER for me today... I got accepted to a M.D. school in Puerto Rico... I also got an ii invite at a DO school, but will cancel because of COA that is so high--almost twice higher than the PR school. I am not Hispanic, but I do speak Spanish with no problem... Thanks to Ibn Alnafis, Hvilledoc, user3 and everyone for all your help... I will accept the MD acceptance and decline the DO ii... I will not reveal the name of the schools (MD/DO) because I don't want to give any clue regarding my identity.

My stats are: 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and 22 MCAT for people who want to know...
Congrats!! So happy for you! Hopefully I have the same luck. I'm going to interview at sjb this month. Can you pm any advice?? Would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cycle is officially OVER for me today... I got accepted to a M.D. school in Puerto Rico... I also got an ii invite at a DO school, but will cancel because of COA that is so high--almost twice higher than the PR school. I am not Hispanic, but I do speak Spanish with no problem... Thanks to Ibn Alnafis, Hvilledoc, user3 and everyone for all your help... I will accept the MD acceptance and decline the DO ii... I will not reveal the name of the schools (MD/DO) because I don't want to give any clue regarding my identity.

Congrats Temp!

Do you have connections to PR?

That's ok... I knew it was a long shot, but I have amazing ECs ... I guess that what got me over the hump...
Like I've been trying to say to people... Numbers are numbers... what set you apart from everyone else is the extra stuff.
No connections and not Hispanic. That is awesome. Congrats!

URM (in PR)? just kidding... haha! Congrats again.

On a side note, I would really like to apply in July, as my MCAT is on July 2. I am not currently a student and work from 6am-3pm every day but my afternoons and evenings are always free to study so I'll be hitting it pretty hard.

With my sGPA at a 3.03 (based on an online calculator posted in a different thread; hoping I did it correctly), a single Entomology class is holding me back. If I retook this and got an A, the sGPA would rise to a 3.24.. (again based on my calculations).

Is it worth retaking in fall and applying very late, or take my chance with earlier application? (class isn'd offered in summer)

Apply day 1. If you want to wait on sending in secondaries for some schools that flat out reject after secondaries, then that might be a good idea, but really a lot of schools put you on hold if you show pending exams or courses and they don't want to invite you outright. If I were you, I'd apply and retake in the fall, because it could mean a huge GPA increase.

The second your grades get updated on AACOMAS, contact all the schools and make sure they download the updated app. I had to do this for some schools that didn't do it automatically.

Worst case scenario you have a much better GPA for a reapplication June 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats Temp!!!!!... Im so very happy for you my friend. This cycle was long and tough for a lot of us, but I am glad to know you made it in. I have no doubt you will make a fine doc in the near future. :bow:

question for the adcoms, maybe @Goro can chime in.

what happens if you are rejected from a school, and then you send them updated transcripts with a significantly higher GPA? are you then done for the season, or can you be re-reviewed? i assume this is school dependant
Well I'm not an adcom member... but I don't think rejections can/would generally be rescinded. If anything, they would probably suggest you reapply in the fall -- considering that's not all too far off now. :eek:

that makes sense, but what if one were rejected end of summer, and sent in fall transcripts end of december?

Just my two cents, but I'm not sure grades would be enough to overturn a rejection. The school usually puts applicants, on the cusp, on hold for reasons that include the release of updates grades/transcripts.

Rejection means rejection even if it was done by the automatic cutoff. You have to re-apply.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you put the issue to bed in your explanation, it won't be a problem. If you can fully address the IA, what actions were followed, what you learned, and how you won't let something like that happen again then it is fine. I called Western-Lebanon and PNWU to find out why I didn't even receive a secondary for their schools and it was because I didn't explain what I had learned from a misdemeanor alcohol-related charge and an academic probation I received way back in 2004. I addressed them, told them what actions were taken, and how I was put back into good standing but never explained what I learned and how it won't happen again. This led to outright rejection post-primary app and was told that my numbers were fine at submission (~3.3 sgpa and 27 mcat) and were competitive for their schools.
Where in the app did you address this? Did you mention it in the personal statement or was there a separate section that allows you to disclose this type of information and what you learned?

From what I've gathered, an IA can certainly make or break you, but only if YOU let it. Be honest, lay it all out bare and be sincere when talking about how it has affected you. Don't fabricate lessons you've learned, omit details, or try to pass off blame...
Where in the application do you mention the IA and what you've learned? Was this something you talked about in your personal statement?

Where in the app did you address this? Did you mention it in the personal statement or was there a separate section that allows you to disclose this type of information and what you learned?
One of the sections of the app asks separately if you have had any felonies or misdemeanors and then gives you a box to given an explanation. Same with the academic probations or institutional actions. I did not include any of these in my personal statement and probably won't when I re-apply.

question for the adcoms, maybe @Goro can chime in.

what happens if you are rejected from a school, and then you send them updated transcripts with a significantly higher GPA? are you then done for the season, or can you be re-reviewed? i assume this is school dependant

Very few, if any schools will look at your app again after its been rejected, even if there is a significant change. Unless you have connections, I wouldn't bank on this. If you are worried about being autoscreened (<3.0 GPA), then I would apply day 1 to one school you know you won't get autoscreened at and then add the rest when you are above the cutoff. (And that's if you don't just wait until you >3.0 to apply in the first place).

You have to think of it from their perspective. They get thousands of apps. If the computer screens you, it wasn't a mistake. If you suddenly just barely made their cutoffs after an update, is it really worth it to them to go out of their way to reconsider your app when they thousands more with the same/better stats?

Also, when I contacted a couple schools about this last year, they sent me some generic message about how I should do a post-bac/SMP or consider an MCAT retake (forget that I had a score >2 SDs above the DO matriculant mean) and reapply in a later cycle.

Also to be clear, most of the schools I applied to where I made the initial cutoff kept me on pre-interview or pre-secondary hold when I had pending classes, so being auto-rejected wasn't an issue for those schools.

Very few, if any schools will look at your app again after its been rejected, even if there is a significant change. Unless you have connections, I wouldn't bank on this. If you are worried about being autoscreened (<3.0 GPA), then I would apply day 1 to one school you know you won't get autoscreened at and then add the rest when you are above the cutoff. (And that's if you don't just wait until you >3.0 to apply in the first place).

You have to think of it from their perspective. They get thousands of apps. If the computer screens you, it wasn't a mistake. If you suddenly just barely made their cutoffs after an update, is it really worth it to them to go out of their way to reconsider your app when they thousands more with the same/better stats?

Also, when I contacted a couple schools about this last year, they sent me some generic message about how I should do a post-bac/SMP or consider an MCAT retake (forget that I had a score >2 SDs above the DO matriculant mean) and reapply in a later cycle.

Also to be clear, most of the schools I applied to where I made the initial cutoff kept me on pre-interview or pre-secondary hold when I had pending classes, so being auto-rejected wasn't an issue for those schools.

I was denied a secondary originally from LUCOM and a few other schools. I told them I was retaking the mcat for a better score and asked if they would reconsider. Well they did and I ended up with 3 interviews and one acceptance from the schools that originally screened me out. Idk if it's the same though because I hadn't submitted my secondary at that point...plus it was sept/oct.

Wow man that's awesome! I didn't even know you applied this cycle.
A couple of people (Ibn Alnafis, user3, Hvilledoc) advised me to if I had the money. I did apply late though. It was kind of like a hail mary, but I guess it has worked... 2 interviews (1 DO, 1 MD)... 1 MD acceptance... Thanks!

I just finished all my AAMC exams, scoring 31-34 (33-34 on AAMC 9-11).

Hopefully I can hit a 30+ and look forward to speedy DO acceptance.

I was denied a secondary originally from LUCOM and a few other schools. I told them I was retaking the mcat for a better score and asked if they would reconsider. Well they did and I ended up with 3 interviews and one acceptance from the schools that originally screened me out. Idk if it's the same though because I hadn't submitted my secondary at that point...plus it was sept/oct.

Its probably more likely with an MCAT retake than GPA retakes. Places that rejected me based on GPA didn't respond to me..

Is it safe to say that most interview invites are done being sent out?
I have heard about the rare May interview being talked about here. Places like WesternU and other ones that have a last April date for interview are probably done inviting. I think around mid-April I would say it's definitively over this cycle.

If I get a 30+, I most likely wont qualify, right? 3.5+ cGPA, 3.3 sGPA

For crying out loud, there were people this year with that and a 24 who landed 6 interviews. By retaking you're just increasing your chances for certain schools.

I have an interview at WVSOM on April 7! Anyone who has had an interview there, what types of questions should I expect? I have already tried looking for specific forums about the WVSOM interview and all I saw were four questions:
1) Why WVSOM?
2) Why DO?
3) Can you handle living in a rural area?
4) Do you plan to practice in a rural area?

Anyone else have other questions or statements (i.e. Tell me about yourself) that they came across?

I have an interview at WVSOM on April 7! Anyone who has had an interview there, what types of questions should I expect? I have already tried looking for specific forums about the WVSOM interview and all I saw were four questions:
1) Why WVSOM?
2) Why DO?
3) Can you handle living in a rural area?
4) Do you plan to practice in a rural area?

Anyone else have other questions or statements (i.e. Tell me about yourself) that they came across?
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/wvsom/survey/26