2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since we're in the spirit of updating, I just took a look at my AACOMAS app and for some reason my GPA was way off from where I thought it was...

2.94/3.13/27 (8/9/10) Interview: ACOM, Nova, Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM Acceptance: ACOM
Wow, congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

In honor of updating the list. Sgpa:3.06, cgpa 3.37, MCAT 24 9/7/8. Interviews: LMU-DCOM, KUMC, acceptances: LMU-DCOM

LMU DCOM class of 2018

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congratulations!

Haha, thanks. It was a little less impressive when I thought I was above 3.0 in both GPA's. Once that 2.x is put up there, it seems like a whole different situation.

Haha, thanks. It was a little less impressive when I thought I was above 3.0 in both GPA's. Once that 2.x is put up there, it seems like a whole different situation.
Was the 2.9 your overall?

@user3

With a 3.55/3.25 and 33 MCAT, would you graduate me from the underdog category?

I retook a 26 for that 33! It was worth it!

@user3

With a 3.55/3.25 and 33 MCAT, would you graduate me from the underdog category?

I retook a 26 for that 33! It was worth it!
yes yes yes yes yes. I would also apply to about 15 "low tier" (RFU, NYMC, Drexel, Albany, etc) MD (assuming you have well rounded EC's)

paging people on the original list we haven't heard from:

@akumar29
@alakermsu23
@Albein
@CajunMedic
@Cookiesncreamm
@dedicated2be
@Drmo0ose
@DrOne
@DrSFU
@dxu
@gamebl0uses
@GIpremed
@GregoryMD
@Hunterthekidd
@Imrizzle
@jsky
@kmann11
@kp11
@Melomare17
@MIDOHopeful
@Owl1414
@PastNastificate
@piii
@Points
@Ponderer313
@PSimon
@RN26
@rupyness
@scrubsman
@shinytofu
@sillybiogirl38
@verynice

please update us regarding how your application cycle has been (any interviews, acceptances, etc). would also be curious to know where you applied.

Thank you ahead of time to any of you that responds.

Hey guys!

Sorry for late reply but here is the final word....

2.95 sGPA, 3.05 cGPA, 28 MCAT
Interviews: Touro NY, Alabama, Liberty University, LMU DCOM, PNWU
Accepted: Liberty, Alabama
Attending: Liberty :)

Reactions: 1 users
Was the 2.9 your overall?

2.94 sGPA 3.13cGPA

I also originally applied w/o my grad GPA. With one semester of grad work on my updated app, it (only) brought me up to 2.99 sGPA. Touro was the only one who saw that before sending me an ii.

This is for people that got into DO schools.

How important is the letter from a DO?

Since I have good stats for DO (3.55/3.25, 33), will some schools "give me a bit of slack" for missing that DO letter?

This is for people that got into DO schools.

How important is the letter from a DO?

Since I have good stats for DO (3.55/3.25, 33), will some schools "give me a bit of slack" for missing that DO letter?
I don't think anyone can realistically gauge that. That said, if you are planning on a better known school, don't feel like hot stuff. You're barely average for those schools when taking both GPA and MCAT together. A letter from a DO may or may not make a difference.

Since we're in the spirit of updating, I just took a look at my AACOMAS app and for some reason my GPA was way off from where I thought it was...

2.94/3.13/27 (8/9/10) Interview: ACOM, Nova, Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM Acceptance: ACOM
How extensive were your ECs? I'm right around your neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
How extensive were your ECs? I'm right around your neighborhood.

I like to think they were above average (but I'm pretty sure most people would say that about themselves). I worked full-time in a clinical setting for a year and was an EMT for 5 years before that (I was able to put 2000+ volunteer hours on my app which may or may not have been impressive...I like to think it was). Besides that, only about 20 hours of shadowing (half DO, half MD), a low-level exec position in a pre-med club for one semester and a variety of unique experiences (travel, athletics, arts, volunteer, etc.)

Another non-EC related thing that I'm fairly certain helped me get those ii's was a 4.0 in Inorganic chem and a 3.6 in Organic Chem. I was asked about how I got those grades at every interview I went to.

I like to think they were above average (but I'm pretty sure most people would say that about themselves). I worked full-time in a clinical setting for a year and was an EMT for 5 years before that (I was able to put 2000+ volunteer hours on my app which may or may not have been impressive...I like to think it was). Besides that, only about 20 hours of shadowing (half DO, half MD), a low-level exec position in a pre-med club for one semester and a variety of unique experiences (travel, athletics, arts, volunteer, etc.)

Another non-EC related thing that I'm fairly certain helped me get those ii's was a 4.0 in Inorganic chem and a 3.6 in Organic Chem. I was asked about how I got those grades at every interview I went to.
Those do sound pretty solid, especially the extensive volunteering. Did you apply day 1? Also, did you address your low GPA in your personal statement?

Those do sound pretty solid, especially the extensive volunteering. Did you apply day 1? Also, did you address your low GPA in your personal statement?

Yea, sent it in day 1. I learned my lesson from the cycle before that where I wasn't verified until mid-November.

I briefly mentioned something about how material from a class pertained to what I did at work, and then talked about how it further stimulated my interest in learning....so basically, no, at least not directly.

@user3

Stats: 3.6c 3.8s 24(8/6/10)

I'm a boss with interviews and had a couple of neat experiences. Not URM and English is my only language I just suck at reading apparently.

Interviews: lmudcom, pcom-ga, wcucom, wvsom, vcom va, lucom

Interviews declined: kycom, mucom

Accepted: lmudcom, pcom-ga, wvsom, vcom va, lucom

Rejected: cusom (pre secondary for low verbal)

I beat the odds and I'm going to be a physician. You CAN get in with a 6VR.

Waitlisted: wcucom (was already sitting on several acceptances when I went on this one and on top of that wasn't impressed with the school.)

Reactions: 2 users
@user3

I'm a boss with interviews and had a couple of neat experiences. Not URM and English is my only language I just suck at reading apparently.

Waitlisted: wcucom (was already sitting on several acceptances when I went on this one and on top of that wasn't impressed with the school.)
Which will you be attending?

Didnt get in anywhere, no interviews, nothing. Applied to 10 DO schools.. back to the drawing board.

Holy cow, why do u think that is? Did you apply late? Did u have any red flags?

My stats are very similar to yours and make me a bit nervous about the cycle.

Lucky to have gotten an acceptance. I applied to only 4 schools (in February!!!!!) but got an interview at ATSU-SOMA a couple of weeks ago and acceptance 4 days ago. PHEW.

Reactions: 3 users
Lucky to have gotten an acceptance. I applied to only 4 schools (in February!!!!!) but got an interview at ATSU-SOMA a couple of weeks ago and acceptance 4 days ago. PHEW.
Congrats!

Congrats!
Thank you! I am going to the pre-med society meeting and presenting what NOT to do.... I am exceptionally lucky. Applying late was a horrible choice. Applying to 4 schools was a worse choice.

Thank you! I am going to the pre-med society meeting and presenting what NOT to do.... I am exceptionally lucky. Applying late was a horrible choice. Applying to 4 schools was a worse choice.
Some can afford to apply late if they have strong stats... It would be nice to share your experience with other premeds... I either would not advise anyone to apply past December if your stats are not above average (like 3.6+ GPA and 28+ MCAT)..

Some can afford to apply late if they have strong stats... It would be nice to share your experience with other premeds... I either would not advise anyone to apply past December if your stats are not above average (like 3.6+ GPA and 28+ MCAT)..
I had a 3.4 GPA and a 26 MCAT. However, I had strong volunteer work as well as good work history as a scribe. Also had good LOR's. The last LOR took me TWO MONTHS to get, which is why I sent out all my secondaries so late.

Last edited:
I had a 3.47 GPA and a 26 MCAT. However, I had strong volunteer work with tornado relief as well as good work history as an emergency medicine scribe. Also had good LOR's. The last LOR took me TWO MONTHS to get, which is why I sent out all my secondaries so late.
Did you ask them to 'defer' your acceptance? cause I see you put 'class of 2019' in your signature field...

Did you ask them to 'defer' your acceptance? cause I see you put 'class of 2019' in your signature field...
Sure did. I had signed a new lease before I realized I had gotten an interview. Class starts in July, so I just deferred so I wouldn't have to deal with the termination fees and furthermore I could get the CHC I wanted

Sure did. I had signed a new lease before I realized I had gotten an interview. Class starts in July, so I just deferred so I wouldn't have to deal with the termination fees and furthermore I could get the CHC I wanted
SOMA is a great school based on what I have heard... Good luck buddy!

@user3

Where have you chosen to go? Also, did you get accepted to VCOM-CC?

Last edited:
someone said they were recently accepted to MSUCOM with a 21 @DET_313_DOC

Last edited:
Here's an underdog story for everyone. First and foremost know that God is good! I've never posted anything on SDN before, I'm a ghostface stalker searching out profiles and stories that could relate to my own and provide some sign of hope. Here are my stats: 3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 1st attempt at MCAT 2010 12P (v4, ps4, bs4) last attempt 2012 21O (v7, ps6, bs8)...The MCAT has been the most discouraging and disappointing thing I've faced in quite sometime. I am a non - traditional applicant, early 30s, wife, 2 kids, etc. Anyway...I applied to only 1 MD school in 2012 hoping for a spot in their post-bacc program. However, I didn't do my research and missed some of the key requirements. Fast forward to present day...well, applied again to the MD school knowing that with the 2012 MCAT score and now degree in hand, I'd be better off except, they look for an 8 in all 3 sections but a 21 min. But oh well I have faith in God and thought why tell myself No, anything is possible...Needless to say, I received a rejection almost immediately and still no contact regarding the post-bacc...I made an advising appt with an advisor down at the dmc MSUCOM campus...long story short, I was told that my MCAT score was too low and I wouldn't get in and to study and prepare to retake. Like most, I was defeated and depleted, my dream started to get further and further from me. However, with prayer and urging from some friends I submitted an app to MSUCOM in November and completed the secondary and submitted it on 12/9/14. Afterwards, crickets...except for the emails that came telling me of the status of the upcoming class as far as admission numbers...then in April unexpected, after receiving communication that the class was full, I was offered a spot on the waitlist...look at what God did! Initially told that I shouldn't apply and now offered a spot on the waitlist, told you God is good! Stalking SDN and talking to others, I started to prep for another summer of studying, while managing a family and work, and I tell you I wasn't looking forward to it at all! This morning I missed a call. I looked at it and saw a 517 area code...my stomach dropped to my feet...I listened to the message and nothing not even a hint of the purpose for the call. I immediately called back...drum roll...............I was offered admission into the incoming 2014 class! The wind was knocked out of me and a feeling I can't explain began to take over me! I want to share this with you all because we all have different paths...keep the faith and know that God has a plan for you and He will keep you so long as you remain faithful and committed! Good luck to everyone, I pray and hope you all have success!

Reactions: 12 users
Any underdogs who were accepted willing to let me read their personal statement? Every example I've read has been from an exceptional student it seems. Having a hard time getting mine going.

Congrats on getting in, what do you believe was your main difficulty with the Mcat however?

Any underdogs who were accepted willing to let me read their personal statement? Every example I've read has been from an exceptional student it seems. Having a hard time getting mine going.
You can look up some pretty good personal statements online. If you need any advice, feel free to PM me. I thought the personal statement was the most difficult part of the application.

Inbox me your email, I'll let you read mine. 3.4cgpa, 3.1sgpa, 24MCAT

LMU DCOM class of 2018

The first time I hadn't even studied for the MCAT, I was so naive to think because I've been taking these science classes I should be good...I was so wrong! I'm a first generation college student and a lot of what I've learned has been from trial and error...I then started to study, but again having to work full time, school full time, kids, etc. I never was able to study how I was supposed to...I was using the study plan by sn2ed, and for me, it always took longer when studying...if I thought to go for 2 hrs, it took me 4...but I would say that because of that terrible first score, I carried that with me and it was very much a complex...also, I only did 2 practice exams, money was extremely tight for me...but, for everyone, know that the MCAT is not what defines you as going to be a good or bad doctor! We all have experiences and purpose, each of our stories has value!

Here's my story! I applied really late. Probably did my primary application in mid to late January. Then after turning in my primary and secondary apps (turnaround on secondaries were 1-2 days), I found out one of my recommendations was not formatted correctly. This took another 2 weeks to resolve. So, I was probably declared complete at schools around early to mid March. I had interview requests pretty soon following that were scheduled all within April. I ended up getting in to all the schools I interviewed at.

For reference, my stats are 3.8 gpa, 31 mcat, lots of ECs (many involved with underserved communities). I also applied to some newer schools since I applied so late, many school deadlines had already passed. So, it's definitely possible to get in to schools even if you apply really late, but you'll probably have to have higher stats and you'll have a smaller pool of schools to choose from.

Here's my story! I applied really late. Probably did my primary application in mid to late January. Then after turning in my primary and secondary apps (turnaround on secondaries were 1-2 days), I found out one of my recommendations was not formatted correctly. This took another 2 weeks to resolve. So, I was probably declared complete at schools around early to mid March. I had interview requests pretty soon following that were scheduled all within April. I ended up getting in to all the schools I interviewed at.

For reference, my stats are 3.8 gpa, 31 mcat, lots of ECs (many involved with underserved communities). I also applied to some newer schools since I applied so late, many school deadlines had already passed. So, it's definitely possible to get in to schools even if you apply really late, but you'll probably have to have higher stats and you'll have a smaller pool of schools to choose from.

Nicely done on that GPA and MCAT. You certainly deserved an acceptance with those stats. Congrats!

where are you heading?

So... were the DO apps the only application this cycle you sent out?

So... were the DO apps the only application this cycle you sent out?

Actually, no. I applied to MD schools first without really having any idea of DO schools. I got some interviews from MD schools, but then I started doing an internship with one of the health clinics I volunteer at and I actually was able to see a lot more of public health and some of the major issues that people in underserved communities face. A friend of mine told me about DO schools late last year, so I looked into it and found that they were actually a lot more to my liking in practice and principles, so I thought I'd give it a shot and just see what happens.

I am an ashamed underdog cGPA 2.6, sGPA 2.8 , MCAT 26 ....very few ECs and a LARGE work history, now considering Caribbean or UAG medical schools. It sucks growing up in South Central Los Angeles being broke and working 2 jobs to survive while attending college with out financial aid. Life's a fight you must keep getting up and push forth.