2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am an ashamed underdog cGPA 2.6, sGPA 2.8 , MCAT 26 ....very few ECs and a LARGE work history, now considering Caribbean or UAG medical schools. It sucks growing up in South Central Los Angeles being broke and working 2 jobs to survive while attending college with out financial aid. Life's a fight you must keep getting up and push forth.

come join the underdawg 2014-2015 thread!! are you applying this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I'm applying.... but with my low stats, and as my health care academic adviser implied, I don't have a chance to get into a US Medical School.... can you believe she told me to become an RN instead as if I was not smart enough to become a physician... which that statement in itself motivates me more to become a physician, it has increased my "TOMA!" factor. I'll join the other forum

I am an ashamed underdog cGPA 2.6, sGPA 2.8 , MCAT 26 ....very few ECs and a LARGE work history, now considering Caribbean or UAG medical schools. It sucks growing up in South Central Los Angeles being broke and working 2 jobs to survive while attending college with out financial aid. Life's a fight you must keep getting up and push forth.

I'll try to be honest here. You've got an uphill battle before you become competitive for DO school.
You're going to need to retake classes until your gpa hits at least a 3.0 ( pref 3.2). Your Mcat as is may be fine.

My advice, you need to consider whether you can manage jobs and the postbac.i don't recommend the Carib. .

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Why couldn't you get financial aid?

My school only offered loans, which I thought I could work for my education instead of being in debt. It turned out to be harder than what I though and my grades went from a 3.5 to a 2.0 , my grades began to oscillate . When I asked for that loan they had originally offered they told me that due to my unpredictable grades and low GPA I didn't qualified. At this time my dad was layed off and I contributed for half the house hold. I got two jobs, one for school (tuition and books) and the other to help with the mortgage and utilities. I burnt my self out for a bit, showing up to class with little sleep and unprepared (not having time to study), I hit rock bottom. I was on the verge of being kicked out of school I was under academic probation for a quarter. But every cloud has a silver lining, I managed to accidentally shatter my shoulder at one of my jobs which was a gift, I received disability (SSA) for a year which helped me focus and go through an up trend of As and Bs for a year. I went from a 1.8 to a 2.8. I also received my paramedic cert through my disability period which helped me acquire a job where I work 48hrs straight (2 days) in a week in order to have 5 days to study and go to school with better pay. This helped me drop one job and still be able to help to contribute for my family's house and go to school.

Reactions: 1 users
My school only offered loans, which I thought I could work for my education instead of being in debt. It turned out to be harder than what I though and my grades went from a 3.5 to a 2.0 , my grades began to oscillate . When I asked for that loan they had originally offered they told me that due to my unpredictable grades and low GPA I didn't qualified. At this time my dad was layed off and I contributed for half the house hold. I got two jobs, one for school (tuition and books) and the other to help with the mortgage and utilities. I burnt my self out for a bit, showing up to class with little sleep and unprepared (not having time to study), I hit rock bottom. I was on the verge of being kicked out of school I was under academic probation for a quarter. But every cloud has a silver lining, I managed to accidentally shatter my shoulder at one of my jobs which was a gift, I received disability (SSA) for a year which helped me focus and go through an up trend of As and Bs for a year. I went from a 1.8 to a 2.8. I also received my paramedic cert through my disability period which helped me acquire a job where I work 48hrs straight (2 days) in a week in order to have 5 days to study and go to school with better pay. This helped me drop one job and still be able to help to contribute for my family's house and go to school.

Hey you can do it! If you believe in yourself, have faith, and are committed... YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOUR DREAM! I don't know where you are in regards to obtaining your degree but you can look at post bacc programs...some programs have it so that if you complete 20 credits of graduate level courses, they will ignore your undergraduate work. No time to dwell on what's done, look to your future and chase your dream. You have a story of perseverance, struggle, and achievement! You will be fine. Stay positive and keep forging ahead!

Thanks for the encouragement , I'm about to finally finish this quarter, and I've been thinking at post-bac but I'm conflicted with either delay my education for a year , or jump into the first school that accepts me (UAG)... Funny how my parents cross the boarder for a better future and now I'm thinking of reversing their process ...

Thanks for the encouragement , I'm about to finally finish this quarter, and I've been thinking at post-bac but I'm conflicted with either delay my education for a year , or jump into the first school that accepts me (UAG)... Funny how my parents cross the boarder for a better future and now I'm thinking of reversing their process ...
I say do a post bacc...you could still probably apply for a post bacc for this year. Check it out. Some of them guarantee you an interview if you maintain a certain GPA in their program. I personally think if you can find a way to be a US medical student, then do it. Once you become an international student, you will be competing with other international applicants as well as US med grads for residency.

??

I'm curious how this will affect DO cycle. Aren't applicants only required to make a commitment with 1 MD school?

What is to stop someone from holding DO acceptances?
Prob. if someone gets an MD acceptance they prefer and therefore drops their DO acceptance thereby moving the waitlist for that school.

??

I'm curious how this will affect DO cycle. Aren't applicants only required to make a commitment with 1 MD school?

What is to stop someone from holding DO acceptances?

For many DO schools it's the 2 week point from when ppl who got accepted on May 1st had to pay their deposit. For MD it's another major waitlist movement day which subsequently means that many DO students will find out that they have an MD acceptance now and many DO waitlisted students will find themselves either accepted or set to obtain an acceptance whenever their school gets around to sending out emails/calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! My cumulative gap is 2.9 and science gpa is 2.8. I am planning to take the Mcat in October. I will be finishing up my biological science degree for fall 2014 semester. For spring 2015 semester, I will be retaking classes that I did bad in order to raise my gpa. I will be retaking 5 classes, and when I calculated- that should bring my cumulative gpa to 3.3 and science gpa to 3.2. I have been reading all the past posts and I am very motivated by everyone. I hope we all can continue to help each other in the future.

Hello! My cumulative gap is 2.9 and science gpa is 2.8. I am planning to take the Mcat in October. I will be finishing up my biological science degree for fall 2014 semester. For spring 2015 semester, I will be retaking classes that I did bad in order to raise my gpa. I will be retaking 5 classes, and when I calculated- that should bring my cumulative gpa to 3.3 and science gpa to 3.2. I have been reading all the past posts and I am very motivated by everyone. I hope we all can continue to help each other in the future.

post it on 2014-2015 underdawg thread

actually, you are 2015-2016....
so WAMC

Accepted off LMU-DCOM waitlist today. Humbled, blessed, no words to describe this feeling.

Reactions: 14 users
Erm...

Accepted to AZCOM. Speechless. Blessed. Grateful!

edit* I was on the waitlist for an interview, and the waitlist for acceptance

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off LMU-DCOM waitlist today. Humbled, blessed, no words to describe this feeling.
Erm...

Accepted to AZCOM. Speechless. Blessed. Grateful!

edit* I was on the waitlist for an interview, and the waitlist for acceptance

can you please posted your stats, interview date, and decision to be put on the waitlist date?

Congratzz!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you please posted your stats, interview date, and decision to be put on the waitlist date?

Congratzz!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.82 sgpa/3.84 cpa / 22 mcat , interviewed in january.

I was put on for my MCAT. I'm humble for my chance though :)

Reactions: 1 user
3.82 sgpa/3.84 cpa / 22 mcat , interviewed in january.

I was put on for my MCAT. I'm humble for my chance though :)

nah nah you made it in, MCAT is the past, good luck future DO :). By the way, what MCAT should u think one should have to be "not put on the waitlist"? assuming good interview?

nah nah you made it in, MCAT is the past, good luck future DO :). By the way, what MCAT should u think one should have to be "not put on the waitlist"? assuming good interview?

I mean, Midwestern is huge on MCAT. So i'd say 27 to get past the pre-interview hold, and 29 to get past the post-interview hold. I jumped through a lot of hoops, and it definitely wasn't easy. I wasn't even expecting this news.

I mean, Midwestern is huge on MCAT. So i'd say 27 to get past the pre-interview hold, and 29 to get past the post-interview hold. I jumped through a lot of hoops, and it definitely wasn't easy. I wasn't even expecting this news.
What kind of hoops exactly? This just doesn't seem possible.

lol what is ur EC like?....I thought the average of AZCOM is like 28. so they must accept plenty or 27 and 29. So why 27 to get past the pre-interview hold and 29 to get past the post-interview hold?

Thanks and congratulations again!.

lol what is ur EC like?....I thought the average of AZCOM is like 28. so they must accept plenty or 27 and 29. So why 27 to get past the pre-interview hold and 29 to get past the post-interview hold?

Thanks and congratulations again!.
Their average this year was 29-30, I was just giving you a safe number to get past the holds and assuming you did great on your interview =p

EC's include leader of volunteer group at hospital, hospice volunteering, care home volunteering, all around 600 hours, then 200 hours of shadowing 4 docs

Fellow underdawg here. Pulled off the waitlist at Touro Middletown yesterday and my only acceptance of the cycle. Applied to 13, interviewed at 2, waitlisted at 2, accepted at 1 (pulled from waitlist). For stat junkies: 3.05 c, 3.46 s, 27 mcat, non-traditional 28 year old career-changer.

Reactions: 10 users
Fellow underdawg here. Pulled off the waitlist at Touro Middletown yesterday and my only acceptance of the cycle. Applied to 13, interviewed at 2, waitlisted at 2, accepted at 1 (pulled from waitlist). For stat junkies: 3.05 c, 3.46 s, 27 mcat, non-traditional 28 year old career-changer.

congrats!!!

Congrats! Career change successful!

I'm a former 2 time applicant underdawg who is now a second year DO student. PM me if you have any questions.

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that everyone here is awesome :3

Keep your chin up if your still waiting! There is plenty more time before the cycle officially closes!

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that everyone here is awesome :3

Keep your chin up if your still waiting! There is plenty more time before the cycle officially closes!
Well, obviously I am...

Yeezus_Genius1.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Just trying to figure out my schedule and realized that 1 of the 2 classes I wanted to retake is full :( I don't get to add/drop the class online because im a non-matriculated student, so I had to wait til the week before the class started and i just found out its full.

My stats without the 2 classes: c3.11, s3.06
My stats with 1 of the classes: c3.15, s3.18
My stats with both of the classes: c3.19, s3.32

Obviously you guys can see that taking both these classes would be a tremendous advantage (almost doubling my sGPA), so I'm really really bummed out :(

Just trying to figure out my schedule and realized that 1 of the 2 classes I wanted to retake is full :( I don't get to add/drop the class online because im a non-matriculated student, so I had to wait til the week before the class started and i just found out its full.

My stats without the 2 classes: c3.11, s3.06
My stats with 1 of the classes: c3.15, s3.18
My stats with both of the classes: c3.19, s3.32

Obviously you guys can see that taking both these classes would be a tremendous advantage (almost doubling my sGPA), so I'm really really bummed out :(
Try to email the professor and see if that would be a possibility. Another option would be to ask to be added to a waitlist. Some universities drop students if they don't pay the tuition by a certain date. If all else fails, you'll still be good with the one retake.

Try to email the professor and see if that would be a possibility. Another option would be to ask to be added to a waitlist. Some universities drop students if they don't pay the tuition by a certain date. If all else fails, you'll still be good with the one retake.

Thanks so much! I guess I've had bad luck with getting into classes in the past, so I'm really crossing my fingers.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to get some of your opinions about this. I put in my other post that I cant get into one of the classes I'd like to retake, which is specifically Bio II. I'm not sure if I will be able to get in at this point, but I found out that there is a community college offering the course online with seats available. Do I go with the stigma of having a pre-req done at a community college (it would be my only pre-req at a non-4 year school), or do I suck it up with the lower GPA and just apply?

Do it at the CC. I retook 3 courses at a CC including a chem 2 course and had absolutely no issues with them.

I just got accepted off the alternate list (or wait list) @ WVSOM... I will most likely decline the acceptance since I already had another acceptance from a cheaper school... I really like WVSOM, so it is a tough decision...

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted off the alternate list (or wait list) @ WVSOM... I will most likely decline the acceptance since I already had another acceptance from a cheaper school... I really like WVSOM, so it is a tough decision...
It says your MCAT is a 20. Did you retake?

This is exactly the motivation I need. I won't be applying for a couple years because I'm going to take a year and a half of retakes/remaining courses to finish up my degree, but I know that's somewhere around the stats I'm going to have (but pushing for a much higher MCAT, I've been following the sn2ed this summer strictly). Definitely makes me feel like I have a chance if I put the work in when I'm sitting at a 2.5 cGPA at the moment. :)

An LCME school in a tropical paradise? I think not.
...that is if they're ready to listen and speak in Spanish 24/7. Yes, textbooks might be in English, but most PR schools are taught in Spanish and that might be a challenge for some.

...that is if they're ready to listen and speak in Spanish 24/7. Yes, textbooks might be in English, but most PR schools are taught in Spanish and that might be a challenge for some.

I never claimed it was right for everyone. Temp speaks fluently and as such it works for him.